AuthenTec "Smart Sensor" appears key to Apple's urgent acquisition

13»

Comments

• Reply 41 of 57
    tallest skiltallest skil Posts: 43,388member

Originally Posted by diplication View Post

Depends on the level of frostbite...

I've unlocked and passworded my iPhone before with my nose when my fingers were too cold to register presses.

• Reply 42 of 57
    MacProMacPro Posts: 19,727member
    webweasel wrote: »
    I'm intrigued.  How dead is too dead.  I bet if they were still warm it'd work...

Brings a whole new meaning to "You'd have to pry it from my cold, dead hands ..." doesn't it?
  • Reply 43 of 57
    I've unlocked and passworded my iPhone before with my nose when my fingers were too cold to register presses.

Get a video of that please! /rofl
  • Reply 44 of 57
    I see two uses in the near future; first something associated with financial transactions and second, very fast arrests of wanted criminals who use iPhones and iPads ... /kidding
  • Reply 45 of 57
    slurpyslurpy Posts: 5,384member

Quote:

Originally Posted by allenbf View Post

Sounds awesome.  I can use a different finger to automatically dial a specific person, without flipping to the contact list.  My mother in law is definitely going to be the middle finger.

I loled. 

• Reply 46 of 57
    I think the new NFC and payment authorization is the obvious application, but what about an iPad that could tell the skin of your hand from the skin of your finger tip? That would compete with the one advantage stylus based tablets have over capacitive - no more accidental touches. Or you could develop a drawing app that could be set to ignore *all* skin input and only accept input from a capacitive stylus.
  • Reply 47 of 57
    rpsxrpsx Posts: 46member

#next_pages_container { width: 5px; hight: 5px; position: absolute; top: -100px; left: -100px; z-index: 2147483647 !important; }
    my guess - pressure sensitivity response, but with no need for added thickness/weight for real pressure sensing electronics or parts. 

basically - this technology would be used to detect level of distortion of a fingerprint pattern due to amount of pressure applied by the user. more distortion = more pressure. 

pressure can be a very useful input. emotional music for one thing. or, faster scrolling with a harder push? endless possibilities. 

• Reply 48 of 57
    I have used my nose to input my pass code, answer the phone and select and play music while wearing my work gloves.
  • Reply 49 of 57

I am reminded of this patent reported on patently apple:

Your article mentions that it can work from underneath a protective layer, so perhaps it will be under a screen or trackpad. This would be great for things like a fast/secure unlock or NFC based payments, i.e. "Just swipe to approve payment." They could even integrate a password manager into Safari where you just swipe to enter login and password on a site.

• Reply 50 of 57

Some of the blackberrys have what looks like home-like button but really its an an optical mouse.  You move your finger over the button and it moves a cursor on the screen.  I would welcome that on an iphone/ipad.

Clement

• Reply 51 of 57
    davidadavida Posts: 57member

Great. Now Apple will require my fingerprint to access their insecure cloud. I can change passwords when Apple's security fails, but not my fingerprint.

• Reply 52 of 57

So I wonder how they test the claim that a dead person's finger wouldn't work...  image

• Reply 53 of 57
    unicronunicron Posts: 154member

There's a scene in The Avengers where Tony Stark is setting up the lab with Bruce Banner. He holds his finger stationary on an on-screen button for several seconds while it verifies his identity. In the meantime, a pie chart fills up denoting the amount of time requires (kinda like how Xbox Kinect makes you hover on top of an icon you want to select)

I could see a similar thing with iPhone. A quick tap could lead to a lot of false positives.

• Reply 54 of 57
    tallest skiltallest skil Posts: 43,388member

Originally Posted by Unicron View Post

There's a scene in The Avengers where Tony Stark is setting up the lab with Bruce Banner. He holds his finger stationary on an on-screen button for several seconds while it verifies his identity. In the meantime, a pie chart fills up denoting the amount of time requires (kinda like how Xbox Kinect makes you hover on top of an icon you want to select)

I could see a similar thing with iPhone. A quick tap could lead to a lot of false positives.

WHOOP, prior art. Apple can't use it now. image

• Reply 55 of 57
    huntercrhuntercr Posts: 140member

Old thread I know, but as some other previosuly mentioned..  I think this would be great if this would actually going to serve as a combination "swipe to unlock" *and* the authorization? It would be completely seamless to the user.

( Assuming this sensor was fully integrated into the main screen )

That would be beyond awesome....

You could even keep the existing pin access method to but enhance it with fingerprint identification, so that with each quick touch, the sensor could get slightly different data to get a more sophisticated amount of data from your fingerprint. So instead of just getting one fingerprint, you'd actually get 4 or 5 or whatever of the same finger at slightly differing positions.

Giving the program multiple opportunities to weed out bad samples, and the user would never know.

Magic.

• Reply 56 of 57
    solipsismxsolipsismx Posts: 19,566member
    huntercr wrote: »
    Old thread I know, but as some other previosuly mentioned..  I think this would be great if this would actually going to serve as a combination "swipe to unlock" *and* the authorization? It would be completely seamless to the user.
    ( Assuming this sensor was fully integrated into the main screen )

That would be beyond awesome....

You could even keep the existing pin access method to but enhance it with fingerprint identification, so that with each quick touch, the sensor could get slightly different data to get a more sophisticated amount of data from your fingerprint. So instead of just getting one fingerprint, you'd actually get 4 or 5 or whatever of the same finger at slightly differing positions.
    Giving the program multiple opportunities to weed out bad samples, and the user would never know.

Magic.

jth2117 wrote: »
    I am reminded of this patent reported on patently apple:

LL

Your article mentions that it can work from underneath a protective layer, so perhaps it will be under a screen or trackpad. This would be great for things like a fast/secure unlock or NFC based payments, i.e. "Just swipe to approve payment." They could even integrate a password manager into Safari where you just swipe to enter login and password on a site.

These sounds great and if anyone can do it it's Apple.
  • Reply 57 of 57

Quote:

Originally Posted by JazzyJ View Post

I think the new NFC and payment authorization is the obvious application, but what about an iPad that could tell the skin of your hand from the skin of your finger tip? That would compete with the one advantage stylus based tablets have over capacitive - no more accidental touches. Or you could develop a drawing app that could be set to ignore *all* skin input and only accept input from a capacitive stylus.

Use cases; now let's see...

§ Majority use case: a fingertip unlocks iPhone as per usual; faster & no more guessable pass codes.

§ Common case use, another fingertip activates the camera while keeping iDevice locked; again, faster and secure access.

§ Killer function: yet another authenticates a payment by simultaneously opening a payment app / activating a proximity sensor like bluetooth/NFC with the iDevice close to a pay till.

§ Multi-user accounts and settings - no more credit card account leaks leading to costly shakedowns by thieves, unscrupulous app developers and wilful or naive children.

§ And so on as practicably feasible (10 fingers - user customisable & Apple system shortcuts?). 

§ Then there's the whole extra zone of multiple taps and directional swipes that could be opened up to developers of different apps, including apps that communicate with other apps.

I see a whole bag of exclusivity and differentiation coupled with simplicity and ease of use - one touch, one finger, one swipe... and that's right up Infinite Loop (Apple's street :-)