iOS phone share growing faster than Android in US, UK and France

124»

Comments

• Reply 61 of 71
    This market has become trickier, but Apple is still making the moves.
    I'm looking forward to the iPhone 5S, a def upgrade from iPhone4, for me.
  • Reply 62 of 71
    sammy100sammy100 Posts: 10member
    I fully agree that AAPL is making more profits then Samsung. There was some speculation in the Press if AAPL makes 50% of their operating margin because its revenue is close to 52% of their total revenue. The following are the facts.

Apple's average selling Price for the last 4 quarters is $620 (581, 618, 635, 651).

Average cost of making an iPhone 5 is $207, iPhone 4/4S is $180 (Components cost of iPhone is going down).

So Gross Profit of the iPhones on a average terms is close to 66%.

Average selling Price of an iPad/iPad Mini is $375 and cost of making these iPads is around
    $270.
    So Gross profit for iPads is around 40%.

iTunes Gross profit we all know is 30%, because Apple gets 30% of everything they sell in the iTunes Store.
    Macs estimated gross profit is around 28% approximately.

If you review all the above gross profit among all the products, Apple's iPhone Gross Profit is 70% of all Apple's Profits.
    So Apple's Profit is close to 70% of all its profit.

If you properly review samsung's earnings, you will notice that they club smartphones, iPads, PC, Laptops in their revenue.

Another way to find is the net profit of Samsung & Apple for the last 12 months is as follows:

Apple - 37.75 Billion Dollars (70% of all profits for iPhone = 26.5)

Samsung - 19.77 Billion Dollars ( Samsung makes 100 different products which includes smartphones, iPads, PC, TV, refrigerator Plus 100 other Products.) Samsung may not be making more than 50% of all its profits on Smartphones, but even if you assume it makes 70%, then Samsung's Net Profit on smartphones is around $13.83 Billions.

The actual factual profit mentioned by Apple & Samsung shows us that Apple still has 65% of all the profits in the smartphone market trailing 12 months. These are facts based on their actual earnings.
  • Reply 63 of 71
    hungoverhungover Posts: 603member

the suggestion that windows phone is growing purely and simply because of low end phones is not very accurate. The best selling WP is a mid range phone, followed by the erstwhile flagship 920.

• Reply 64 of 71
    kdarlingkdarling Posts: 1,640member

Quote:

Originally Posted by sammy100 View Post

The actual factual profit mentioned by Apple & Samsung shows us that Apple still has 65% of all the profits in the smartphone market trailing 12 months. 

Yep, and Apple's high profits and sales are very dependent on the mass consumer being able to buy iPhones for around $200 or less.  In other words, subsidized.  

There's an almost direct correlation between the amount and availability of subsidies, and the resulting iPhone sales share.

The good news is that means iPhones are a favorite choice when priced close to other phones. 

That's why Wall Street is looking forward to a less expensive iPhone that would sell well in places without subsidies.

Although per-device cash margins will be lower, analysts predict that Apple's total profits will increase due to more sales.  

Not to mention that it would likely eat into Samsung mid-range sales.

• Reply 65 of 71
    tallest skiltallest skil Posts: 43,388member
    [quote name="KDarling" url="/t/158759/ios-phone-share-growing-faster-than-android-in-us-uk-and-france#post_2373294"]
    There's an almost direct [URL=http://betanews.com/2012/06/05/iphone-market-share-heavily-depends-on-carrier-subsidies/]correlation[/URL] between the amount and availability of subsidies, and the resulting iPhone sales share.[/QUOTE]

There's also a direct correlation between money and third world-ness. :no:
  • Reply 66 of 71
    kdarlingkdarling Posts: 1,640member

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

There's also a direct correlation between money and third world-ness. image

Expensive phones don't sell well without subsidies, even in first world countries  like the US and Japan.  For examples:

In the US, Apple had to drop the price of the very first iPhone by $200 after just two months.  That boosted sales for the holidays, but then sales fell off again until the subsidized iPhone 3G came out for $199.  Then the iPhone became really successful.

In Japan, at full price, iPhone sales were just a blip for years.  Then the iPhone got subsidized down to free or almost free, and adoption exploded.

Again in the US, recently Leap Wireless decided to sell unsubsidized iPhones.  Now it looks like they're going to be on the hook for $100 million worth of unsold devices.

So it's not so much about income, as it is about upfront costs

• Reply 67 of 71
    tallest skiltallest skil Posts: 43,388member
    [quote name="KDarling" url="/t/158759/ios-phone-share-growing-faster-than-android-in-us-uk-and-france#post_2373509"]
    Expensive phones don't sell well without subsidies, [I]even in first world countries[/I]  like the US and Japan.[/QUOTE]

I'd love to see the numbers on the contract-free iPhone specifically. I think that would be interesting, particularly where it's also sold subsidized.

[QUOTE]In the US, Apple had…[/QUOTE]

Ah. Nice try.
  • Reply 68 of 71
    philboogiephilboogie Posts: 7,675member
    kdarling wrote: »
    In the US, Apple had to drop the price of the very first iPhone by $200 after just two months.  That boosted sales for the holidays, but then sales fell off again until the subsidized iPhone 3G came out for $199.  Then the iPhone became really successful.

The reason for the 2nd Gen iPhone to become successful could be due to the fact that they released it outside of the US as well. That, and 3G internet was, obviously, a good selling point.
    In Japan, at full price, iPhone sales were just a blip for years.  Then the iPhone got subsidized down to free or almost free, and adoption exploded.

Don't know about Japan, but any person stupid enough to buy a subsidized iPhone is just plain dumb: if you want to pay the lowest for your phone get it without a contract: it is almost always cheaper that way. But yes; you do, of course, need to pay upfront.

---

While searching for statistics in unsubsidized iPhones I came across this piece, which tells a story of "Why I won’t buy another subsidized Android phone (and why you shouldn’t, either)"
  • Reply 69 of 71
    asdasdasdasd Posts: 5,686member
    Yeah that's easy to say. I intend my next iPhone to be unsubsidised because I want PAYG but forking out 679€ for the cheapest one doesn't work for me. Nor do I want the 4S - that's what I have. But I do want to leave a contract.

It would be a simple sell at <400€. Bring on the 5c.
  • Reply 70 of 71
    hungoverhungover Posts: 603member

the iphone is cross subsidised and often cheaper with a contract, at least it is in the uk

there are a lot of dumb people in the uk saving about £100 by getting a subsidised phone...

• Reply 71 of 71
    philboogiephilboogie Posts: 7,675member
    asdasd wrote: »
    Yeah that's easy to say. I intend my next iPhone to be unsubsidised because I want PAYG but forking out 679€ for the cheapest one doesn't work for me. Nor do I want the 4S - that's what I have. But I do want to leave a contract.

It would be a simple sell at <400€. Bring on the 5c.

Indeed. And if you upgrade every single gen then the costs become even lower as the resell price is pretty high.