Google to become official Starbucks ISP as critics claim net neutrality backpedal

Comments

• Reply 41 of 84
    auxioauxio Posts: 2,753member

Quote:

Originally Posted by mstone View Post

I'm not sure if you know this but you can get hosting for like $10 a month and you don't even have to pay for the electricity.

I'm personally paying $7/month.  It's a couple of clicks to set up services like wikis, forums, blogs, email accounts, multiple virtual hosts, etc.  Plus guaranteed uptime, really large data caps, no power and hardware maintenance costs, etc (as you mentioned).  No brainer to let someone else handle the headache for that price.

• Reply 42 of 84
    matrix07matrix07 Posts: 1,993member

Quote:

Originally Posted by allenbf View Post

Very few people in this forum or other forums would complain about Google & ads if Google and Apple weren't competitors. Few complained about Google's ads prior to Android.  But people feel they need to justify their position (on both sides) by painting the competition as evil. 

It's pretty much high school, you're either at the nerd table or the cool kid table.

I sometimes wonder why people need to think higher of themselves when they support a dubious company. If you're fine with Google then fine, whatever works with you. It's your business after all. Just don't try to justify yourselves. This is just one example where's in the end we don't know what Google will do because frankly I don't think their words are trustworthy anymore. Do you trust a company who was ordered to delete datas but still keep that said datas?

Check Google history thoroughly before you trust any words they said. What they did and what they said is not always the same thing.

• Reply 43 of 84
    MacProMacPro Posts: 19,817member
    allenbf wrote: »
    Can't wait to see how many people chime in to say they'll avoid Starbucks now. Go on, then. Let's hear it.

Is the Kool-Aid better than coffee? ;-)

We all have to do our part. :D

Nice font. /s
  • Reply 44 of 84
    cpsrocpsro Posts: 3,223member

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gatorguy View Post

Wouldn't it be better to list several ISP's that don't' put any limits on the use of consumer data connections for commercial server purposes? Otherwise you've done nothing to disprove what I said.image

I haven't had to shop for an ISP in over 10 years, but try sonic.net or megapath.

• Reply 45 of 84

Quote:

I never drink blends. Single origin is the only way to go for me. I only drink micro-lots, preferably shade grown above 1400 meter on west facing slopes of a volcano near the coast with onshore prevailing wind.

Sounds yummie!!! Nothing wrong with blends, though. They are a way for sellers to create a distinctive, unique taste. Garuda Blend is one such.

• Reply 46 of 84
    Does it mean that the ATTWIFI SSID will disappear from SBX? Will my iPhone get updated so it automatically connects to the new network. I remember this was a selling point when AT&T first rolled out the iPhone.
  • Reply 47 of 84
    jungmarkjungmark Posts: 6,927member
    Google: hey we're all for net neutrality as long as we can scan every bit of data running across our network. Don't worry, you can trust us.
  • Reply 48 of 84
    gatorguygatorguy Posts: 24,575member
    cpsro wrote: »
    I haven't had to shop for an ISP in over 10 years, but try sonic.net or megapath.

Nope. Sonic.net isn't an ISP as much as a provider of commercial hosting services. Even then they place restrictions on how servers are used on their network too..
    http://www.netsonic.net/tos.php
  • Reply 49 of 84
    mstonemstone Posts: 11,510member

Quote:

Originally Posted by Cpsro View Post

Quote:

I never drink blends. Single origin is the only way to go for me. I only drink micro-lots, preferably shade grown above 1400 meter on west facing slopes of a volcano near the coast with onshore prevailing wind.

Sounds yummie!!! Nothing wrong with blends, though. They are a way for sellers to create a distinctive, unique taste. Garuda Blend is one such.

It would be criminal to blend any of my coffees.

Growing is only part of the process of what we call 'seed to cup'.  

Picking only the red ripe cherries, then using a washed process and patio drying to 20% moisture, screening it to #16 then letting it rest in parchment for 30 days.

Finally it will be milled, then vacuum packed and immediately delivered to an artisan roaster who will sample cup it and determine the proper roast profile, usually very light.

Then exactly 3 days after roasting using a conical bur grinder set the size for your brewing method and grind it just before brewing with exactly 93 ° C water which has been filtered with reverse osmosis and then had the appropriate mineral content added back in to simulate spring water but purified. ( commercial bottled water without Fluoride)

Only use professional brewing methods. If you don't have a Clover then french press or pour over paper filter is fine as long as the brewing time is ideal for each method. For example in a pour over situation you would like the finer granules to be in contact with the hot water for only 20-30 seconds, no more than that or you run the risk of dissolving some rather nasty tasting oils that should not be in your coffee.

Let it cool for 3-5 minutes and drink it black.

• Reply 50 of 84
    gusy32gusy32 Posts: 18member
    Goggle won't stop me from going to starbucks because when I go there that's the only thing I do, get coffee
  • Reply 51 of 84

Quote:

Nope. Sonic.net isn't an ISP as much as a provider of commercial hosting services. Even then they place restrictions on how servers are used on their network too..

http://www.netsonic.net/tos.php

Netsonic is sonic? I don't think so.

http://www.sonic.net/company/

Sonic.net is an ISP. What is the problem with its terms of service? I don't see anything prohibiting the customer from setting up their own servers. Question is whether a "home" customer can obtain a static IP or if a more expensive "business" account is necessary.

Same for megapath.

• Reply 52 of 84
    jragostajragosta Posts: 10,473member
    gatorguy wrote: »
    It's a shame you've never been able to understand they don't sell your data to advertisers. I don't think most people would have such a hard time with the concept. They instead sell their knowledge, placing the ads for the companies based on what Google thinks you'd be interested in. They're not always right by a long shot.

If they sold the data they wouldn't be needed any longer. :\

And what YOU don't understand is that Google's entire business model is based on gathering information about everyone they can - and then selling information. No one said that they sell information about an individual AS individual information. But they most certainly DO gather your information and sell aggregated information (mostly in the form of targeted advertising) to their customers.
  • Reply 53 of 84
    jragosta wrote: »
    And what YOU don't understand is that Google's entire business model is based on gathering information about everyone they can - and then selling information. No one said that they sell information about an individual AS individual information. But they most certainly DO gather your information and sell aggregated information (mostly in the form of targeted advertising) to their customers.

Why would Google sell any information they've put together, aggregated or not? I've no idea where you get the idea that's the way their business works. They make money from placing ads for companies, not selling them the info to do it themselves. Do a little research on how Google's business works. It's not a secret and pretty straightforward.

if you understand how Apple makes money from delivering iAds based on their user's profiles then you understand how Google does too. It's the same general idea. Google's just better at it for now.
  • Reply 54 of 84

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gusy32 View Post

Goggle won't stop me from going to starbucks because when I go there that's the only thing I do, get coffee

As alluded to by an earlier poster, even if you don't use the wi-fi at Starbucks, Google will know when you're at a Starbucks and perhaps even monitor your movements within the store, by tracking your smartphone's wi-fi MAC address and potentially linking it to your use of the smartphone at home and elsewhere. To prevent this avenue of tracking, turn wi-fi off. Tracking with the cellular modem is still done by your cellular service provider and potentially Apple unless airplane mode is enabled.

The City of San Francisco recently announced free wi-fi will be funded by Google in several parks for 2 years. You can bet Google will be monitoring the crap out of people wandering around those parks, whether they use the wi-fi or not.

• Reply 55 of 84

Quote:

Why would Google sell any information they've put together, aggregated or not? I've no idea where you get the idea that's the way their business works. 

Exactly. Google's business model includes maintaining exclusive access to its tracking and bugging data, so it can customize the Internet and the ads to your preferences.

• Reply 56 of 84
    cpsro wrote: »
    Exactly. Google's business model is to maintain exclusive access to its tracking and bugging data, so it can customize the Internet and the ads to your preferences.

There ya go. You pretty much get it (other than the part about customizing the internet)! Perhaps you can explain it to JR.
  • Reply 57 of 84
    mstonemstone Posts: 11,510member

Quote:

Originally Posted by Cpsro View Post

Sonic.net is an ISP

We're talking about the companies that have fiber or coax in the street outside your home.

Exactly how does Sonic get the Internet into your home?

• Reply 58 of 84
    allenbfallenbf Posts: 993member
    We all have to do our part. :D

Nice font. /s

Yeah for some reason when I post from my work laptop, the font comes out weird, no matter how many times I change it. Sorry about that
  • Reply 59 of 84

Quote:

We're talking about the companies that have fiber or coax in the street outside your home.

Exactly how does Sonic get the Internet into your home?

DSL is almost always an option.

Check this out: http://www.sonic.net/solutions/home/internet/fusion/

Get one static IP at no extra cost.

• Reply 60 of 84
    I wonder if Google will have the good sense to put a password on the wifi so it's not so easy for someone to sniff your data right out of the air. I never use public wifi for that reason.