Rumor: Video shows partially assembled next-gen iPad with translucent Apple logo

Posted:
in iPad edited January 2014
A video posted to the Web early Saturday allegedly shows a partially assembled next-generation iPad, with a redesigned rear shell attached to a front cover panel boasting bezels substantially thinner than current models of Apple's tablet.

iPad 5 Video

The short clip was uploaded to Japanese Apple blog Mac Otakara's YouTube channel (via nowhereelse.fr.), though it is unclear where the publication obtained the footage. As such, the authenticity of the content cannot be verified and is offered for purposes of discussion.

As seen above, the 30-second video appears to show a partially assembled 9.7-inch iPad with design cues taken from the existing iPad mini, including rounded corners, thinner bezels and a rear-facing microphone. For reference, the purported next-gen tablet is sitting between current-generation models of the iPad and iPad mini.

Noticeably absent are the tablet's internals, including basic circuitry like a home button. However, because the assembly is missing a display, the black front panel stands out in sharp relief against the assumedly aluminum rear shell, granting a look at how thin the side bezels are compared to a current iPad.

Also seen through the front glass is the Apple logo, which is revealed to be a translucent white color when viewed from the back, much like Apple's MacBook lineup. By contrast, current iPads feature an opaque black plastic insert that acts as a window for radio signals.

While unlikely, the design could allow for an illuminated logo lit by the LCD panel's LED backlighting system. Such a feature would be difficult to implement, however, as adhesive is used to secure the tablet's large battery pack to the interior shell wall, a design that covers the Apple logo in both the fourth-generation iPad and iPad mini. In theory, a light pipe or some other mode of light transport could supply adequate illumination, but the added build and parts costs may be prohibitive.

Although not much can be gleaned from the short clip in the way of new information, it does offer one of the first looks at what Apple's rumored fifth-generation iPad may look like.

Apple is widely expected to launch a refreshed full-size iPad later this year, with rumors pointing to a revamped design more in line with the iPad mini's slim, curved body.

As an anticipated fall debut quickly approaches, the number of parts "leaks" is quickly growing. Most recently, a photo released on Thursday showcased a rear case similar to the component in Friday's video. That part was said to have a silver Apple logo, but the report failed to show a clear shot of the mark.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 38
    herbapouherbapou Posts: 2,228member
    New ipad leaks again, that thing must be in full production, like the plastic iphone.
  • Reply 2 of 38
    rogifanrogifan Posts: 10,669member
    herbapou wrote: »
    New ipad leaks again, that thing must be in full production, like the plastic iphone.
    My wallet is ready. Bye bye 3rd gen iPad.
  • Reply 3 of 38
    gtrgtr Posts: 3,231member
    My wallet isn't ready.

Bye bye 4th Gen iPad.

;)
  • Reply 4 of 38
    The next video shows iPhone 5C without internal hardware, again black-and-white combo :)
  • Reply 5 of 38
    MarvinMarvin Posts: 15,309moderator
    That'll be cool if they get the Apple to light up like they do on the laptops. I think it would be neat if they could use it as a camera flash too if there's a way to make it bright enough as the iPad doesn't have one.
  • Reply 6 of 38
    jwdawsojwdawso Posts: 389member
    I'm hoping the 5 vs the 2 will be similar to the 2 vs the original. The 2 is so much nicer - thinner, lighter than the original and just feels great. I haven't gotten the 3/4 because they don't feel better than the 2. I'm looking forward to a better feeling 5 and the awesome screen.
  • Reply 7 of 38
    rogifan wrote: »
    My wallet is ready. Bye bye 3rd gen iPad.
    I have the feeling we will get a worthy upgrade of the 9.7" this time, so they will move a lot of units. Apple said on the earning call that the new hardware launches will be spread between september and early 2014, so I wonder what we will get in september.
  • Reply 8 of 38
    asciiascii Posts: 5,936member

The lit-up logo is very noticeable on Apple laptops, in the movies or in real life. If this is real, and they are doing it on the iPad now, it makes sense, from the point of view of getting attention to the brand.

• Reply 9 of 38
    SpamSandwichSpamSandwich Posts: 33,407member
    herbapou wrote: »

You have been highly critical of every Apple move here, yet you accept this unverifiable video as gospel? I find this weirdly inconsistent.
  • Reply 10 of 38
    sdo2000sdo2000 Posts: 29member
    Can't wait to see how the new case feels. I will probably sell my ipad 4th gen and get the fifth. I love the screen and speed of the 4th. It will be nice to have the full size weigh less.

I hope that apple doubles the ram and uses two gigs. I use photoshop touch often and would like to be able to use my full resolution photos at 6000x4000.
  • Reply 11 of 38
    nobodyynobodyy Posts: 377member

Quote:

Originally Posted by Marvin View Post

That'll be cool if they get the Apple to light up like they do on the laptops. I think it would be neat if they could use it as a camera flash too if there's a way to make it bright enough as the iPad doesn't have one.

Unfortunately, the logo is too far away from the camera to be useful as a flash. I doubt that it'll light up like the MacBooks; to me it looks like they just don't have the complete insert to fill the gap. 

• Reply 12 of 38

Quote:

Originally Posted by SpamSandwich View Post

You have been highly critical of every Apple move here, yet you accept this unverifiable video as gospel? I find this weirdly inconsistent.

All the leaks I have seen coming from those guys have been true so far. I remember them putting iPhone 5 and ipad mini leaks ahead of launches.  

• Reply 13 of 38
    tallest skiltallest skil Posts: 43,388member
    [quote name="herbapou" url="/t/158868/rumor-video-shows-partially-assembled-next-gen-ipad-with-translucent-apple-logo#post_2373265"]I have the feeling we will get a worthy upgrade of the 9.7" this time[/QUOTE]

Nice and subtle, but still noticeable. We got a worthy update last time. :no:
  • Reply 14 of 38
    evilutionevilution Posts: 1,399member
    We got a worthy update last time. :no:

You think the 4 was a worthy update to the 3? All you got was a slightly faster processor and a lightning port. To me that was a refresh.
  • Reply 15 of 38
    Would be awesome if the logo really does light up.

It was one of my favourite features of my first iBook and it still looks amazing.
  • Reply 16 of 38
    SpamSandwichSpamSandwich Posts: 33,407member
    timgriff84 wrote: »
    Would be awesome if the logo really does light up.

It was one of my favourite features of my first iBook and it still looks amazing.

I don't like the idea, personally. It's an annoyance. On the notebooks, it's fine.
  • Reply 17 of 38
    tallest skiltallest skil Posts: 43,388member
    evilution wrote: »
    You think the 4 was a worthy update to the 3? All you got was a slightly faster processor and a lightning port. To me that was a refresh.

… All refreshes are updates. "All you got"; listen to yourself. :no: It's the same we get with any other update!

Oh, cameras. Forgot those.
  • Reply 18 of 38

I'm in that need all three: a laptop;  iPad;  and an iPhone by October...  decisions, decisions.

• Reply 19 of 38
    Bye bye iPad 4 a smaller iPad 5 with A7X chipset getting to current consoles performance is what I have always wanted!

Also a biometric scan on the home button I won't mind having...
  • Reply 20 of 38
    aaronjaaronj Posts: 1,595member

Well, I have an iPad 3, so I've been waiting for this for a while.  I will definitely be upgrading.

I too think it would be cool if the logo were lit up.  I guess we'll have to wait and see.