Piper Jaffray: New Moto X won't draw consumers from iPhone

Comments

• Reply 21 of 110
    froodfrood Posts: 771member

The constant listening mode could go either way.  It could be really cool to not have to get out your phone turn it on and unlock/tap to get to Google Now.  It could actually be pretty amazing.

On the other hand if I'm at Wendy's drivethrough and say "I'd like a burger, fries, and shake" I wouldn't want my phone responding to that.....   "There is a Wendy's nearby, why don't you see if they have some there?"

• Reply 22 of 110

Quote:

Originally Posted by anantksundaram View Post

I was intrigued enough by this to go* to an Android fan site and see their take on it.

Judge for yourself: http://bit.ly/143mPWb ;image

* For the first time ever, in my life. Had to take a shower afterwards......

From the cursory scan of that comments section, I'm seeing a lot of unhappy fandroids complaining that it's essentially overpriced.

I guess those hired Samsung students won't have to flood that forum ... or maybe they are?  image

• Reply 23 of 110
    slurpyslurpy Posts: 5,382member

Quote:

Originally Posted by LAKings33 View Post

You're posting on a site dedicated to Apple news. If it's not pro-Apple you're automatically the enemy. The zealots need a haven and this corner of the internet is their home. If you can't deal with that, then you're better off not posting here.

Are you referring to me as the "zealot"? Well done completely misconstruing my comment.

My "serves them right" comment refers to anyone gets gets ultra-hyped about a product by creating fictitious expectations, not based on a shred of fact, then gets severely "dissapointed" when the product is unveiled. Just like people who believe ridiculous, unrealistic features and mockups of the next iPhone, then are "dissapointed" when the real thing is shown. It doesn't make me a "zealot", nor do I think anyone is the enemy. I was commenting on the ridiculous practise of over-hyping products based on absolutely nothing, and getting upset each time. The hype and assumptions about the Moto X during the past few months (like assuming it would be priced Nexus-like off contract) always confused me, because it had no basis in anything. 

The only person here that sounds like a hateful zealot is you, with the way you've twisted my post with ridiculous assumptions and insinuations. 

• Reply 24 of 110
    dasanman69dasanman69 Posts: 13,002member
    Wasn't the same said about Samsung's phones?
  • Reply 25 of 110

Quote:

Originally Posted by Suddenly Newton View Post

They lack imagination, creativity, and vision.

The irony in that Analysts comment is that from all hands-on reviews I've read, the Moto Xs screen is considered either really bad, or mediocre, (Josh Topolsky from theVerge called it "stunningly bad") while the iPhone 5 still has what is considered one of the best screens on the market. Nothing else about the physical design of this phone is noteworthy. The only noteworthy thing in software is that the mic is always on. Whether most people want this is debatable (I know I don't). Oh, and a camera activation gesture that seems to hardly work. 

Yet, this phone will put "pressure" on Apple in terms of design. Right. 

• Reply 26 of 110
    piotpiot Posts: 1,346member
    lakings33 wrote: »
    The zealots need a haven.......

And the parasites need a host.
  • Reply 27 of 110

Quote:

Originally Posted by Slurpy View Post

The only noteworthy thing in software is that the mic is always on. Whether most people want this is debatable (I know I don't).

If you define "most people" as the NSA in Fort Meade, then yes, people want it.

• Reply 28 of 110
    rjc999rjc999 Posts: 69member

Funny, when the iPhone launched, and it was 2g only, and didn't support MMS, etc a lot of people were crowing that Apple's flagship lost on specs compared to other phones that were shipping with 3g.  Apple has consistently lagged behind on things like 3g or LTE, compared to bleeding edge competitors.

Motorola made an Apple-like decision to say "no" on going to war on specs. They deliberately picked components based on achieving other goals: better battery life. The reason they chose an AMOLED screen @ 720p vs an IPS at higher rez was deliberate, it's not like they can't get higher resolution IPS displays off the shelf like everyone else.  They chose it, because the smaller screen, coupled with AMOLED, allows them better power management. In fact, they can selectively partially power the screen, showing the current time or notifications.

Whether you want to trade color response to battery life is up to you. The new Nexus 7 has the best screen in the entire mobile industry now, it puts everything to shame, even Retina displays, but it costs a lot of battery life.

• Reply 29 of 110

Quote:

Originally Posted by dasanman69 View Post

Wasn't the same said about Samsung's phones?

Why is every phone that sells well "drawing consumers away from the iPhone"? Samsung's phone, more than anything else, are drawing consumers away from all the other Android OEMs, who are doing miserably. They're basically monopolizing the profits and sales in the Android market, and stealing sales from those phones MUCH more than away from iPhones. Samsung was able to outmarket everyone else- that's what it comes down to, and they established their place as the default option for whoever gets anything that isn't an iPhone. That's not a knock on Apple, it's a knock on every single other Android phone manufacturer that Samsung destroyed.

Apple sold 32 million phones last quarter, when it hasn't launched a new phone in almost a year, and taking more than half the profits of the largest, fastest growing, and most lucrative industry on earth, that they just entered a few years ago. They're doing just fine, and will continue to do fine. It's the fates of all the other non-Samsung OEMs that's in question- including Motorola. 

• Reply 30 of 110
    droidftwdroidftw Posts: 1,009member

I would agree that the specs don't have that wow factor and I suppose one could argue that they're mid-range (as some in this thread have).  Where would that put the iPhone 5 though?  Everything I'm reading shows the Moto X having better specs than the iPhone 5.  Is there something I'm missing or do we just fall back on the 'specs don't mean anything' argument at that point?

• Reply 32 of 110
    bushman4bushman4 Posts: 858member

Gene Munster, the infamous anal-ist that has rarely if ever gotten anything right when making a call. 

Doubtful this Mot X will appeal to Apple customers but they will do sales.

• Reply 33 of 110
    dasanman69dasanman69 Posts: 13,002member
    slurpy wrote: »
    Why is every phone that sells well "drawing consumers away from the iPhone"?

Same reason you can't draw water from a dry well, you draw where there's water. Ask Piper why he only mentions the iPhone. Motorola would definitely have more of a chance to draw customers away from Samsung than from Apple. Motorola has served me well in the past and I am rooting for them to turn things around, but now that Google owns them I don't believe that it'll ever happen.
  • Reply 34 of 110
    alfiejralfiejr Posts: 1,524member

Quote:

Originally Posted by piot View Post

And the parasites need a host.

Touche!

• Reply 35 of 110
    drewys808drewys808 Posts: 549member

Quote:

Motorola is infamous for long battery life, so that might be another highlight of the product.

"In-famous?  In-famous?"

"...means he's more than famous. He's not only famous, he's in-famous!"

-from The Three Amigos

Sorry, I couldn't resist. image

• Reply 36 of 110
    red oakred oak Posts: 1,087member
    It is going to be fun watching Google go to war with its biggest distribution partner, Samsung. Both phones and tablets. Google just sucked ALL the profit out of the air for small sized Android tablets with the Nexus 7

If you are Samsung, what do you do? And since you don't have any software ability, what can you do? That's right- your kinda f*****
  • Reply 37 of 110
    herbapouherbapou Posts: 2,228member

Quote:

The Nexus 4 was $199 on contract and only $299 unlocked. There will be a Google Play version coming soon, so we'll have to wait and see the unlocked price.

JC, you would have to be insane to buy the Nexus 4 on contract at $199 when you can it unlock at $299.  

• Reply 38 of 110
    herbapouherbapou Posts: 2,228member

Quote:

constant listening mode

I dont like the sound of that...  I see how it can allow some features, but at what price?

• Reply 39 of 110
    red oakred oak Posts: 1,087member
    I was intrigued enough by this to go* to an Android fan site and see their take on it.

Judge for yourself: http://bit.ly/143mPWb :lol:

[SIZE=8px]* For the first time ever, in my life. Had to take a shower afterwards......[/SIZE]
    Brutal comments. Thanks for sharing
  • Reply 40 of 110
    alfiejralfiejr Posts: 1,524member

yup, as several above note, Moto is competing with SS with the same approach - adding UI gimmicks to android to "differentiate" the X and the S4 from other commodity droid phones. so they are both going after the same market - the gimmick lovers. and don't forget customization! there is no doubt those folks are already droid users anyway. so Google is finally trying to deal with the fact it does all the hard android work but Samsung is making all the android profit. Fight!

Apple has tried a few gimmicks too over the years, yes. but more than ever now it focuses on system-wide and ecosystem-wide new features that are really useful. and i expect even more to be unveiled this Fall with iOS 7/Mavericks etc. for great example, the anticipated fingerprint reader home button on the next generation of iPhone/iPad will likely be integrated with iCloud Keychain too (which also supports credit cards as well as passwords, and perhaps Passbook as well). what a powerful universal tool that would be! something every one of us would really want to use - a lot.

but i'm sure the Verge and all the other gadget head tech sites will give the Moto X a 9.0 score, just like the new Nexus tablet. new gimmicks always turn them on.