Ex-Apple CEO Scully's startup gets Shine wearable activity tracker into Apple Stores

Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2014
A startup company co-founded by former Apple CEO John Sculley has formed a partnership with his former company, as Apple's stores will now carry Misfit's Shine wearable activity measuring device.

Founded on the day Steve Jobs died, Misfit bills itself as a tribute to both the Apple co-founder and the "Think Different" ads his company produced. The company's first product, the Shine wearable computing device, was originally funded with the help of an Indiegogo campaign that raised more than $845,000.

The quarter-sized Shine is billed as "the world's most elegant physical activity tracker." The $100 device includes a three-axis accelerometer, and it fits into a number of specialized clasps, such as a sport band, a necklace, or a leather band that sits the device on the wrist like a watch. It pairs with an iPhone app, which tracks the activity the device registers and allows users to see their own progress and set goals.

Shine also tells time, tracks sleep, and performs other actions. The device's minimalist frame is crafted from aerospace-grade aluminum, with 1,560 laser-drilled holes aimed at making the device waterproof but still allowing light to get through. According to Misfit's page, the CR2032 battery in the device will get four months on a single charge.

Apple stores in the United States, Canada, Japan, and Hong Kong will now carry the device. Stores in Europe and Australia will be carrying the device beginning in September.

Misfit co-founder John Sculley is widely regarded as the driving force behind Steve Jobs' removal from Apple decades ago. Sculley says he never fired Jobs, but he has admitted that it was a big mistake that he was ever brought on to helm the tech giant. Under Sculley, Apple's sales grew from $800 million to $8 billion, but he also saw criticism for forcing out Jobs, as well as the transition of the Mac to the PowerPC platform.

Shine's appearance in the Apple store will mark yet another step in what would appear to be an inexorable move among manufacturers toward wearable computing. Industry observers believe manufacturers will ship five million smart watches in the year 2014, up considerably from the 500,000 expected to ship this year.

Those units will likely include offerings from Sony, Misfit, and fellow startup Pebble. Also crowding the field, though, will likely be Apple, which has been making stepstoward pushing out an iOS-compatible watch device. Apple will likely find itself competing against Google, Microsoft, LG, Samsung, and others as the wearable technology arena heats up.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 29
    philboogiephilboogie Posts: 7,675member
    From reading all the varying reports on Steve's ousting, I also don't think Scully fired him. Even though this is off topic, I really would like your views on this, if that's allowed in this thread.
  • Reply 2 of 29
    c4rlobc4rlob Posts: 277member
    I'm guessing we can safely bet this would NEVER have happened with Steve Jobs still in control of Apple.
  • Reply 3 of 29
    c4rlob wrote: »
    I'm guessing we can safely bet this would NEVER have happened with Steve Jobs still in control of Apple.

Huh? If he was John wouldn't have been. What's your point?
  • Reply 4 of 29

Quote:

Originally Posted by PhilBoogie View Post

I think he means that Steve would have never allowed the Shine wearable activity tracker to be sold at Apple Stores.

• Reply 5 of 29

It's free with 150 Pepsi bottle caps! ")

• Reply 6 of 29

Quote:

Originally Posted by PhilBoogie View Post

From reading all the varying reports on Steve's ousting, I also don't think Scully fired him. Even though this is off topic, I really would like your views on this, if that's allowed in this thread.

Start at 4:40 mark. Sculley presented a strategy to save the company but the plan did not include Steve Jobs.

• Reply 7 of 29
    SpamSandwichSpamSandwich Posts: 33,407member

Quote:

Originally Posted by docwallaby View Post

I think he means that Steve would have never allowed the Shine wearable activity tracker to be sold at Apple Stores.

Probably, and most likely only because of Scully.

• Reply 8 of 29

Quote:

Originally Posted by christopher126 View Post

It's free with 150 Pepsi bottle caps! ")

"Do you want to sell activity trackers for the rest of your life, or do you want to come with me and change the world?"

• Reply 9 of 29

Quote:

Originally Posted by SpamSandwich View Post

"Do you want to sell activity trackers for the rest of your life, or do you want to come with me and change the world?"

Funny! :)

• Reply 10 of 29
    docwallaby wrote: »
    philboogie wrote: »

Ah, ok, gotcha
    makingdots wrote: »
    Start at 4:40 mark. Sculley presented a strategy to save the company but the plan did not include Steve Jobs.

Thanks for the link, I've seen it, and it still doesn't give me a clear 'view' if Steve was fired. He was ousted, that's a given. Maybe it's too difficult to tell the difference: I once was told that 'my services were no longer needed'. What to make of that? I had a chat with HR, they offered me a years' salary, I declined, but I never was told that I was fired, let go.

So Steve simply ran away after Scully told him he was not the CEO anymore? Ok, that sounds like 'fire'.
  • Reply 11 of 29
    snovasnova Posts: 1,281member

as Steve explained it.. Scully made Steve the scapegoat for Apple downturn and threw him under the bus to save his own skin.

Technically you are right however.. No one actually ever fired Steve from Apple.  They threw him into an empty office building with no team members and no power to do anything productive for the sole purpose to get him out of the way and humiliate him until Steve quit.

• Reply 12 of 29
    jragostajragosta Posts: 10,473member
    philboogie wrote: »
    Thanks for the link, I've seen it, and it still doesn't give me a clear 'view' if Steve was fired. He was ousted, that's a given. Maybe it's too difficult to tell the difference: I once was told that 'my services were no longer needed'. What to make of that? I had a chat with HR, they offered me a years' salary, I declined, but I never was told that I was fired, let go.

So Steve simply ran away after Scully told him he was not the CEO anymore? Ok, that sounds like 'fire'.

There's no difference between "your services are not required" and "you're fired" when you're talking about the CEO level. Pretending that there's a difference is just splitting hairs.
  • Reply 13 of 29
    jwyattjwyatt Posts: 93member

Steve never spoke to Sculley again. There is no way in Hell Job's would have allowed this product sold in his stores. Just visited the "Shine" (sounds like a Microsoft naming vernacular) website. It's full of fashion models wearing the device in outrageous situations. Maybe it's just me but it turns me off. Sculley's trying awfully hard to be more like Steve. Why bother with this.

• Reply 14 of 29
    Damn flavored water...
  • Reply 15 of 29

I used to work at one of the many startups Sculley drove into the ground. If you think Steve had a reality distortion field... This man is a (very, very rich) dimwit.

• Reply 16 of 29

Quote:

Originally Posted by LordJohnWhorfin View Post

I used to work at one of the many startups Sculley drove into the ground. If you think Steve had a reality distortion field... This man is a (very, very rich) dimwit.

I believe I've dealt with his type before. Few people in the history of business have demonstrated Steve Jobs long-term focus and intensity before. Scully was and always shall be a "marketing guy".

• Reply 17 of 29
    treblatrebla Posts: 3member
    Who's going to buy this thing? Most of us have our iPhone with us throughout the day (except maybe surfing) - and I already have a $2 app that tracks activity, pace, calories burned, and can send a Google map of where I am to my wife. I do not see the niche for this product.
  • Reply 18 of 29
    gtrgtr Posts: 3,231member

POST OF THE YEAR.
  • Reply 19 of 29
    gtrgtr Posts: 3,231member
    This could be amusing if Apple has agreed to sell his activity trackers just as they're about to release a watch that has this function plus many more.

Steve reaches out from beyond the grave and gives Scully the FU one last time by publicly humiliating and bankrupting him.

;)
  • Reply 20 of 29

Quote:

Originally Posted by GTR View Post

This could be amusing if Apple has agreed to sell his activity trackers just as they're about to release a watch that has this function plus many more.

Steve reaches out from beyond the grave and gives Scully the FU one last time as he is publicly humiliated and financially bankrupted...

You have an excellent point. :D