Leaked photos show off mini-like rear case of Apple's supposed next-gen iPad

Posted:
in iPad edited January 2014
The fifth generation of Apple's full-sized iPad isn't expected to see release until this fall, but new images have emerged showing what may be the rear casing of the device, and it appears to take sizable design cues from the iPad mini.

The new images showed up Thursday on Fanatic Fone, revealing a rear casing that looks similar in construction to last year's iPad mini. Reportedly, the dimensions of the case are 24x16.8 centimeters (9.45x6.61 inches), and it weighs only 100 grams (3.53 ounces).

The case is said to have a shorter distance than its predecessors between the border and the screen, measuring about 3mm. As is the case with the mini, there are two holes cut out for the volume buttons, and the loud speaker is placed on the bottom of the rear housing.

Rumors began flying about the build of the fifth-generation iPad shortly after the revelation of the iPad mini. Those rumors have consistently predicted that the device will take its design cues from its smaller counterpart.

The months since the iPad mini's unveiling have seen multiple supposed leaks of a rear casing for the device, all largely adhering to the same build.

Industry observers believe that the next-generation iPad will be 25 percent lighter than its predecessor and 15 percent thinner. It may also carry a GF2 touch panel, a change from the current iPad's GG touch tech, which would aid in lowering power consumption. Further, the fifth-generation iPad could see the introduction of Apple's A7X processor, which would presumably give it a performance boost over its predecessor.

Comments

• Reply 2 of 31
    gordygordy Posts: 1,004member
    Yep yep...my iPad 2 will be sold as soon as this is announced. Gotta love the resale value of Apple products...
  • Reply 3 of 31
    rogifanrogifan Posts: 10,669member
    Hmm...first a retina mini leak, now a 5th gen with mini design leak. Is it just a coincidence that these leaks are coming out the same day as the Moto X announcement? Somehow I think not.
  • Reply 4 of 31
    brutus009brutus009 Posts: 356member

This update makes me want to stick with the 9.7 iPad instead of switching to the retina Mini when I upgrade.  Of course, that's exactly why it would be brilliant for Apple to release this first and hold off on the retina Mini.

• Reply 5 of 31
    It's looks fake. As in the apple logo cutout is a little bit off.
  • Reply 6 of 31
    philboogiephilboogie Posts: 7,675member
    What, no stereo speakers? I would expect that. Stereo mics - I don't think so; it's terrible enough to see these voice memo's popup in iTunes and listening to your own voice.
  • Reply 7 of 31
    rogifanrogifan Posts: 10,669member
    brutus009 wrote: »
    This update makes me want to stick with the 9.7 iPad instead of switching to the retina Mini when I upgrade.  Of course, that's exactly why it would be brilliant for Apple to release this first and hold off on the retina Mini.
    Why is that brilliant when its obvious a lot of people prefer the mini display size? I'm sure Apple would rather the mini cannibalize full size iPad sales than people buy a Nexus 7 or Kindle.
  • Reply 8 of 31
    chabigchabig Posts: 641member

Quote:

Originally Posted by PhilBoogie View Post

What, no stereo speakers? I would expect that. Stereo mics - I don't think so; it's terrible enough to see these voice memo's popup in iTunes and listening to your own voice.

Stereo speakers are a waste in a small device because you can't get stereo separation with them so close to each other.

• Reply 9 of 31
    arlorarlor Posts: 532member
    philboogie wrote: »

Probably left and right of the middle. Looks like a gap there.

What I would give for stereo and FRONT facing speakers. I know there are aesthetic issues, but I love the sound quality on the one x. Rear speakers that get muffled by your hand or lap or table or case just can't compete.
  • Reply 10 of 31
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by THEMAC1NT0SH View Post

No, you are wrong on that assumption. It's the same look from the iPad 4. It's just the inside of the shell that always looks like that. See link below, iPad 4:

http://d3nevzfk7ii3be.cloudfront.net/igi/DXkkmV6lcQLqBlLJ.huge
  • Reply 11 of 31
    andysolandysol Posts: 2,506member

Quote:

Originally Posted by Arlor View Post

What I would give for stereo and FRONT facing speakers. I know there are aesthetic issues, but I love the sound quality on the one x. Rear speakers that get muffled by your hand or lap or table or case just can't compete.

I agree and Disagree.  It's give and take. I want the front-facing sound without the incredibly ugly aesthetics of it.  But we can't have our cake and eat it too. I think Apple would rather you just wear headphones if you care about "quality" and you can have "good enough" if you just want to hear.

But that said- these speakers are on the bottom- like the mini.  Currently, the speaker is on the back right of the iPad.  I'm curious if this will be louder because there will be 2 speakers (albeit smaller speaker area).

• Reply 12 of 31
    It looks so beautiful the shape. I will be getting one for sure.
  • Reply 13 of 31
    jkichlinejkichline Posts: 1,369member

That's the inside of the case, so the plastic piece is larger than the logo and may be affixed with adhesive, etc.

• Reply 14 of 31
    tallest skiltallest skil Posts: 43,388member

Not a cutout; the silver plate is already in place.
  • Reply 15 of 31
    qamfqamf Posts: 87member

Dammit, I first saw the image wrong as was thinking in my head "Amazing! 4 speakers, one for each corner" then I looked close and was sad.

-QAMF

• Reply 16 of 31

Quote:

Originally Posted by chabig View Post

Stereo speakers are a waste in a small device because you can't get stereo separation with them so close to each other.

Not sure why people don't understand this (even more so on a phone). And then you also have the "which is left and which is right" issue (when using in landscape vs portrait). So you'd really at least 3 speakers so it could always be "stereo" in any orientation and even then, the sound quality and stereo effect would be quite suspect. If you want decent sound, use headphones.

• Reply 17 of 31
    flaneurflaneur Posts: 4,526member
    GF/2 will save on thickness and weight. This is the first time I've seen it linked to power saving. Can anyone confirm? I think it's being confused with IGZO, which would save power, and thus battery size, i.e., more thickness and weight. GF/2, where the touch sensor layer is a film bonded directly to the glass, can be used with IGZO screens too, as far as I know.

I'd better stop. Rhymes are pressing from the depths to be heard. IGZOphilia strikes deep, into your mind it will creep . . .

I wish for a display expert to be posting here. I don't see much real info out there.
  • Reply 18 of 31
    If the measurements are correct, it looks like they are losing around 1.7cm from the width of the ipad 4th gen. A much thinner bezel. I think it will look really nice.
  • Reply 19 of 31
    I was hoping for a flash LED like on the excellent 5th gen iPod Touch but I don't see a hole for it. That thing is vastly more useful as a flashlight. It is really bright and makes getting around in the dark a breeze.
  • Reply 20 of 31
    It is amazing how many leaks there are for the iPhone, iPad mini, iPad! Nearly every day for the entire month of July there was at least one story about a leak.

The funniest leaks are from the WSJ. The paper has been a joke since Rupert took over. The paper actually thinks its sources know more than other sources. What has become common for the paper is it waits for multiple leakers to present the same information then decides to write an article about the information.