Flex cable claimed to be from Apple's 6th-gen iPod touch hints at 2013 update

Posted:
in iPod + iTunes + AppleTV edited January 2014
While little has been said of a potential update to Apple's iPod touch media player this fall, a new component claimed to be from a sixth-generation model suggests a refresh could be in the works.

iPod touch

A picture showing a flex cable claimed to be from the next iPod touch was spotted on Thursday by Letem Svetem Applem. The cable is said to connect the lock and volume buttons on the top of the device to the internal hardware.

The part does not suggest what, if any, changes may be made to a new model this year. In the past, Apple has used components from last year's iPhone model to power the latest iPod touch, which would give a rumored sixth-gen model an A6 processor.

Last year, the iPod touch was given its most significant redesign in some time, adding a taller 4-inch Retina display, and also including a wrist strap that attaches to a retracting "Loop" holder on the back of the device.

Apple also issued a surprise update in May when it introduced an entry-level 16-gigabyte iPod touch for $229, lacking the wrist strap or rear facing iSight camera. It also lacks the color options of the higher-capacity models, being offered in just black-on-silver. That model replaced a legacy fifth-generation 16-gigabyte version Apple had previously offered.

Though the iPod lineup is no longer a major part of Apple's overall business, the company has repeatedly said that the iPod touch accounts for more than half of all iPod sales. The device also serves as an important entry-level iOS device for the company, offering access to the App Store and iOS ecosystem for an entry price of $229, without the need for a smartphone contract or data plan.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 31
    The beat goes on... [URL]
  • Reply 2 of 31
    jusephejusephe Posts: 108member
    I want it to be THINERRRR ! :D
  • Reply 3 of 31
    Thinner?
    So you can shave with it???
  • Reply 4 of 31
    leesmithleesmith Posts: 121member
    I wish the iPod became a full-fledged fitness device for cycling, running, etc.
  • Reply 5 of 31
    "Apple also issued a surprise update in May when it introduced an entry-level 16-gigabyte iPod touch for $229, lacking the wrist strap or forward facing iSight camera."

That is incorrect. The 16GB version has a FaceTime camera and lacks a rear camera.
  • Reply 6 of 31
    jakebjakeb Posts: 562member
    I bet everything with a home button is getting a fingerprint scanner
  • Reply 7 of 31
    I don't see any major change. Hopefully a re-design. But I don't see a major change going to happen
  • Reply 8 of 31
    rogifanrogifan Posts: 10,669member
    georgeip5 wrote: »
    I don't see any major change. Hopefully a re-design. But I don't see a major change going to happen
    The iPod touch was just redesigned last year. Why does it need to be redesigned again?
  • Reply 9 of 31
    blackbookblackbook Posts: 1,361member

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rogifan View Post

The iPod touch was just redesigned last year. Why does it need to be redesigned again?

Agreed, the Touch looks great. Very fresh, modern, and highly desirable.

I expect an A6 and new color options, probably to go with iOS 7 and the iPhone 5C.

• Reply 10 of 31
    irelandireland Posts: 17,798member
    What year does the iPhone replace the iPod touch? That's the question.
  • Reply 11 of 31
    ireland wrote: »
    And A very stupid question that is.
  • Reply 12 of 31
    rcoleman1rcoleman1 Posts: 153member
    It's time the iPod touch went up to 128GB or more. Come on Apple!
  • Reply 13 of 31
    tallest skiltallest skil Posts: 43,388member
    ireland wrote: »

• Reply 14 of 31
    kavikkavik Posts: 37member

Quote:

That model replaced a legacy fifth-generation 16-gigabyte version Apple had previously offered.

Correction: the 2013 16GB model replaced the legacy fourth-generation version.

• Reply 15 of 31
    nonimusnonimus Posts: 60member

I just hope they incorporate the better quality home button found in the current iPhone 5.

• Reply 16 of 31
    nonimusnonimus Posts: 60member

Quote:

Originally Posted by jakeb View Post

I bet everything with a home button is getting a fingerprint scanner

I just hope they incorporate the better quality home button found in the current iPhone 5.

Home much could that cost?

• Reply 17 of 31
    nonimus wrote: »

Home much could that cost?

Please tell me that was intended to be a pun.
  • Reply 18 of 31

Quote:

Originally Posted by GeorgeiP5 View Post

Uhh people... Flip the right image over and you see it matches the left image. I don't see any major changes either. Heck, I don't see any minor changes.

• Reply 19 of 31
    andysolandysol Posts: 2,506member

The current iPod Touch pretty much breezes through anything you throw at it.  A faster processor would only make it that much better.

Of all the Apple products out there and their amazing designs- the iPad Mini, iMac, Retina MacBook Pro, etc.  In my opinion, the iPod Touch is the most impressive design of all of them.  It's so thin and light it makes the iPhone feel like a brick.

I remember when I picked up my iPhone 5 vs my 4S and thought "wow" because I was impressed with the weight and size.  But once I held the Touch I thought "How could they make it this thin and light?"

• Reply 20 of 31
    zozmanzozman Posts: 393member

I love my 5th Gen iPod touch, (Plants VS Zombies 2 just got the iOS 7 patch :D anyways), I don't see apple changing the design only after 1 year after it already had a redesign (i think they did it on the original shuffle?)

More so because the iPhone 5 & the iPad mini, probably the 5th gen iPad is taking similar design queues.

apple sometimes streamlines internal design on stuff, new smaller versions on the old CPUs free up space, smaller logic board thingys, so the cables need to be redesigned.