Rumor: More photos of alleged 'iPad 5' digitizer surface, show thinner bezels

2»

Comments

• Reply 21 of 31
    tribalogicaltribalogical Posts: 1,182member

Quote:

Originally Posted by virtua View Post

Cue Dom Jolly -"HELLO?!"

oh! um… I need that… to use as a blunt instrument on unsuspecting S4 users…! or a cricket bat.

yeahh, that's it... I forgot to mention that part...

that's the ticket...

• Reply 22 of 31
    thedbathedba Posts: 764member
    I'm not sure why Apple isn't headed in this direction. Thinner bezels are obviously possible. Also, why are they still touting the "Retina Display" as an advantage, when it's over 3 years old, and no longer a superior display?  :\
    <div id="user_myEventWatcherDiv" style="display:none;"> </div>
    That's the mistake that most people make when they compare nothing but individual specs. The number of megapixels is only part of the story. Contrast ratio, color saturation and color accuracy are three other specs that the general public tends to ignore. That's because they are far more difficult to understand than the much touted megapixel spec. Not so long ago, TV manufacturers were going all gaga about pushing their Full HD spec onto the unsuspecting public. Yet when compared, over at CNet, for overall picture quality, the Pioneer Kuro plasmas would come out on top, even though, the first generations of that TV were not "Full HD".
    That being said, the 9.7 inch iPad can avoid being eclipsed by its smaller cousin if Sir Jony's team, manages to shave off a few ounces to make it much closer to the 1lb. mark.
  • Reply 23 of 31
    crossladcrosslad Posts: 527member
    Plus the accuracy of the touch sensors underneath the screen. I have a Samsung Tab 2 7.0 and sometimes have to touch a link 3 or 4 times before it will respond. In fact it is easier to click links on my iPhone 3GS than on the Tab 2.

• Reply 24 of 31
    wow, that's the best looking bubblewrap app i've ever seen. it looks so real!
  • Reply 25 of 31
    kdarlingkdarling Posts: 1,640member

Quote:

Originally Posted by Crosslad View Post

Plus the accuracy of the touch sensors underneath the screen. I have a Samsung Tab 2 7.0 and sometimes have to touch a link 3 or 4 times before it will respond. In fact it is easier to click links on my iPhone 3GS than on the Tab 2.

That's not about touchscreen accuracy, but how the browser implements link target affinity in software.   In other words, whether or not it tries to calculate the most likely touch target.

I don't think the stock Android browser does that, but the later Android Chrome browser often auto-magnifies a target area to make it easier to choose.

• Reply 26 of 31

Is there really a need to triplicate the iPhone 10 image? Do people really enjoy making others scroll and scroll and scroll?

• Reply 27 of 31

Quote:

Originally Posted by KDarling View Post

That's not about touchscreen accuracy, but how the browser implements link target affinity in software.   

I believe that's implemented at a lower level than the browser. Furthermore, touchscreen accuracy or rather resolution is indeed an important factor. For whatever, it is one that is never discussed, leading the public to believe that discrepancies in multitouch performance to be an entirely OS issue.

• Reply 28 of 31
    flaneurflaneur Posts: 4,526member
    ascii wrote: »
    Why are they calling it the screen/digitizer? Can you press your thumb anywhere on the screen for recognition? 

Does the 'digitizer' refer to the capacitive touch screen of the iPad, or is Apple actually putting something like a Wacom Digitizer on the next iPad?

I just bought the 4th Gen. iPad this Wednesday and it is a joy to use after using the mini for many months. But if the next iPad has a Wacom Digitizer, then I'll be all over it.

Actually, I'll be all over it either way. It is just that, if it had a Digitizer, I'd buy it immediately. If it didn't, I'd probably wait a little longer.

So I think this is the iPad version of the ITO film-on-glass that was used in the iPad mini and which caused the production shortages last year in the weeks following the launch. (ITO is indium tin oxide).

They must have the production under control now. I haven't seen any reference to other companies using this presumably difficult bonding process, or any "digitizing" advantage, but there might be some. Mostly I've seen mentioned as the main advantage: you get rid of one layer of glass, and thus save thickness and weight.

Here's one article from a quick search:

http://news.softpedia.com/news/iPad-5-Will-Be-Thinner-and-Lighter-Thanks-to-DITO-Screen-DigiTimes-325855.shtml

"DITO" means dual ITO, and seems to be synonymous with "GF/2," which means glass-to-film two sided. Apparently the film is coated with ITO on two sides.

The display itself is the next layer. How you make a clean mating with the display glass onto the film is an interesting question for me. Also, it's more expensive than the previous glass sandwich, $200Au vs. about $100.

The reason that I'm posting all this detail about something which I really know nothing about first-hand is that I wish to ferret out any display experts out there. Waiting for corrections . . .

Edit: Did some searching about cover glass replacement and corrected accordingly.
  • Reply 29 of 31

buy Cheap Apple Imac

Ipad mini

Apple ipad 2

Apple Ipad 3rd

Apple iphone 4s

Apple iphone 5  just $300usd

Apple ipod touch 4th Generation

Apple macbook

Dell Alienware

Nokia Mobile Phone

Samsung galaxy s4 on sale