Apple's iPhone may have kept 400K customers from leaving T-Mobile

Posted:
in iPhone edited January 2014
Finally striking a deal with Apple may just have kept T-Mobile from losing nearly half a million customers over the last quarter, according to a new report that examined the impact of the iPhone on America's fourth-largest carrier.

waiters

A new study out from Consumer Intelligence Research Partners estimates that between 300,000 and 400,000 total customers who would have otherwise left wound up staying with T-Mobile in the wake of the iPhone's launch on that carrier. According to The Wall Street Journal, CIRP's estimate is based on a survey of 500 phone activations occurring between April and June, with about 75 of those phone activations being on T-Mobile.

Even when the carrier didn't officially offer the iPhone, T-Mobile was somewhat reliant on Apple's handset. As many as one-in-five of T-Mobile's customers were using unlocked versions of the iPhone on the carrier's network. A survey of T-Mobile's customers found that, among those planning to change devices in the coming year, fully 28 percent planned to upgrade to an iPhone.

Following the device's launch in April, T-Mobile touted a "gangbusters" first day of sales, and there were reports of customers lining up outside of T-Mobile stores to get their hands on the iPhone 5. In the first month after launch, T-Mobile reported selling more than half a million iPhones.

If T-Mobile manages to slow, stop, or reverse customer migration, it would signal increased competition in the wireless service segment. So far, T-Mobile's competitors have continually benefited from the carrier's struggles, adding those customers that T-Mobile regularly shed. The addition of the iPhone, though, as well as novel mobile plan pricing structures, have given the fourth-largest carrier a somewhat better chance to compete against its much larger competitors.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 11
    gatorguygatorguy Posts: 24,212member
    I'm hoping T-Mo does OK. They've struggled with exposure for some time.

One big issue is their network coverage which my son complains about all the time. Pretty sure he intends to jump to another higher-priced provider soon because of it. Unfortunately for Sprint the iPhone hasn't bailed them out so I really hope T-Mo is more successful. I like what they're trying to do and the response it forces from the other providers.
  • Reply 2 of 11
    doe924doe924 Posts: 14member
    T-Mobiles service is horrible. They have a commercial saying their voice network is better than AT&T's. Complete BS. Too bad they can't sell their network with its own features, but instead bad mouths its competition. Just like windows tablets. Pure crap.
  • Reply 3 of 11
    I am one of those customers.

AT&Ts network is far better than T-Mobile's ([At least in my areas of NC and FL] I came from ATT to TMO to save $$$ and regretted it for 2 years). I only stayed because of the iPhone. But now that I have an iPhone and my bill will decrease after i finish paying my phone off I am willing to stay. Without it I would have gone to ATT or Verizon.
  • Reply 4 of 11
    muadibemuadibe Posts: 134member
    jsheffie wrote: »
    I am one of those customers.

AT&Ts network is far better than T-Mobile's ([At least in my areas of NC and FL] I came from ATT to TMO to save $$$ and regretted it for 2 years). I only stayed because of the iPhone. But now that I have an iPhone and my bill will decrease after i finish paying my phone off I am willing to stay. Without it I would have gone to ATT or Verizon.

So you're not saying their service has improved, but that you can put up with the bad service since you are using an iPhone? BTW. I've been a TMO customer since 2004 and am using an unlocked iPhone 4S.
  • Reply 5 of 11
    qamfqamf Posts: 87member

Quote:

Originally Posted by doe924 View Post

T-Mobiles service is horrible. They have a commercial saying their voice network is better than AT&T's. Complete BS. Too bad they can't sell their network with its own features, but instead bad mouths its competition. Just like windows tablets. Pure crap.

Service all depends on where you are.  For example, in the Bay Area (where I live) T-mobile has good coverage and good network.

admittedly, AT&T does penetrate walls better, and still is a bit better overall.

Quote:

Originally Posted by muadibe View Post

So you're not saying their service has improved, but that you can put up with the bad service since you are using an iPhone? BTW. I've been a TMO customer since 2004 and am using an unlocked iPhone 4S.

That kinda confuses me to.  Although, the fact that t-mobile offers such realistic service and billing and such is a good draw.

Soon the USA telecoms start to look like the European ones the better! :)

-QAMF

• Reply 6 of 11
    tokyojimutokyojimu Posts: 529member
    The best you can come up with is a picture of five people waiting outside a T-Mo store? Or are they waiting for a bus?
  • Reply 7 of 11
    I'm in Brooklyn NY and i have stellar LTE service using an iphone 5 with Tmobile in many places and some are not even considered affluent or densily populated areas. i can listen to Pandora or stream videos on the go.
    Can't imagine ATT being any better...
  • Reply 8 of 11

T-Mobile lost me last year for lack of an iPhone 5.

Don't know what all the fuss is about coverage, my T-Mobile phone roamed freely (no charge) on AT&T/Cingular's networks. I made special effort in 2007 to get a quad band GSM phone no matter T-Mobile only operates on 2 bands. 850 MHz GSM was especially useful in fringe areas.

The first 4 months or so on AT&T I had a lot of calls with long delayed echoes. Never had that problem with T-Mobile, and haven't had that problem with AT&T of late.

• Reply 9 of 11
    trumptmantrumptman Posts: 16,464member
    We brought our business to them. I brought two iPhones from Straight Talk and two from Airvoice. AT&T coverage was a bit better where I live and would have been better during some of our vacation locations this summer but the Tmobile plan gives us unlimited everything and six gigs split among four phones for $130 a month total. The cost to benefit alon with free personal wifi hot spot is worth it to me.
  • Reply 10 of 11
    I switched to T-Mobile when they got the iPhone 5 in April, leaving behind my unlimited AT&T 3G coverage grandfathered in from my 2008 iPhone 3G. I switched back to AT&T a month later, after paying off my phone in cash and waiting the mandatory 40 days before they would even think about letting me go. There was no coverage at all at my residence, not even 911 was possible. And this is in the middle of the suburban flatlands of Orange County, California, which one would normally assume to be pretty well covered. Certainly AT&T covers it well, because when I finally was able to unlock my iPhone 5 and power it up with an AT&T sim card installed, it had four bars, and has remained that way at home ever since. Amazing.
  • Reply 11 of 11
    joelsaltjoelsalt Posts: 827member
    Didn't ask to see a coverage map, eh?