Apple Stores gain new Philips Hue Bloom & LightStrips lighting options

Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2014
Apple's online and retail stores will become the exclusive home of Philips' latest iPhone-connected Hue lights this week: the Bloom portable LED bulb and stick-able LightStrips, both of which do not require a standard light socket.

Hue

Both new additions to the Philips Hue family -- dubbed Friends of Hue -- will be available in Apple Stores starting on Thursday. The products will require the Hue starter kit, also available in Apple Stores, as well as resellers such as Amazon for $199.99.

When paired with the Hue bridge, the new products will offer users more dynamic multi-colored lighting options for their connected home. The existing bulbs and new accessories can be customized and programmed via the official Hue app for iPhone and iPad.

The new LivingColors Bloom is a compact fixture that can be placed on a flat surface such as the floor or a bookshelf. The Bloom then bounces light of any surface to illuminate the room.

Hue

And the new LightStrips from Philips come as a 6.6-foot LED strip that can be cut to size. With an adhesive backing, the LightStrips can be mounted where users see fit.

The products are compatible with the full Hue spectrum of colors already offered on the official bulbs. They also integrate with available geofencing and IFTTT features, allowing for customization such as automatically turning on the lights when a user arrives at home, or providing visual cues for data such as sports scores or e-mail.

While the Hue starter kit and individual $60 bulbs are available through Amazon, the new LivingColors Bloom and LightStrips will reportedly be exclusive to Apple's online and retail stores for this week's launch.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 26
    irelandireland Posts: 17,798member
    Hue is a total rip off and this technology isn't even seamless enough yet.
  • Reply 2 of 26

Meh. The app gets a 1.5 star rating on the App Store.

I'll wait until they come out with a better quality app.

• Reply 3 of 26
    philboogiephilboogie Posts: 7,675member
    Color me blind, Philips ¡
  • Reply 4 of 26
    Been using Hue for home theater lighting and it works very well. Integrates flawlessly with my Harmony remote which is even better. I may give these two a try in other parts of the house.
  • Reply 5 of 26
    evilutionevilution Posts: 1,399member
    For a generation 1 product it isn't bad but the color reproduction is a bit weak, blues are washed out as the LEDs are designed for home lighting so you get an unprecedented control on your whites but the colors are a bit lacking.
  • Reply 6 of 26
    Why would you want to change the color of the light?
  • Reply 7 of 26
    malaxmalax Posts: 1,598member

Talk about a "first world problem."  If the prices were a LOT lower they might be popular with dorm dwellers, I suppose.

• Reply 8 of 26
    zoetmbzoetmb Posts: 2,654member

Quote:

Originally Posted by Robert Mark View Post

Why would you want to change the color of the light?

It's called "mood lighting".  

• Reply 9 of 26
    dickprinterdickprinter Posts: 1,060member

Quote:

Originally Posted by zoetmb View Post

It's called "mood lighting".  

You'll have to excuse some members of the "high tech" society, they lack the experience of the benefits of mood lighting.

For some, the glow of an LED screen emanating from their electronic device.....is considered mood lighting. image

• Reply 10 of 26
    dnd0psdnd0ps Posts: 253member

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dickprinter View Post

You'll have to excuse some members of the "high tech" society, they lack the experience of the benefits of mood lighting.

For some, the glow of an LED screen emanating from their electronic device.....is considered mood lighting. image

AHAHAHAHA.

Who knows? Maybe their right hands will look better under dim red.

• Reply 11 of 26
    gazoobeegazoobee Posts: 3,754member

If only they made these things smaller I would buy one (or three).  Right now they are only suitable for replacing bulbs in ceiling fixtures or giant lamps and even then half the time you can see the ugly thing.  They need to be more like drop in replacements for regular lightbulbs both visually, and wattage-wise.  

• Reply 12 of 26
    boeyc15boeyc15 Posts: 986member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Gazoobee View Post

If only they made these things smaller I would buy one (or three).  Right now they are only suitable for replacing bulbs in ceiling fixtures or giant lamps and even then half the time you can see the ugly thing.  They need to be more like drop in replacements for regular lightbulbs both visually, and wattage-wise.  

They use a standard lamp base.
  • Reply 13 of 26
    boeyc15boeyc15 Posts: 986member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by anantksundaram View Post

Meh. The app gets a 1.5 star rating on the App Store.

I'll wait until they come out with a better quality app.

Yup. for now its a niche device. The odd LSD part etc.

The problem with the controller /software it does not do some basic things the average user may like.. They did do an update recently to the app but I believe it still has issues... IMO.
  • Reply 14 of 26
    The post says 'do not require a standard light socket'. What does this mean? What type of non-standard socket do they need?
  • Reply 15 of 26
    gazoobeegazoobee Posts: 3,754member

Quote:

Originally Posted by boeyc15 View Post

They use a standard lamp base.

Yes, but not a standard bulb.  It's only really suitable for pot lights and directional ceiling fixtures etc. Maybe the odd gigantic lamp as I said. 

Basically, for any light fixture where you can see the bulb or the light is omni-directional instead of just "coming out the end" it's a poor solution. 

• Reply 16 of 26

Who the "F" cares?

• Reply 17 of 26
    chabigchabig Posts: 641member

Quote:

Originally Posted by GregLomow View Post

The post says 'do not require a standard light socket'. What does this mean? What type of non-standard socket do they need?

It plugs into the wall, instead of screwing into a lamp base.

• Reply 18 of 26
    jragostajragosta Posts: 10,473member

For some, the glow of an LED screen emanating from their electronic device.....is considered mood lighting. :lol:

You've have to excuse some members of the "high tech" society. They need custom lighting to get in the mood.
  • Reply 19 of 26
    gordygordy Posts: 1,004member

While slick, I doubt Phillips has added enough to these light strips to account for the $270 upcharge.  These kits go for less than $20 on ebay with a remote included.

• Reply 20 of 26

I love it!

Can't wait to buy some strips to go with my bulbs. :)