Google's Brin funds $332K lab-grown beef hamburger, looks to make meat a sustainable resource

Comments

• Reply 41 of 130

This is really an awesome bit of news. Not that it has anything to do with Apple - but still awesome.

I just hope the cultured meat isn't going to turn us into sick zombies one day -- but on the plus, side; that's what our current Beef is going to do if we continue to eat cloned, sick cows.

Rather than turn the animals into some mutant vegetable, yes, let's grow stuff and make it meat.

Just NEVER EVER, let it out and fall into a vat of some radioactive waste, I really don't want to be chased down by a giant meatball.

• Reply 42 of 130

Quote:

Originally Posted by anantksundaram View Post

I'd rather chance that than the stuff you people buy in fast food joints.

True that. People have no idea how gross factory farm livestock have become.

I'm fairly sure that chicken nuggets are actually raised exactly in nugget form now; no eyes or beak; and their feather turn into a golden batter just before it's time for them to roll into paper bags with large "M"s on the side.

• Reply 43 of 130
    I'm fairly sure that chicken nuggets are actually raised exactly in nugget form now; no eyes or beak; and their feather turn into a golden batter just before it's time for them to roll into paper bags with large "M"s on the side.

I think you're spot on. .
  • Reply 44 of 130
    sflocalsflocal Posts: 6,096member
    Funny the responses to someone trying to help humanity. What has Apple or Tim Cook been working on that helps humanity?

The fact you're asking such a hugely stupid question validates how ignorant you truly are.

Why don't you get off that lazy butt of yours and spend 5 minutes researching what Apple and Tim Cook does for society and the environment instead of posting your nonsense?

Or are you just going to continue playing the lazy card and demand links from people so you can perpetuate how useless your contributions are?
  • Reply 45 of 130

Quote:

Originally Posted by mrrodriguez View Post

Funny the responses to someone trying to help humanity. What has Apple or Tim Cook been working on that helps humanity?

Google helping humanity?!! This is an Ad / SPAM based company. It's Google! LOL

What does Apple / Tim Cook to help humanity? This, Today and To Save Lives: http://appleinsider.com/articles/13/08/05/apple-announces-takeback-program-for-counterfeit-usb-power-adapters.

And believe me, it will cost Apple a lot more than Sergey's lousy $332K.

• Reply 46 of 130
    Deleted. (In poor taste).

:-)
  • Reply 47 of 130
    You can reduce the amount of antibiotics in the beef BY NOT USING IT.

Seems to work for every other nation. Here in New Zealand it is illegal to have any trace of antibiotics in the meat or milk. In fact dairy farmers here get fined $10,000 / gram of antibiotics found in milk.

It's really poor quality farming that requires so much antibiotics.
  • Reply 48 of 130

I would imagine this is not far from what we already been served in super markets.

While not appetizing its still pretty amazing and hopefully will lead to other advancments. Imagine growing new organs for transplanting etc... this is all part of the same science.

However in the mean time I will stick to non-process foods..... but if I had to choose between a franken-burger or a hotdog served at a stadium. It would be frankenburger everytime.

• Reply 49 of 130
    rjc999rjc999 Posts: 69member

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gazoobee View Post

This is really misleading though.  

All the advertisements for the process like this one show hamburger that looks just like hamburger, but every report by anyone who has seen it or eaten it, describes it as "grey," "slimy," and that it tastes "not very much like beef."

This is really just false advertising.  Synthetic meat is just not very likely to be a replacement for real meat for a long time.  

Like most Google projects ...this is more "pie in the sky" than it is meat on your barbecue. 

This is not a Google project. Google Derangement Syndrome again. This happens to be non-commercial product that took a research grant from Sergey Brin.

*Research*. The article says 10-20 years for commercialization. This is long term study.  What's so hard to understand? This country is going to go down the tubes if people's attention deficit disorder and greed for short term gains and results does not permit basic research.

• Reply 50 of 130

Quote:

Originally Posted by Disturbia View Post

What does Apple / Tim Cook to help humanity? This, Today and To Save Lives: http://appleinsider.com/articles/13/08/05/apple-announces-takeback-program-for-counterfeit-usb-power-adapters.

And believe me, it will cost Apple a lot more than Sergey's lousy $332K

They only doing this so that they don't get sued encase one inferior product is linked to another.

• Reply 51 of 130

Quote:

not google - brin, not cook, apple

really think Brin's $300k experiment is very different to Apple's buy back - why would you compare them? Should i compare paddle board trip from Cuba to USA with a manufacturer of auto tires?

• Reply 52 of 130
    Here in New Zealand it is illegal to have any trace of antibiotics in the meat or milk. In fact dairy farmers here get fined $10,000 / gram of antibiotics found in milk.

Hmm... It's not antibiotics, but it seems that everyone has issues these days? http://www.nytimes.com/2013/08/06/business/global/new-zealand-dairy-giant-apologizes-over-tainted-formula.html?_r=0
  • Reply 53 of 130
    firelockfirelock Posts: 238member
    Soylent Green is people!
  • Reply 54 of 130
    Eat more chicken. Admirable scary quest bioengineering food, I would eat if there was ever a shortage of natural food sources in the world, hell I'd eat sautaed dog or cat if I had to.
  • Reply 55 of 130
    rjc999rjc999 Posts: 69member

Quote:

LOL, a recall program for shitty third party adapters is what you consider charity? #firstworld problems.  How about free flu vaccinations for San Francisco children? How about making your phones in the US like Motorola.

You do realize that Google has a whole division devoted to charity set up by Larry and Sergey, Google.org. It gives over $100 million in cash + $1 billion in tech services and tens of thousands of volunteer hours. This doesn't count Google's green energy or education initiatives, nor its employee matching program which has been around far far longer than Apples.

As a company, Google is far far more generous than Apple and far less addicted to nickle-and-diming every aspect of their business and penny pinching while a $100billion pot of gold keeps filling. Google's founders also didn't rip off their best friends by passing off someone else's work as their own, lying about the bonus, and pocketing the majority of it.

• Reply 56 of 130
    nhtnht Posts: 4,522member

This is actually pretty cool.  

I remember reading a science fiction story (Heinlein I think from the 50s) when I was a kid where a senator hostile to space was visiting a/the moon base to cut its budget.  The scientists there had developed an artificial cow to make milk and some meat but had to hide it.  Back then (when the story was written) they thought milk was a good idea for ulcers and in the story the senator had ulcers and had guzzled all his milk.  So they made more, impressed the senator and got their budget approved.

We're missing the flying cars but looking at the world today vs the world folks in the 50s and 60s thought we would have today it's pretty damn cool what we take for granted or, like in this thread, denigrate.  

I'm in a strange city I haven't been to before without a worry about getting lost, able to find great restaurants without knowing anyone here, watch a movie or read a story about someone cloning artificial meat while waiting in line and take decent pictures of the sights send them instantly to my wife on the other side of the country all from a phone in my pocket.  How cool is that?  I don't care if it's an iPhone or a Galaxy...they both can do this and it's insanely great.

F**k you debbie downers.  You suck.  When Gates or Brin or Cook does something cool with their money I applaud and ignore the petty tech rivalries that only losers really give a sh*t about.

• Reply 57 of 130
    mhiklmhikl Posts: 471member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Right_said_fred View Post

never the less, have you read how many millions of acres are cleared so that we can let cattle graze? If we need more meat, making meat without the suffering or inefficiency of using cattle is not in itself a bad idea, certainly its an idea to be explored 

Good question, Right_said_fred, and I have, as most every person who has a teensy-weensy interest in our good planet or evening news surely has heard, over and over ad nauseam, like good truths are. Sorry for the delay, but I have been looking for something special for you to listen to. - more on that later.

----- 

Friend, if we believe what the govt (I am not talking about politics,) the media, our teachers, doctors, parents, the odd loose lunatic on the street tells us in such matters as …> medicine, the food pyramid, climate warming, the scarcity of water, of energy, how wasteful raising animals are to the lands, and you or your wife uses a swiffer (sp?) mop to wash floors or use soap out of plastic bottles for laundry (maybe only because its about all one can find now a days) or that brushing and flossing will save all teeth, that we are the only sentient beings in this universe, that the speed of Einstein's light equation is the fastest anything travels, that the universe started from nothing or maybe from something supper scrunched, that people are too stupid to accept explanations of important big ideas that only wheel barrow heads can understand, or that the universe is expanding at an ever increasing rate on its way to a frozen hell of lord knows how many mathematical dimensions; then be comfortable,be happy and read no further; I may have been wasting my time in this reply, or someone might be a wee bit curious: You may just live in the box of our times and that is good and such has proven successful over the millennia our species has walked this good earth (though in times of stress and destruction it is the out of box thinkers that have saved our sorry bacon (and then the cycle reverts to the box sitters). Where ever ye stand, or sit; be happy.

But is you are still here, I can yet find the podcasts discussion (rats!) by Kim Greenhouse on "It's Rainmaking Time" on raising animals leads to little/no stress and healthier lands and more food production than does the  mono cultured mess, swathing America is become today; it is so good, is on her site and I will eventually find it & I shall post it 
    here:---> (right here between these here parentheses)
    however long it takes me. (Well, I'm flighty and our toddler makes me forget everything) It is on Kim's sight and it (her site) is such a treasure trove of ideas crazy, and filled with ideas by very smart people (wheelbarrow heads), that only people who aren't comfortable being cocooned in the realities laid claim to, today, can visit comfortably (comfortable for them is jumping up and down,listening to strange ideas, speculating on other possibles, learning to leap tall buildings).

But here is one I could find and I shall listen to it tonight or probably tomorrow for I remember it being interesting and poignant. 

http://itsrainmakingtime.com/2012/johnmurphy/

There is hope for the lands, my fellow sentient being. It just ain't possible with the ideas the box sitter keep hearing days after day, today (we are in comfortable times). (Box sitters make up >95% of our population and are important for the survival and continuance of our cultures in moderately stress and less, times.) There is no shame in living inside or outside the boxes of our cultures. Living inside the box makes us feel comfortable that our way is the best and only true way. I've already explained how living outside is, like stepping out of yr boxers when the girls are looking. :)
    And thank-you for asking a question on my post.

Namaste and care to all sentient beings across our ever-being, not expanding, conscious, interconnected universe

addendum - I have no idea why my post seems to be in larger print from viewing it yesterday. And with all the weird style thingies I won't dare to try and change don't size. For the AI member who doesn't like 'screaming' larger than usual font sizes, my sincere apologies.
  • Reply 58 of 130

Quote:

Originally Posted by Right_said_fred View Post

how about a cow that was slaughtered many weeks ago, and the steak aged properly?

That's good too. So is a freshly killed pig roasted whole on a spit. Yummy. Getting bored here in the city and have a hankerin' for some real home-grown food.

• Reply 59 of 130
    mstonemstone Posts: 11,510member

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gazoobee View Post

This is really misleading though.  

All the advertisements for the process like this one show hamburger that looks just like hamburger, but every report by anyone who has seen it or eaten it, describes it as "grey," "slimy," and that it tastes "not very much like beef."

This is really just false advertising.  Synthetic meat is just not very likely to be a replacement for real meat for a long time.  

Like most Google projects ...this is more "pie in the sky" than it is meat on your barbecue. 

Don't worry dude. Real meat will be readily available to those who survive the Apocalypse. Bow and arrow at the ready. Just joking. Personally, I would prefer to be a vegetarian anyway, but they are genetically modifying that too so I guess we can't win unless we grow our own.

• Reply 60 of 130
    gazoobeegazoobee Posts: 3,754member

Quote:

Originally Posted by rjc999 View Post

This is not a Google project. Google Derangement Syndrome again. This happens to be non-commercial product that took a research grant from Sergey Brin.

*Research*. The article says 10-20 years for commercialization. This is long term study.  What's so hard to understand? This country is going to go down the tubes if people's attention deficit disorder and greed for short term gains and results does not permit basic research.

1) you're splitting hairs.  I could/should have said "projects that Googlers are interested in." same thing. 

2) anything that's 10 to 20 years out is just futurism and not even worth talking about.  There is all kinds of crap that people *believe* will be happening in 10 to 20 years (space elevator comes to mind) that's absolute nonsense.