i nedd help switching!!

Posted:
in Genius Bar edited January 2014
hello all.

i'm just preparing my old wintel computer for the switch to my new imac.

now i have the problem how to export all my e-mail messages from outlook express on windows98 to mail on osx. there are no files visible and i think that there is a zipped file of all messages (???).

thanks for help...

Comments

• Reply 1 of 3
    rodukroduk Posts: 706member
    Depending on how your email client on your PC is configured, in particular whether messages remain on the email server after you have downloaded them, you may find you end up with all your (recent) emails on your Mac anyway.
  • Reply 2 of 3
    paulpaul Posts: 5,278member
    <a href="http://www.apple.com/switch/"; target="_blank">www.apple.com/switch/</a> has a section on transferring email...
  • Reply 3 of 3
    tulkastulkas Posts: 3,757member
    I was only able to get mmy messages from outlook express backed up in one way, which isn't covered at Apple's switchers site, that i was able to find. It involves using Outlook. Outlook express only offers the option of exporting to either Outlook or Exchange. I have Outlook also installed, so I exported them to that. Outlook them allows you to export each folder as an individual file, comma delineated or tab delineated. So, I am able to recover all my messages back onto my windows machine when I do a reinstall. I am not 100% percent sure if mail.app can then inport these files on OSX, but perhaps Entourage can. Then meybe you can export/import again from Entourage to mail.app. Lots of hoops to jump through, but such are the limits of OE.