Editorial: The mysterious failure of Microsoft's Surface RT

1121314151618»

Comments

• Reply 341 of 347
    tallest skiltallest skil Posts: 43,388member
    [quote name="MaximJ" url="/t/158580/editorial-the-mysterious-failure-of-microsofts-surface-rt/280#post_2372758"]Apple fails to admit a mistake when they make one[/QUOTE]

Utter lies.

[QUOTE]they completely control their app ecosystem like tyranta[/QUOTE]

Utter lies.

[QUOTE]and they're complete a holes to retailers.[/QUOTE]

Utter lies.

[QUOTE]in the smartphone market, iPhones aren't even top of the line anymore, there is better hardware out there.[/QUOTE]

What's that? A phone released once per year can have its hardware specs (nothing else, not even usable speed) trumped in the 11th month of its lifespan? Holy frick.

[QUOTE]But other manufacturers are rapidly approaching.[/QUOTE]

Not even close.

[QUOTE]before calling one company crooks, and acting like the other is the messiah, do consider that the person who staryed MS gives about half his fortune to charity and things like cancer research, and his staff got along well with him. [/QUOTE]

1. We're talking about companies, not people. If you actually had an argument, you'd be able to stick to it.
    2. Bill Gates doesn't work for Microsoft anymore.
    3. Of course he's giving away his stolen fortune. He's atoning for the theft and rape of the technology industry for twenty years.
  • Reply 342 of 347
    drblankdrblank Posts: 3,385member

Quote:

Originally Posted by ascii View Post

This is not the 80s or 90s. There are massive security threats to computer systems and networks these days and having a curated App Store does make you Tyranta anymore it just makes you sensible. 

Giving money to charity is fine and dandy, but these days (in the rich world at least), even an ordinary office professional such as an actuary or

software developer can become a millionaire with a little bit of self discipline. What humanity really needs to move ahead, at this point, is not money but original thinking. And who honestly would you credit with more original thinking, Bill or Steve? I am not an MS hater and agree Bill Gates was also a great man, but lets not forget the fundamentals here.

Well, I always go back to what the original philosophy Bill Gates had vs Steve Jobs.

Bill wanted to get his software on every desktop and Steve just wants to make the best computers. 

I'll kind of take Steve's philosophy over Bill Gates because fundamentally, one is more rooted in greed and the other isn't.  Guess which is which?

• Reply 343 of 347

Quote:

Originally Posted by ascii View Post

This is not the 80s or 90s. There are massive security threats to computer systems and networks these days and having a curated App Store does make you Tyranta anymore it just makes you sensible. 

Giving money to charity is fine and dandy, but these days (in the rich world at least), even an ordinary office professional such as an actuary or

software developer can become a millionaire with a little bit of self discipline. What humanity really needs to move ahead, at this point, is not money but original thinking. And who honestly would you credit with more original thinking, Bill or Steve? I am not an MS hater and agree Bill Gates was also a great man, but lets not forget the fundamentals here.

Neither, both relied on the people working for them, and only actually came up with things themselves in their early days, when they were both as (un)innovative.

(think Xerox ;) )

So you are saying that "people should all aspire to become millionaires themselves, and then giving money to charity becomes meaningless" ? Flawed argument there, We are talking about a person who did this: Shortly after being reinstated as Apple CEO in 1997, he banned corporate philanthropy reportedly with the belief expanding Apple was better for the world than giving to or working with nonprofits. Jobs more than likely did give personally to charity as most of the super-wealthy do to even out tax rates. But he failed on a drastic level to be much more than the stereotypical money-hoarding capitalist.

Quote:

Originally Posted by drblank View Post

Well, I always go back to what the original philosophy Bill Gates had vs Steve Jobs.

Bill wanted to get his software on every desktop and Steve just wants to make the best computers. 

I'll kind of take Steve's philosophy over Bill Gates because fundamentally, one is more rooted in greed and the other isn't.  Guess which is which?

What makes you think that was the philosophy of Steve Jobs? Apple (and Jobs when he was still around to run it) is a company that wants to make money and squash the competition, just like any other company in the world. Apple isnt an altruistic fairytale company.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

1. We're talking about companies, not people. If you actually had an argument, you'd be able to stick to it.

2. Bill Gates doesn't work for Microsoft anymore.

3. Of course he's giving away his stolen fortune. He's atoning for the theft and rape of the technology industry for twenty years

1: I can stick with my argument. To bring it back to companies, Apple is the one that avoids paying taxes due to a very ingenious tax construction.

2: Correct, he wasnt less of a philantropist when he DID work for MS though.

3: That comment is at thesame level as your "utter lies" comments, unfounded, not backed up, and childish.

As for your comment regarding "not even close". Apple currently has 52% of the market, the other 48% of the tablets sold arent Ipads.

To adress the comments on pricing; they do control it that much, I own 3 hardware stores myself, and I stopped selling Apple Products because of the margins they employ, and the general attitude of the company to its retailers, which is quite frankly: appauling.

I also invite you to see what Wozniak had to say about apple: http://www.wpcentral.com/co-founder-apple-steve-wozniak-worried-microsoft-more-innovative-apple

And here, something about your great hero: http://thoughtcatalog.com/2012/its-worth-remembering-that-steve-jobs-was-a-jerk/

• Reply 344 of 347
    philboogiephilboogie Posts: 7,675member
    Of course he's giving away his stolen fortune. He's atoning for the theft and rape of the technology industry for twenty years.

Word has it that after they killed off so many competitors he had to excuse himself from board meetings as he felt repulsive from his actions and needed to vomit regularly. That's when he founded the Bill & Melinda Gates Foundation in 1994.
  • Reply 345 of 347
    drblankdrblank Posts: 3,385member

Quote:

Originally Posted by PhilBoogie View Post

Word has it that after they killed off so many competitors he had to excuse himself from board meetings as he felt repulsive from his actions and needed to vomit regularly. That's when he founded the Bill & Melinda Gates Foundation in 1994.

• Reply 346 of 347
    philboogiephilboogie Posts: 7,675member
    drblank wrote: »
    philboogie wrote: »
    Word has it that after they killed off so many competitors he had to excuse himself from board meetings as he felt repulsive from his actions and needed to vomit regularly. That's when he founded the Bill
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aUqBVaa3_W8

1) Damn, you're fast!

2) Too funny!
  • Reply 347 of 347
    vvswarupvvswarup Posts: 336member

Quote:

Originally Posted by MaximJ View Post

before calling one company crooks, and acting like the other is the messiah, do consider that the person who staryed MS gives about half his fortune to charity and things like cancer research, and his staff got along well with him. Whilst the other donated a small amount (relatively speaking) exactly once, because he couldnt avoid it. ( and he was an a hole to his staff)

I commend Bill Gates for giving away his fortune for things like cancer research, but I will not sit here and let you whitewash his record as a businessman. Gates was much an a-hole to his staff as Jobs was. He was every bit as ruthless as Steve Jobs was in general.