Apple's iPad lineup slipped to 32% of tablets shipped in Q2 2013

Comments

• Reply 21 of 56

I agree with you... I'm one of them.

• Reply 22 of 56
    nikilok wrote: »
    If there's any reason why iPad sales has dropped in the June quarter its anticipation for a refresh of newer iPads.

I personally know a bunch of people holding back on buying iPad's now waiting for the newer models.

So no big deal.
    I'm waiting to replace our iPad 2 with new full size iPad 128g 4g, & my mini iPad with retina and faster processor
  • Reply 23 of 56
    Dan_DilgerDan_Dilger Posts: 1,583member

Quote:

Originally Posted by mrrodriguez View Post

I'm sure all these numbers are wrong. DeD told me so...

You're free to think for yourself. But what the numbers say is not even very controversial.

Even IDC's own Q1/Q2 is showing that Samsung's tablets down 8.8 to 8.1 million. It was careful not to draw any attention to that. That's nearly a 10% drop. And it was the launch quarter of the Galaxy Note 8! 

Asus is down 2.7 to 2.0 million.

Amazon's 1.8 million dropped so hard its not even in the top five anymore. Neither is Microsoft.

Conveniently, "Others" grew slightly. But overall, IDC says total tablets slipped from 49.1 million to 45.1 million, down 8%.

And while it focuses on Apple not having new iPads, it can't say anything about Samsung having a new tablet nobody apparently wants. Instead, IDC has to look a year into the past to find any good news.

And on top, IDC is reporting over 11 million million tablets than Canalys sees. 

I don't expect any respect from you, but maybe you can at least wait until the facts support whatever you're saying before you start mocking others.

• Reply 24 of 56
    arlor wrote: »
    Try not to make our responses too easy to parody, e.g.

(when Apple was leading comfortably) "Apple rules. The Android tablets don't have a chance!"

(now that Apple's falling behind) "The numbers are fake!"

Better to concentrate on quality. The iPad is still better than any of its competitors. Whether your neighbor has something else or not doesn't change that.

Exactly.

Proclaiming a winner based on sales numbers has always been stupid.

Example:

10 units of the iPad 4
    10 units of a cheap $70 tablet

Are they equal?

Or:

10 units of the iPad 4
    20 units of a cheap $70 tablet

Is the cheap tablet winning?

No way.
  • Reply 25 of 56
    customtbcustomtb Posts: 346member
    disturbia wrote: »
    "If there are other tablets being sold," Cook said, "I don't know what they're being used for."

Looking at it ... amused ... ooohhh .... wow ... oooohhhhh .... eeeee .... and then .... wiping up their a$$? ;)

But on a more serious note, apparently Android fans enjoy easy "rooting". In their eyes, if they can't root, then the device sucks!

Apparently they spend their time rooting them instead of using them... Lol
  • Reply 26 of 56
    maestro64maestro64 Posts: 5,043member

Remember this when viewing statistics and this is all statistic since it is not based on any hard numbers, most all of them are being extrapolated.

"There are 3 kinds of liars in the world, First you got the everyday liar, followed by the damn liar (this guys going to hell for his lies) and at the top of the stack of liars is the Statistician."

Basically stats are just all lies, and you can cut and slice numbers how you want to get them to tell a story you want. Ask the Republicans how well their Statisticians did for them, it was a case of the Damn Liar believing the Statistician.

What most people do not realize this is very common place, it taught in business schools, when you do not have all the numbers just extrapolate them from some other information or numbers. When I went to business school I could not believe when I heard the Professors basically saying make up the numbers if you not find the real numbers.

Think about how much everyone here knows about these numbers and how wrong they are in total, Just think about how other industries and their made up numbers and how people just take them on faith. 

Case and point even Walls Street know this is all bull, they are driving up apple stock price on a down day

• Reply 27 of 56
    macvictamacvicta Posts: 346member
    rogifan wrote: »
    I could go for this. But only if Apple doesn't have to resort to plastic in order to achieve those prices for the mini. I'd hate to see that beautiful device go the way of the cheap iPhone just to meet a certain price. The other thing is how do they sell a mini for cheaper than the iPod touch? Unless they reduce the price on the touch with camera?
    The iPod touch has run its course. Time to put that baby out to pasture. Once the iPhone 5C debuts, there will be no need for it. Matter of fact, kill the entire iPod lineup. Then call the new wearable devices "iPods." There is no future in standalone music players.

As for a potential plastic case, I wouldn't mind at all so long as it was a high quality, durable plastic with a great feel. I wouldn't expect anything less than that from Jony Ive; I'm sure the iPhone 5C will be top notch in that department. It would also serve to make the mini even lighter, which would be a welcome byproduct.
  • Reply 28 of 56
    allenbfallenbf Posts: 993member

I bought a Nexus 7 this weekend. I returned it today for a refund.

Truth be told, it's a fine tablet, I just despise the aspect ratio. I'll see if the iPad mini has retina this fall, if not I'll just buy the latest iteration of the iPad mini. Screen size is perfect for my needs and I love the build and portability.

Having said all this, I will admit that Android 4.3 is pretty nice, operates smoothly. I'm still considering the Moto X, depending on reviews and if Apple has something major up it's sleeve with the iPhone 5s. Fingerprint recognition isn't enough for me unless it's tied to a wallet.

More on topic - It's Apple against dozens of other companies on tablet sales. There is no doubt they'll lose some ground, but that will likely change with a refreshed product.

PS - sorry about the font.

• Reply 29 of 56
    tribalogicaltribalogical Posts: 1,182member
    yep, now that we're counting every $50 "tablet" as part of the market%u2026

we need differentiation, much like we differentiate "smartphones" from "feature phones". Aside from being capable of connecting voice calls, they are barely synonymous as devices.

This is the new way to make Apple's dominance appear weak or weaker. Count everything and the kitchen sink that could remotely appear to be competing in the same market.

Apple isn't competing with the $50 cheap "tablet". iPad isn't even in the same category.

On the opposite side, iPad isn't counted in the "PC" space either.

When you remove the "junk" from the count, Apple retains a huge lead in the market. When you add them to the PC count, they dominate completely.

These numbers clearly reflect a kind of fear of that reality. The sudden appearance over the past few weeks of 'mystery sales' equal to 38% of the market (that "others" column) says a lot to me.

And, yes, where is Amazon? They had the 2nd or 3rd best selling devices on the market. At one point nearing a double-digit share. Vanished?

I don't buy these numbers. Sorry.
  • Reply 30 of 56
    focherfocher Posts: 687member

Quote:

Originally Posted by Arlor View Post

Try not to make our responses too easy to parody, e.g.

(when Apple was leading comfortably) "Apple rules. The Android tablets don't have a chance!"

(now that Apple's falling behind) "The numbers are fake!"

Better to concentrate on quality. The iPad is still better than any of its competitors. Whether your neighbor has something else or not doesn't change that.

The problem isn't that the numbers don't support the desired outcome. The problem is that the numbers are not at all supported. By anything. There's no factual information in these research publications that provides any factual support for the numbers they present. Then it becomes a self fulfilling citation. Next you will see "As IDC reported ..." as being the evidence of facts, when the underlying thing that IDC published has no actual evidentiary support.

• Reply 31 of 56
    just_mejust_me Posts: 590member

Quote:

Originally Posted by focher View Post

The problem isn't that the numbers don't support the desired outcome. The problem is that the numbers are not at all supported. By anything. There's no factual information in these research publications that provides any factual support for the numbers they present. Then it becomes a self fulfilling citation. Next you will see "As IDC reported ..." as being the evidence of facts, when the underlying thing that IDC published has no actual evidentiary support.

Tim Cook sites IDC

• Reply 32 of 56
    pendergastpendergast Posts: 1,358member

So who are these "Others"?

I hope they're not including customized solutions for businesses (have you seen the tablet (read: screens) in bathrooms now?) and mixing it with consumer markets.

The ONLY and I repeat ONLY reason market share matters at all is the ecosystem, and how that impacts developers. The ecosystem has to be healthy enough for developers to be eager to support it.

Besides customized solutions that won't likely be used to run a third-party developer's apps, there's also the issue of including whitebox Chinese tablets. If you're a developer in the Western world, how likely is it that your app will be downloaded in China? Yet the marketshare figures include huge numbers of tablets likely ONLY sold in China.

Really, worldwide market share figures aren't very relevant. It's much more useful to break it down by region. While some apps have a global appeal, I would imagine most bigger developers have different versions for different markets as well as local offerings. 

In all these marketshare reports, all that seems apparent is that Apple hasn't yet cracked China significantly or other developing markets. In more developed markets, they're pretty dominant.

• Reply 33 of 56
    adonissmuadonissmu Posts: 1,776member

Did you guys see the LA Times article that said tablet sales were down across the board because Apple failed to release a new tablet in the second quarter of the year. I liked that the iPads came out in the middle of the year rather than at the end of the year. It's easier for everyone to get their hands on one and for Apple to manage the supply chain. Dumping all of your product out to the public at the end of the year seems like bad strategy and is just asking for bottle necks in the process. 

• Reply 34 of 56
    see flatsee flat Posts: 145member

I'm not saying the numbers are wrong... but where I am, I have never seen anyone (with the exception of my wife who bought an 80 $ piece of junk tablet running android)  use anything but iPads. I'm serious... I cant wait to see someone show a "high end" adroid tablet they actually use.

• Reply 35 of 56
    ktappektappe Posts: 823member

Quote:

Originally Posted by Suddenly Newton View Post

Others is winning. Who is that? "White box" cheap tablets flooding from China?

If it is, why do you discount it? A user who buys a cheap Chinese tablet is a user who isn't buying an iPad. Those numbers matter, despite all the excuses for Apple that are appearing on this list. Other excuses so far include "People are waiting for the new iPad", which is also a knock against Apple for making them wait 18 months for a new model. 

• Reply 36 of 56
    ktappe wrote: »
    A user who buys a cheap Chinese tablet is a user who isn't buying an iPad.

That's true... in the most literal sense.

Assuming it's truly a problem... what's Apple supposed to do? Start offering $79 tablets just because the white box guys are doing it?

That would be a horrible idea... dontcha think?

Apple is already selling every iPad they can make. And they are rather complicated to produce... nice quality... good stuff.

Is Apple supposed to throw all that away in order to match the volume of cheap garbage tablets?

No way.

"Cheap Chinese Tablet" is now the #1 tablet in the world... but that is NOT a trophy...
  • Reply 37 of 56
    arlorarlor Posts: 532member

Quote:

Originally Posted by focher View Post

That wasn't my point. My point was that too many people here celebrate numbers, no matter how dubious, that look good for Apple, while criticizing numbers that look bad for Apple. 

Better just to concentrate on quality differences. Ultimately, Apple's market share with the iPad was so high that it has nowhere to go but down. The web usage numbers are probably going to change eventually, too, with so many cheap tablets out there.

Better not to make a big deal of numbers that aren't going to stay favorable.

And best not to be hypocritical by celebrating numbers when they're good but calling them fake when they're bad.

• Reply 38 of 56
    freerangefreerange Posts: 1,597member
    herbapou wrote: »
    Well, look at the % gains of the company that are in the list, still triple digits numbers.
    But for the most part, coming off very small bases. Plus when you figure it can take millions of devices "shipped" just to fill the global sales channel, the numbers are pretty meaningless.
  • Reply 39 of 56
    joindupjoindup Posts: 80member
    Whilst I'm sceptical on those numbers based on the "cafe test" where it still seems like the iPad is the only product people are buying and using, one area that is hurting our family budget is the bunching up of both iPhone and iPad updates in the holiday season. If Apple think I can buy new iPhones for my wife and I, iPads for the kids and Mac Pros for work, all in the same quarter, they're dreaming. Seems an odd strategy to bunch up the hardware releases into one quarter annually, especially with the inventory king, Tim Cook, in charge. It also hurts PR as if there is no ongoing releases of kit, journalists seek out other, usually less flattering topics to write about. Surely iPhones, iPads, Software/WWDC, and "everything else (TV, watch, iPod etc)" could occupy a quarter each and share the limelight.
  • Reply 40 of 56

Quote:

Originally Posted by FreeRange View Post

But for the most part, coming off very small bases. Plus when you figure it can take millions of devices "shipped" just to fill the global sales channel, the numbers are pretty meaningless.

Opps

"Apple’s “sold” numbers are really its shipment numbers, according to several prominent financial analysts who obsessively follow every word and number that emerges from Cupertino. Horace Dediu, who writes the Asymco blog, told me that “Apple’s reports show shipments not sales.” He added, “All vendors as far as I know report shipment data since that is what they can record.” He has written about the nuances of what being “sold” actually means as well."