Google's Brin funds $332K lab-grown beef hamburger, looks to make meat a sustainable resource

123457»

Comments

• Reply 121 of 130
    tribalogicaltribalogical Posts: 1,182member

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sporlo View Post

They're actually called McIntosh applies ;)

Correct. A Macintosh (sp variant of Mackintosh) is actually a long, waterproof coat. A raincoat basically.

But the riff on the apple name is a good one nonetheless :))

• Reply 122 of 130
    tribalogicaltribalogical Posts: 1,182member

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hodar View Post

Umm, and the meat we are eating today is not sustainable exactly WHY?

Has anyone besides me ever been in a real airplane? You know, you go to the airport, you go through security, you sit in a REAL AIRPLANE with a REAL PILOT and you go down the runway really, really fast and you fly?

And has anyone ever looked out that little window? Tell me, did you see cityscapes from horizon to horizon? No? Golly, wonder what could be done with all that ground beneath you? Maybe some of that land could be "farmed"? Perhaps some of that land could raise "cattle", "pigs" and "chickens"? You know, the stuff from what we actually get real "meat". Here's a hint - "real meat" tastes exactly like "real meat". Just like mankind has been eating for millennia.

There is definitely an issue developing around that. It's called "too much of a good thing". You should read a little on the environmental impact that "too much livestock" is having on our environment. We crossed the threshold quite awhile ago. The effects are measurable now. The numbers and the effects are not pretty.

Most people I know who've educated themselves on the topic now advocate for a significant reduction in livestock. And a shift to "grass feeding" beef, and others, from "grain feeding", which also drains resources without really providing a lot of benefit. 

• Reply 123 of 130
    hmmhmm Posts: 3,405member

Quote:

Originally Posted by Marvin View Post

They aren't as damaging to the environment:

Over-fishing is a huge problem, so any method that would yield a more sustainable supply of higher demand fish would be great. That is arguably a problem with fish such as sea bass and halibut. Of course there's also the issue of mercury levels.

Quote:

Originally Posted by kleinbc View Post

If we want sustainable beef, we could rethink our farming practices instead of figuring out another way to create another food-like substance that will likely give us more disease. Watch this TED talk by Allan Savory. We could really increase our beef production, and make it better for us and our environment: http://www.savoryinstitute.com/2013/03/current/ted2013-standing-ovation-for-allan-savory/

I think pursuing this isn't necessarily a bad thing... for instance, if we are sending people to Mars, they will have to eat something, and I'm guessing it's not easy to ship a cow with them.

Typical methods of cattle farming are pretty horrible. The same can be said for dairy cattle, which carry a high rate of mastitis. I find it really difficult to give up beef though.

• Reply 124 of 130
    I see they finally banned Bob. Good move. He was asking for it.
  • Reply 125 of 130
    weejockweejock Posts: 32member
    Do you REALLY believe that this multi-billionaire, standing there ogling you with his omnipresent Google Glass, is funding the development of "synthetic hamburger meat" to "help humanity?"

Why not? Do you REALLY believe that his every action must surely be motivated by greed or some sinister personal agenda? He's a real person, with genuine thoughts, emotions insecurities and interests; plus, he's got billions of dollars to chuck at whatever he feels like in a world where the vast majority have much less than he does. Why on Earth wouldn't he try and help humanity a little?
  • Reply 126 of 130
    tallest skiltallest skil Posts: 43,388member
    weejock wrote: »
    Why on Earth wouldn't he try and help humanity a little?

Because he doesn't help them a lot. If he does the opposite for the big things, why would we trust the small?
  • Reply 127 of 130
    Who would you prefer to fund research like this? The money has to come from somewhere, and the chances are that anybody in a position to invest in such research will have obtained their vast stashes of cash through means that would upset you in some way.

This is the same argument that people wheel out when talking about the work done by the Bill & Melinda Gates Foundation. Similarly when Bob Geldof, Chris Martin or other musicians and celebrities work to raise money or awareness for charities. People are not perfect. Rich, influential people who spend a lot of time in the public eye have every aspect of their personal and professional lives carefully documented, so of course they'll do something to piss people off at some point. That doesn't change the fact that they can make a positive difference.
  • Reply 128 of 130
    drblankdrblank Posts: 3,385member

Quote:

Originally Posted by weejock View Post

Who would you prefer to fund research like this? The money has to come from somewhere, and the chances are that anybody in a position to invest in such research will have obtained their vast stashes of cash through means that would upset you in some way.

This is the same argument that people wheel out when talking about the work done by the Bill & Melinda Gates Foundation. Similarly when Bob Geldof, Chris Martin or other musicians and celebrities work to raise money or awareness for charities. People are not perfect. Rich, influential people who spend a lot of time in the public eye have every aspect of their personal and professional lives carefully documented, so of course they'll do something to piss people off at some point. That doesn't change the fact that they can make a positive difference.

For me?  I'm just having fun poking at the weirdness of this.

If people can't take a joke, then I don't know what to say.....

• Reply 129 of 130
    drblank wrote: »
    For me?  I'm just having fun poking at the weirdness of this.

If people can't take a joke, then I don't know what to say.....

Hey, no worries, my comment wasn't directed at you but more at those who would automatically cry 'EVIL' simply because of the association with Brin/google. Not everything's a conspiracy or part of a sinister agenda.
  • Reply 130 of 130

Superb! Generally I never read whole articles but the way you wrote this information is simply amazing and this kept my interest in reading and I enjoyed it. Belstaff Jackets Belstaff Outlet Belstaff Mens Jackets Belstaff Motorcycle