Apple seeds fifth beta of iOS 7 to developers with new Control Center options

Comments

• Reply 41 of 81

Quote:

Originally Posted by DoctorGonzo View Post

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dick Applebaum View Post

There is no dialog when you switch in or out of Airplane Mode! I don't use Airplane Mode, so I am not aware of any normal operations which might display a dialog.

In Airplane Mode, if you use an app that tries to access the internet, a modal dialog pops-up to remind you that you're in Airplane Mode. 

Lock the screen, then switch to those the apps again? You get the dialog again. Every single time. 

It's insufferable. Yes, I know I'm in Airplane Mode

I agree.

• Reply 42 of 81
    asdasdasdasd Posts: 5,686member
    Evidently you are blissfully unaware of the real-world restrictions placed on developers.

I am blissfully aware that no website has been taken down, and to my knowledge no cease and desist letter has been sent, nor has any developer been banned for talking about iOS 7.

My twitter feed which is about 25% devs - about 150, or so - is talking about the beta. Yes, the rules are there. They are not really enforced. Feel free to point to a news story which proves me wrong.
  • Reply 43 of 81
    In Airplane Mode, if you use an app that tries to access the internet, a modal dialog pops-up to remind you that you're in Airplane Mode. 

Lock the screen, then switch to those the apps again? You get the dialog again. Every single time. 

It's insufferable. Yes, I know I'm in Airplane Mode

Someday you might forget. Nothing wrong with this dialog. What was crap was the dialog bomb which happened when every single mail account you signed up to alerted you that it couldn't get mail, and there may be an internet connection issue. Every single one.

Thats fixed.
  • Reply 44 of 81
    antkm1antkm1 Posts: 1,441member

Quote:

Originally Posted by MacApfel View Post

I think, what he means is: there are virtually no more stories about the Mac. So ignoring iDevice/OS stories would mean, ignoring AI almost entirely – and I agree. It would be nice to have more (in depth) stories about the Mac and Mavericks.

I agree with that too.  I guess we'll all have to wait for Siracusa's full review when it comes out, presumably within day's of the official release.  I'm actually more excited about Mavericks than iOS 7.

• Reply 45 of 81
    hittrj01hittrj01 Posts: 753member

Quote:

Originally Posted by pazuzu View Post

Did you notice that during the keynote iOS7 never was a black iPhone shown? Same as with Apple's website showcasing iOS7's homepage.

It mustn't look very good on a black phone otherwise why wouldn't it have been shown? 

I agree that it will look awesome with the much rumoured candied iPhones.

I disagree. I actually think in the screenshots, since there is a lot of white used in the new OS, it looks a bit TOO white with the white iPhone. iOS 7 on my black one looks fantastic, very compelling contrast between the deep black of the phone and the bright white and colors of the OS.

• Reply 46 of 81

Quote:

Originally Posted by asdasd View Post

Someday you might forget. Nothing wrong with this dialog. What was crap was the dialog bomb which happened when every single mail account you signed up to alerted you that it couldn't get mail, and there may be an internet connection issue. Every single one.

Thats fixed.

I doubt I'd forget with an icon of a plane replacing my signal strength bar. 

The least they could do would be to add an option to turn it off. 

• Reply 47 of 81
    lantznlantzn Posts: 240member

In my experience it came from Apple haters and started prior to the iPod when they called a Mac a "toy".  Then came the iDevices and they tagged on an "i" for those.

• Reply 48 of 81
    I just want to know if that ridiculously annoying "YOU'RE IN AIRPLANE MODE!!!!" modal pop-up is finally gone. 

Seriously, it's the worst.

There is no dialog when you switch in or out of Airplane Mode! I don't use Airplane Mode, so I am not aware of any normal operations which might display a dialog.

asdasd wrote: »

There is a dialog when the user tries to do Internet stuff while in airplane mode. Still there.

I tried Airplane Mode. then Safari Internet access -- got a Dialog telling me I was in Airplane mode, but I could turn on WiFi if I wanted access.

Turned on WiFi... no more popup...

Just as a matter of curiosity, what do you people expect iOS to do -- ignore your request, do nothing and not tell you why?

Or, it could just pop up a dialog which says: "Hey, Stupid you turned on Airplane Mode -- and that means you can't do that."

Edit: Sorry if it appears that my knickers are in a twist. Evil relatives keep trying to give obsolete WinTel laptops to my grandkids -- and they, of course want me to make them work like Macs and have access to WiFi, Internet, AirPlay, Home Theater, etc. Whenever I have to do this, I try -- then get frustrated... "Waltz Me Around Again, Willie" followed by "Roll Me Over In The Clover, Roll Me Over over, Lay Me Down, And Do It Again"... I just got through one of those sessions and I told the grandkids to refuse any WinTel gifts as they will not be given access to any of the household services.
  • Reply 49 of 81
    macxpressmacxpress Posts: 5,808member
    I hope they fix the battery life issues with the iPhone 4S. Running it on mine kills the battery life. I can only sometimes get a full day out of the battery vs always all day with iOS 6.
  • Reply 50 of 81
    macxpressmacxpress Posts: 5,808member

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

Or just don't pay attention to those stories.

How is this difficult? image

We could just ignore your posts too since they usually don't have anything worth reading, but we don't for some reason....

• Reply 51 of 81

Well as Dick A just said. It can't do nothing. It's a pretty bad UI experience to not work or update and not explain why.
  • Reply 52 of 81
    macxpress wrote: »
    I hope they fix the battery life issues with the iPhone 4S. Running it on mine kills the battery life. I can only sometimes get a full day out of the battery vs always all day with iOS 6.

Problem seems to be resolved on the 2 iP4S we have!
  • Reply 53 of 81
    asdasd wrote: »

Well as Dick A just said. It can't do nothing. It's a pretty bad UI experience to not work or update and not explain why.

Maybe you could just shake your wrist -- and take a picture ;)
  • Reply 54 of 81

I'm surprised! Where are all the trolls to tell me my benchmark numbers for the iPhone 5 vs the GS4 are wrong?

Or perhaps they went our and did some tests themselves (on their friends iPhones) and found out the truth - that the GS4 with its mosnter over-clocked quad core processor isn't really any faster than an iPhone 5 in day-to-day applications.

• Reply 55 of 81
    tbelltbell Posts: 3,146member

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rogifan View Post

New settings icons. Screenshot via 9to5Mac

screen-shot-2013-08-06-at-10-28-37-am.png

The old ones were better. Love it or leave it, the minimalistic design is consistent. The one color worked together. Adding meaningless color that doesn't work together in a color scale is not as visually pleasing.  

• Reply 56 of 81
    MacProMacPro Posts: 19,727member
    ecs wrote: »
    Man, I wish there was a website about _Mac_ rumors and _Mac_ news. With the time it's getting harder and harder to read stuff about the Mac. And the culprit isn't Apple, because Apple is working hard finishing the new Mac Pro and Mavericks, and other Haswell updates. The culprit is the iToy fanbase. Tough times for Mac users.

You think iOS information isn't important to many OS X users?
  • Reply 57 of 81
    ecs wrote: »
    Man, I wish there was a website about _Mac_ rumors and _Mac_ news. With the time it's getting harder and harder to read stuff about the Mac. And the culprit isn't Apple, because Apple is working hard finishing the new Mac Pro and Mavericks, and other Haswell updates. The culprit is the iToy fanbase. Tough times for Mac users.

You think iOS information isn't important to many OS X users?

Nah... Unless you use AirDrop, AirPlay, Maps, Notifications, Calendars... And other stuff like that!
  • Reply 58 of 81
    hentaiboyhentaiboy Posts: 1,252member

I lost my volume indicator with beta 4. Anyone else? Will try beta 5 tonight.

• Reply 59 of 81
    heinzelheinzel Posts: 120member

Quote:

Originally Posted by TBell

The old ones were better. Love it or leave it, the minimalistic design is consistent. The one color worked together. Adding meaningless color that doesn't work together in a color scale is not as visually pleasing.  

I disagree. Using the color to subdivide groups in to subgroups of different functionality is not meaningless, and ties together similar tasks. This makes navigating the options a lot quicker - at least for me. The color scale is a different matter, hopefully they'll consult some Photoshop palettes before they push out the GM.

• Reply 60 of 81
    rogifanrogifan Posts: 10,669member
    tbell wrote: »

How are colored round recs not minimalistic? Its not like App added a bunch of gradients, textures, gloss etc. to them. I personally like the colors. iOS 7 is very white so adding splashes of color is a good thing.

I guess I'm not understanding how white icons on a plain colored background is not minimalistic. Isn't that similar to Windows 8 UI, which most people refer to as a flat UI?