Photos claim to show next-gen iPad mini case with embedded Apple logo

Posted:
in iPad edited January 2014
Coming one day after photos of a purportedly leaked next-generation iPad rear casing hit the Web, a new set of images posted on Friday allegedly reveal the same component bound for Apple's iPad mini follow-up.

iPad mini

The new pictures from Fanatic Fone, the same website that put up Thursday's "leaked" next-gen iPad photos, supposedly show a new iPad mini shell with an embedded Apple logo, a change from the current model's printed emblem.

Like the existing full-size iPad, MacBook lineup, and other products, Apple uses a molded plastic logo design as an antenna window, as aluminum is not radio-transparent. This is also the case in Apple's all-in-one iMac, which positions the computer's antenna array directly behind the Apple-shaped cut-out.

iPad mini

While the site claims the part is authentic, the author points out that it lacks the "iPad" moniker and associated government regulation certifications. It is therefore unknown if the component is a production version or a prototype.

Aside from the Apple logo, the internal and external design appears to be unchanged from the first-generation model, with support structures for a rear-facing camera, dock connector, speakers and physical power and volume buttons.

iPad mini

Apple is expected to produce a follow-up to its 7.9-inch tablet, though release date and specification rumors vary widely. Most recently, The Wall Street Journal reported yesterday that supply chain sources said Apple would be shipping a Retina display-toting mini sometime during the fourth quarter.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 15
    rissriss Posts: 47member
    What's with the shape of the logo? I mean the top 'tear' element is completely gone...
  • Reply 2 of 15
    rogifanrogifan Posts: 10,669member
    riss wrote: »
    What's with the shape of the logo? I mean the top 'tear' element is completely gone...
    I think it looks weird because we're seeing it from the inside of the shell.
  • Reply 3 of 15
    pizdecpizdec Posts: 23member
    Dont trust these pics any longer, look at the apple logo from the inside shell, it almost looks like an orange and should not this be a hole?
  • Reply 4 of 15
    brutus009brutus009 Posts: 356member

Seriously?  There's a picture of it from the outside and you can see that the Apple logo looks fine...

• Reply 5 of 15

Look at the inside of the current iPad, the logo looks the same as in these pictures:

http://www.ifixit.com/Teardown/iPad+4+Wi-Fi+Teardown/11462/2

• Reply 6 of 15
    evilutionevilution Posts: 1,399member
    Guys! Really?

The shell has the hole for the Apple logo in it and this part is pushed into it. Did you think that the apple leaf was a separate small piece of plastic? It is joined to the apple logo body by raised overlapping plastic and the whole piece has a lip running around the outside to give them somwhere to apply glue.

It's not mounted like an inlay in a guitar's fret board.
  • Reply 7 of 15
    chandra69chandra69 Posts: 638member

Quote:

Originally Posted by bobthedino View Post

Look at the inside of the current iPad, the logo looks the same as in these pictures:

http://www.ifixit.com/Teardown/iPad+4+Wi-Fi+Teardown/11462/2

That is what they mentioned in the article. 

Current iPad mini does not have Logo like that, instead it is printed.

NOW, it is embedded like iPad. 

• Reply 8 of 15
    adonissmuadonissmu Posts: 1,776member

Is it thinner and lighter than the previous case versions?

• Reply 9 of 15
    nobodyynobodyy Posts: 377member

It doesn't seem to have gained any depth, which is fantastic. However, does that mean no retina or retina squeezed into the same space?!

• Reply 10 of 15
    gazoobeegazoobee Posts: 3,754member

It's too bad it's the same size.  I was hoping for a bit narrower this time.  

The Nexus is a horrible piece of junk but the width of it is easier on the hand. 

• Reply 11 of 15
    I'm hoping that Apple learned from the iPad 3; they had to make it slightly larger to accommodate the new internals to support a Retina display. If they knew the iPad mini would eventually have a Retina display, there'd be no need to change the size for the next gen.

Fingers crossed it'll be Retina!
  • Reply 12 of 15
    tallest skiltallest skil Posts: 43,388member
    richsadams wrote: »
    I'm hoping that Apple learned from the iPad 3; they had to make it slightly larger to accommodate the new internals to support a Retina display. If they knew the iPad mini would eventually have a Retina display, there'd be no need to change the size for the next gen.

Or technology has changed, allowing them to make things thinner.
  • Reply 13 of 15
    I hear you can now buy these on the streets of Hong Kong for like 30 cents US. [I]China is that leaky, folks.[/I]
  • Reply 14 of 15
    I like it. And as far as a retina iPad Mini... they can do it... the PPI would be 326, same as a retina iPhone beyond the 4th model, but for the iPad Retina Model they chose to use 264 PPI due to extend it's screen size to 9.7 inches. The resolution would be equivalent to the iPad 4th gens (2048x1536) at the 7.9 iPad MIni's screen size and icons would be x2 the size of the current retina icon size used in the iPad Retina Model in order to be operable by hand, in other words... they can use the iPhone icons on the iPad Mini Retina Model.
  • Reply 15 of 15
    abazigalabazigal Posts: 114member

Quote:

Originally Posted by darkdefender View Post

I like it. And as far as a retina iPad Mini... they can do it... the PPI would be 326, same as a retina iPhone beyond the 4th model, but for the iPad Retina Model they chose to use 264 PPI due to extend it's screen size to 9.7 inches. The resolution would be equivalent to the iPad 4th gens (2048x1536) at the 7.9 iPad MIni's screen size and icons would be x2 the size of the current retina icon size used in the iPad Retina Model in order to be operable by hand, in other words... they can use the iPhone icons on the iPad Mini Retina Model.

Huh? They would simply run existing retina tablet apps on the retina ipad mini. Resolution-wise, they are the same.

And they went with 264PPI because that's what it worked out to after quadrupling the ipad2's pixels, so as to maintain backward compatibility with existing apps. There's no magical number, just plain pragmatism at work.