Mobile iTunes Store video service edges out Netflix, Amazon in US customer satisfaction

Posted:
in iPod + iTunes + AppleTV edited January 2014
The results of a consumer survey released on Tuesday show that iTunes' video store is at the top of a 22-company list that includes U.S. content delivery heavyweights like HBO, Netflix and Amazon.

ForeSee
ForeSee results (left) and other findings (right) in the mobile video streaming category. | Source: ForeSee

Customer service analytics research firm ForeSee's Mobile Satisfaction Index: Media and Entertainment Edition for 2013 found iTunes to be the top digital video consumption platform in America, scoring 80 out of 100 points. The average for the category was 78.

Trailing iTunes were video streaming services like HBO GO and Netflix, which rated 79 points. In third with 78 points was Amazon Instant, while Crackle and Hulu Plus both managed 75 on the scale.

While iTunes is not a true streaming service in the strictest definition of the word, Apple's solution dose stream content through iOS devices. ForeSee found it "germane and prudent" to include iTunes in the study.

"iTunes is the de facto experience when consumers are using Apple's iOS platform," the study said. "The iTunes app comes pre-installed on iPhones and iPads. It is a significant market advantage that users do not have to elect to download the app. Also, it provides guidance to other content and media apps since the iTunes app's user experience has become the standard for how other apps look, feel, and behave. Millions of consumers then actively choose to?engage with iTunes to download content."

The fact that iTunes requires at least a section of a TV show or movie to buffer before playing was a huge factor in the survey's results, as respondents were most critical of load times and stream quality.

"With the fast pace of consumer adoption of smartphones and tablets, companies need to recognize the mobile platform is at least as important as the desktop web environment," said ForeSee President and CEO Larry Freed. "These mobile benchmark scores suggest there is much work to be done. Companies see the opportunity and they are trying to move fast, but they must be sure to do things the right way to meet the expectations of customers or risk turning them away to competitors."

Comments

• Reply 1 of 16
    charlitunacharlituna Posts: 7,217member
    Imagine how much better the score would be with better quality, pricing, global same day, faster releases etc
  • Reply 2 of 16
    bsenkabsenka Posts: 799member
    I'd love to see what the exact questions were. I rarely buy movies and TV shows through iTunes (and never rent them), but I do use iTunes pretty much every day and I can easily imagine a line of questions worded in such a way that my usage and satisfaction would somehow be counted in this survey.
  • Reply 3 of 16
    muppetrymuppetry Posts: 3,331member

I have found iTunes to be a much more reliable source of high-quality streamed movies than either Netflix or Amazon. That may be network dependent though, since I know other people who think Netflix works just fine.

• Reply 4 of 16
    Unfortunately for copyright holders, The Pirate Bay also has a high satisfaction rate.
  • Reply 5 of 16
    solomansoloman Posts: 228member
    bsenka wrote: »
    I'd love to see what the exact questions were. I rarely buy movies and TV shows through iTunes (and never rent them), but I do use iTunes pretty much every day and I can easily imagine a line of questions worded in such a way that my usage and satisfaction would somehow be counted in this survey.

You can get the full report here but they ask for some personal info in order to get it.

http://www.ForeSee.com/research-white-papers/mobile-cme-2013-form-foresee.shtml
  • Reply 6 of 16
    solomansoloman Posts: 228member
    Unfortunately for copyright holders, The Pirate Bay also has a high satisfaction rate.

I imagine so but this was strictly mobile.
  • Reply 7 of 16
    lkrupplkrupp Posts: 10,557member

Quote:

Originally Posted by bsenka View Post

So, bottom line, you just can't believe that iTunes is any better than Netflix or Amazon when it comes to movies and TV shows. There must be something fishy going on, something rigged.

• Reply 8 of 16
    lkrupplkrupp Posts: 10,557member

Quote:

Originally Posted by rossistboss View Post

Thieves don't count because, well, they're disgusting human beings. Are you one of them?

• Reply 9 of 16
    tallest skiltallest skil Posts: 43,388member
    charlituna wrote: »
    Imagine how much better the score would be with better quality, pricing, global same day, faster releases etc

I've always thought a global iTunes Store was the way to go. LONG TAIL, people! Forget this nonsense single country licensing. It doesn't matter how few people from whereverstan buy your things as long as a few buy them. That's money you wouldn't have otherwise had and people get to legally enjoy your content!
  • Reply 10 of 16

Quote:

I understand their prices can't be beat.   /s

• Reply 11 of 16

Quote:

Originally Posted by lkrupp View Post

So, bottom line, you just can't believe that iTunes is any better than Netflix or Amazon when it comes to movies and TV shows. There must be something fishy going on, something rigged.

HEY!  Pull my finger...

• Reply 12 of 16
    jragostajragosta Posts: 10,473member
    Customer service analytics research firm <a href="http://www.foresee.com/">ForeSee's</a> Mobile Satisfaction Index: Media and Entertainment Edition for 2013 found iTunes to be the top digital video consumption platform in America, scoring 80 out of 100 points. The average for the category was 78.

Trailing iTunes were video streaming services like HBO GO and Netflix, which rated 79 points. In third with 78 points was Amazon Instant, while Crackle and Hulu Plus both managed 75 on the scale.

Let's see:
    iTunes 80
    Average 78
    Netflix 79
    Amazon 78

Given that the typical error margin in surveys like this is +/- 2 or 3%, there is absolutely no difference in any of those numbers. Any survey where results vary from 75 on the low end to 80 on the high end is poorly designed. You need to design the survey so that it shows up differences rather than simply saying "they're all the same" - which is what this one does.

Nothing to see here. Move along.
  • Reply 13 of 16
    jragostajragosta Posts: 10,473member
    lkrupp wrote: »

Or simply people who don't understand how to read a survey report.

This report shows no difference between the majors. It most certainly does not show iTunes to be better - as the headline claims.
  • Reply 14 of 16
    pedromartinspedromartins Posts: 1,333member

Quote:

Originally Posted by lkrupp View Post

Quote:

Thieves don't count because, well, they're disgusting human beings. Are you one of them?

Thieves? Thieves? Go read a book or 2.

So, should I pay for something with less quality that is out since last year in a few countries in an era of instant sharing because fat guy number 1 or number 2 wants an extra yacht? Heck, should I wait 2 years for a TV show that is out now?

The whole process of monetizing hollywood is stupid and old, just like the people that have the nerve to defend it. Same thing with music and the need to always change some rules so Beatles and Led Zepplin's songs don't become free.

Game of thrones deserves it's sucess not only because of the books, but mostly because of pirate bay. Don't fool yourself. If something has quality, it will be profitable if done right.

But please, thry to disguise yourself as an well informed person living in 2013 with access to tech, information and reality before posting.

Regards

• Reply 15 of 16
    icoco3icoco3 Posts: 1,474member

What is the margin of error?  For the most part, the top companies are statistically even.

• Reply 16 of 16
    tpettpet Posts: 4member
    This is what statisticians like to call "insignificantly significant" numbers. Yes, there is a definitive, measurable "winner" .. but for all intents and purposes, what we have here is a four-way tie.