South Korean government expresses concern over Obama's veto in Apple-Samsung patent dispute

Comments

• Reply 41 of 102
    jungmarkjungmark Posts: 6,926member
    I guess the check from Sammy to the South Korean govt cleared.
  • Reply 42 of 102
    gtrgtr Posts: 3,231member
    South Korean government expresses concern?

Well, of course.

Samsung IS the South Korean government.

disturbia wrote: »
    My confession for today. It may sound childish but I have already stopped buying anything that has Samsung name on it.

And, I am absolutely sure I'm not the first or only one out there.
    nikilok wrote: »
    Nope I am one of them too. Never owned a Samsung product, never will especially after seeing there shady colors.
    More and more of us every day.

Here too.

I will not buy another Samsung product again, on principle alone.

In fact, give me a chance to buy Samsung or another, more expensive brand, I'm willing to pay MORE to ensure it isn't a Samsung.

I highly recommend others follow this example to send a message.

Many South Koreans feel the same:

http://tech.fortune.cnn.com/2013/04/21/apple-samsung-agent-provocateurs/?iid=obinsite
  • Reply 43 of 102

Quote:

Originally Posted by TBell View Post

For LED/LCD, I would go with Sharp (and did go with Sharp). The problem with Samsung with televisions is Samsung is notorious for putting on display a TV whereby it manufactures the display with good quality. It, however, outsources a large portion of the panels it uses, lots of times from no name China manufacturers. So, you can view three Samsung sets with the quality being different for each. Many of the online forums complain about the panels looking different at home then they did at the store. 

Sharp has been making displays longer than anybody. It has gotten into some legal battles with Samsung over IP theft. Further, Sharp builds all of its displays. I am very happy with the quality of my Sharp set. With that said, I did see a beautiful Panosonic set recently. 

Why LCD/LED? 

The $1,500 60inch Panasonic ST60 plasma has a better picture quality than the best LCD/LED display Sharp has ever made, the $4,400 60inch Elite PRO-60X50FD.

• Reply 44 of 102
    Who do u think u are sk ! USA can kill u like a crock roach . Shut up u shameless !
  • Reply 45 of 102
    gatorguygatorguy Posts: 24,213member
    lakings33 wrote: »

The $1,500 60inch Panasonic ST60 plasma has a better picture quality than the best LCD/LED display Sharp has ever made, the $4,400 60inch Elite PRO-60X50FD.

I have that Panasonic and love the display. As an aside I hadn't noticed until a few weeks ago just how much heat that plasma puts out!
  • Reply 46 of 102
    My confession for today. It may sound childish but I have already stopped buying anything that has Samsung name on it.

My latest purchase? SONY Bravia TV. Love it. Used to believe in Samsung products but no more.

Same here, was considering incl Samsung in my TV & washer dryer quest but not now, Koreans are cool but not Samsung
  • Reply 47 of 102
    bleh1234bleh1234 Posts: 146member
    Who do u think u are sk ! USA can kill u like a crock roach . Shut up u shameless !
    A touch of xenophobia?
  • Reply 48 of 102
    bleh1234bleh1234 Posts: 146member
    So the general consensus is no on Samsung name brand, but its OK if product have Samsung parts?
  • Reply 49 of 102
    And in more news, reports are just now coming in from the Black Hat Conference that Samsung TV's can be hacked and have their cameras remotely activated.

Woo.

F*cking.

Hoo.

I just can't wait for these guys to replace Android with their own smartphone operating system...
  • Reply 50 of 102
    bleh1234 wrote: »
    So the general consensus is no on Samsung name brand, but its OK if product have Samsung parts?

Well, of course, genius, unless you've worked out a way to get incomplete devices to function.

Refusing to buy individual devices produced by Samsung is totally different from not buying devices that contain components.

And isn't that just fortunate for Samsung, eh?

;)
  • Reply 51 of 102
    rob55rob55 Posts: 1,291member

Quote:

Originally Posted by bleh1234 View Post

Not like we have a choice in the matter.

• Reply 52 of 102
    customtbcustomtb Posts: 346member

My latest purchase? SONY Bravia TV. Love it. Used to believe in Samsung products but no more.

I never really had anything Shamesung and don't intend to ever start. Yeah, yeah, their parts are in things but we're talking final branding here.
  • Reply 53 of 102
    9secondko9secondko Posts: 929member
    Samsung must have some "hands in the cookie jar" here in the U.S.

It was obvious, especially in court, that they simply copied Apple through and through. Pure plagiarism.

from the external appearance, to icons, to the grid, to key functionality points.

Samsung is slapped on the wrist, which then gets downgraded to just be a wrist massage - thanks to a Korean judge no less (no possible conflict of interest there...).

Apple uses GSM, like everyone else and Samsung gets a complete ban on Apple's "infringing" products.

Time for Apple to make TVs.

And enter the Search Business while they are at it...

Make it the default on all Macs, iPhones, iPods, iPads, and Apple TVs and BOOM! Instant market penetration.

See how the thieves like someone taking a page out of their books.

Then sue them for using a mouse in their products. Or a trackpad. Or a multitouch touchscreen. or an icon based UI, etc.

Samsung... I bought a Samsung TV a couple years ago since it was nearly as good as the LG it was next to, but a couple hundred dollars cheaper.

It is the only Samsung product I own.

I will never own another. I may just be one man, but enough of "one man" doing the same thing makes a difference. why would I pay money to thieves who hurt my opportunity to enjoy better products from their competitor?

I won't.

But I do have one suggestion for Apple:

make sure the next iPhone is called "6."

And make sure it has a larger screen.

This year marks the first time I have ever heard actual people I know considering the Galaxy S4 over the iPhone 5. And it all has to do with screen size.

/rant
  • Reply 54 of 102
    sumergosumergo Posts: 215member

Quote:

Originally Posted by SockRolid View Post

Agree.  They only look and act crazy.  Deep down inside, Samscum's management are cold calculating business droids.

True, but all business-people / capitalists have to be (by definition) coldly calculating.  All we ask is that they all play by the established international rules as much as they can . . .

• Reply 55 of 102
    tribalogicaltribalogical Posts: 1,182member
    Did they express concern after the THIRD presidential pardon of the CEO of Samsung (for charges of BRIBERY and THEFT no less)? Oh wait, it was their government that pardoned him. Never mind.

• Reply 56 of 102

Quote:

Originally Posted by 9secondko View Post

Time for Apple to make TVs.

If you thought the $1000 re-badged LG display (~$400) known as the Apple Thunderbolt Display was overpriced, just wait till you see an Apple TV.

Knowing Apple they would just take a Sharp LCD/LED panel, integrate a $100 Apple TV box and add $1000 to the price.

Let Apple do what they do best, software and computer packaged hardware.

There is no reason to introduce a middle-man for something as simple as a display.

• Reply 57 of 102
    cyniccynic Posts: 124member

The South Korean government is behaving idiotic in this case and simply stomping their feet like small children do, apparently without even understanding what the disputes between Apple and Samsung are all about.

Samsung tried to use a FRAND patent anti competitively, you simply can't do that, not even if you're an American company. This has nothing to do with Samsung per se. In fact, you can't do that in any civilised country where there are patent laws.

Next week's decision is about something totally different and comparing those two decisions just shows that they don't seem to know what they are talking about, because Samsung is not being accused of violating a FRAND patent, they're accused of violating a truckload of regular patents and they should be banned for that.

Sorry to burst this bubble, but if anyone believed that having opportunities to sell in the western world equals anti competitive practices, stealing intellectual property or extortion then you've been mistaken.

• Reply 58 of 102

Only thing I ever bought from Samsung was a crappy 2.1 MP digital camera pre-iPhone days, with a kludgy interface and the device failed over time.  Poor quality.  I would never likely buy another Samsung product again after reading what they are really like and based on my past experience.  Their true colors have been shown, and they are not pretty.  

• Reply 59 of 102

Maybe to you, but think about how much money it takes to create some kind of wireless technologies? Better yet, why doesn't Apple pay royalties to LG for the fact that they copied LG's Prada phone? Before Prada phone, there weren't any candy bar type phones. It never existed.

• Reply 60 of 102

Quote:

Originally Posted by herbapou View Post

Indeed, its pretty clear they did it to avoid getting bans over FRANDS.  And I dont like the way Samsung is trying to get patents compensation over chips that are made by a company that is supposed to have paid them already.

A malpractice known in the IP / Patent industry as double-dipping.