Apple seeds fifth beta of iOS 7 to developers with new Control Center options

Comments

• Reply 61 of 81
    MacProMacPro Posts: 19,728member
    Nah... Unless you use AirDrop, AirPlay, Maps, Notifications, Calendars... And other stuff like that!

Just one example, of many I am sure, would be Logic Pro X on Mac and Logic Pro Remote on iPad. They are a pretty powerful and professional combination. The tight integration of these two is important to beta test in iOS 7 and Mavericks.
  • Reply 62 of 81
    Nah... Unless you use AirDrop, AirPlay, Maps, Notifications, Calendars... And other stuff like that!

Just one example, of many I am sure, would be Logic Pro X on Mac and Logic Pro Remote on iPad. They are a pretty powerful and professional combination. The tight integration of these two is important to beta test in iOS 7 and Mavericks.

Exactly... Or FCPX with a companion app running on a 17" iPad connected to the computer with USB 3.1 via Lightening... Time to get your hands dirty!
  • Reply 63 of 81
    philboogiephilboogie Posts: 7,675member
    asdasd wrote: »
    There is no dialog when you switch in or out of Airplane Mode! I don't use Airplane Mode, so I am not aware of any normal operations which might display a dialog.

There is a dialog when the user tries to do Internet stuff while in airplane mode. Still there.

Ah, that dialogue. Yeah, I don't get that as I turn on WiFi after I put it in Airplane Mode, in order to prevent cellular usage. I only turn it on when I want internet access on my iPad while out of any WiFi range.
  • Reply 64 of 81
    hentaiboy wrote: »
    I lost my volume indicator with beta 4. Anyone else? Will try beta 5 tonight.

Ooh, that would be nice if they god rid of that excruciating indicator! Nothing wrong with my hearing; I don't need visual feedback indicating i changed the volume. Really, what are these manufacturers thinking? Most TV's have this as well, very annoying, and no way to turn it off. Even on OSX, urgh.
  • Reply 65 of 81
    Sorry if it appears that my knickers are in a twist. Evil relatives keep trying to give obsolete WinTel laptops to my grandkids -- and they, of course want me to make them work like Macs and have access to WiFi, Internet, AirPlay, Home Theater, etc. Whenever I have to do this, I try -- then get frustrated... "Waltz Me Around Again, Willie" followed by "Roll Me Over In The Clover, Roll Me Over over, Lay Me Down, And Do It Again"... I just got through one of those sessions and I told the grandkids to refuse any WinTel gifts as they will not be given access to any of the household services.

Annoying, WinTel machines, aren't they?

Thanks for the song!
    [VIDEO]
  • Reply 66 of 81
    MacProMacPro Posts: 19,728member
    Exactly... Or FCPX with a companion app running on a 17" iPad connected to the computer with USB 3.1 via Lightening... Time to get your hands dirty!

What's FCP X? I am too busy playing with Logic Pro X :D
  • Reply 67 of 81
    focherfocher Posts: 687member

Quote:

Originally Posted by Red Oak View Post

Can you imagine Samsung developing and releasing their own OS like this?

Me neither

I can, and it's undoubtedly going to happen at some point. Samsung is either going to fork Android and go the Amazon Kindle Fire route with their own ecosystem or make a go of Tizen as their primary platform. It's not a matter of if that will happen, it's when. Right now, it makes little sense that Samsung is feeding customers to Google's services and with their overall marketshare Samsung is going to want to take control of their own destiny.

• Reply 68 of 81
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ecs View Post

Man, I wish there was a website about _Mac_ rumors and _Mac_ news. With the time it's getting harder and harder to read stuff about the Mac. And the culprit isn't Apple, because Apple is working hard finishing the new Mac Pro and Mavericks, and other Haswell updates. The culprit is the iToy fanbase. Tough times for Mac users.

Wait, when did the URL turn into macinsider.com... I thought this was appleinsider.com... hmmm.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by MessagePad2100 View Post

Try http://www.macsurfer.com  

These guys have a Mac based tip almost every day:  http://www.macworld.com

This one is almost too nerdy:  http://www.macintouch.com

What he said...
  • Reply 69 of 81
    darkvaderdarkvader Posts: 1,146member
    allenbf wrote: »
    I hated iOS 7 when it was unveiled...but this...this looks great!

No, it doesn't look great. It's somewhat better, but the icons still are completely flat, they lack any kind of depth. Everything that's happened in the last 20 years to improve the look of user interfaces has been thrown out the window, and for no good reason.
  • Reply 70 of 81
    I've been using iOS 7 on my iPhone 4 since beta 1, it was terrible at the start with the phone being extremely slow and it turning off randomly 5-6 times per day. Since beta 4 it's been much better, just want Apple to optimise it more, get the transitions working faster and smoother and make the control center be in colour instead of grey. If they can't make the effects quicker and smoother than they should tone them down.
  • Reply 71 of 81
    pazuzupazuzu Posts: 1,728member

Quote:

Originally Posted by anantksundaram View Post

Yeah, sure.

Apple has been working on, and will release an iOS that "mustn't look very good" on their flagship device. /s

It just doesn't look as good as it does on the  iPhone of Jony Ive's choice which apparently is the white one. Against black it will cause eye strain- against white it blends beautifully.

Remember the  iPod originated as white as did the iBook. Apple and Jony Ive have always steered towards the white, transparent antiseptic look which iOS7 showcases at its zenith. 

• Reply 72 of 81
    darkvader wrote: »
    allenbf wrote: »
    I hated iOS 7 when it was unveiled...but this...this looks great!

No, it doesn't look great.

When you read a post, it is posted by someone. The name is on the left hand side. And that makes it the opinion of that particular poster. Not too difficult concept to grasp.
  • Reply 73 of 81
    blackbookblackbook Posts: 1,361member

Quote:

Originally Posted by TBell View Post

The old ones were better. Love it or leave it, the minimalistic design is consistent. The one color worked together. Adding meaningless color that doesn't work together in a color scale is not as visually pleasing.  

I agree.

Honestly the old settings icons were one of my favorite features of iOS 7.

But the new ones are more functional, and make sense in the light of the third party icons that also populate the settings app.

• Reply 74 of 81
    rogifanrogifan Posts: 10,669member
    darkvader wrote: »
    No, it doesn't look great. It's somewhat better, but the icons still are completely flat, they lack any kind of depth. Everything that's happened in the last 20 years to improve the look of user interfaces has been thrown out the window, and for no good reason.
    I love it when people spout off their opinions as fact. Sorry, but there were/are a lot of people who don't think current iOS has a good looking UI.
  • Reply 75 of 81
    rogifanrogifan Posts: 10,669member
    blackbook wrote: »
    I agree.

Honestly the old settings icons were one of my favorite features of iOS 7.

But the new ones are more functional, and make sense in the light of the third party icons that also populate the settings app.
    I didn't like the previous version because it was too much white. I think toning down some of the white space is a good idea since there is so much of it in iOS 7.
  • Reply 76 of 81
    twitter app won't refresh or scroll up/down!

anyone having the same problem???
  • Reply 77 of 81
  • Reply 78 of 81

Quote:

Originally Posted by ecs View Post

Man, I wish there was a website about _Mac_ rumors and _Mac_ news. With the time it's getting harder and harder to read stuff about the Mac. And the culprit isn't Apple, because Apple is working hard finishing the new Mac Pro and Mavericks, and other Haswell updates. The culprit is the iToy fanbase. Tough times for Mac users.

It's called CHANGE. Life = change. No change = death.

The past does not change. Life exists only in the present.

The Mac is still alive, as it is changing, too. Witness the iMac first of all. We bought one of the first iMacs back in the day. It was purple and plastic. My new iMac is aluminum and has a 27" screen, it has a 3.4 GHz Intel Core i7 processor, and it has 32 GB of RAM. It's nice.

The new Mac Pro will be even nicer and we're going to get one.

Scoff at Apple's iOS products, but they not only complement Apple's Macs and enhance its ecosystem, they're "gateway" products for millions of new Apple customers, many of whom will switch also to the new Macs from their beige pee cee's. And many of them will be happy and grateful to Apple for providing not only an affordable alternative to their minimally-used pee cee's but also for providing a much more convenient form factor with the iPhone, iPad, iPod Touch.

The current and recent greater attention being paid to "iToys" is entirely justified, as Apple's "Trojan Horse" has indeed breached the gates of the Windoze hegemony. MS's walls are irrevocably crumbling as we speak.

• Reply 79 of 81

Quote:

Originally Posted by DarkVader View Post

Yes, is does look great.

At the risk of wasting my keystrokes in explanation: The whole idea is to get the interface more out of the way of content, and to establish new standards for greater consistency across apps.

Along with that consistency comes what is actually a better depth effect in the form of parallax and the hierarchical zoom effects back and forth between apps, folders, and app pages. This enhances also the user's orientation.

Another possible reason for the "plain white" interface is to further stymie the competition with its OLED displays of lower quality resolution which cannot display the thin fonts as nicely, and which draw more battery power when having to display more white. All this while Apple has its greater profits to spend on battery/processor research to extend its products' charge life.

Very clever and pragmatic, I'd say.

• Reply 80 of 81

Quote:

Originally Posted by DonSchmidt View Post

twitter app won't refresh or scroll up/down!

anyone having the same problem???

No. Works fine for me.