Exclusive: Hidden contacts revealed within Apple's iOS in the Car

Comments

• Reply 21 of 75
    hill60hill60 Posts: 6,992member

All you'd need is an Apple TV like device that could be built into the console and hooked to existing screen, power and entertainment systems.

It wouldn't cost too much per unit for car manufacturers to add them with aftermarket devices available for older cars and for car makers who don't get on board.

• Reply 22 of 75

Any word on whether there is a partnership deal with any after market car audio maufacturers for this. I was about to buy a Pioneer App Radio but will wait for this if there is one coming out.

• Reply 23 of 75
    jlljll Posts: 2,713member

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gatorguy View Post

Just as with Google there might be more than a few iOS users uncomfortable with anyone, even Apple, tracking and recording exactly where they've been, when, and how long they stayed there.

It's local on the phone and can be turned off.

• Reply 24 of 75
    pmzpmz Posts: 3,433member
    A form of AirPlay via USB, WiFi, or Bluetooth is certainly the way to go. This means that the accompanying vehicle dashboard hardware needs minimal requirements...much like the AirPlay protocol itself across third parties.

All it needs to do is support touch & Apple's new AirPlay + Touch protocol (or whatever it is), and the iPhone does the rest.
  • Reply 25 of 75
    bikertwinbikertwin Posts: 566member
    Well it's more than just Airplay, since the protocol would have to be able to capture touches on the screen and communicate that back to the phone, and AirPlay doesn't do that on your TV.

And it might integrate with the car manufacturer's in-dash system, so there might be a standard interface/protocol for that--for volume and muting, if nothing else.

And I imagine that ugly Home button takes you out of iOS in the Car and displays the manufacturer's standard user interface.
  • Reply 26 of 75
    jlljll Posts: 2,713member

Quote:

Originally Posted by rhopper View Post

Any word on whether there is a partnership deal with any after market car audio maufacturers for this. I was about to buy a Pioneer App Radio but will wait for this if there is one coming out.

No, but I wouldn't be surprised if some version of AppRadio will be compatible.

• Reply 27 of 75
    bzzlinkbzzlink Posts: 10member

Wow. AI has got this all wrong.

This is simply "ipod in the car" ver.2.0

Example

When you hook up your iphone5 to a 2011 or newer Audi via bluetooth OR USB, the following is sent to the cars display from the phone

Signal Strength

Battery power

Contacts

Ongoing call status

Playlists 

Albumart 

Currently playing info artist etc. (playlist albumart also works from 3rd party apps like Spotify)

Moreover, aftermarket carstereos have for years also made it possible to watch videos (tv-shows and movies) over the "ipod in the car" interface for years.

iOS in the car, will work just the same, but will send entire screens instead of just the data.

This will live inside one of the apps in the cars entertainment system, just as "ipod in the car" does today. If you haven't got an apple device, then you just use your cars normal cd / cassette player / AM radio as usual. and other crappy "apps" as usual.

• Reply 28 of 75
    gatorguygatorguy Posts: 24,213member
    jll wrote: »
    It's local on the phone and can be turned off.

Correct, it's the default setting (location on) but can be turned off if you know about it. If instead it's built in to the vehicle systems itself there may not be any way to disable it. In fact I'd be pretty surprised if you could. I don't see iOS7 running in a vehicle unless it's on an iPhone (or iPad?)
  • Reply 29 of 75
    dugbugdugbug Posts: 283member

Quote:

Originally Posted by jragosta View Post

If there's any lesson you can learn from Apple, it's that hardware and software go together.

While Apple would not be making dashboards, you can be certain that they would influence the dashboard design.

I've seen this comment several times (mostly from the "I'd never buy a car that would be tied to Apple's devices" crowd), but it doesn't make any sense. If they were to use iOS on the phone, you wouldn't be able to use the car's features if your iPhone was turned off (or if you left it at home). iOS would have to be running on the car.

A good point to be sure. If it is airplay-driven there will be an issue if you don't have your phone.  I would imagine you get the OEM flavor as a stopgap.  For example if BMW does integrate it, you would get their idrive.

• Reply 30 of 75
    dasanman69dasanman69 Posts: 13,002member
    nikilok wrote: »
    Another interesting observation is the choice of car manufacturing partners.
    They are partnering with both the economy class / high end ones.

Is it another cue stating Apple is going to target the middle tier of the phone segment ?

Because cars are a poor way to judge someone's social class. There's poor people with BMWs and rich people driving Toyotas. Larry David is pretty darn rich and he drives a Prius.
  • Reply 31 of 75

I wonder if iOS in the Car will have that damn lawyer screen you have to dismiss every time your start your car...

(except Apple's will be 10x longer)

• Reply 32 of 75
    nikiloknikilok Posts: 383member
    bzzlink wrote: »

Example
    When you hook up your iphone5 to a 2011 or newer Audi via bluetooth OR USB, the following is sent to the cars display from the phone

Signal Strength
    Battery power
    Contacts
    Ongoing call status
    Playlists 
    Albumart 
    <span style="line-height:1.231;">Currently playing info artist etc. (playlist albumart also works from 3rd party apps like Spotify)</span>

Moreover, aftermarket carstereos have for years also made it possible to watch videos (tv-shows and movies) over the "ipod in the car" interface for years.

iOS in the car, will work just the same, but will send entire screens instead of just the data.

This will live inside one of the apps in the cars entertainment system, just as "ipod in the car" does today. If you haven't got an apple device, then you just use your cars normal cd / cassette player / AM radio as usual. and other crappy "apps" as usual.
    IOS in the car allows for a two way user interaction between the cars screen and the device. Default car gps software could be replaced with the iOS version. For all you know they could even open up API to allow developers built custom apps for the car in the future. It's the foundation for that.
  • Reply 33 of 75
    don108don108 Posts: 79member
    Generally, the auto year begins in October of the previous year. So the 2014 cars will start appearing in October 2013. This makes sense if iOS 7 appears with a new iPhone, as expected, the month before, September.

More interesting to me: will there be units for the dashboard that will retrofit into current autos?
  • Reply 34 of 75
    gazoobeegazoobee Posts: 3,754member

Quote:

Originally Posted by JLL View Post

The articles on AI about this all write about iOS in the Car as hardware. Daniel even speculates if it means that Apple will let others make iOS hardware.

I think you guys are hammering on this far harder than the evidence suggests.  Sure it's probably an AirPlay type feature, but typically there would be hardware integration or at least a set of specs as well.  The whole point of it is that once you have this supremely adaptable, extensible and powerful UNIX computer in your car, the "built-in" stuff from Chevy et all will quickly become irrelevant and fade away.  

So the author isn't "totally wrong" at all.  That's just a bitchy overstatement. 

Apple will no doubt be suggesting a particular type of screen of a particular size, shape and location etc., and while Airplay will be the primary method of operation at first, and we will see some blended hardware in the initial stages, there is no way that Apple will allow the iOS display to be stretched over the wrong aspect ratio, or displayed on a black and white screen or any of that crap.  Just like the manufacturer of any product hoping to have it integrated into another product, there will be "best case" suggestions on hardware as well as red lines that they won't cross.  

I would bet that by the second generation, you will see standardised hardware specs for sure.  Apple may even design the housing for it and the brilliance of their design will no doubt have knock on effects making the car dashboard become more standardised across models itself.  

Apple will always be the driver when it comes to design.  What does Chevy et al, really know about design?  Nothing. 

• Reply 35 of 75
    paul94544paul94544 Posts: 1,027member
    I wanted to buy a Ford C-max hybrid, but the crappy Microsoft powered OS has stopped me , if only Ford had iOS coming, oh well
  • Reply 36 of 75
    jragostajragosta Posts: 10,473member
    gatorguy wrote: »
    If it's integrated directly into the car rather than over the iPhone there may not be any way to disable detailed default location tracking that comes with iOS7. Apparently the service would be integrated with car navigation that requires location on, correct. Just as with Google there might be more than a few iOS users uncomfortable with anyone, even Apple, tracking and recording exactly where they've been, when, and how long they stayed there.

That is, of course, total BS. Why wouldn't you be able to turn it off? Does your car require the navigation to be turned on all the time?

Furthermore, unlike Google, Apple's business model doesn't require them to track your every move.

hill60 wrote: »
    All you'd need is an Apple TV like device that could be built into the console and hooked to existing screen, power and entertainment systems.

It wouldn't cost too much per unit for car manufacturers to add them with aftermarket devices available for older cars and for car makers who don't get on board.

Exactly. Since the car already has power, you'd eliminate the power supply and the case. Storage could possibly be scaled back. Essentially, you'd have a circuit board, storage, CPU and RAM (which might be built into the CPU as in the iPhone). I'm guessing a cost of $20-30 at most, partially offset by eliminating what they're doing now.
  • Reply 37 of 75
    oflifeoflife Posts: 120member
    I think this article shows how completely out of touch some Apple blogs and fans are. (Note: Am typing this on a 13" MBA and have an iPad mini and iPhone - and two Android phones - next to me, so am impartial). For starters, there is nothing at all new or innovative about any of the above. Since a few years ago, I have been able to dock even my most basic Android phone in my car (at the time, a Motorola DEFY running a very old version of Android) and do the following:

1. Issue spoken commands to do pretty much all I can do today with Siri.
    2. Navigate to must about anywhere on Earth, with Google's excellent satnav killing Google Maps/Turn by turn directions
    3. Obtain location info, such as nearest ATM, gas station etc.

Further, the navigation interface is not from above, but is down at street level like a regular satnav, so it's easy comprehend. Looking at maps from above is confusing because you lose your orientation, but that's another discussion. (I'm aware that Apple maps can do street level views now, but it couldn't even last year.)

I hate to say it, but Apple are years behind. Google Now today can do a huge amount, and lot of it will work in any car, simply by mounting your device above the dash.

I still think Apple made a huge error giving Google maps the boot - they have a lot of catching up to do, in particular in the place naming accuracy and Street View department.
  • Reply 38 of 75
    jll wrote: »
    dugbug wrote: »
    @jll yes it was surmised (I think on AI?) that "iOS in the Car" is a form of airplay as far as the display goes
    The articles on AI about this all write about iOS in the Car as hardware. Daniel even speculates if it means that Apple will let others make iOS hardware.
    He should not. They won't. It isn't needed.
  • Reply 39 of 75
    nagrommenagromme Posts: 2,834member
    "Apple simply had more available to show than it intended to."

That evidence doesn't mean it was more than a mockup. That phrase applies equally if they simply mocked up more stuff than the ended up talking about.

Anyway--looking forward to next year! Apple Maps has been good to me, and I want it big on my dash!
  • Reply 40 of 75
    alfiejralfiejr Posts: 1,524member

Quote:

Originally Posted by bzzlink View Post

Example

Signal Strength

Battery power

Contacts

Ongoing call status

Playlists 

Albumart 

Currently playing info artist etc. (playlist albumart also works from 3rd party apps like Spotify)

no.

the big change is that the iOS7 UI - both touchscreen and Siri - will also be "built into" the car (even if actually running on your connected iOS device).

so what you then will have is a "virtual iPad in the car."

and with that comes the huge capability the iPod never had - additional apps that can do all sorts of things. i dunno how that potential will be used, but it's there.