Apple's iPad lineup slipped to 32% of tablets shipped in Q2 2013

13»

Comments

• Reply 41 of 56

Quote:

Originally Posted by ktappe View Post

If it is, why do you discount it? A user who buys a cheap Chinese tablet is a user who isn't buying an iPad. Those numbers matter, despite all the excuses for Apple that are appearing on this list. Other excuses so far include "People are waiting for the new iPad", which is also a knock against Apple for making them wait 18 months for a new model. 

It's worth discounting because there is little to no profit involved.  The whole reason anyone cares, aside from the fanatics, is shareholders making money.  Why else does it matter that more turds are sold than apples?

• Reply 42 of 56
    freerange wrote: »
    But for the most part, coming off very small bases. Plus when you figure it can take millions of devices "shipped" just to fill the global sales channel, the numbers are pretty meaningless.
    Opps

"Apple’s “sold” numbers are really its shipment numbers, according to several prominent financial analysts who obsessively follow every word and number that emerges from Cupertino. Horace Dediu, who writes the Asymco blog, told me that “Apple’s reports show shipments not sales.” He added, “All vendors as far as I know report shipment data since that is what they can record.” He has written about the nuances of what being “sold” actually means as well."

For the millionth time, yes, but APPLE IS THE ONLY COMPANY THAT ALSO PROVIDES NUMBERS SOLD AND CHANNEL INVENTORY DATA SO YOU CAN (FAIRLY) PRECISLY ESTIMATE SALES. (Sorry to shout).
  • Reply 43 of 56

Quote:

Originally Posted by Victory2013 View Post

Opps

"Apple’s “sold” numbers are really its shipment numbers, according to several prominent financial analysts who obsessively follow every word and number that emerges from Cupertino. Horace Dediu, who writes the Asymco blog, told me that “Apple’s reports show shipments not sales.” He added, “All vendors as far as I know report shipment data since that is what they can record.” He has written about the nuances of what being “sold” actually means as well."

I think you're a bit confused.  Apple makes a point of saying they report unit sales, not units shipped.  Can you site an authority on this topic who says Apple is lying about that?

• Reply 44 of 56
    chazwatson wrote: »
    Opps

I think you're a bit confused.  Apple makes a point of saying they report unit sales, not units shipped.  Can you site an authority on this topic who says Apple is lying about that?

See above. (Apple is not 'lying'. They themselves state it in back and white in their SEC filings under 'revenue recognition policies'. Look it up).
  • Reply 45 of 56
    murmanmurman Posts: 159member

Again with the "shipped", shipped means "NOT YET SOLD", and really its "wishing to sell", doesn't matter what the mo****f**king marketing strategy is.

• Reply 46 of 56
    N
    ktappe wrote: »
    If it is, why do you discount it? A user who buys a cheap Chinese tablet is a user who isn't buying an iPad. Those numbers matter, despite all the excuses for Apple that are appearing on this list. Other excuses so far include "People are waiting for the new iPad", which is also a knock against Apple for making them wait 18 months for a new model. 

LOL. I didn't knock it. I didn't say the numbers didn't matter. I just wanted to know what "Others" meant. I assume bottom feeder white box tablets being sold on the streets of Honk Kong in open air markets. Or "off" brands like Coby being dumped in Wal-Marts. Your defensive tone and overreaction in response to me is funny and out of place.
  • Reply 47 of 56
    alfiejralfiejr Posts: 1,524member
    N
    LOL. I didn't knock it. I didn't say the numbers didn't matter. I just wanted to know what "Others" meant. I assume bottom feeder white box tablets being sold on the streets of Honk Kong in open air markets. Or "off" brands like Coby being dumped in Wal-Marts. Your defensive tone and overreaction in response to me is funny and out of place.

exactly. the "other" category is certain to grow dramatically from here on. junk tablets all over the world. most running some screwed up version of Android. yeah, that's "winning"!

but the cruel irony is it includes Kindle and Surface tablets too [snark].
  • Reply 48 of 56

Quote:

Originally Posted by Disturbia View Post

"If there are other tablets being sold," Cook said, "I don't know what they're being used for."

Looking at it ... amused ... ooohhh .... wow ... oooohhhhh .... eeeee .... and then .... wiping up their a$$? image

But on a more serious note, apparently Android fans enjoy easy "rooting". In their eyes, if they can't root, then the device sucks!

yes any device I pay for better work and do whatever I want it to do. not just what some company decides.

• Reply 49 of 56
    nelsonxnelsonx Posts: 278member

Quote:

Originally Posted by mrrodriguez View Post

I'm sure all these numbers are wrong. DeD told me so...

DeD is so great, he knows everything! He's like the smartest man on Earth!

• Reply 50 of 56

Quote:

Originally Posted by anantksundaram View Post

See above. (Apple is not 'lying'. They themselves state it in back and white in their SEC filings under 'revenue recognition policies'. Look it up).

Fail.  The link says nothing about Apple engaging in masking sales numbers with shipment numbers.  Try again?

• Reply 51 of 56
    mudman2mudman2 Posts: 54member
    Dear AppleInsider

Please stop putting IDC crap up, we all know they are paid by Samsung and pull these numbers out of their asses

I run the employee purchase scheme in my company and to date we have NEVER had an employee ask us to get them any other tablet than the iPads, even Android users.

• Reply 52 of 56
    froodfrood Posts: 771member

So lemme get this straight... we're supposed to punish Apple because millions of $70 tablets get shipped in China and India.

Yeah... that makes sense!

Nobody is punishing Apple. If they sell more tablets they are worth more money than if they had sold less. They sold fewer tablets, so they are worth fewer dollars than if they were selling a bunch more. Either way they are still great tablets.
  • Reply 53 of 56

Quote:

Originally Posted by chazwatson View Post

Fail.  The link says nothing about Apple engaging in masking sales numbers with shipment numbers.  Try again?

I did not provide you a link: I gave a you suggestion on where to find it.

I am not going to pander to your cluelessness, except to to say that you're welcome to look at any 10K or 10Q filing made by Apple (if you have the remotest idea as to what they are).

• Reply 54 of 56
    ipenipen Posts: 410member

Looking at the number, comparing 2Q2013  and 2Q2012, ipad shipment dropped 2.4m (-15%) while all others increased.  That's scary.   Hope the new ipad can make up the difference for 2013.

• Reply 55 of 56
    ipenipen Posts: 410member

Quote:

Originally Posted by icoco3 View Post

One tablet (basically) against 100 others.  The odds are fair I am sure.  Wonder how many $70 and below tablets (basically useless devices) are in the other category?

Apple is not after the $70 market and the $70 tablet should not affect the number of ipad that Apple sells.  Yes, the ipad market share will decrease if there are a lot of $70 tablets out there but the number of units ipad sold should remain the same if Apple is still holding on to the intended target market.

• Reply 56 of 56
    frood wrote: »
    Nobody is punishing Apple. If they sell more tablets they are worth more money than if they had sold less. They sold fewer tablets, so they are worth fewer dollars than if they were selling a bunch more. Either way they are still great tablets.

ipen wrote: »
    Apple is not after the $70 market and the $70 tablet should not affect the number of ipad that Apple sells.  Yes, the ipad market share will decrease if there are a lot of $70 tablets out there but the number of units ipad sold should remain the same if Apple is still holding on to the intended target market.

I agree with both of you.

But some people love to shout "Apple is doomed" because Android is "beating" them.