Apple's iPhone builds on US smartphone lead as iOS gains on Android

Posted:
in iPhone edited January 2014
According to research firm comScore's latest U.S. smartphone user report, Apple saw quarterly subscriber gains in June as iOS slowly crept up on Android, which held stable with over half of the market.

comScore
Source: comScore

On the heels of IDC's look at the worldwide smartphone market, comScore issued the latest findings from its MobiLens service for the second quarter of 2013.

The firm found Apple to lead the U.S. market with a 39.9 percent share at the end of June, a positive 0.9 point change from the first three months of the year. Samsung also boosted its piece of the pie by 2 percent, ending the second quarter with 23.7 percent of the market.

Apple and Samsung's gains were at the expense of the other top five manufacturers, with No. 3 HTC holding 8.5 percent of the market, fourth place Motorola with 7.2 percent, and LG at 6.6 percent. Each of the bottom three lost marketshare equating to 0.5 percent, 1.3 percent, and 0.2 percent, respectively.

comScore

In terms of operating system marketshare, Android dominated with 52 percent of the market, but exhibited no growth quarter-to-quarter. Apple's iOS came in second with a 39.9 percent share, again up 0.9 points from last quarter.

BlackBerry took 4.4 percent of the market, down 0.8 percent from the March quarter, while Microsoft's Windows Phone moved up slightly from 3.0 percent to 3.1 percent. Symbian continued to fall, losing 0.2 points quarter-to-quarter to finish with 0.3 percent of the market.

At the end of the June quarter, almost 142 million people in the U.S. owned a smartphone, a number up 4 percent since March. According to comScore, smartphones now account for 59 percent of the mobile market.

Comments

• Reply 2 of 59
    dasanman69dasanman69 Posts: 13,002member
    Samsung is doing quite a number on the other Android vendors.
  • Reply 3 of 59

but, by the numbers all of iOS's gains were from other platforms.
  • Reply 4 of 59
    blackbookblackbook Posts: 1,361member
    Everyone including Tim Cook knows the iPhone does well in the western world.

It's been on top in the US and UK for a long time now.

Where growth has been declining for Apple is the Eastern world such as Russia, China, and India. That's why their global share is shrinking.

All that to say this issue will be addresses when the iPhone 5C comes out. I'm sure it will be positioned as the iPhone for everyone.
  • Reply 5 of 59
    drblankdrblank Posts: 3,385member
    And this is being done without any product announcements since last sept/oct. for any iOS device, so as they say, it's the calm before the storm.
  • Reply 6 of 59

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

But but but but but…

The Surface has a kickstand...   See........................  click.

• Reply 7 of 59
    All this cascade of data on shipment shares from the various data vendors for various quarters for various parts of the world for various manufacturers versus various device types versus various software platforms using various (unexplained) methodologies amount to a little more than noise. Utter junk. For fools, by fools.

The only honest numbers on quantities sold in the business are the ones put out by Apple every every quarter in its financial statements. Period.
  • Reply 8 of 59
    blackbook wrote: »
    Where growth has been declining for Apple is the Eastern world such as Russia, China, and India..

That is simply factually incorrect.
  • Reply 9 of 59
    drblank wrote: »

What does that have to do with the article?
  • Reply 10 of 59
    lkrupplkrupp Posts: 10,557member

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

But but but but but…

Fandroids switched their talking points from U.S. to global statistics a long time ago. Where have you been? The inconvenient truth about U.S. numbers is not something they like to talk about.

• Reply 11 of 59
    drblank wrote: »

And you can break dance to it.
  • Reply 12 of 59
    lkrupp wrote: »
    Fandroids switched their talking points from U.S. to global statistics a long time ago. Where have you been? The inconvenient truth about U.S. numbers is not something they like to talk about.

My favorite talking point: "I'm a long time Apple user and I am concerned about Apple's lack of competitiveness which would be solved by giving the iPhone 5s a giant screen, Steve must be rolling over in his grave P.S., here is the list of Apple products I've owned since 1926..."
  • Reply 13 of 59

Quote:

Originally Posted by Suddenly Newton View Post

My favorite talking point: "I'm a long time Apple user and I am concerned about Apple's lack of competitiveness which would be solved by giving the iPhone 5s a giant screen, Steve must be rolling over in his grave P.S., here is the list of Apple products I've owned since 1926..."

You can't forget the most important part of their talking point!

"Now I'm going to have to buy an Android, Windows, etc."

• Reply 14 of 59

Quote:

Originally Posted by anantksundaram View Post

That is simply factually incorrect.

Last quarter sales in China and India dipped along with Apple's marketshare in those areas. In Russia the top carriers all dropped the iPhone. Those are the problems I'm talking about.

• Reply 15 of 59
    flaneurflaneur Posts: 4,526member
    So I figured it out. I'll let you all in on it, but you have to stifle any contempt and just argue rationally.

Apple has discovered that people in the so-called developing world actually prefer personal objects that are made of plastic, the more brightly colored the better, over things that are made of metal, whether shiny or satin finish. If you go into a Chinese or Japanese toy store, or one that carries stuff for young people, all you see is bright plastic in colors. Hello Kitty and all that.

Different peoples have different broad areas of preference according to their respective stages of development. The West suffers from Plastic Fatigue. It is Post Polymeric.

The East is entering the era of chemical mass manufacture. It is in the midst of the Plastic Revolution, the secret that was given to Dustin Hoffman in [I]The Graduate[/I]. That was too late, thus the joke.

John Crowley wrote a post-apocalytic novel ([I]Engine Summer? Little Big?[/I]) in which survivors spend an inordinate amount of time looking through the ruins for plastic, since they value it above all other materials. This seems to be a likely prediction of what would happen.

So HTC made a big mistake with the One, and if Samsung follows through on their intentions to raise the quality of their phones, well, we shall see about what's thought to be cheap and what's not.
  • Reply 16 of 59

Quote:

And you can break dance to it.

And the cover clicks too!     like that hasn't been done before.........

• Reply 17 of 59
    nkalunkalu Posts: 315member

One minute it is iOS, another minute it is Android. Should we really care?

• Reply 18 of 59
    blackbook wrote: »
    Last quarter sales in China and India dipped along with Apple's marketshare in those areas. In Russia the top carriers all dropped the iPhone. Those are the problems I'm talking about.

In India you can buy an Android phone for $81

http://www.knowyourmobile.in/android/7311/top-10-cheapest-android-phone-india-below-rs-5000-july-2013

In India the iPhone starts at $433 for the iPhone 4... then goes to $745 for the iPhone 5

http://shop.airtel.com/pages/iphone

Are you really surprised Android is dominating in India?

I could go on for China and Russia... but you know the outcome.

BTW... aren't China, India and Russia considered to be developing nations? Do you think that's why rather expensive Apple products go unnoticed by a vast majority of their populations?

You know Apple doesn't do "cheap"
  • Reply 19 of 59
    hjbhjb Posts: 278member

Quote:

The underlined may be true to many iPhone 5 users.  Moto X is quite similar (a tiny bit wider) with iPhone 5 in smartphone size, but it has 4.7 inch screen size.  4 inch is just not on.

• Reply 20 of 59
    philboogiephilboogie Posts: 7,675member