Moving iTunes to External Drive

Posted:
in iPod + iTunes + AppleTV edited January 2014

Good Morning. Im getting close to using all of my hard drive space on my MacBookPro, most of it being used by movies and tv shows from itunes. I was thinking that Im going go move my iTunes folder from my MBP to the external drive.

I don't want to have any movies, tvshows or songs on my MBP, how will that affect me for airplay. I was reading somewhere that in order for me to use airplay I would have to leave the MBP on and connected to the external drive, is this correct?

Also if I were to travel somewhere and take my MBP, I wont have anything on my iTunes because it was disconnected from the external drive, but would I be able to put a movie or two on my MBP then delete them when I come back home?

If I make no sense, let me know so I can explain myself a little better.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 1
    MarvinMarvin Posts: 15,325moderator
    You can move everything over to an external but you would need to have it connected in order to stream movies from it. If you have a MBP with an SD card reader, one option would be to get a 64-128GB SD card and leave it in the slot. It should last long enough as you will mainly be reading from it and not writing to it. Just make sure to backup whatever is on it.

One option would be:

http://www.amazon.com/Kingston-Digital-Secure-SDX10V-128GB/dp/B0090J5XLS