Comparison pics show Apple's slight changes in alleged 'iPhone 5S' front panel

13»

Comments

• Reply 41 of 50
    bregaladbregalad Posts: 816member

The new 5S will look like a premium phone and not just because of its aluminum case.

I expect the plastic 5C to contain:

The A5 processor from the 4S and iPod touch

A new, inexpensive camera component probably shared with the 2013 iPod touch

The 4" display from the 5 and iPod touch

It will be two generations behind on the CPU/GPU and have a lower end camera. Even so it will sell extremely well, just as the 4 and 4S have this past year. Not everyone needs the latest and greatest phone and many of those who think they do also demand something more than a 4" 640x1136 display.

• Reply 42 of 50
    jazzgurujazzguru Posts: 6,435member

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

No, it won't. If it does, people are complete idiots. Why would year old hardware outsell new hardware?

For the same reason people buy cheaper Android phones instead of iPhones: price.

• Reply 43 of 50
    dickprinterdickprinter Posts: 1,060member

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

No, it won't. If it does, people are complete idiots. Why would year old hardware outsell new hardware?

Price. Same reason why strong 4S sales surprised Tim Cook last quarter. If this "5C" device is being developed for the low(er) end market, then it may outsell the 5S in units, but not gross sales. Obviously there is strong demand for lower-cost iPhones....which seems to transcend the age of the hardware.

Maybe the "complete idiots" can only afford a low(er) end iPhone. That is, if these rumors of a low(er) end iPhone are true...

• Reply 44 of 50
    tallest skiltallest skil Posts: 43,388member
    jazzguru wrote: »
    For the same reason people buy cheaper Android phones instead of iPhones: price.

But we've never seen this happen with iPhones themselves. Without being haughty about the brand, you have to hold the iPhone to a different standard. People buy iPhones like nothing else.
  • Reply 45 of 50
    jamesvjamesv Posts: 33member
    5C will have an A6, it is an iteration of the iphone5 in a plastic case. It will have the same internals hence the "5" in 5C.....the 5S will not be that much better. 2014 will be the year of the premium iphone. I believe most consumers will go for the new look 5C over the old look 5S especially considering all the 5S will have is a better camera and possible fingerprint sensor. They'll both be snappy phones. The average consumer which is most will choose the 5C guarantee it!
  • Reply 46 of 50
    Another key in all of this is the fact that the 5C will be running on the all new ios7, which will add some new features to the phone as well. The iphone6 or whatever it's gonna be called in 2014 will be the time to buy the premium phone again. 5S is just the stop gap to the 2014 iphone.
  • Reply 47 of 50
    gwmacgwmac Posts: 1,807member

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jamesv View Post

Another key in all of this is the fact that the 5C will be running on the all new ios7, which will add some new features to the phone as well. The iphone6 or whatever it's gonna be called in 2014 will be the time to buy the premium phone again. 5S is just the stop gap to the 2014 iphone.

Unfortunately I think you are right. With Samsung stumbling with the S4 this would have been a great year to really shake things up and offer both an iPhone 5C along with a larger screened iPhone. The iPhone 5C will likely sell in larger volume than a mild refresh of the iPhone 5. Next year is probably when the iPhone I have been waiting for will get released. 

I wonder if Apple will continue to make the standard iPhone in 4" if they release a larger one next year. I am not sure the market is large enough for two 4" iPhone models along with a 5" one as well. 

• Reply 48 of 50
    That's a good question gwmac, I believe what they'll probably do is reduce the bezel in the 2014 iphone much like they are doing with ipad5, but with the screen going to 4.5-4.8 with IGZO technology. If I had to guess I'd say the C model would retain the 4" panel for 2014. The iphone is an iconic device and I firmly believe they'll never really radically change the look of it in terms of chassis size besides thinner if possible. People like the iphone for what it is now & I just cant see it changing a whole lot in the future other than using better, stronger & lighter materials. In 2014 I'd say look for a less bezelled iphone6 to make way for a 4.5-4.8" IGZO screen in the same size chassis.
  • Reply 49 of 50
    dunksdunks Posts: 1,254member

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rogifan View Post

How in the world is stuff like this considered news?

The connectors' alignments on the ribbon corroborate evidence from a prior leak about the internal redesign, including changes to the logic board.

• Reply 50 of 50
    dickprinterdickprinter Posts: 1,060member

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dunks View Post

The connectors' alignments on the ribbon corroborate evidence from a prior leak about the internal redesign, including changes to the logic board.

Ladies and gentlemen....Spock! image