Apple still leads worldwide PC market with combined iPad shipments, but Lenovo gaining ground

Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2014
With its iPad, Apple continued to enjoy a commanding lead over the worldwide PC market in units shipped during the second quarter of 2013, but second place Lenovo gained some ground on strong tablet shipment growth.

Canalys
Source: Canalys

According to Canalys, a market research firm that considers tablets in its PC shipment estimates, Apple owned a 17.1 percent share of the PC market in quarter two with 18.6 million units shipped. However, the Cupertino, Calif., company saw negative growth of 11.5 percent from the same period in 2012, which resulted in an over two point drop in marketshare.

Canalys saw No. 2 Lenovo creep up on Apple with 14.1 million units shipped, good for 12.9 percent of the market. Units shipped was up 7.3 percent from the year ago quarter. In addition to gaining share in the notebook and desktop categories, Lenovo was able to also grow in tablets.

"It is striking how successful it has been in globalizing its PC business and breaking the 1 million unit barrier is an important milestone for its tablet shipments," said Canalys analyst James Wang. "Lenovo is on an upward curve with its tablets, expanding in mainland China and Latin America, where there is little competition from the likes of Google or Amazon."

Coming in third with a revamped tablet strategy was HP, which regained the spot from Samsung on 12.7 million shipped units for an 11.6 percent share of the market. Samsung trailed in fourth with 10.8 million units for 9.9 percent of the market, while Dell ended in fifth place with 9.5 million shipments and an 8.7 percent marketshare.

Overall, the PC market grew slightly year-over-year at a rate of 0.3 percent with just over 109 million total shipments.

Although Apple's iPad shipment growth rate may have slipped, the company is still seen as raking in the most profits from its tablet sales. The continued profitability of the iPad is crucial to Apple, especially considering Canalys estimates regarding Mac shipments, which reportedly accounted for only 20 percent of the company's PC shipments for the second quarter.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 16
    Times change. Wasn't long ago that a PC was quite a different beast.
  • Reply 2 of 16
    drblankdrblank Posts: 3,385member
    Well there are companies that sell a $900 laptop and the 128G Cellular iPad is $929, but most $900 don't do cellular. Low end laptops do start at around $350 or so for those cheap PC laptops and desktops, so why not include iPads and tablets by other companies. It runs Office apps and other professional business applications. Heck, they are used as replacing PC and dedicated cash registers, and all kinds of things normally done on a desktop or laptop.

I think it's funny myself.
  • Reply 3 of 16

Windows, Android, HP, Sony, Google, Motorola ='s CRAP!

• Reply 4 of 16

Quote:

Originally Posted by realwarder View Post

Times change. Wasn't long ago that a PC was quite a different beast.

Wasn't long ago Apple would have been down in the no-name "Other" category, and HP was flying high...

I remember back in the day when Microsoft used to sell OS software and everyone needed to buy a DOS compatible computer and then take a class on how to use it so as not to get the floppy disc stuck in the CD drive tray.

• Reply 5 of 16
    virtuavirtua Posts: 209member
    These days Apple products are all rubbing off each other shouting 'we are family' ;p which is a very attractive proposition and a strong place to be.

The wierd thing is that Sony had the whole ecosystem thing....i remember going to the Sony building in Ginza in '97 and seeing concept stuff like digital picture frames...they were so far ahead.....and just lost it completely. Japan innovated technology and made it cool....not any more.

I had sony sonic stage (which must have come out at around the same time as iTunes). The sony player I had was there first attempt to copy the iPod....with a touch pad and small screen .....the hard drive unit seized up on it after 6 months.....then I had to format my pc and even though I left my songs on a separate drive, sonic stage would not recognise them as my collection and not let me play them - rendering my collection useless.

My relationship with iTunes and iPod was born and that has blossomed into a bigger Apple relationship.
  • Reply 6 of 16
    cash907cash907 Posts: 893member

And if an iPad were a real PC and not a tablet, that headline would mean something.

Cute try though, AI.

• Reply 7 of 16
    The analysis is based on shipments and as stated is only an estimate. What I think needs to be taken into consideration is the large reduction Apple made to it's channel inventory. As such, whatever portion of the billion dollars plus that can be allocated to iPads / PCs should be factored for a realistic positioning.

Whether Apple is being ultra conservative or as a prelude to a product introduction, their market position is secure and should rebound shortly.
  • Reply 8 of 16
    mir808mir808 Posts: 12member

In the endless sea of crap Windows computers, Lenovo is the only company making somewhat better(relatively speaking) computers.While HP and Dell are shamelessly coping Apple. Sony is no better though, Recently a friend of mine bought a laptop(Vaio) it looked exactly like MacBook pro. It even had light leaking keyboard and mac like trackpad  but it was made of plastic and felt cheap. I was like WTF!

• Reply 9 of 16
    pedromartinspedromartins Posts: 1,333member

Quote:

Originally Posted by christopher126 View Post

Windows, Android, HP, Sony, Google, Motorola ='s CRAP!

Google is crap? Google?

So, tell me. I have 400€ and want to buy a phone.Is that a nice budget? In Europe, almost no one has similar contracts to the US and that's the maximum rich kids spend on phones. In most normal families 500 € is what mom or dad brings home each month, can you see the trouble of trying to shed 400€ on such device? What choices do I have from apple? A 399€ iphone 4 that will never see an update past iOS 7 and was released in 2010? Despite the awesome things the iphone 4 brings, at the price it isn't an option out of the US.

Almost all OEMs and Microsoft deserve to be treated as shit, but not google. They create amazing products that are accessible and are very good by themselves. Just because the iPhone truly is the best phone, it doesn't mean that when done right, Android products aren't great. A nexus device is great, even if not on par with an iPhone 5. Stock android is great, even if bellow iOS.

But even if my budget was 800 €, what can Apple give me? I'm a student. The idea of having a mobile device that fits in my pocket but has great battery life, a big and great screen so it is more confortable for web browising, reading some pdfs on the bus, twitter, entertainemt and top notch performance is very compelling. But I can't afford and iPhone and an iPad. Google brings alternatives like the HTC one,s4, note, xperia Z that for my needs, even if price wasn't a factor, would be better than the iphone+iPad combo.

Of course, OEMs are shit and always find a away to screw their devices, be it with stupid build quality and pentile screen (s4), bloatware (all of them), lack of updates (HTC), etc.

Apple could make the device I (and millions and millions, perhaps even more than the ones currently buying iPhones (the number of s2+s3+s4+xperia Z+note+ HTC one buyers is closer if not bigger then the number of iPhone 5 being sold, no?)) am looking for, while producing a 4" high quality device too. But they are chosing to force people to go the google route, instead.

In my opinion, that is worth 0, Apple is right focusing on the end that matters, the one where the money and quality is. But let's no be stupid and pretend that a similar opportunity for a bigger screen iPhone doesn't exist and that Apple couldn't create such device. They are milking it and behave just like Microsoft did. Also, let's not pretend Apple's iphone 5C couldn't have a 4" retina screen and the same camera that the iPhone 5 brings and sell it for 200 dollars unlocked, with a different build and ipod touch-like internals and make a  profit on each unit sold, not to mention stronger ecosystem. They are the kings of supply chain.

And do not fool yourself, Apple will only do it if companies like Google force them to keep the pace. Unfortunately, with 200 billions on the bank, printing money and the brand power, it isn't enough.

A 4.5 to 5" screen doesn't need a huge phone (Moto X), and we wouldn't have to skip the screen quality (s4), have slower UI speed (all of them) and build quality if Apple caredabout going forward, like they did and will do again.

I will work for it and wait, I never had an iPhone and it means a lot to me. Bring it Apple, even my perfect and amazing 2011 air would love to not be with me anywhere I go.

• Reply 10 of 16
    tallest skiltallest skil Posts: 43,388member
    cash907 wrote:
    And if an iPad were a real PC and not a tablet, that headline would mean something.

Shut up and go away.
  • Reply 11 of 16
    solomansoloman Posts: 228member
    Google is crap? Google?

So, tell me. I have 400€ and want to buy a phone.Is that a nice budget? In Europe, almost no one has similar contracts to the US and that's the maximum rich kids spend on phones. In most normal families 500 € is what mom or dad brings home each month, can you see the trouble of trying to shed 400€ on such device? What choices do I have from apple? A 399€ iphone 4 that will never see an update past iOS 7 and was released in 2010? Despite the awesome things the iphone 4 brings, at the price it isn't an option out of the US.

Almost all OEMs and Microsoft deserve to be treated as shit, but not google. They create amazing products that are accessible and are very good by themselves. Just because the iPhone truly is the best phone, it doesn't mean that when done right, Android products aren't great. A nexus device is great, even if not on par with an iPhone 5. Stock android is great, even if bellow iOS.

But even if my budget was 800 €, what can Apple give me? I'm a student. The idea of having a mobile device that fits in my pocket but has great battery life, a big and great screen so it is more confortable for web browising, reading some pdfs on the bus, twitter, entertainemt and top notch performance is very compelling. But I can't afford and iPhone and an iPad. Google brings alternatives like the HTC one,s4, note, xperia Z that for my needs, even if price wasn't a factor, would be better than the iphone+iPad combo.

Of course, OEMs are shit and always find a away to screw their devices, be it with stupid build quality and pentile screen (s4), bloatware (all of them), lack of updates (HTC), etc.

Apple could make the device I (and millions and millions, perhaps even more than the ones currently buying iPhones (the number of s2+s3+s4+xperia Z+note+ HTC one buyers is closer if not bigger then the number of iPhone 5 being sold, no?)) am looking for, while producing a 4" high quality device too. But they are chosing to force people to go the google route, instead.

In my opinion, that is worth 0, Apple is right focusing on the end that matters, the one where the money and quality is. But let's no be stupid and pretend that a similar opportunity for a bigger screen iPhone doesn't exist and that Apple couldn't create such device. They are milking it and behave just like Microsoft did. Also, let's not pretend Apple's iphone 5C couldn't have a 4" retina screen and the same camera that the iPhone 5 brings and sell it for 200 dollars unlocked, with a different build and ipod touch-like internals and make a  profit on each unit sold, not to mention stronger ecosystem. They are the kings of supply chain.

And do not fool yourself, Apple will only do it if companies like Google force them to keep the pace. Unfortunately, with 200 billions on the bank, printing money and the brand power, it isn't enough.

A 4.5 to 5" screen doesn't need a huge phone (Moto X), and we wouldn't have to skip the screen quality (s4), have slower UI speed (all of them) and build quality if Apple caredabout going forward, like they did and will do again.

I will work for it and wait, I never had an iPhone and it means a lot to me. Bring it Apple, even my perfect and amazing 2011 air would love to not be with me anywhere I go.

Wasn't the same said about the iPad mini? "If Apple makes a smaller iPad it'll be the end of all another tablets" yet iPad sales are down and the sales of other tablets are up. What should obviously happen doesn't always happen.
  • Reply 12 of 16
    Google is crap? Google?

If the average family brings home as little as you say, then even a phone that is half of that budget should not be considered as those families have more pressing basic needs than a smart phone. As they have little money to spend, Apple would be wise marketing phones to people who do have the disposable income to spend on their products. There is no shame in that as there is no shame in not being able to afford Apple devices. I would like a Ferrari but alas cannot afford one right now. Should Ferrari create a car for those that cannot afford them? No, because there is no profit in it for them and that market is being served by plenty of others. And what does that have to do with larger screens? You want larger state of the art phones but then want them to be dirt cheap too. Those cheaper phones compromise in areas to get them to that price point. Samsung and HTCs flagships serve only a small portion of the Android market. Moto's phone serves even less, especially in developing markets. Apple may address this with a cheaper iPhone but only if there is enough money to be made. China and India may get their own phone because of the size of the market but Apple may be content to sell older models as their entry phones in other less lucrative markets.
  • Reply 13 of 16
    albedoalbedo Posts: 11member

Quote:

Originally Posted by pedromartins View Post

In most normal families 500 € is what mom or dad brings home each month, 

Mmmm, what ? https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_countries_by_per_capita_personal_income

In Belgium the unemployement benefits absolute minimum is around 900$. Same for most of western Europe.

• Reply 14 of 16

Quote:

Originally Posted by iSteelers View Post

If the average family brings home as little as you say, then even a phone that is half of that budget should not be considered as those families have more pressing basic needs than a smart phone. As they have little money to spend, Apple would be wise marketing phones to people who do have the disposable income to spend on their products. There is no shame in that as there is no shame in not being able to afford Apple devices. I would like a Ferrari but alas cannot afford one right now. Should Ferrari create a car for those that cannot afford them? No, because there is no profit in it for them and that market is being served by plenty of others. And what does that have to do with larger screens? You want larger state of the art phones but then want them to be dirt cheap too. Those cheaper phones compromise in areas to get them to that price point. Samsung and HTCs flagships serve only a small portion of the Android market. Moto's phone serves even less, especially in developing markets. Apple may address this with a cheaper iPhone but only if there is enough money to be made. China and India may get their own phone because of the size of the market but Apple may be content to sell older models as their entry phones in other less lucrative markets.

Basically, what I am saying is:

If Apple wants something different with iOS instead of a new "mac-like" situation, and there's nothing wrong with it since it is a very profitable business and they make the best PCs, they need a budget device (less than 300 dollars no contract) with something compelling that no one can offer at that price point (since we leave in a facebook or twitter world, me thinks a retina screen and/or the same camera used on the iphone 5 is a great thing to get teenagers very interested) while still making a nice profit.

As the iPod touch shows, they can do it and be lucrative while doing it. But the real profit would be higher market share.

Than, and perhaps more importantly, a big screen device. That's it.

No contract:

299 16gb iPhone A 4", A5

Contract:

0 32gb iPhone 4" (5 sucessor)

99 64gb iPhone 4" (5 sucessor)

199 128gb iPhone 4" (5 sucessor)

199 64gb IPhone X 5"

299 128gb iPhone X 5"

399 256gb iPhone X 5"

You, and everyone else, know that Android flagships only sell because of big screens (and maybe extra storage) and they only started doing that because they cant engineer a smaller high end device.

With this strategy Apple could maintain brand prestige, sell many more devices and go toe to toe with Android in sales, and profit more, while making iOS much stronger (and Mac sales would grow accordingly).

I then gave my particular case as Apple as no offering that can satisfy my needs, be it a cheaper device + tablet or a premium 5" phone. Then we know very well what their strategy is related to memory. They are milking it and not pushing forward anymore. iOS looks like it is going in the right direction, and it is being hold back by the hardware offerings.

Apple could do that, put 1920*1200 on the macbook air, put the iPad retina resolution on the mini, go 4k on the retina Macs and the 10inch iPad very quick, no one else could, in fact they are waiting for Apple so prices come down before they go for it too.

In conclusion, we know the BOM for the iPhone 5, we know that for that model has already paid for itself and that software never stops. They could easely reach those price points and features and still make a profit that makes even the integrated Samsung envy. No one else could, because they don't master the tecnics and supply chain like Apple does, and Apple already has the resources.

So, why not? Because no one is pushing it, and they are waiting and waiting, going incremental on memory and ram, etc.

But since all flagships have huge problems (that Apple wouldn't have), I have to wait for Apple's 5" iPhone.

Since I have a Macbook air, a tablet by itself is irrelevant, so I for now have no other option but buy a cheap android device, root it, unlock bootloader, install recovery, flash a new kernel, flash a new ROM close to stock. Funny, right? Look at this:https://loja.vodafone.pt/homephone/telemovel.htm?id=72492-1&modelo=Sony-Xperia-L-Preto

vs

http://store.apple.com/pt/buy/home/shop_iphone/family/iphone4?product=IPHONE4

Keep in mind that, most likely, the iPhone will never be updated past iOS 7, while the Xperia L will most likely be updated to 4.2 and 4.3 (same shit, I know) and maybe 5.0, unless they require 16 processor cores for it to run, but cyanogenmod will support for a long time.

If a zombie company can do that...

Apple could and should do better, otherwise it will keep going this route, and they have everything to avoid such things:

http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=1619889

• Reply 15 of 16

Quote:

Originally Posted by Albedo View Post

Quote:

Originally Posted by pedromartins View Post

In most normal families 500 € is what mom or dad brings home each month, 

Mmmm, what ? https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_countries_by_per_capita_personal_income

In Belgium the unemployement benefits absolute minimum is around 900$. Same for most of western Europe.

Portugal.

The majority of the population gains the minimum salary or close to it, 485€. Those that are unnemployed and young gain much less. 

• Reply 16 of 16
    agramonteagramonte Posts: 345member

Quote:

Originally Posted by Cash907 View Post

Cute try though, AI.

yep, it is stupidity data - bad enough when they try to do this with the regular iPad, but now the numbers also include the iPad Mini... so now the Mini running iOS is also the same as a laptop or desktop - complete nonsense.