WSJ: iPad mini with Samsung-sourced Retina display likely coming in Q4

123457»

Comments

• Reply 121 of 139
    stuffe wrote: »
    Struggling to understand how Apple can position a Retina iPad Mini, in the light of the new Nexus 7.

Apple's management is no doubt touched by your struggle and concern for the iPad Mini's competitiveness.
  • Reply 122 of 139
    tribalogicaltribalogical Posts: 1,182member

Quote:

Originally Posted by cnocbui View Post

One of the main uses for tablet devices is as E-readers.  You don't need the WiFi turned on to read a book so it is perfectly legitimate to quote the figure with WiFi off.  I would say reading is likely to be the most likely usage scenario requiring the longest non-stop battery life.

That's a pretty broad, general statement, and one that I think is dead wrong. I do use mine for 'ebook' reading, but it comprises less than 10% of my overall usage. 

At least, that's the case on my iPad.

Not sure how it would be with a 16:9 formatted 7" tablet. That has less than 50% the screen real estate of mine. I suppose I'd be less inclined to use it as variously and might read books with it mostly...

• Reply 123 of 139

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hattig View Post

The new Nexus 7 is getting rave reviews, so Apple have to include a retina display in their next iPad Mini or just look irrelevant. Doesn't matter that iPad Tablet apps are more refined than the Android ones, the Nexus 7 looks good and is priced good, so the next iPad Mini has to have some of that itself.

Another product getting good reviews doesn't automatically erase the fact that the iPad Mini already "looks good" and has a good value for the money. Declaring it 'irrelevant" is completely ridiculous. 

Besides, we're coming up on product refreshes, so these "dire" statements are hardly necessary. So far, Apple has been doing just fine… record breaking sales continue apace, and no end in sight...

• Reply 124 of 139

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gatorguy View Post

Oh, that's much better than using fanboy (which I hate too). Instead of Android users juist call them all stupid looking kids with no business sense who need to grow up but never will. image

Hey, if the shoe fits………  image

• Reply 125 of 139

Quote:

Originally Posted by drblank View Post

I honestly don't care about reviews since they just look at specs.  Those types of review bore me.  I want to use a product that runs the apps that allow me to do something with a product or be able to integrate with various hardware that third parties come out with that can provide a solution.

Go to www.mackie.com.  Do you see them making an professional grade mixing console that integrates an Android tablet?  NOPE. They only do iPads.  Check out the DL1608.  Probably one of the coolest pieces of hardware to come out.   They don't support Android anything.  Apple develops professional grade apps like Final Cut Pro and Logic and the iPad is now becoming a device that integrates with these types of products.  So there really is no reason to even consider Android anything.

Go check out wave machine labs software called Auria, it only runs on an iPad.  Android is a no show. Fairlight app is only on iPad, not Android.  Omni TR is on iPad not Android.  Alesis makes docking stations for iPads, not Android tablets.  ReBirth for iOS and not Android.   The list goes on for who in the music creation and production world that support iOS devices, but don't support Android.  So, I don't know what to tell you other than what the specs of an Android tablet are completely useless if the apps/hardware I am looking using aren't available for that platform.  For us musicians and people in the music industry have really nothing to choose from that supports Android platform.  There might be a couple of tiny companies that actually might have an Android app, but you have to look pretty hard and nothing is really that special.   DO YOU UNDERSTAND?  DOES YOUR BRAIN COMPREHEND that word FAILURE?  That's what the Android is to people like me.  Miserable failure.    I guess if you want to do basic tablet apps, it doesn't matter what you use, but to certain industries, NOPE.  Sorry.

You're absolutely right.

This would be me. I use many of the apps you mentioned for music production/composing.

Then there's the airline industry, replacing all those heavy books with iPads for the flight crew… no android tablets there either… the list of things like this is long.

Plenty, and I do mean PLENTY of like examples across industries, professions, and categories. 

With the recent news of the extreme security vulnerability across 98% of ALL Android devices (and new exploits already appearing in the wild applying that hole), I'd say there's good reason as well...

I'm sticking with iOS, regardless of the hardware. Fortunately, the hardware generally rocks, so… yeah. "Whatever" is my shout out to the naysayers ;)

• Reply 126 of 139
    kdarlingkdarling Posts: 1,640member

Quote:

Originally Posted by tribalogical View Post

Not sure how it would be with a 16:9 formatted 7" tablet. That has less than 50% the screen real estate of mine. I suppose I'd be less inclined to use it as variously and might read books with it mostly...

That format is good for videos.

We have a couple of Android tablets (a 10" and a 7") that we use mostly for kid's games and Netflix.  

They won't ever show up on web stats, but they're used a lot.   Especially this summer, with the grandkids around.

Surfing the web is not the only use for a tablet.  For many people, it's the apps.

• Reply 127 of 139
    fazzterfazzter Posts: 120member

Quote:

Originally Posted by BuddyRevell View Post

Quote:

Originally Posted by snova View Post

The new Nexus 7 advertises 9 Hr of battery life, in reality its more like 6. If Apple did this you know we would have a "battery-gate" and the media would go nuts.  But if Google does this, nothing....  instead we get "great price!"

So true. Google's battery test with wifi off is ridiculously unrealistic, especially since so many of their services are through the cloud. 6 hours of battery life in real world usage is pretty damn weak. The new Nexus 7 is a nice little product, but that's a glaring weakness that many reviewers are glossing right over. When it comes to these small size tablets, battery life is more important than a retina screen imo.

It would be nice to have longer battery life in the Nexus 7 but if you need to look at a tablet device for more than 6 hours a day you have other issues to deal with.

• Reply 128 of 139

Quote:

Originally Posted by KDarling View Post

We have a couple of Android tablets (a 10" and a 7") that we use mostly for kid's games and Netflix.  

They won't ever show up on web stats, but they're used a lot.   Especially this summer, with the grandkids around.

Surfing the web is not the only use for a tablet.  For many people, it's the apps.

So, Netflix "streaming" doesn't register on the internets as "internet use", and therefore also don't register as 'web stats'?

For me it's almost entirely the apps… occasional searches & web, but then 'live' translation, flipboard, productivity (dropbox, evernote, iWork apps, etc.), music production, photography/video, and the occasional game… my iPad is a workhorse.

I couldn't see doing that on a 'squeezed' 16:9 7" format… just... not.

• Reply 129 of 139
    I don't care that much for battery life as long as it last 5 hours a charge. Nowadays; it is like 9 hours but I like the size of the iPad Mini and with retina; that good enough for me for 2 years. An A7 processor would be ideal but an A6X is good too. I will purchase the 128GB and LTE version if it comes in that configuration. Just hope it not over $1,200.
  • Reply 130 of 139

Quote:

Originally Posted by tribalogical View Post

Who says it would be any better than the Nexus 7?

Look, the Mini currently gets 10 hours or more, weighs roughly 10 oz and it's literally pencil-thin. You'll likely sacrifice all three of those to get retina at the present time.

To get retina in the full size iPad, they had to increase the thickness a couple of mm, AND boost the weight to nearly 1.5 pounds, to accommodate the thicker screen and extra battery needed to keep battery at 10 hours. 

These go against the whole concept of the Mini… small, light, 'pocketable'… 

If and only if they can add "retina" without making it thicker and heavier AND sacrificing hours of battery life…. then yes. 

But so far, no-one has shown that to be possible. No-one ever said it WASN'T possible to put a retina display into that form factor, but as Tim Cook said, the tradeoffs are too great… 

I agree. I hope they don't blow it listening to people "demanding" retina as a higher priority than weight, thickness and battery life. It's NOT worth the tradeoff in an 8" tablet IMO!!

If their are buyers in the marketplace; then it worth it!  I be willing to buy a 8" retina Mini even if it weighs more and has only 5 hours of battery life!

• Reply 131 of 139
    snovasnova Posts: 1,281member

Quote:

Originally Posted by KDarling View Post

If all Android customers were like you, Google would be throwing their money out the window selling its tablets at near BOM cost. hmmm.. maybe we are on to something here. 

• Reply 132 of 139

Quote:

If all Android customers were like you, Google would be throwing their money out the window selling its tablets at near BOM cost. hmmm.. maybe we are on to something here. 

You mean by watching videos and playing games, instead of web surfing?

Google has said before that the majority of their mobile revenue comes from in-app ads.. not from web searches.  That's likely one reason why Apple came up with their own iAds program.

Apps and YouTube have lots of ads.  Yet those activities won't show up in web stats.

Hmm.  We need to dig up one of those studies about what people in various demographics do with their devices.  Let me look around.

• Reply 133 of 139
    flaneurflaneur Posts: 4,526member
    herbapou wrote: »
    Its mention in the WSJ article but it could also mean its going to be colors like the ipod touch, so alumium shells and for the new ipad mini.

I saw a rumor about plastic shells like the ones for the iphones C, I will try to find it. It was 2 weeks ago I think.

Thanks. WSJ has this story behind their paywall, so I won't be reading it.
  • Reply 134 of 139
    snovasnova Posts: 1,281member
    [QUOTE name="KDarling" url="/t/158820/wsj-ipad-mini-with-samsung-sourced-retina-display-likely-coming-in-q4/120#post_2372654"]
    You mean by watching videos and playing games, instead of web surfing?

Google has said before that the majority of their mobile revenue comes from
    in-app ads
    .. not from web searches.  That's likely one reason why Apple came up with their own iAds program.

Apps and YouTube have lots of ads.  Yet those activities won't show up in web stats.

Hmm.  We need to dig up one of those studies about what people in various demographics do with their devices.  Let me look around.
    [/QUOTE]
    I think in-app add still get fetched from web servers and show up in web server statistics.

But lets not lose sight of my original point.  Which recall was that,  If you run in airplane mode as a typical use case, as Google suggests in their typical Nexus 7 battery metric use case, they will NOT be getting any analytics on your use and you will not be receiving ads . Which would make all Google's motivation to sell this tablet a moot point for their business model POV.  They will not be making any money on the tablet from ads or have ability to gather any analytics on you. Turning off network access works for Amazon's business model once you buy the content. It also works for Apple. It does not work for Google business model. Did you want to debate this point?
    I thought my point was clear. No active network access no profit for Google. The connection need to stay active during normal use for Google to make a profit. Not so with Amazon or Apple. This is why giving Nexus 7 battery metrics based on airplane mode configuration is not only misleading but hypocritical based on Google's intended purpose for marketing and selling the nexus 7 in the first place.
  • Reply 135 of 139

Quote:

I think in-app add still get fetched from web servers and show up in web server statistics.

In-app ads do not come from web servers.  They come from dedicated ad servers. 

Quote:

I thought my point was clear. No active network access no profit for Google. The connection need to stay active during normal use for Google to make a profit. Not so with Amazon or Apple. This is why giving Nexus 7 battery metrics based on airplane mode configuration is not only misleading but hypocritical based on Google's intended purpose for marketing and selling the nexus 7 in the first place.

Okay, but you said nothing about "no network access" in your reply to me.  In fact, I don't see you saying that anywhere in this thread, but I might've missed it.  Link?  Thanks!

• Reply 136 of 139
    They'll release it with a retina display at 326 PPI. It's a matter of when it'll be available now.
  • Reply 137 of 139
    tallest skiltallest skil Posts: 43,388member
    They'll release it with a retina display at 326 PPI. It's a matter of when it'll be available now.

• Reply 138 of 139

Hope they make the screen out of IZGO? glass.  No more battery worries since it reduce the consumption by 50% or more!  10 hours is going be the minimum if Apple does do go with the new glass.

• Reply 139 of 139
    philboogiephilboogie Posts: 7,675member
    boeyc15 wrote: »
    philboogie wrote: »
    Where is Solipsism when you need him? Geez, I miss that guy.....

Yea, what happened? He didn't jump to Android and Windows?

Solipsism left:
    http://forums.appleinsider.com/t/157914/plan-f-goodbyeee