WSJ: iPad mini with Samsung-sourced Retina display likely coming in Q4

Comments

• Reply 101 of 139
    drblankdrblank Posts: 3,385member

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rogifan View Post

iPad mini got rave reviews.

The iPad mini also outsold the Nexus 7.  The Nexus 7 only sold around 7 million units.  The iPad mini sold about that many in the first couple of weeks.  Even the iPad 4 ran games better than the Nexus 10, which supposedly had better graphics.  Oops.  Sorry, Nexus isn't that great of a product. Not that many great apps and third party hardware.

In certain industries Android products aren't really used.  Go to a website like Sweetwater.com which sells recording equipment and music creation/production products, they have a section dedicated to iOS, but NOTHING for Android.  Oops. When you see bands perform, they are typically using MacBooks and now getting into using iPads during their performances.

• Reply 102 of 139

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gatorguy View Post

Oh, that's much better than using fanboy (which I hate too). Instead of Android users juist call them all stupid looking kids with no business sense who need to grow up but never will. image

Honestly, most of the hardcore Android geeks have NO business sense.  The Android users that I know, didn't even know what the latest release of OS is out there. Disturbing to me that even a hardcore Android geek didn't know that 4.2.2 was the latest as his Droid phone was running 4.1.  Truly pathetic.  They typically don't understand the mentality of an IT professional.  I used to work for some of the largest corporate resellers, I have to tell you, if we had to sell Android tablets, I would be embarrassed to sell them.  I would also be embarrassed to sell Windows 8.  I think Microsoft REALLY messed up with Windows 8.  SERIOUSLY messed up.  I used to sell DOS based PCs, Windows, Mac OS and OS X, and also various flavors of Unix (AIX, Solaris, HP-UX).  Coming from that mentality, Android would a COMPLETE failure.  Maybe that's why HP and Dell have had little success in their market place.  To me, Android is more consumer oriented and not a serious player for the Enterprise market or serious business minded people.  I would probably have a difficult time mentioning the name Google with anything related a serious IT product without laughing uncontrollably.  Google doesn't understand the term "Best Practices".  They understand shotgun approach and buying market share in throwing a bunch of $HIT out to the market and see what sticks.

• Reply 103 of 139
    philboogiephilboogie Posts: 7,675member
    poksi wrote: »
    CPU/GPU that can power this out there for almost a year, in iPad 4.

Yes, but the battery life will drop below 10 hours. And that is one of the iPads' selling point.
    poksi wrote: »
    Nope. another iPad mini with non-retina display is more stupid idea than heavier and thicker model with IPS 326dpi display. Thanks god, Apple knows that.

I disagree: I think the pockatability (size and weight) of the Mini is the selling point. People bought the 1st Gen even though it came with a non-retina display.

Personally I think the next Mini will have:

retina
    10 hour battery life
    same or lower weight
    same thinness, or slightly thicker, as they've done with the 3rd Gen 9.7

and they'll release it when the tech is there.
  • Reply 104 of 139
    rogifanrogifan Posts: 10,669member
    drblank wrote: »
    The iPad mini also outsold the Nexus 7.  The Nexus 7 only sold around 7 million units.  The iPad mini sold about that many in the first couple of weeks.  Even the iPad 4 ran games better than the Nexus 10, which supposedly had better graphics.  Oops.  Sorry, Nexus isn't that great of a product. Not that many great apps and third party hardware.

In certain industries Android products aren't really used.  Go to a website like Sweetwater.com which sells recording equipment and music creation/production products, they have a section dedicated to iOS, but NOTHING for Android.  Oops. When you see bands perform, they are typically using MacBooks and now getting into using iPads during their performances.
    I'm just going off reviews I've read. And most reviews have said V2 is much improved over V1. Go to Amazon and read reviews. Lots of 5 star reviews.
  • Reply 105 of 139
    rogifanrogifan Posts: 10,669member
    philboogie wrote: »
    Yes, but the battery life will drop below 10 hours. And that is one of the iPads' selling point.
    I disagree: I think the pockatability (size and weight) of the Mini is the selling point. People bought the 1st Gen even though it came with a non-retina display.

Personally I think the next Mini will have:

retina
    10 hour battery life
    same or lower weight
    same thinness, or slightly thicker, as they've done with the 3rd Gen 9.7

and they'll release it when the tech is there.
    But Apple can sell a retina and non-retina version. So those people who care most about 10hr+ battery life can stick with the non-retina and those who would trade battery life for better display can get retina version. That will be the unique selling feature as with the competition you don't really get a choice.
  • Reply 106 of 139
    MarvinMarvin Posts: 15,326moderator
    snova wrote: »
    matrix07 wrote: »
    Except for the battery life.
    The new Nexus 7 advertises 9 Hr of battery life, in reality its more like 6. If Apple did this you know we would have a "battery-gate" and the media would go nuts.  But if Google does this, nothing....  instead we get "great price!"

To be fair, Android tablet batteries are designed under the assumption that at least 50% of the time they sit in a drawer so that should really be part of the battery tests and you'll see they manage to last an extra hour under those conditions. ;)
    ireland wrote:
    16 GB iPad mini (non-retina) $299
    32 GB iPad mini with retina display $399

I think that's a good way to do it. A lower resolution display on the low end will help them maintain the low entry price and margins and pushes the average selling price up. I don't really care one way or the other about Retina displays and am happy with either Retina or lower res.
    herbapou wrote:
    Way to expensive imo they wont get away with $400 mini with a nexus 7 at $200.

The Nexus sells at no profit and Google has it listed at $229. If Google had Apple's gross margins, it would cost about $329 so $399 isn't that far off when you get a much bigger display and better build quality. $299 is better from a buyer's point of view and it means one resolution across all iPads but I don't think it's essential. Apple by far outsells Android tablets so it's not like there's any urgency to fend off the competition.
  • Reply 107 of 139
    flaneurflaneur Posts: 4,526member
    rogifan wrote: »
    But Apple can sell a retina and non-retina version. So those people who care most about 10hr+ battery life can stick with the non-retina and those who would trade battery life for better display can get retina version. That will be the unique selling feature as with the competition you don't really get a choice.

This is one of those trade-offs Tim Cook was talking about. If Apple ever backslides on battery life, I'd be very (unpleasantly) surprised. They'd go thicker first. But really I bet they're holding out for IGZO.
  • Reply 108 of 139

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rogifan View Post

I'm just going off reviews I've read. And most reviews have said V2 is much improved over V1. Go to Amazon and read reviews. Lots of 5 star reviews.

I honestly don't care about reviews since they just look at specs.  Those types of review bore me.  I want to use a product that runs the apps that allow me to do something with a product or be able to integrate with various hardware that third parties come out with that can provide a solution.

Go to www.mackie.com.  Do you see them making an professional grade mixing console that integrates an Android tablet?  NOPE. They only do iPads.  Check out the DL1608.  Probably one of the coolest pieces of hardware to come out.   They don't support Android anything.  Apple develops professional grade apps like Final Cut Pro and Logic and the iPad is now becoming a device that integrates with these types of products.  So there really is no reason to even consider Android anything.

Go check out wave machine labs software called Auria, it only runs on an iPad.  Android is a no show. Fairlight app is only on iPad, not Android.  Omni TR is on iPad not Android.  Alesis makes docking stations for iPads, not Android tablets.  ReBirth for iOS and not Android.   The list goes on for who in the music creation and production world that support iOS devices, but don't support Android.  So, I don't know what to tell you other than what the specs of an Android tablet are completely useless if the apps/hardware I am looking using aren't available for that platform.  For us musicians and people in the music industry have really nothing to choose from that supports Android platform.  There might be a couple of tiny companies that actually might have an Android app, but you have to look pretty hard and nothing is really that special.   DO YOU UNDERSTAND?  DOES YOUR BRAIN COMPREHEND that word FAILURE?  That's what the Android is to people like me.  Miserable failure.    I guess if you want to do basic tablet apps, it doesn't matter what you use, but to certain industries, NOPE.  Sorry.

• Reply 109 of 139

Quote:

Originally Posted by Flaneur View Post

This is one of those trade-offs Tim Cook was talking about. If Apple ever backslides on battery life, I'd be very (unpleasantly) surprised. They'd go thicker first. But really I bet they're holding out for IGZO.

I'd agree they are probably getting IGZO technology with their fingerprint technology up to snuff for production is my guess.

• Reply 110 of 139

Something you can't do on Android.

Sorry Android. You just are a failure for the music professional.

• Reply 111 of 139
    gatorguygatorguy Posts: 24,213member
    drblank wrote: »
     I guess if you want to do basic tablet apps, it doesn't matter what you use.

And for many tablet users you've absolutely nailed it. It doesn't really matter which tablet they use as long as the build quality is decent and it lets them run some games, check email and browse the net or perhaps read a book or two. That's really all most users probably do even with an iPad IMO.

If you're relying on your tablet in a professional setting then of course you should verify it's fit for purpose. The iPad is probably the proper and maybe even only choice for many in that segment.

EDIT: If I ever find that I absolutely have to use a tablet to build 18 concurrent audio tracks at once with WaveMachine Lab I have no doubt it will be using an iPad. ;)

On the other hand if I can't afford to buy each family member their own tablet and find I need to share one the Nexus 7 might be the better choice over an iPad Mini unless I didn't mind my kids or friends having access to all my info and apps. Each person having their own user profile, even a guest account, is something the iPad doesn't do. Different strokes. . .
  • Reply 112 of 139

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gatorguy View Post

The "cheap memory" claim came from someone's imagination. As it turns out it was simply software, corrected with the latest version of Android already rolled out to those old Nexus 7's. Reportedly the battery use time has been improved with the new 4.3x update too.

Yeah a total figment of people's imagination. You are such a tool or rather a troll.

• Reply 113 of 139
    Yeah a total figment of people's imagination. You are such a tool or rather a troll.

Yes the cheap memory claim was a figment of someone's imagination. If only name-calling could serve as proof you were right you'd be spot on. :rolleyes:

That's OK, I'll do your research for you. No reason to go to the trouble yourself with separating fact from fiction.

http://gigaom.com/2013/07/30/got-a-laggy-old-nexus-7-heres-why-android-4-3-will-restore-its-performance/

EDIT: You have your own tech blog yet don't check a claim before ridiculing it??
  • Reply 114 of 139
    slurpyslurpy Posts: 5,384member
    If this is true, just goes to show the level of extreme horse-shit all these stories and analyst predictions are, and how this site should never, ever again publish a single one. I mean, there's been like 77,201 stories in the past few months of how the next mini won't have a Retina display, and that it wouldn't be betting it until 2014. I pretty much believed it, because of the consensus and the sheer # of stories. Now, it looks it might all be horse-shit. Either way, it doesn't matter. It's clear all these people are talking completely out of their asses, and the WSJ has a good track record as far as these things go.

Apple looks to be releasing the ultimate iPads this fall, and that's exciting.
  • Reply 115 of 139
    philboogiephilboogie Posts: 7,675member
    gatorguy wrote: »

Do you know if updating an Android OS is 'just a few taps away' on these devices?

Thanks for that link. I saw the MS disk defrag; is that required on Android, in general? As far as I know this is done 'constantly' on iOS & OSX. Asking you since you post many insightful Android posts.
  • Reply 116 of 139
    philboogie wrote: »
    Do you know if updating an Android OS is 'just a few taps away' on these devices?

Thanks for that link. I saw the MS disk defrag; is that required on Android, in general? As far as I know this is done 'constantly' on iOS & OSX. Asking you since you post many insightful Android posts.

It was't even a few taps. It was downloaded automatically for my Nexus 7 and all I had to do is approve it with a single tap. I didn't have to go look for it.
  • Reply 117 of 139
    rogifan wrote: »
    Hmm...because its the WSJ it seems more like a controlled leak by Apple. When WSJ says "people familiar with the matter", isn't that basically Apple? Plus the fact this story came out after 9to5Mac's story leads me to believe Apple wants to squash these rumors.

First, Apple wouldn't name the supplier if it is a "stealth marketing" leak as you claim. They avoid co- branding their hardware unlike most commodity PC clone makers who stick "intel inside" and "GeForce" stickers all over their laptops. It's more likely that these leaks are coming from their suppliers.
  • Reply 118 of 139
    nhtnht Posts: 4,522member

Quote:

Originally Posted by matrix07 View Post

I'd love a retina mimi too. I'm just being cautious at this point. If Google can't have a good battery life, how can Apple? Unless we get IGZO.

Jesus people...do y'all really think that they are baking improved battery life into OSX Mavericks and NOT also into iOS 7?  The Timer Coalescing feature appears to reduce CPU activity by 72% on OSX Mavericks.

• Reply 119 of 139
    pujones1pujones1 Posts: 222member
    I just saw this article on my local news here in Houston. They were saying that there will be a new iPad Mini this Christmas according to the WSJ. I guess it's a definite since WSJ said it. LMAO!!! SMH.

NO ANNOUNCEMENT FROM APPLE NEEDED.
  • Reply 120 of 139
    herbapouherbapou Posts: 2,228member

Quote:

Originally Posted by Flaneur View Post

Herb, where are you getting this plastic back rumor from? I asked you in the other thread when you mentioned it.

Its mention in the WSJ article but it could also mean its going to be colors like the ipod touch, so alumium shells and for the new ipad mini.

I saw a rumor about plastic shells like the ones for the iphones C, I will try to find it. It was 2 weeks ago I think.