Best Buy giving away free Apple TV with 15" Retina MacBook Pro purchase

Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2014
Best Buy on Thursday kicked off a promotion that has the company bundling a free third-generation Apple TV with a purchase of select 15-inch MacBook Pros with Retina display

Best Buy
Apple TV added to cart at no extra cost.

While not heavily advertised on Best Buy's website, the free Apple TV deal is currently available for two MacBook Pro with Retina display models, both high-end 15-inch versions of Apple's laptop.

The least expensive option is the Retina MacBook Pro with 8GB of memory and a 256GB SSD for $1,999. The second version has 16GB of RAM and a 512GB SSD for $2,599. As reflected in the pricing, Best Buy is having a sale on the laptops, which extends takes another $100 off select non-Retina MacBook Pro models.

In addition to the normal sale pricing, college students can also sign up for a $100 savings with their current school email address. The discount extends to desktops like the iMac as well as a number of other computers and accessories.

The latest Best Buy promotion comes less than a week after the big box retailer slashed MacBook Pro with Retina display prices by $200 as part of its "Hot July Black Friday Sale."

Comments

• Reply 1 of 7
    mhiklmhikl Posts: 471member
    Hey, sending out some love to Best Buy; a beleaguered company of late. Beat that, Goofle*.

*No insult meant to normal goofs. :)
  • Reply 2 of 7

Wow! Next they will be hanging them on mailboxes! :)

Seriously, sounds like a great deal! :)

• Reply 3 of 7
    elliots11elliots11 Posts: 290member

If I didn't want more internal storage options, I'd be all over that. If only there could be some kind of ejectable 2.5" drive slot for a second drive or a big, somehow magically cheap, big stick of flash memory or something.  I know it'll never happen, but that'd be great. And I know the non-retinas can do that, but I dig that screen.

• Reply 4 of 7
    cash907cash907 Posts: 893member

Actually, all Macbook Pro's are $200 off right now, including both 13" HDD models, and 13" Retina MBP's. With the additional $100 student discount coupon you can get from the website, that's 300 dollars in savings. A 21" iMac is 125 bucks off, the USB SuperDrive is 5 dollars off, and the Lightning Display is 70 dollars off. All of these prices are good through Saturday, so all in all, it's a good couple of days to shop Best Buy.

• Reply 5 of 7
    tallest skiltallest skil Posts: 43,388member
    Wasn't Best Buy considering a cover charge for even entering their stores, given the speed they're sinking?
  • Reply 6 of 7
    andysolandysol Posts: 2,506member

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

Wasn't Best Buy considering a cover charge for even entering their stores, given the speed they're sinking?

Stop with the FUD  image

• Reply 7 of 7
    tallest skiltallest skil Posts: 43,388member
    andysol wrote: »
    Stop with the FUD  ;)

Hey, I'm genuinely asking! :lol:

This deal, of course, is only to get rid of MacBook Pro stock to make room for Haswell. Perhaps a Best Buy employee can show us a placeholder for a new Apple TV to explain why they're dumping those on people.