Piper Jaffray: New Moto X won't draw consumers from iPhone

Comments

• Reply 81 of 110

Quote:

Originally Posted by KDarling View Post

Cute!  Did you also mock all the wood cases have been sold for years for iPhones?

Apple sells them?

(It's a rhetorical question, in case you didn't get it).

• Reply 82 of 110
    gatorguygatorguy Posts: 24,213member
    Apple sells them?

(It's a rhetorical question, in case you didn't get it).
    :rolleyes:

Of course some users will miss the nice woodgrain backgrounds that Apple still had on the iPhone in iOS6. Others are happy to see it go.
  • Reply 83 of 110
    gatorguy wrote: »
    From what I've read about it no. The good news is that it reportedly "learns" to recognize only your voice and not others.

Now I'm not so sure that you can't pick your own phrase. From a review:

"If you “buy” a Moto X from an AT&T store (other carriers supposedly to follow), instead of an actual phone you get a Moto X Card. You go home, rub off the redemption code which you enter on the Moto Maker Web site. You can now choose from 18 different rear cover colors, either textured or flat, seven accent colors for buttons and trim, and either white or black for the front. You can even add a “signature” – a phrase or your name, up to around 20 characters depending on letter width – to be printed on the bottom rear of the phone.

You can also choose a wake-up screen phrase, configure your phone with your Google account, choose a wallpaper screen and order a case along with matching wired earbuds from Sol Republic ($100). All the configuration is done in the U.S., and Motorola guarantees you’ll get your Moto X in four days or less. Or, forget going to an AT&T store – you can configure and order the phone completely online if you’d like.: http://www.ubergizmo.com/2013/08/moto-x-hands-on-first-impressions/
  • Reply 84 of 110

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gatorguy View Post

Of course some users will miss the nice woodgrain backgrounds that Apple still had on the iPhone in iOS6. Others are happy to see it go.

Unlike you, I like my bookshelves to look woodgrain.

But there's no accounting for taste. image

• Reply 85 of 110
    Unlike you, I like my bookshelves to look woodgrain.

But there's no accounting for taste. :rolleyes:

I didn't have a problem with those wood-grain bookshelves either. MMV
  • Reply 86 of 110

Quote:

I didn't have a problem with those wood-grain bookshelves either. MMV

Then wtf was the reason for your snarky post? image

(Given your predilection for obtuseness, I should add: that's a rhetorical question too....)

• Reply 87 of 110
    Then wtf was the reason for your snarky post? :???:

(Given your predilection for obtuseness, I should add: that's a rhetorical question too....)

It wasn't at all snarky. Apple liked the use of wood-grains. Some users of iDevices did too. Moto likes the use of wood-grains. Some of their MotoX users will too. I got the impression from your post that you thought Moto's use was campy but had forgotten that you liked Apple's use of it. Whatever.
  • Reply 88 of 110

Quote:

It wasn't at all snarky. Apple liked the use of wood-grains. Some users of iDevices did too. Moto likes the use of wood-grains. Some of their MotoX users will too. I got the impression from your post that you thought Moto's use was campy but had forgotten that you liked Apple's use of it. Whatever.

Ah, looks like I underestimated your obtuseness.

For future reference (the right answer is b):

rhe·tor·i·cal

adjective \ri-?to?r-i-k?l, -?tär-\

Definition of RHETORICAL

a : of, relating to, or concerned with rhetoric

b : employed for rhetorical effect; especially : asked merely for effect with no answer expected <a rhetorical question>

• Reply 89 of 110
    Ah, looks like I underestimated your obtuseness.

I'm often underestimated :D
  • Reply 90 of 110
    alfiejralfiejr Posts: 1,524member

Quote:

Now I'm not so sure that you can't pick your own phrase. From a review:

"If you “buy” a Moto X from an AT&T store (other carriers supposedly to follow), instead of an actual phone you get a Moto X Card. You go home, rub off the redemption code which you enter on the Moto Maker Web site. You can now choose from 18 different rear cover colors, either textured or flat, seven accent colors for buttons and trim, and either white or black for the front. You can even add a “signature” – a phrase or your name, up to around 20 characters depending on letter width – to be printed on the bottom rear of the phone.

You can also choose a wake-up screen phrase, configure your phone with your Google account, choose a wallpaper screen and order a case along with matching wired earbuds from Sol Republic ($100). All the configuration is done in the U.S., and Motorola guarantees you’ll get your Moto X in four days or less. Or, forget going to an AT&T store – you can configure and order the phone completely online if you’d like.: http://www.ubergizmo.com/2013/08/moto-x-hands-on-first-impressions/

it had better be "customizable" (are there several fixed phrases to choose from, or can you record your own?). to require all users to utter the word "Google" every time they wanted to use their phone would be the most utterly arrogant corporate ego trip imaginable.

• Reply 91 of 110
    matrix07 wrote: »
    It's a no go for me too because it's Google. But listening mode actually is nice. I love to have it for my iPhone. I don't like Google but bravo to them for pushing this forward. SJ love to talke about computer talking to us and understand us instead of us needing to understand them. Well, Google makes another big step forward here.
    And battery life is nice too. You got listening mode and 24 hours battery life. Great job. But the screen is sub-par and Apple wouldn't sacrifice that whatever the reason.

I agree, listening mode might be a cool thing, especially if the iWatch comes to fruition. Of course, lets not forget Andy rubin's quote, "Your phone is a tool for communicating. You shouldn't be communicating with your phone." It is also nice to see google trying to add features that aren't just gimmicky, like the 24 hr battery (although they tested the nexus 7's battery in airplane mode, so I'm not optimistic). But in typical google style, they can't help but cut corners (subpar screen), and add on incredibly tacky "features," like adding faux wood grain plastic back covers. It's actually pretty hilarious that they though this was a great idea.

As an aside, it's been pretty entertaining watching the google and samsung trolls bickering through the thread. Get a life guys (and some dignity).
  • Reply 92 of 110

the whole Voice UI discussion is complex, or course.

Voice UI is certainly not a "gimmick" - it's all about the implementation. Siri was the first really practical one, and since then Google and MS have their own versions. a full comparison of all three later this year after iOS7 is released would be totally interesting.

first some general observations:

- its huge general advantage is the ability to have the computer do stuff that is tedious to do manually - dictation and booking an airplane trip are a classic examples.

- its huge specific advantage are in circumstances that mandate hands free operation - like in your car obviously.

- but a fundamental drawback and limitation on all Voice UI's are their inherent lack of privacy and potential imposition on other nearby people. so much of the time it is not a good choice - and why texting will always be popular.

- the ideal Voice UI would be completely conversational - speaking without any code phrases or mandatory sequence of content elements in everyday language in a normal tone of voice.

- the ideal Voice UI will have a real "personality" in both its voices and interactive "attitude" - not just sound like a disembodied robot.

the last item is really interesting. Apple gave Siri a female smartass-light personality from the start. now it will add a male voice - but will that personality be different too? (if if were Apple i would license exclusive rights to use Hal - that would be fantastic!). what are the personalities of Google and MS Voice UI's (i dunno)?

and how good - really - are all these UI's "conversationally" in making sense out of what you mean (i dunno)?

the hands-free wake up capability of the Moto X strikes me to be of very limited real value. how often are you going to actually use it? if you are already holding it, pressing a home fingerprint button is just as easy and potentially imposes on no one. (actually, this will be much more applicable to smart watches ...) when aren't you already holding it to start (inside cars doesn't count)? so i think that feature is mostly a gimmick.

[edit - ok there is one potentially really useful situation. totally hands free phone calls from start to finish, never actually touching the phone at all. so you can leave it in your pocket or purse or on your desk or kitchen counter, and as long as you are within earshot and background noise is not a problem you can make and receive calls. or at least answer the phone while still fumbling with getting it out of a purse or not having to stop what you're doing elsewhere in the room. and this is a common situation, so if it works well this is a good feature.]

the voiceprint authentication of the Moto X has real potential - but how is it used throughout the OS? can it replace app passwords, which would be a huge improvement. can it be used to verify purchases/transactions, including NFC or whatever, which would have huge significance? can it be used to prove your identity like a drivers license does to third parties (based on what third party voiceprint database - oh wait, the NSA has that already)? or does all that have to wait for Android 5 (i think so)? without implementation of any of these breakthrough capabilities, mere voiceprinting alone is pretty much just a gimmick too. and for all these potential uses there are still always the potential privacy and imposition problems.

we do not yet know if/how Apple is going to implement fingerprint ID in iOS 7. will it be used throughout the OS in any of the above ways? we do know that iCloud Keychain, coming with OS X Mavericks, will provide half of such an ecosystem-wide password system. we do know Air Drop in iOS 7 will provide half of such a purchase/transaction capability. we do know that there is a large existing third party thumbprint data base - your State drivers license - that government agencies, like the TSA, can access, and fingerprint scanners are widely used by businesses already too. so we will have to wait until the iOS 7 launch in a few months to learn if Apple's fingerprint button is just a gimmick or not.

lastly, it is a real disappointment that Siri is apparently not coming to OS X Mavericks (hopefully this will be a final surprise). full hands free UI for your desktop iMac would be very nice. we could get up and walk around our room and do other things while still interacting with the computer. that would come in really handy in the kitchen, for example. but the key thing is, you need a big monitor screen to look at from a distance to visually check on what is happening frequently for practical use - a smartphone just doesn't cut it for this.

and there is clearly potential with the mythical (so far) Apple Television ...

• Reply 93 of 110
    jetzjetz Posts: 1,293member

Google had a solid opportunity here to refocus Motorola.  With those specs and very lightly skinned software, the phone should have been $399 at most off-contract and $0-$100 on-contract.  Customization would have been a very popular selling point with the masses.  But they failed miserably.

And now the iPhone 5C will offer basic customization through colours and eat Moto X's lunch.

• Reply 94 of 110
    jetz wrote: »
    Google had a solid opportunity here to refocus Motorola.  With those specs and very lightly skinned software, the phone should have been $399 at most off-contract and $0-$100 on-contract.  Customization would have been a very popular selling point with the masses.  But they failed miserably.

And now the iPhone 5C will offer basic customization through colours and eat Moto X's lunch.

Seems to give credence to Google's claim that Motorola Mobility is run as a separate company. Even the OS version is not the latest available (unless it's changed between now and release) even tho Google themselves have been rolling out 4.3x to the Nexus devices for the past few days.

Earlier this year one of the Google execs said not to expect any 'wow" devices out of Moto in 2013 as there was already over a years worth of products developed and slated for release when Google bought them middle of last year. Anything with a heavy Google influence apparently comes in 2014 at the earliest.
  • Reply 95 of 110
    maestro64maestro64 Posts: 5,043member

So imagine you are talking to your friends and just BSing and telling some big fish story to wow your friends, next thing you know the Moto X has been listening to you and hear what it though was a question when in fact you was making crap up only to have the phone do an internet search and announce to everyone you have no idea what the hell your talking about.

Neat feature, just a dumb idea, another example of just because you can do these things and your smart enough to do it does not mean people really wants it.

I see this feature alone as a battery killer, there is no way they can passively signal process someone voice and then make some sort of decision and then got out to the net and bring back information.

• Reply 96 of 110

Quote:

Originally Posted by Maestro64 View Post

Neat feature, just a dumb idea

That just about sums it up.

Other than for use while driving -- which appears to be the type of solution that Apple is pursuing -- I see little else for this cute-sy feature.

• Reply 97 of 110

Other than for use while driving -- which appears to be the type of solution that Apple is pursuing -- I see little else for this cute-sy feature.

Agreed.

...But the benefit for a driver is immense IMO.
  • Reply 98 of 110
    maestro64maestro64 Posts: 5,043member

Quote:

Originally Posted by anantksundaram View Post

Quote:

Agreed.

...But the benefit for a driver is immense IMO.

Well Let me tell you about Motorola/Google/Android last attempt for voice commend in car use. I have Atrix HD (nice phone works well as phone) I also got the car dock and mounted the phone to window, use voice prompt to get direction to a place, work okay, navigation came up, still require interacting with the phone via your hands. Got my directions and began driving, about 45 minutes later I get a message saying the phone was going into standby since the battery was over heating. Then 10 minutes later the phone turned off battery was out of power. Once the battery goes over certain temp it stop charging good idea to save the battery, but why was it over heating. Simple the processor was working too damn hard giving directions and going out to internet to pull back information to present a map to you. On my last trip I phone the phone over the air conditioning vent otherwise it would keep over heating if I attempt to use any application which kept the phone active and on, like Trapster or Waze or Navigation

As i said above I see the always active as a battery killer, Android does not know how to manage power and battery usage. Apply battery is only 1.4AHr to Motorola 2.2Ahr and motorola does not last as long as Apple. Power management become critical when you state making the phone do all these things and Apple understand this from all their years doing laptops.

These guys are all looking for the one killer feature which will draw in consumers, sorry the game has changed too much and people are not buying into that any more, it like Samsung the stupid move your eyes and the movie stops playing why on earth would you want that. Some time when watching a movie I close my eye just to give them a rest and still listen. Against neat feature, just a dumb idea

• Reply 99 of 110
    maestro64 wrote: »
    So imagine you are talking to your friends and just BSing and telling some big fish story to wow your friends, next thing you know the Moto X has been listening to you and hear what it though was a question when in fact you was making crap up only to have the phone do an internet search and announce to everyone you have no idea what the hell your talking about.

Neat feature, just a dumb idea, another example of just because you can do these things and your smart enough to do it does not mean people really wants it.

I see this feature alone as a battery killer, there is no way they can passively signal process someone voice and then make some sort of decision and then got out to the net and bring back information.

That's why it requires a specific phrase to activate the command functionality. Whatever phrase you choose shouldn't be one that would come up in conversation. Out of the box it's “ok Google Now." How many times have you said that to your friends?
  • Reply 100 of 110

Quote:

Originally Posted by wakefinance View Post

That's why it requires a specific phrase to activate the command functionality. Whatever phrase you choose shouldn't be one that would come up in conversation. Out of the box it's “ok Google Now." How many times have you said that to your friends?

if obscenities are allowed, they are really on to something!