Editorial: The mysterious failure of Microsoft's Surface RT

Comments

• Reply 321 of 347
    relic wrote: »
    Go back and read what ever site you got your info from, the Psion 3a came out in 93, the Psion 3 was released in 91, development for this also started in 87. Nee Ner, Nee, Ner....:p

Yep, just checked the receipt Tue. November 12th, 1991, I kept it inside the original box, so shiny. This is fun, thanks for reminding me to play with an old forgotten friend. I need to find batteries now, please excuse me.

Rock on, but how did you know the dev started at the same time as the Newton? My data isn't from wikipedia, exclusively but from a great behind the scenes book on the sometimes painful (to the point of outright suicide) development of the Newton Tablet and eventually the MessagePad : http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ISBN=0941831949/oweninkA/
  • Reply 322 of 347
    flaneur wrote: »
    Sorry mgabrys, but Relic is not who you think she is. She is an eclectic technology collector who doesn't see such a great divide between Apple and the other platforms. As she says in this thread, she works for a Swiss bank, and I think she has too much money and fun to be making pocket change from Samsung or whomever.

If she has any life issues, one might be that she didn't do the sort of study with her fellow countryman Albert Hofmann that Steve Jobs did. But far be it from me to suggest . . .
    I never said she was a shill, but was following the comment roadmap of others. Always cool to hear another collector tho. She'd fit right in with the Digibarn crew who presented some of the better functions at the computer history museum.Ive been in Silicon Valley's orbit since 1993, when I was manning an OEM and NeXT VAR's booth at NeXTWorld expo 93 - when I wasn't slumming with IDG helping out user groups like NeXT user-group international (mostly because our per-deim was insanely small for San Francisco. Although not as small as John Drapper's budget (aka Captain Crunch) who spent some eves on our hotel room floor).
  • Reply 323 of 347
    tallest skiltallest skil Posts: 43,388member
    Who says they're any good at it? Zune? Surface RT? Windows Phone?

I was giving them the benefit of the doubt and grading them on a scale of 'comparatively'.
  • Reply 324 of 347
    joshajosha Posts: 901member

Yes the surface is not popular in the tablet arena because of poor tablet software.  

The same reason my BB Playbook has failed.  The BB Playbook is very good hardware, but it's OS and limited good Apps  killed it. I'll have to kill mine and move on to an iPad Mini.

The Surface is an OK mini laptop, but the Netbook market was killed by the iPad.  So I'll also be killing my Netbook, when I get that iPad Mini.

• Reply 325 of 347

Quote:

Originally Posted by Relic View Post

What did Nokia copy or are you just assuming that every manufacturer can't innovate and just blatantly copies Apple?image Nokia was one of the first to have a Camera on their phones, SMS, MMS, WAP, Email, App Store, Bluetooth, NFC, ect.

I didn't say it first.

Quote:

And, it seems Nokia has no problem copying Apple’s design. Says Nokia’s Executive VP about the design similarities between this phone and the Apple iPhone, “If there is something good in the world then we copy with pride.”

• Reply 326 of 347

Quote:

Originally Posted by PopinFRESH View Post

As a former editor maybe you should have proofread your post. I highlighted the parts you may want to look at. You also only need one period at the end of a sentence.

This was a poorly written article regardless of ones personal view of Apple. I'm a huge fan of Apple products and services and agree with some of the op's conclusions. You must have read another article if you are arguing that this one lacked any true examples of sarcasm.

Actually, I had proofreaders do the dirty work.

They weren't periods. They are ellipses.

Admittedly, I did err some in my retort. However, although I love Siri wholeheartedly, I should be more cautious particularly using it handsfree.

Thanks for the heads-up.

P.S. I never stated that!

• Reply 327 of 347
    I think the issue with the Surface is that its a half baked thing between a tablet and laptop, and its neither of them. If I need to use Office I will definitely buy an 11" Macbook Air that is a real computer and is smaller, thinner and lighter than the Surface. For a tablet, there is no real alternative for an iPad... Yet.
  • Reply 328 of 347
    relicrelic Posts: 4,735member

Quote:

Originally Posted by jagacu68 View Post

I think the issue with the Surface is that its a half baked thing between a tablet and laptop, and its neither of them. If I need to use Office I will definitely buy an 11" Macbook Air that is a real computer and is smaller, thinner and lighter than the Surface. For a tablet, there is no real alternative for an iPad... Yet.

The Surface RT is 1.5lbs, .37 thick, 10.81W - 6.77H, Surface Pro is 2lbs, .53 thick, 10.81W - 6.81H and the Air is 2.4lbs, .68 thick, 12.8W - 8.94H. So you are wrong about the Macbook Air being smaller, thinner and lighter, though I understand your opinion, just next time make sure what your posting is correct. Even if you dislike the product it's important to get specs right as others in the thread might reuse what you posted in their own posts. 

• Reply 329 of 347
    freediverxfreediverx Posts: 1,423member
    dasanman69 wrote: »
    We've all read that one already. A link from a more neutral website would've served your point better.

The article gives a detailed history and comparison of various design elements used across different mobile operating systems and makes a strong case against the notion that Apple's iOS7 copied key design elements from its competitors. I'm not aware of anyone else who has written anything on this topic with anywhere near this level of detailed, historical references.

Neutrality has nothing to do with it. Focus on the factual statements and if you feel any are inaccurate then state your case.
  • Reply 330 of 347
    freediverxfreediverx Posts: 1,423member
    pleasestop wrote: »
    So... you'd have to be a real "Apple Insider" to know that the Microsoft Surface is a miserable flop, blah blah Microsoft sux, blah blah? This could have been a tweet instead of an article. Blah, blah blah. Who cares?

"Joined July 2013"

Another astroturfung troll signs up just to defend Microsoft.
  • Reply 331 of 347
    freediverx wrote: »
    "Joined July 2013"

Another astroturfung troll signs up just to defend Microsoft.

You'd never see these losers at all were I still screening.
  • Reply 332 of 347
    elrothelroth Posts: 1,201member

Quote:

Originally Posted by bullhead View Post

article is spot on.  Microosft tablets are a complete failure and should never have been launched.  The horrid, unusable Metro GUI was a failure on Zune, then it failed again on the garbage Windows Phone, failed on Windows 8 and failed on Windows RT.  Anyone involved in the Metro UI should be fired immediately.  Anyone who thought this was a good strategy should be fired for incompetence. how clueless can one be?

If they did that, there'd be no one left but the janitor.

• Reply 333 of 347
    maximjmaximj Posts: 4member
    Atleast MS is less restrictive in its aoftware acces for third parties. Apple is acting more and more like MS acted in the 90's
    which is why i am still rooting for ms to make it on the smartphone and tablet market.
  • Reply 334 of 347
    drblankdrblank Posts: 3,385member

Quote:

Originally Posted by MaximJ View Post

Atleast MS is less restrictive in its aoftware acces for third parties. Apple is acting more and more like MS acted in the 90's

which is why i am still rooting for ms to make it on the smartphone and tablet market.

Apple isn't acting like MS acted during the 90's.   Apple's just trying to get back the market share they once had when MS acted in a more fair manner.  To me Google acts like MS.They make the malware infested  OS but instead of taking initiative to get the problem resolved, they just hide from the media.  And instead of coming up with their own unique way of doing things, they just try to copy Apple.

MS already has 90% of the desktop OS market and that MORE than enough from them.  Office needs to be challenged and even Office is becoming less relevant.

I would like to see Apple get a nice 35% market share of the desktop OS and everything else for that matter is a decent market share.  Smartphones?  If they came up with the best way to not have a physical keyboard and that's what people want, Apple should have a nice 75% of the market share and Android should just stop annoying everyone and drop off the face of the earth.  Spitting out product where it's as malware infested as Android is, as dysfunctional by not being able to have all of the products on the market running the latest OS, they don't deserve to be in existence.  Same goes with tablets.

MS had their chance to come up with a decent tablet design and they failed.  Bye Bye MS, couldn't happen to a better bunch of crooked people.

• Reply 335 of 347
    maximj wrote: »
    Atleast MS is less restrictive in its aoftware acces for third parties. Apple is acting more and more like MS acted in the 90's which is why i am still rooting for ms to make it on the smartphone and tablet market.

Someone made a bundle of dough on all that fan gear you bought for a team that tripped and broke its leg as it ran out of the locker room.
  • Reply 336 of 347

Quote:

Less restrictive in its software access for third parties.  What do you mean by that statement?  It seems kind of ambiguous.

• Reply 337 of 347
    Calling MS "crooked people" whilst rooting for apple isnt consistent. Apple fails to admit a mistake when they make one, they completely control their app ecosysytem like tyranta, and they're complete a holes to retailers. (on an iphone, the shops selling them make virtually no profit, because apple controls the pricing completely and wants to rake in the maximum amount possible.) in the smartphone markte, iphones arent even top of the line anymore, there is better hardware out there. In terms of tablets apple continues to provide the best devices, for tge moment. But other manufactuters are rapidly approaching.
    before calling one company crooks, and acting like the other is the messiah, do consider that the person who staryed MS gives about half his fortune to charity and things like cancer research, and his staff got along well with him. Whilst the other donated a small amount (relatively speaking) exactly once, because he couldnt avoid it. ( and he was an a hole to his staff)
  • Reply 338 of 347

Quote:

Calling MS "crooked people" whilst rooting for apple isnt consistent. Apple fails to admit a mistake when they make one, they completely control their app ecosysytem like tyranta, and they're complete a holes to retailers. (on an iphone, the shops selling them make virtually no profit, because apple controls the pricing completely and wants to rake in the maximum amount possible.) in the smartphone markte, iphones arent even top of the line anymore, there is better hardware out there. In terms of tablets apple continues to provide the best devices, for tge moment. But other manufactuters are rapidly approaching.

before calling one company crooks, and acting like the other is the messiah, do consider that the person who staryed MS gives about half his fortune to charity and things like cancer research, and his staff got along well with him. Whilst the other donated a small amount (relatively speaking) exactly once, because he couldnt avoid it. ( and he was an a hole to his staff)

Really?  So Microsoft wasn't crooked when they got repeatedly sued for Anti Trust violations, creating a monopoly and purposely writing OEM contracts preventing third party OSs to be sold with their OEMs? In the end, Apple has a better overall user experience because they control the hardware design and the OS design and it's much easier to use and support, which is why it's much easier to administer a network full of Mac users vs a network full of PC users.  That's been proven.

Apple admitted to their bringing out Maps too soon, but they are fixing it and making it better.  Even Google Maps has problems that surface, there is not perfect Maps program.

The reason why Apple wants that control over their ecosystem is because they can support it better.  The less control a company has the more problems will exist.

Apple doesn't control the pricing that much. If you look at the resellers, they can discount them if they want to, but the computer industry as a whole has taken out the margins in computing devices to keep the retail price down.  What happens is that if they gave the resellers the same margins they USED to have, what would happen is the reseller would end up discounting the crap out of the product and not make much profit.  I used to work for Corporate resellers, the discounting has gone away for ALL computer companies and resellers in general have been dying off.  It's not Apple fault for that, it's the industry.  if a brand has to be discounted, it's usually because the mfg is dumping inventory they couldn't sell or they are trying to buy market share, which leads to not making much profit and then they end up like IBM or Compaq, where they sell off the business to another schmuck that doesn't make any money. The PC industry doesn't make any profit anymore.

Apple was the first to come up with a compelling smartphone, tablet design that works. And what does everyone else do?  Copy it, but in order to sell products, they might have to make a cheaper product or cut corners and the end user doesn't get the same quality experience.  Apple also wants to ensure that Apple customers get a great experience when the use all Apple products, much like how Microsoft makes their products work together, much like any company that makes a bunch of different products.

Apple has been the best at updating their OS, Walk into a store that sells Android devices and count how many actually ship with 4.3, which is the latest OS.  You'll find only Nexus devices that do that and there are only two tablets to choose from and I think one smartphone to choose from.   The rest of the Android OEMs do NOT ship with the latest OS.  OOOPS.  Freaking Android.  BIG FAILURE in my book.  Why do they need to run the latest OS?  to be up to date in security and bug fixes, even though they'll release more updates to fix other security issues and bugs that crop up.

Apple makes a REASONABLE amount of profit, some of the others don't make enough profit.  Google makes a decent profit because most of their revenue is from ads and ad clicks, NOT from hardware, software, content, and service contract sales.  Microsoft makes a decent profit because s/w is big margin, but their XBox hardware is basically sold at a loss so they can make up the profits in software titles.  Samsung makes profits because they mfg most of the components inside and they do a piss poor job in updating the OS on all of their devices.  Find out when all of their Android devices are actually going to get the 4.3 update.  Most of their devices probably won't even get the update, only the top most expensive models, but you have to wait 6 to 7 months for them to release updates.  Ooops..

Apple makes their own OS and only charges $20 an upgrade vs $100 to $200 like Microsoft.  talk about the MS price gouge.  Apple makes their own apps like iWork, iLife, FCPX, LogicX and they charge a VERY reasonable amount of money and they keep the prices as low as they can as to not gouge the customer like others have done.  They actually have brought the price down from time to time to make them more affordable, while adding features.  Apple charges 30% on content because they have to pay Akamai a fairly hefty percentage of that profit margin for content delivery since they get hammered by users and Akamai actually makes a pretty sizable chunk of the profits Apple makes, so Apple doesn't really make TONS of profits, but they make enough to make it worthwhile doing and Apple has things like iTunes University and Podcasts that are FREE for the user, which they've been doing for quite sometime.  Where are Microsoft or Google's FREE video lectures from various schools and colleges?  OOOPS.  THey don' do that do they? What do they have against giving college students and the public access to these lectures.  If you want to take a course from somewhere like Stanford and not pay a dime, you can dl a entire course lecture. You won't get credit for it, but you can certainly watch and listen to the lectures.  HUGE brownie point for Apple.  HUGE.  That's helping students learn and they aren't charging anyone for watching them. Imagine that.  So do people like you applaud Apple for continuing to do that?  NO.  Why not? 

HP, Dell, Lenovo, ASUS, Acer, etc. don't make much profits, because it's too costly to manage a business where it's too competitive and supporting an OS they didn't develop and they make too many different products that don't sell well enough. Their problem is having too many products.  Kind of what happened to GM, they had to drop products because they had too many and it was biting into their profits.

HP, Dell, etc. don't know how to manage their own company, so don't blame Apple because they know how to manage theirs.

Whether you like Apple or not, they have done more to change the entire industry than anyone else, and they get copied or emulated more than anyone else.  And you put them down because they know how to manage their business better?  That's CHICKEN CRAP if you ask me. I don't always agree with every little thing they do, but I can submit feedback through their feedback site, which most other companies DO NOT have, and guess what?  if my submissions are reasonable requests, I find that Apple DOES manage to use them as I kind of know what will fly and what won't.   If more people submitted feedback and requested the same things, the better chance they'll do something about it, but again, make sure it's a REASONABLE request and not some immature request like saying you want a fully blown iMac or top end MacBookPro priced at $100. That's not a REASONABLE request.  But so far, they've been pretty good at listening to what I submit, and eventually they get around to changing and improving the products.  things don't happen in a vacuum, so don't expect your request to surface 2 days later. 

• Reply 339 of 347
    asciiascii Posts: 5,936member

Quote:

This is not the 80s or 90s. There are massive security threats to computer systems and networks these days and having a curated App Store does make you Tyranta anymore it just makes you sensible. 

Giving money to charity is fine and dandy, but these days (in the rich world at least), even an ordinary office professional such as an actuary or

software developer can become a millionaire with a little bit of self discipline. What humanity really needs to move ahead, at this point, is not money but original thinking. And who honestly would you credit with more original thinking, Bill or Steve? I am not an MS hater and agree Bill Gates was also a great man, but lets not forget the fundamentals here.

• Reply 340 of 347

Quote:

Have you ever run a company?  do you not understand that Apple has to support all of the hardware, software, etc. and if they don't control it like tyranta (is that a real word?) , then the user experience suffers. Apple does NOT force you to buy content/apps through iTunes or the App Store other than their own OS and apps.  It's just that Apple has the best experience, overall.  The reason why people buy or DL apps through the Apple App store is because it's a safe place to do so, because they check as best as they can to prevent malware apps that others like Google let slide.  To me, at least Apple is doing whatever they can to provide quality apps, which is one of reasons that helps discourage malware apps being written. Go check out what platform has the most malware.  it's been typically MS and Android.  You want to complain about something?  Go bitch a them for having so much malware.

the iTunes app came out because Apple wanted to have an app to manage one's content, etc.  If you want a feature in it, then send Apple Feedback, maybe they'll add the feature you want.  What would you do if you DIDN'T have it?  It would be a mess, or you'd have to find someone else's software to do it, and you might have to pay money for the app, or the app might actually be worse to use.  People can only write decent apps if they charge a decent amount of money for it, but Apple thought that they needed to have something and they provide it for FREE.  But you are not required to buy content through Apple.  OK?  You also don't have to buy apps directly from Apple, but Apple provides that service, charges a REASONABLE amount for what they provide and you are given the choice.