Apple's Cook being pushed to innovate by board of directors, FOX report says

Comments

• Reply 41 of 160
    MacProMacPro Posts: 19,727member
    flaneur wrote: »
    Second time today I've read you quivering with lust over Apple's cash hoard. You just can't get that out of your mind, can you?

I have it from a reliable source that Apple is spending millions on battery R&D, as well as billions on display evolution, billions more on chip and memory development, and billions on a secret alternative communication network, right in plain view, but no one realizes what they are doing.

Least of all you, who will be one of the last to realize what they're doing. Their R&D is mainly invested in making products that the world hasn't seen before and that no one else can really copy well, because of the way they work, and the way people love them. You and your Wall Street philistine friends are oblivious to the intangible artfulness in any of Apple's products.

I wish you would flip the record over and let us hear the "B" side just once. Oh, and apologies to the Philistines.

You are addressing an agent provocateur, save your breath. But well said any way.
  • Reply 42 of 160

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mick Roberts View Post

I think what drives these pundits crazy is that fact that Apple is one of the most respected and admired brands in the world, but have the restraint to only focus on a few core products.

I think what is driving them NUTS is that TC has double-downed on security and they have nothing to report on...so they are now making things up.

• Reply 43 of 160
    g-noteg-note Posts: 39member
    Fox News journalism at its worst. This is just a story to spur ratings and attract hits to their website. This guy knows as much about what goes on in Apple board meetings that I do.
  • Reply 44 of 160
    So does everyone believe that Apple is still innovating?
  • Reply 45 of 160

Quote:

Originally Posted by anantksundaram View Post

That said, I can't say that SJ did a particularly good job on the Board front: a bunch of mediocrities, at best.

I don't know...SJ did push for Eric Schmidt to be on the board. You remember him; he's the guy that woke up on night and said, "Holy shit, I just dreamed of a new cell phone without any buttons! I must get my engineers on it right away!"

• Reply 46 of 160
    gatorguygatorguy Posts: 24,213member
    I don't know...SJ did push for Eric Schmidt to be on the board. You remember him; he's the guy that woke up on night and said, "Holy shit, I just dreamed of a new cell phone without any buttons! I must get my engineers on it right away!"

http://www.law360.com/articles/114713/schmidt-s-exit-won-t-end-ftc-probe-of-apple-google
  • Reply 47 of 160
    iqatedoiqatedo Posts: 1,823member

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dickprinter View Post

Butt-the-eff-out. I call BS.

Quote:

Originally Posted by PhilBoogie View Post

I don't think the board would talk to anyone on Apple matters outside of board meetings.

The Apple board of directors leaking to Fox news!

Quote:

Originally Posted by mdriftmeyer View Post

The Board has complete confidence in Apple's time line. This is BS.

From someone who'd be aware in ways that none of us (including Fox) could hope to be.

Quote:

Originally Posted by GTR View Post

It was actually the Samsung Board of Directors that have been pressuring Tim to innovate.

They desperately need their next new, 'innovative' idea, as you can only make a phone screen so big before it becomes a failing tablet...

Quote:

Originally Posted by mrrodriguez View Post

Trick question!

• Reply 48 of 160
    All joking aside, I seriously hope that TC and Apple's Board shrug off this laughable bit of tripe, and not to do an HP: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hewlett-Packard_spying_scandal

[B]That[/B] would be a disaster.
  • Reply 49 of 160
    sumergosumergo Posts: 215member

Quote:

Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

The Apple Board of Directors has concerns about the company's recent lack of innovation, says FOX Business News, and is reportedly leaning on chief executive Tim Cook to rectify the situation.

Gasparino

Citing to reliable sources, FBN senior correspondent Charlie Gasparino reports Apple's board is "deeply concerned" that a perceived dry period of unique products could hurt the company, and is applying pressure on Cook to innovate at a faster pace.

"What have they had lately? They have had the iPad, they've had a few other things, but they don't have anything innovating from what came from Steve Jobs," Gasparino said. "And that concern is basically manifesting into pressure on Tim Cook to basically innovate - do something fast."

While the Cupertino, Calif., company continues to unveil product refreshes at a regular pace, its last "innovative" device launch was the iPad mini in October of 2012.

Gasparino was quick to point out that Cook is not in danger of losing his job, but at the same time cautioned board room-level tensions sometimes lead to an executive leadership shakeup.

The FBN report seems somewhat premature considering Apple's usual release schedule, which saw the first iPod unveiled in 2001, the iPhone in 2007, the iPad in 2010 and the iPad mini in 2012. In the Mac space, Apple's MacBook Air debuted in 2008, while the Retina display MacBook Pro hit the market in 2012.

As for what Apple has in the pipeline, rumors are rampant as usual. In the near term, many expect a next-generation "iPhone 5" with an integrated fingerprint sensor and a low-cost "iPhone Lite" handset to debut as early as September. Some also see a next-generation iPad mini with Retina display and fifth-generation iPad to hit shelves this year.

In addition, the company showed off a much anticipated Mac Pro, with a radically redesigned case and cutting edge internals. Apple has yet to announce a timeline for the computer's release.

Future prospects include a new cable service-connected Apple TV product and a wearable computing device dubbed the "iWatch," both of which may see release in 2014.

Simply Fox "psuedo news" rubbish.  Don't even bother to give it any consideration.

• Reply 50 of 160
    Tim Cook: "Spell 'innovation' for me"

Journalist: "I_N_N_O_F_V_A_T_I_O_N"

Tim Cook: "There's no 'F' in innovation!"

Journalist: ....
  • Reply 51 of 160
    herbapouherbapou Posts: 2,228member

Fair and balanced...

Fox business News...

CREATOR: gd-jpeg v1.0 (using IJG JPEG v62), quality = 90

Any questions?

• Reply 52 of 160
    Well, the iPhone -- that was *doggone* good. The iPad .. *killed* the netbook market. Those are both pretty big. I think the fingerprint thing is going to be huge -- ha ha, not talking Wookie 'giant fingers' huge. Also the cheap iPhone will help. What are the guys in Taiwan going to be doing? Designing fab robots?

Anyway, this was not about the board being worried about TC. This was a concern about "perception". So ... this dogCow is going back to sleep, dudes!
  • Reply 53 of 160
    tallest skiltallest skil Posts: 43,388member
    The board has access to Apple's future pipeline (gives Eric Schmidt evil stare). They know what's coming.

I'd imagine that all future changes to both the members of the board and the status thereof will be met with intense scrutiny such that if they even get anywhere near an industry in which Apple exists they'll be outed immediately.
    tiger2 wrote: »
    I CANNOT understand why it should take so long to UPDATE a THUNDERBOLT DISPLAY PLEASE!

Because it's going retina.

Yes.
  • Reply 56 of 160
    richard getzrichard getz Posts: 1,142member

Next innovation will be 3-D printed entry level phones :P 

• Reply 57 of 160
    jonljonl Posts: 210member
    bcgersh wrote: »
    FYI Apple investors... this is the same guy that CLAIMED to be a Pulitzer Nominee in his bio and then had to drop the "nominee" part of his bio after being outed as being Full of Sh*t.

http://www.nbcnews.com/business/also-not-pulitzer-prize-nominee-charles-gasparino-fox-business-848286

Wait, when did O'Reilly start doing business "reporting"?
  • Reply 58 of 160

If I was the EP of this show, I would be writing my letter of resignation, especially after reading all these comments.

• Reply 59 of 160
    richard getzrichard getz Posts: 1,142member

Quote:

Originally Posted by MarkyMarc43 View Post

If I was the EP of this show, I would be writing my letter of resignation, especially after reading all these comments.

LOL someone is going to quite due to a message board, get real! 

• Reply 60 of 160
    rayzrayz Posts: 814member
    bcgersh wrote: »
    FYI Apple investors... this is the same guy that CLAIMED to be a Pulitzer Nominee in his bio and then had to drop the "nominee" part of his bio after being outed as being Full of Sh*t.

http://www.nbcnews.com/business/also-not-pulitzer-prize-nominee-charles-gasparino-fox-business-848286

Wow :no:

He just flat-out lied.