Apple seeds fifth beta of iOS 7 to developers with new Control Center options

Posted:
in iPhone edited January 2014
Apple on Tuesday provided its development community with the fifth pre-release beta of iOS 7 for iPhone and iPad, providing the latest bug fixes and improvements for testing, as well as a new setting that allows users to disable access to Control Center from within apps.

iOS 7 beta 5

iOS 7 beta 5 can now be downloaded via Software Update on developers' test devices, or via the iOS Dev Center online portal. As always, Apple advises that the software "should only be deployed on devices dedicated for iOS 7 beta software development."

Beta 5 adds tweaks to the native Settings application in iOS 7, including new colorful icons for individual features such as Airplane Mode, Wi-Fi, Bluetooth and Cellular. A dedicated Control Center settings page also gives users the ability to disable access from within apps, or on the lock screen.

Settings

As noticed by Twitter user Kevin Klinkmuller, iOS 7 beta 5 also adds a new white install screen for users who have a white iPhone, while the screen is black when setting up a black Apple handset.

Bugs do reportedly remain in the fifth beta, as people familiar with the software indicated that password fields are not displayed in landscape mode for In-App Purchases or Game Center. Text entry still works, Apple has advised developers, but what is being typed cannot be seen.

Apple also informed developers that application downloads can become stuck in a "waiting" state in beta 5. Testers can work around this issue by rebooting their device once or twice.

Along with iOS 7, a new Apple TV software beta was also provided to developers on Tuesday.

The release of the software comes just over a week after Apple made iOS 7 beta 4 available. That fourth beta was expected to debut a week earlier, but is believed to have been delayed by a prolonged outage of the Dev Center website after it was breached by a hacker.

Prior to that delay, new builds of iOS 7 betas arrived every two weeks, on Mondays.

It's expected that iOS 7 will release to the public in September, when Apple is rumored to launch both a next-generation "iPhone 5S," as well as a new low-cost iPhone with a plastic back. Apple has simply said that the software will debut this fall.

For more on the extensive changes in iOS 7, including a new fresh look and numerous features, see AppleInsider's series entitled Inside iOS 7.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 81
    ecsecs Posts: 307member
    Man, I wish there was a website about _Mac_ rumors and _Mac_ news. With the time it's getting harder and harder to read stuff about the Mac. And the culprit isn't Apple, because Apple is working hard finishing the new Mac Pro and Mavericks, and other Haswell updates. The culprit is the iToy fanbase. Tough times for Mac users.
  • Reply 2 of 81
    red oakred oak Posts: 1,087member
    Can you imagine Samsung developing and releasing their own OS like this?

Me neither
  • Reply 3 of 81
    tallest skiltallest skil Posts: 43,388member
    ecs wrote: »
    Man, I wish there was a website about _Mac_ rumors and _Mac_ news. With the time it's getting harder and harder to read stuff about the Mac. And the culprit isn't Apple, because Apple is working hard finishing the new Mac Pro and Mavericks, and other Haswell updates. The culprit is the iToy fanbase. Tough times for Mac users.

Or just don't pay attention to those stories.

How is this difficult? :rolleyes:
  • Reply 4 of 81
    jupiteronejupiterone Posts: 1,564member

You're blaming the "iToy fanbase" for there not being any rumors about the Mac? What?? :???::err:
  • Reply 5 of 81
    Safari seems snappier.
  • Reply 6 of 81
    Safari does NOT seem faster than in iOS 6 :'-(
  • Reply 7 of 81
    philboogiephilboogie Posts: 7,675member

Similar to some posters, like me, we can all ignore some articles as well. Not too difficult, no.
  • Reply 8 of 81
    rogifanrogifan Posts: 10,669member
    New settings icons. Screenshot via 9to5Mac

screen-shot-2013-08-06-at-10-28-37-am.png
  • Reply 9 of 81
    macapfelmacapfel Posts: 575member

I think, what he means is: there are virtually no more stories about the Mac. So ignoring iDevice/OS stories would mean, ignoring AI almost entirely – and I agree. It would be nice to have more (in depth) stories about the Mac and Mavericks.
  • Reply 10 of 81

Try http://www.macsurfer.com  

These guys have a Mac based tip almost every day:  http://www.macworld.com

This one is almost too nerdy:  http://www.macintouch.com

• Reply 11 of 81
    macapfelmacapfel Posts: 575member
    rogifan wrote: »

Wow! That is quite some change!
  • Reply 12 of 81
    mdriftmeyermdriftmeyer Posts: 7,503member

Quote:

Originally Posted by logic368 View Post

debug mode testing tends to do that.

• Reply 13 of 81
    allenbfallenbf Posts: 993member
    rogifan wrote: »

screen-shot-2013-08-06-at-10-28-37-am.png

I hated iOS 7 when it was unveiled...but this...this looks great!
  • Reply 14 of 81
    rogifanrogifan Posts: 10,669member
    macapfel wrote: »
    I like this change. There is a lot of white in iOS 7 so adding a bit of color is a good thing IMO. I think iOS 7 will work really well with the rumored new colored iPhones.
  • Reply 15 of 81

Quote:

Originally Posted by logic368 View Post

I ran all the 4 major browser benchmarks in iOS 7 Beta 3 and Safari was faster in iOS 7 than in iOS 6. Here are the numbers I got.

Notes: Sunspider and Kraken lower is better, Browsermark and Octane higher is better.

Sunspider 1.0: 735ms (was around 830ms), GS4 is 920ms (all GS4 numbers from Anandtech, fastest GS4 version picked)

Browsermark 2.0: 2,740 (was around 2,640), GS4 is 2,771.

Mozilla Kraken: 14,000 (was around 20,000), GS4 is 9,800.

Google Octane: 2,800 (was around 1,750), GS4 is 2999.

So the iPhone 5 with iOS 7 Beta 3 posts some very impressive results and significant gains over iOS 6 (especially in Kraken and Octane).

The GS4 is kind of embarrasing considering it has double the cores and a higher clock speed than the iPhone 5. This is what you get when you control hardware/software.

• Reply 16 of 81
    mstonemstone Posts: 11,510member

Quote:

Originally Posted by MacApfel View Post

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rogifan View Post

I don't think they had much of a choice because all the third party icons that show up in settings are going to have rounded rectangles so in order for them to match Apple needed to create theirs with a similar design. Otherwise, it would appear inconsistent. Personally, I like the monotone color scheme of the previous build, but I can see why they changed it back to the filled icons.

• Reply 17 of 81
    pazuzupazuzu Posts: 1,728member

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rogifan View Post

I like this change. There is a lot of white in iOS 7 so adding a bit of color is a good thing IMO. I think iOS 7 will work really well with the rumored new colored iPhones.

Did you notice that during the keynote iOS7 never was a black iPhone shown? Same as with Apple's website showcasing iOS7's homepage.

It mustn't look very good on a black phone otherwise why wouldn't it have been shown? 

I agree that it will look awesome with the much rumoured candied iPhones.

• Reply 18 of 81
    macbook promacbook pro Posts: 1,605member
    jupiterone wrote: »
    You're blaming the "iToy fanbase" for there not being any rumors about the Mac? What?? :???::err:

Does anyone know, what is an iToy?
  • Reply 19 of 81
    gazoobeegazoobee Posts: 3,754member

Quote:

Originally Posted by ecs View Post

I dunno.  

I heard that most people who only focus on _Mac_ news and who aren't interested in the new modern platform are a bunch of assholes who use insulting terms like "iToy" to describe the objects of their constant scorn.  

• Reply 20 of 81
    SpamSandwichSpamSandwich Posts: 33,407member

"Kevin Klinkmuller's" Apple dev account is going to be canceled. He clearly violated Apple's rules.