New 'Jobs' trailer reveals a few new scenes from upcoming biopic

Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2014
A new trailer for the Steve Jobs biopic "Jobs" was released on Tuesday, showing a bit more of the movie slated to hit theaters on Aug. 29.

The latest trailer adds footage to a featurette released earlier this week, which included behind-the-scenes interviews with lead Asthon Kutcher and co-star Josh Gad.

Promotion for the film directed by Joshua Michael Stern, has picked up recently, with the launch of jobsthefilm.com and the July unveiling of a stylized poster portraying Kutcher as the Apple cofounder.

"Jobs" features Kutcher in the title role, with Gad playing Steve Wozniak, while other players include Dermot Mulroney, Lukas Haas, J.K. Simmons, Matthew Modine, and James Woods.

When the indie film sees wide release on Aug. 29, it will be the first of two to focus on the life of Steve Jobs. A second, big-budget project from Sony is currently under production and will be penned by Academy Award winning screenwriter Aaron Sorkin. Sorkin won an Oscar for Best Original Screenplay for "The Social Network," the subject of which being Facebook founder and tech industry leader Mark Zuckerberg.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 19
    robin huberrobin huber Posts: 3,949member
    Waiting for Sorkin, passing on this movie-of-the-week.
  • Reply 2 of 19
    Agreed.
  • Reply 3 of 19
    hittrj01hittrj01 Posts: 753member

Quote:

Originally Posted by Robin Huber View Post

Waiting for Sorkin, passing on this movie-of-the-week.

Is it against the law to watch both films? I think this one looks pretty good. Oscar-worthy? No, but I think Kutcher is going to surprise a lot of people by the end of this thing.

• Reply 4 of 19
    tylerk36tylerk36 Posts: 1,037member

Wow.  Torrent worthy.

• Reply 5 of 19
    larryalarrya Posts: 606member
    I've seen the trailers,and each time I think Ashton Kutcher was the wrong choice. Visually close to Jobs, but the voice is all wrong and too reminiscent of other roles. Will be waiting for this one on HBO.
  • Reply 6 of 19
    backstabbackstab Posts: 138member
    They sure are marketing it to a very specific demographic (but why wouldn't they these days). Still, I have to see it. Not sure if I'll be able to wait for HBO etc., though yeah, that will probably happen pretty quick.
  • Reply 7 of 19
    jakebjakeb Posts: 562member
    The editing and music make this trailer seem infinitely better than the clips I've seen so far.
  • Reply 8 of 19
    I got to see this movie at a pre-screening this week and I don't know why they are letting people see it early. It's worse than one thinks and I went in with very low expectations. It's poorly written with ridiculous dialogue and no exposition. Virtually the entire movie takes place with no explanation as to why anything in the movie happens. It's just a parade of scenes that the viewer has to accept. Truly a horrible movie that was obviously pushed through production to get it out first and take advantage of Jobs' death.

Sad and gross.
  • Reply 9 of 19

"Pirates of Silicon Valley" from 1999 is one of my all time favorites AND is "Steve Jobs Approved"! ...I guess these 2013 remakes will need to be pretty awesome if they're to stand a chance against the original.image

• Reply 10 of 19
    Does this movie really exist or is it just trailers?
  • Reply 11 of 19
    pazuzupazuzu Posts: 1,728member

How many Golden Rasberry Worst Actor nominations has this dude received? He's won once. He's clearly hoping to be this years Ben Affleck. 

But wouldn't it be great if he won an Oscar- "I'd like to thank the Academy and Steve Jobs......!"

• Reply 12 of 19
    pazuzupazuzu Posts: 1,728member

Quote:

Originally Posted by hittrj01 View Post

Is it against the law to watch both films? I think this one looks pretty good. Oscar-worthy? No, but I think Kutcher is going to surprise a lot of people by the end of this thing.

Base upon Enigmamatic's review above it looks like it should be called "Dude, Where's My Mac?"

• Reply 13 of 19
    jasonxjasonx Posts: 17member

From all the previews, Ashton Kutcher looks awful.  AWFUL.  Sad for him, because bio-pics usually guarantee an Oscar nom.

• Reply 14 of 19
    Kutcher wasn't bad. He looks like Jobs. The "walk" is like ASIMO not Jobs. That said he wasn't exceptional. No Oscar. But no raspberry either (except for the walk thing. That was weird).
  • Reply 15 of 19
    Oh! I forgot to mention. The production value and art direction are way off. I won't list the stuff most people won't notice but the opening scene is Jobs introducing a brand "new" product called the "iPod". Kutcher then holds up a FOURTH generation iPod. Not the original first gen with FireWire and a physically rotating scroll wheel. That error sets the tone for the rest of the movie!
  • Reply 16 of 19
    Dan_DilgerDan_Dilger Posts: 1,583member

"Pirates" was a D-quality after school special that served to flatter Microsoft and vilify Apple, helping to launch a generation of hopelessly ignorant Windows Enthusiasts who based their hatred of Jobs on a stilted caricature imaged by the guy who seriously believed Google was building vast data centers to pre-render the web in Adobe Flash so we wouldn't suffer from slow HTML.

• Reply 17 of 19
    tallest skiltallest skil Posts: 43,388member
    …served to flatter Microsoft and vilify Apple, helping to launch a generation of hopelessly ignorant Windows Enthusiasts…

Eh, I'm not sure about that. It was pretty close to being correct… at release. The fact that complete morons (read: Windows users) kept quoting it as current information (and misrepresenting said) for another DECADE is their problem. Granted, the movie should have explicitly stated that it wasn't Microsoft's purchase of Apple stock that "saved" the company, but other than that it seemed a fine piece, if now too outdated to mean anything.
    who based their hatred of Jobs on a stilted caricature imaged by the guy who seriously believed Google was building vast data centers to pre-render the web in Adobe Flash so we wouldn't suffer from slow HTML.

Wait, what? This sounds interesting.
  • Reply 18 of 19
    icoco3icoco3 Posts: 1,474member

Why does http://jobsthefilm.com look like a vertical Metro interface? image

• Reply 19 of 19
    Dan_DilgerDan_Dilger Posts: 1,583member

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

Eh, I'm not sure about that. It was pretty close to being correct… at release. The fact that complete morons (read: Windows users) kept quoting it as current information (and misrepresenting said) for another DECADE is their problem. Granted, the movie should have explicitly stated that it wasn't Microsoft's purchase of Apple stock that "saved" the company, but other than that it seemed a fine piece, if now too outdated to mean anything.

Wait, what? This sounds interesting.

It seemed plausible throughout, but was complete nonsense, just like everything else written by "Robert X Cringely," (aka Mark Stephens). Just do a Google search and start reading. 

Particularly Cringeworthy: his prediction that PowerPC software would soon be obsolete in early 2006 (this didn't happen until late 2009); that OS X needed a Linux kernel, that Apple's "microkernel" was defective by design, and that Apple was working on a "Red Box" to natively host Windows apps on Macs.

Unraveling The PowerPC Obsolescence Myth predicted that PowerPC wouldn't be eclipsed by Intel Macs until 2008, and Apple kept supporting PPC apps on its latest OS until Snow Leopard at the end of 2009. It also links to some other mythbusting of X's more absurd notions expressed back in the day.