Caught by iPad cannibalization, Apple, Inc. gambles on Mac inventory safeguards

Comments

• Reply 41 of 105
    jragostajragosta Posts: 10,473member
    v5v wrote: »
    If we could get a MacBook Air with cellular data we could dump the iPad altogether, especially if it supported SMS text messaging. Then all I'd need is a simple, voice-only telephone (iPhone 5C?).

You could always use a USB stick for cellular data. Not as convenient, of course, but if it saves carrying an iPad. The problem is the cost - I wonder if Netzero or Straight Talk support USB cellular.
    It is a shame the 30" ACD was discontinued. I wonder with the new Mac Pro Apple might re introduced a real man sized screen? :smokey:

I suspect that the demand for a screen that size is tiny. Sure, for professionals, it's great, but for most people, even 27" is huge. In fact, I'm looking at the iMac and wondering if I should just stick with the 21" because the 27" is so freaking huge.
  • Reply 42 of 105

Perhaps there would be less cannibalization of Apple's line up if there were a few more moves to leverage the success of the iPhone and iPad.

I would like Apple to consider is adding either an emulation layer to run iPhone software on a Mac or adding an ARM chip to the system so Macs could run all the software in an iPhone out of the box. This would help development and add lots of new software options to Macs.  Emulating PC software on a Mac to make Web services work is just painful.  By now many of these types of software have been made into Apps so they are native to the OS.   The iPhone software has the potential of making the old dashboard into a really useful feature not merely eye candy.  Not to mention how much this would lower basic software add ons or make properly packaged and vetted open source software into $1 apps.

Am I the only person who believes that a greatly simplified PC with custom built in graphics would be an awesome product between a Mac Mini and a Mac Pro?  The new 760 chip from nVidia is plenty of graphics for the next 4 years and if it were put into an inclosure smaller than the new MacPro and bigger than Mac Mini it would be worth the extra $250 for the computer.

• Reply 43 of 105

Quote:

Originally Posted by jragosta View Post

You could always use a USB stick for cellular data. Not as convenient, of course, but if it saves carrying an iPad. The problem is the cost - I wonder if Netzero or Straight Talk support USB cellular.

I suspect that the demand for a screen that size is tiny. Sure, for professionals, it's great, but for most people, even 27" is huge. In fact, I'm looking at the iMac and wondering if I should just stick with the 21" because the 27" is so freaking huge.

a 32-inch 4K monitor, using an IGZO panel, paired with the new Mac Pro would be a beast of a system.

• Reply 44 of 105
    v5vv5v Posts: 1,357member

Quote:

You could always use a USB stick for cellular data.

I would, but Canadian carriers aren't offering them anymore. Instead they sell "Personal Hotspots" that allow multiple users to share the LTE bandwidth wirelessly but require AC power and are comparatively large.

I was willing to change carriers just to do exactly what you suggest, but NONE of them support USB sticks anymore.

UPDATE: It appears Bell is now offering them again (they weren't when I checked a couple months ago), but the word is the performance is so bad I'd be better off tethering to an LTE phone.

• Reply 45 of 105

Quote:

Originally Posted by Macnewsjunkie View Post

Am I the only person who believes that a greatly simplified PC with custom built in graphics would be an awesome product between a Mac Mini and a Mac Pro?

No, I agree. I know the iMac is supposed fill that category but I can't use it. The computer sits on a shelf connected to the TV, so aside from a built-in display being redundant there's just no room for it. There's room for something bigger than a Mini though.

• Reply 46 of 105
    jragostajragosta Posts: 10,473member
    No, I agree. I know the iMac is supposed fill that category {computer between the Mini and the Mac Pro} but I can't use it. The computer sits on a shelf connected to the TV, so aside from a built-in display being redundant there's just no room for it. There's room for something bigger than a Mini though.

I think you're asking the wrong question. Instead of "why doesn't Apple offer a monitor-less computer between the Mini and the Pro?", why not ask "what need is there for a monitor-less computer between the Mini and the Pro?"

What won't the Mini do that you need it to do?
  • Reply 47 of 105
    sumergosumergo Posts: 215member

The headline reads: "Caught by iPad cannibalization, Apple, Inc. gambles on Mac inventory safeguards"

The thought that Apple doesn't know it's inventory depletion rate and manages it effectively as part of it's overall marketing plan is simply silly.

"Caught & gambles"?  Who is writing this rubbish for Apple Insider?

• Reply 48 of 105
    gazoobeegazoobee Posts: 3,754member

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

I wonder (as though it's not obvious) which Macs are being cannibalized the most.

I said it seven years ago: desktops and tablets are the future.

It's only one subjective data point, but what I've seen over the last five years is:

- basically *zero* MacPros being bought at all anymore

- big decline in iMacs.

- huge, huge decline in MacBook Pro's

- zero Mac mini's (down from close to zero to begin with though).

It's almost all MacBook Air's now. Not too long ago it was all MacBook Pros, in various sizes (with some iMacs in various sizes because they were cheaper for the lower status workers), now it's almost all standard, 11" MacBook Airs.  The only real growth has been in Apple displays which basically work as docking ports for the MacBook Airs.  Part of the iMac decline is almost certainly because they last so damn long now though.  Once you buy one for an office environment you don't need to upgrade or do anything to it for four years or so. 

Almost everyone who previously went for a MacBook Pro now goes for an Air, and about half of those that used to get an iMac do as well. 

• Reply 49 of 105

Quote:

… Sure, for professionals, it's great, but for most people, even 27" is huge. In fact, I'm looking at the iMac and wondering if I should just stick with the 21" because the 27" is so freaking huge.

I still use a 30" ACD at home and it is a bit too big sometimes.  

The thing that keeps me using it is I much prefer the 16:10 aspect ratio that Apple used to use for everything until it caved to conformity and switched to 16:9.  I'm sure it's days are numbered though.  They barely work with the new OS and are not suitable for the average consumer at all anymore.  

It seems clear to me that Apple simply must come out with a new monitor for the new Mac Pro when it comes out as the current Thunderbolt one just won't do at all, especially for professionals.  

So I'm thinking that later this year or early next there will be some interesting new options in that department perhaps. 

• Reply 50 of 105
    1983 wrote: »
    Enough with all this! I just want Apple to finally release new Haswell rMBP's and iMacs yesterday!

Serious question: what's so great about the Haswell, compared to, say, i7?
  • Reply 51 of 105

Quote:

I think you're asking the wrong question. Instead of "why doesn't Apple offer a monitor-less computer between the Mini and the Pro?", why not ask "what need is there for a monitor-less computer between the Mini and the Pro?"

Ask not what Apple can do for you, ask what you can do for Apple?

But seriously, fair point. Perhaps there is no need. There are a couple of minor issues with the current mini that could be overcome simply by making the case a little larger, but nothing that would make the difference between me buying a Mac and not.

Quote:

Originally Posted by jragosta View Post

What won't the Mini do that you need it to do?

Nothing.

It would be nice if it had better pixel pushing power. If I played games on my computer using my TV as a display, it'd be a big jump from a mini to a Pro.

I'd also like to have easier access to the drive because drives wear out, and the ones Apple provide are poopy so I always replace them. Of course in this respect the current model is already miles ahead of the iMac, I'd just like it to be as easy as it is with the MacBooks.

It would also be nice if it didn't get so loud when actually working hard. If less emphasis were placed on making it micromini perhaps a way could be found to make it quieter. Or maybe not. I dunno.

Finally a little issue that's the subject of much debate around here: I'm one of those few who still has to regularly use optical media. I have a little external unit but honestly I'd rather have a conventional 5.25" drive inside the machine. It's just easier (the little outboards are a PITA) and provides better performance at a much lower cost.

Bottom line: No major objections, just little things. If there's room in the Mac lineup for a machine that addresses those little things, that would be nice. If not, no big deal. I'm not dissatisfied with the status quo.

• Reply 52 of 105
    epsicoepsico Posts: 39member

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

Well, with tablets on the go and around the house, what purpose is there to a laptop? Having said that, people will still need something with more power than their tablet, and so since it wouldn't be moving anyway, why take a weaker stationary laptop over a powerful desktop? That desktop, then, can also manage the automated features of the home, both when you're there and when you're away. 'Course that last bit I've only added in the last, oh, two years.

Desktops, of course, are also going to go multitouch. Since they don't have to move, large touchscreens are feasible.

Laptops allow you to take your home computer with you anywhere you go, something that a tablet can not do, plus they don't require a proper desk (the living room table is perfectly fine) and can disappear from view when not needed.  Hiding a desktop is comparatively much harder.  Furthermore, they come with their own UPSes and, if you buy a Thunderbolt Display, Wireless Keyboard, and Magic Mouse / Trackpad, you can have the full iMac experience with an additional monitor with a laptop.  The only downside to laptops is their cost; everything else are upsides; even storage is no longer an issue anymore, just buy a Thunderbolt drive or create some partitions in an AirPort Express, AirPort Extreme, or AirPort Time Capsule and the storage problem goes away when you're home.

Currently I have a MacBook Pro as only personal computer and an iPad as my Internet connection (unlimited data plan at 42mbps); I can take my personal computer anywhere I go and access the net wherever I am without even needing an AC outlet, and at home I can plug it to external peripherals to have the full desktop experience, with an additional display.  Had an iMac before, but never again.  If I ever buy another desktop, it will be a PC for the customization potential.

Quote:

Originally Posted by v5v View Post

If we could get a MacBook Air with cellular data we could dump the iPad altogether, especially if it supported SMS text messaging. Then all I'd need is a simple, voice-only telephone (iPhone 5C?).

Personally, I'm thinking about replacing the unlimited plan that I have on my iPad for another unlimited plan on my iPhone, because I've just discovered while reading my contract that these data plans also support voice calls (although those are paid, I don't make enough voice calls for that to be a concern).  Still need to think, though, because I take the iPad everywhere I take the MacBook Pro and I still want cellular data on the iPad, even if not unlimited.

• Reply 53 of 105

Quote:

Originally Posted by tribalogical View Post

I'm doing something similar. Have decided that an iPad Mini + iPhone 5 + 13" MBA is the perfect toolkit. Those three devices together will satisfy 100% of my mobile and biz needs. I can shoot and edit photos & video, manage listings, edit/print all the standard forms, etc. (MLS and ZipForms on an iPad Mini? Really?) And you can do all that pretty much anywhere. Clients love it when you can pull up extra info while showing (even alternate properties) on the fly.  I considered the 11" MBA for about 30 seconds. I don't care for the 16:9 display format at that size, and the extra screen real estate on the 13" just makes everything so much more usable and comfortable for extended sessions...

We're using iCloud and Dropbox a lot for managing file sharing. Looking forward to using Airdrop across all devices too.

The tools of the future here today! :D

I think u maybe right on the 13" thx! :)

• Reply 54 of 105
    analogjackanalogjack Posts: 1,073member

Quote:

Originally Posted by netrox View Post

I bought MacBook Air and returned it back a week later. Why? I have iPad 3 and I do a lot of web surfing and reading on iPad. I also have Mac Mini and it performs well. I don't think MacBook Air is worth it despite being beautifully designed and well built.

I'd rather have a cheap Wintel laptop since I rarely use a notebook.

So why did you buy the Air if you rarely use a notebook and didn't think it was worth the price? 

Sounds like you are simply an annoying customer taking advantage of the system simply because you can.

• Reply 55 of 105
    slurpyslurpy Posts: 5,384member

Quote:

Originally Posted by v5v View Post

I know that's the case for me -- I haven't updated my aged MacBook Pro or iPhone because I don't care for the current offerings -- but I always I assumed I was the only one. Is anyone else thumbing their nose at what Apple sells now and waiting to see if the next redesign is better?

I'm honestly curious- what is it that you're looking for exactly in "current offerings", and what would it take to update your aged Macbook Pro? This sounds strange, because objectively speaking Apple's notebook line is leaps and bounds beyond what it was a few years ago, and much improved in every single respect (speed/power, display, weight, size, ports, OS, battery life, etc), especially the Macbook Pro. And both the Air and the Pro are considered the best products in their respective categories. So, maybe you can make a list of what you'd like in Apple's notebook line, or what you'd like them to do? It's one thing if you're completely satisfied with your old machine and don't need to upgrade. But not being impressed with their current offerings seems a little irrational, so I wonder what it is specifically you're looking for. 

• Reply 56 of 105

Quote:

Originally Posted by Slurpy View Post

I'm honestly curious- what is it that you're looking for exactly in "current offerings", and what would it take to update your aged Macbook Pro? This sounds strange, because objectively speaking Apple's notebook line is leaps and bounds beyond what it was a few years ago, and much improved in every single respect (speed/power, display, weight, size, ports, OS, battery life, etc), especially the Macbook Pro. And both the Air and the Pro are considered the best products in their respective categories. So, maybe you can make a list of what you'd like in Apple's notebook line, or what you'd like them to do? It's one thing if you're completely satisfied with your old machine and don't need to upgrade. But not being impressed with their current offerings seems a little irrational, so I wonder what it is specifically you're looking for. 

For what it's worth "v5v" is a noted troll on this site and is just trying to be as contrary as possible here.  

They change their opinion week to week based on whatever is the most negative, and thus can't be really said to have an actual opinion per se.  

You say white, they say black, you say up they say down, etc. 

As you noted, in this case they are arguing that one of the best and most popular laptops available in the entire history of laptop computers, as well as the most popular smartphone ever made (one that actually defines the modern smartphone category) are both somehow not up to snuff.  

More than a little irrational. image

• Reply 57 of 105
    slurpy wrote: »
    <span style="font-size:13px;line-height:1.231;">I know that's the case for me -- I haven't updated my aged MacBook Pro or iPhone because I don't care for the current offerings -- but I always I assumed I was the only one. Is anyone else thumbing their nose at what Apple sells now and waiting to see if the next redesign is better?</span>

You got him there.

Expect either no response ( or a weasel-y one).
  • Reply 58 of 105
    MacProMacPro Posts: 19,728member
    jragosta wrote: »

I used to have two 30" side by side whilst editing ESPN shows, now alas a single 27" in semi retirement. I really enjoyed the real estate to be honest.
  • Reply 59 of 105

Quote:

Originally Posted by Slurpy View Post

not not being impressed with their current offerings seems a little irrational, so I wonder what it is specifically you're looking for. 

"A little?" Clearly you don't know me at all! I'm completely irrational!

I just wrote a diatribe explaining my situation in detail but deleted it after realizing that, in addition to being TL;DR, no one really cares.

Suffice to say that I think the move to an in-house form factor for storage is a bad idea, many of the apps I use are not yet retina-optimized, and part of me still clings desperately to the faint hope that somehow someday Apple will resurrect the 17" screen.

The machine I have now was as close as doesn't matter to $4000 after AppleCare and taxes and the current equivalent is still around $3600. For me that's a lotta dough so I just wanna be REALLY sure I'm gonna be REALLY happy before I pull the trigger! I suppose I could just buy a $2500 non-retina model like my wife just did, but I don't know if I'd be any happier with that than what I have now.

As for the phone, I'm just waiting as long as I possibly can in the hope they make one that looks like the HTC One. Damn, that thing looks good!

• Reply 60 of 105

Quote:

Originally Posted by anantksundaram View Post

You got him there.

Expect either no response ( or a weasel-y one).

Screw you, goofball. It's not my fault your job sucks and your wife hates you so quit taking out your misdirected anxiety on me.