Comparison pics show Apple's slight changes in alleged 'iPhone 5S' front panel

Posted:
in iPhone edited January 2014
A new side-by-side comparison of iPhone 5 parts with components allegedly built for Apple's next-generation "iPhone 5S" show minor internal changes, the most significant of which is a longer ribbon cable attached to the front display.

iPhone 5S

The direct comparison of front panels was first published Fanatic Fone, once again suggesting that Apple's unannounced next-generation iPhone will sport largely the same look as the iPhone 5. That's why the rumored device has been dubbed an "iPhone 5S" by media and fans, who expect the handset will sport an essentially identical design to Apple's current flagship smartphone.

Aside from a longer and redesigned ribbon cable on the front panel, the rest of the part looks mostly the same, with a few internal changes in the form of moved screws and other minor tweaks. But on the outside, the part looks identical to the iPhone 5, with the FaceTime camera remaining directly above the handset's earpiece.

iPhone 5S

Screw placement around the "iPhone 5S" home button is also essentially unchanged. Rumors have repeatedly suggested that Apple plans to embed a fingerprint scanner inside the home button of its next iPhone, but so far none of the leaked parts have offered any evidence of significant hardware changes.

iPhone 5S

Apple is expected to hold an event at some point in September to unveil its new iPhone lineup for the fall of 2013 and beyond. In addition to a next-generation flagship "iPhone 5S," Apple is also expected to introduce a new low-cost iPhone with a plastic back and the same 4-inch display as the iPhone 5.

Apple's overseas supply chain partners are said to be in the process of gearing up to begin manufacturing the company's next handsets. It's expected that the "iPhone 5S" will include the usual annual upgrades, such as a faster processor and improved rear facing camera.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 50
    rogifanrogifan Posts: 10,669member
    How in the world is stuff like this considered news?
  • Reply 2 of 50
    1: These pictures comes from FanaticFone (letemsvetemapplem is well known for this kind of practices) : http://www.fanaticfone.com/hd-pics-of-the-new-iphone-5s-digitizer-and-lcd-screen-assembly/

2: This story was already covered in the past by Apple Insider : http://appleinsider.com/articles/13/06/18/high-resolution-images-claim-to-show-iphone-5s-iphone-5-display-assemblies-side-by-side
  • Reply 3 of 50
    nikiloknikilok Posts: 383member
    A low cost iPhone would pose a threat of the biggest kind to the rest of the mobile world.
  • Reply 4 of 50
    neilmneilm Posts: 987member

Quote:

Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

A new side-by-side comparison of iPhone 5 parts with components allegedly built for Apple's next-generation "iPhone 5S" show minor internal changes, the least insignificant of which is a longer ribbon cable attached to the front display.

Fixed that for you.

• Reply 5 of 50
    g-noteg-note Posts: 39member
    My memory fails me. Does Apple typically separate the iPhone and iPad Fall reveals?
  • Reply 6 of 50

Quote:

Originally Posted by NeilM View Post

Fixed that for you.

Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

A new side-by-side comparison of iPhone 5 parts with components allegedly built for Apple's next-generation "iPhone 5S" show minor internal changes, the most insignificant of which is a longer ribbon cable attached to the front display.

Fixed that for you

• Reply 7 of 50

Quote:

Originally Posted by G-Note View Post

My memory fails me. Does Apple typically separate the iPhone and iPad Fall reveals?

typically (first 3 years), yes, by several  months.

Last year... by about 30 minutes.

we can assume that Apple is now strictly on a consumer (sept/oct),  professional(May/June... to align with what appears to be a Aug/Sept OS release) calendar schedule, with  no corporate  (spring) release anymore.  Make sense.  Most corps want a to 'try' before they buy... so trying to align with spring budget releases is fruitless... as it would take 6 months to vet a new piece of hardware given the security/support/functionality concerns of most major corps now.

Or they are on their own 'we release it when it's ripe' schedule.

In any event, one can assume that in the consumer space... there will be major releases before the holiday shopping season.   Given the time lag from last years double release, one can assume the same this year... and with this rumor that the old 30pin connector phones and pads will not be sold anymore.

• Reply 8 of 50
    analogjackanalogjack Posts: 1,073member

Quote:

Originally Posted by RedGeminiPA View Post

Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

A new side-by-side comparison of iPhone 5 parts with components allegedly built for Apple's next-generation "iPhone 5S" show minor internal changes, the most insignificant of which is a longer ribbon cable attached to the front display.

Fixed that for you

A new side-by-side comparison of iPhone 5 parts with components allegedly built for Apple's next-generation "iPhone 5S" show minor internal changes, the least most significant of which is a longer ribbon cable attached to the front display.

How about that?

• Reply 9 of 50
    MarvinMarvin Posts: 15,322moderator
    rogifan wrote: »
    How in the world is stuff like this considered news?

It means the new iPhone has over twice the display ribbon of the old one. Must-have upgrade.

The cable is near the rear camera and has been redesigned by rotating one plug out the way so it could be that they put in a bigger sensor, better optics. It could also mean they just felt like rotating the plug but it all adds to the mystery.

I'm expecting the same general design, faster graphics performance, better camera quality and the fingerprint sensor would be a cool addition for fast unlocking.
  • Reply 10 of 50
    I am totally expecting Apple to just do the normal 5S upgrade this year... but I am hoping that these leaks are for the "iPhone 5C" since the parts are going to be very similar to the iPhone 5 and that Apple has something a little more impressive and secretive up it's sleeve for the next flagship iPhone.

I mean theoretically these part leaks could just be from someone claiming to have a part to a "new" iPhone - since there are going to be two new ones this year it could easily be confusing for these sources.
  • Reply 11 of 50
    tallest skiltallest skil Posts: 43,388member
    g-note wrote: »

Yes, because the latter isn't normally a fall reveal.
    I am totally expecting Apple to just do the normal 5S upgrade this year… but I am hoping that these leaks are for the "iPhone 5C" since the parts are going to be very similar to the iPhone 5 and that Apple has something a little more impressive and secretive up it's sleeve for the next flagship iPhone.

Enough FUD, please. Go away.
  • Reply 12 of 50
    philboogiephilboogie Posts: 7,675member
    Already have a buyer for my 5, and he's ok to wait. So I am too. In which case; they don't even need a compelling feature for the 7th Gen, I just buy it. Maybe a 128GB version, if they release one.
  • Reply 13 of 50

How in the world does what I said count as FUD? I am going to buy the next iPhone for my wife either way. I just think something cool would be cool (and I think the 5S will be cool anyway no matter what Apple puts into it). Anyway nothing that I said equates to "Fear, Uncertainty and Doubt". I don't see what is wrong with theorizing that these part leaks could be mislabeled by the leakers. Anyway I don't appreciate your negativity.

• Reply 14 of 50

I wonder if the longer ribbon is in some way related to the AppleStore now offering on-site screen replacements.  Or maybe even user-serviceable!

• Reply 15 of 50
    dickprinterdickprinter Posts: 1,060member

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

Enough FUD, please. Go away.

How can you call a man's wish FUD? There is nothing wrong with someone looking for a compelling new technology for the new iPhone coming from Apple.

Is this how we keep new members, by ridiculing them and telling them to go away for expressing their thoughts and opinions? image

• Reply 16 of 50
    [quote name="Dickprinter" url="/t/158910/comparison-pics-show-apples-slight-changes-in-alleged-iphone-5s-front-panel#post_2374945"]How can you call a man's wish FUD?[/QUOTE]

'ja even read his post? Please.
  • Reply 17 of 50

Quote:

Originally Posted by nikilok View Post

A low cost iPhone would pose a threat of the biggest kind to the rest of the mobile world.

As well as to the iPhone itself, which is why Apple won't do it unless the feature set is so radically different, where the premium iPhone retains functionality that not only are people willing to pay for, but aren't willing to forgo by saving some money with this purported cheaper iPhone.

• Reply 18 of 50
    dickprinterdickprinter Posts: 1,060member

Quote:

Sure did, and since I have an open mind and have the capacity for empathy, I obviously have better comprehension skills than you do.

How does his comment fall under the FUD category?

• Reply 19 of 50
    kdarlingkdarling Posts: 1,640member

Quote:

Yeah, we did.  It was not that different from wishes posted by others, like Marvin.

Hey, some of these newbies could be somebody's father or mother.

Or they could be something else.  But we won't know until we listen to them for a while.

In other words...

• Reply 20 of 50
    How does his comment fall under the FUD category?
    kdarling wrote: »
    It was not that different from wishes posted by others…

*sigh* You'd think after five years of the same posts you people would learn what they look like.

Big ol' white space in KD's post that I assume is a video, by the way.