Dallas Cowboys star sees birth of son thanks to Apple's FaceTime

Comments

• Reply 41 of 63

Did the NSA get to watch as well?

• Reply 42 of 63
    kdarlingkdarling Posts: 1,640member

Quote:

Originally Posted by Corrections View Post

Never mind that Skype is not free/open software but instead a proprietary black box. 

It'd be nice if its protocol was published, but at least Skype is usable across multiple platforms.  

Our extended family does use FaceTime when possible, but we're also glad that Skype's around, so that we can always view each other no matter what brand equipment is being used.

As for open, Steve Jobs said back in 2010 that FaceTime was going to be an open standard.  Whatever happened to that?

• Reply 43 of 63
    bigdaddypbigdaddyp Posts: 811member
    andysol wrote: »
    Oh childbirth of your own kid. The most beautiful disgusting thing you'll ever see.
    When our first kid was born I opted for a traditional "Irish" birth. It's where the wife was in a delivery room and I was safe from the sight and sounds of birth by being at my favorite watering hole. ;)

Seriously, some things are better left unseen.
  • Reply 44 of 63
    bigdaddyp wrote: »
    andysol wrote: »
    Oh childbirth of your own kid. The most beautiful disgusting thing you'll ever see.
    When our first kid was born I opted for a traditional "Irish" birth. It's where the wife was in a delivery room and I was safe from the sight and sounds of birth by being at my favorite watering hole. ;)

Seriously, some things are better left unseen.

Ha! When my wife went into labor... The hospital said to go home as it would be at least 12 hours...

I had dinner at some friends, played some games... I had six Yatzees.. My daughter was born before I got back to the hospital... Las Vegas 1964!
  • Reply 45 of 63
    jfanningjfanning Posts: 3,398member
    Never mind that Skype is not free/open software but instead a proprietary black box. Android fans only care about open on occasion. (see also Adobe Flash, Google apps)

So how is Apple getting on releasing those specs for Facetime?
  • Reply 46 of 63
    drblankdrblank Posts: 3,385member

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bondm16 View Post

Copy what? Facetime? you mean video calling which has existed for years before the iPhone and all smartphones, iOS and Android can run Skype.

Copy their ad campaign.  And Facetime is just another name for what Apple had realeased call iChat AV, which was released in 2003.  Lots of people were doing video conferencing, but Apple gave away iChat AV as part of the OS, now they just call it FaceTime.

Skype is another option, but Apple installs Facetime as standard and some prefer it.  Some prefer Skype.

To use Skype's premium features, ya gotta pay for it.  OUCH.

Pros and cons to both.

But I think we were referring to the ads.

• Reply 47 of 63

Quote:

Originally Posted by KDarling View Post

It'd be nice if its protocol was published, but at least Skype is usable across multiple platforms.  

Our extended family does use FaceTime when possible, but we're also glad that Skype's around, so that we can always view each other no matter what brand equipment is being used.

As for open, Steve Jobs said back in 2010 that FaceTime was going to be an open standard.  Whatever happened to that?

Maybe they were hoping that the PC crowd was going to take it and make it run on Windows using the same standards?  I don't know.  I always thought they should have made a Windows client, etc.  But obviously that hasn't happened, yet.  

Maybe someone needs to remind them that they need to develop other clients for other platforms.     

• Reply 48 of 63
    philboogie wrote: »
    I wonder how MS & Samsung are going to copy this¿
    Doesn't Microsoft already use Skype?Also they have had 3 years already to?

This is one of the few good things to FaceTime, however still limited to apple products so practically nobody can use it /s
  • Reply 49 of 63
    abazigalabazigal Posts: 114member

I find it ironic and amusing how this one little news report just inadvertently ended up being one of Apple's most successful marketing campaigns ever.

The second best thing? Apple didn't have a spend a cent. Celebrities left and right are practically walking advertisements for Apple products.

The best thing? Microsoft spent almost a billion, and they still can't come close to generating that same degree of goodwill and buzz. 

• Reply 50 of 63

Quote:

Originally Posted by Curtis Hannah View Post

This is one of the few good things to FaceTime, however still limited to apple products so practically nobody can use it /s

Microsoft bought Skype and paid a bloody fortune for them. It's Microsoft's answer to Facetime.  Maybe Apple needs to develop the Windows clients and then Skype will not needed.

• Reply 51 of 63
    drblank wrote: »
    Microsoft bought Skype and paid a bloody fortune for them. It's Microsoft's answer to Facetime.  Maybe Apple needs to develop the Windows clients and then Skype will not needed.

And Android, and PSP, and Windows Phone, and PS Vita etc etc clients
  • Reply 52 of 63

Quote:

Originally Posted by jfanning View Post

And Android, and PSP, and Windows Phone, and PS Vita etc etc clients

Nothing in the video mentioning that Apple was to develop the clients, I think its more of Apple making it an Open Standard so that OTHERS could develop the clients for which platforms they want to support.  So, maybe it's NOT Apple's fault, but of no one taking some time to develop the other clients.

If you are a developer or know of any, let them know here's the opportunity to make a name for themselves.

• Reply 53 of 63
    lostkiwilostkiwi Posts: 639member

Quote:

Originally Posted by drblank View Post

Nothing in the video mentioning that Apple was to develop the clients, I think its more of Apple making it an Open Standard so that OTHERS could develop the clients for which platforms they want to support.  So, maybe it's NOT Apple's fault, but of no one taking some time to develop the other clients.

If you are a developer or know of any, let them know here's the opportunity to make a name for themselves.

As far as I know they haven't released the source or opened Facetime up to any outsiders yet.

It's a pity as it is a much better platform than Skype (imho).  I used to spend a heck of a lot of screen time with people around the world and Skype has become progressively worse.  In fact I refuse to use the vidconf feature now unless it is an absolute emergency.  I used to grin and bear it when the encryption on Skype was actually worth anything but now...

The only time Skype comes in handy is for calling landlines/mobiles.  Cheap rates for when the internet isn't an option.

• Reply 54 of 63
    philboogiephilboogie Posts: 7,675member
    philboogie wrote: »
    I wonder how MS & Samsung are going to copy this¿

I am referring to the usefulness of their tech, and how it enriches peoples lives. Not referring to the alphabet soup of protocols used in video conferencing software. (Like H.264, AAC, SIP, STUN, TURN, ICE, NAT, RTP, SRTP, VoIP)

• Reply 55 of 63
    jragostajragosta Posts: 10,473member

As was explained earlier in this thread, that's exactly what Apple said. Apple never said that they'd offer FaceTime on any other platforms. They did say that they were going to make it an open standard.

At this point, we don't know if they actually followed through on that promise or maybe they did but no one picked it up. However, given how some developers like to support every possible format, I'd be surprised if the latter was the case. It looks like they never followed through on making it a standard. We also don't know if that's just due to their own decisions or limited by licensing issues.
  • Reply 56 of 63
    I do not care what any fan droid says. Apple hit a home run with there face time app. I use it every day to see my son and wife. The quality is truly amazing. Yes..I have used Skype, other apps, etc. NOT the same. No, Apple didn't invent video chat..they made it fun and easy to use. Face Time audio will be amazing as well( HD voice! C'mon..can't wait) I can always tell when people don't use Apple products. They don't get it. Which is ok..they weren't made for you. Stick with your cheap plastic, ridiculous bulking phones and talk about screen size..in the end that is what you have, a cheap paper weight. I will stick with the iPhone, with an amazing camera offering me the ability to seamlessly see and communicate with my family (we all love it),iMessage and Siri who organizes my life. You would think people would be celebrating this technology..instead of criticizing.
  • Reply 57 of 63

Quote:

Originally Posted by ifimple View Post

I do not care what any fan droid says. Apple hit a home run with there face time app. I use it every day to see my son and wife. The quality is truly amazing. Yes..I have used Skype, other apps, etc. NOT the same. No, Apple didn't invent video chat..they made it fun and easy to use. Face Time audio will be amazing as well( HD voice! C'mon..can't wait) I can always tell when people don't use Apple products. They don't get it. Which is ok..they weren't made for you. Stick with your cheap plastic, ridiculous bulking phones and talk about screen size..in the end that is what you have, a cheap paper weight. I will stick with the iPhone, with an amazing camera offering me the ability to seamlessly see and communicate with my family (we all love it),iMessage and Siri who organizes my life. You would think people would be celebrating this technology..instead of criticizing.

I think Apple was the first to integrate video cameras into their products and include the software as part of the base installation. But before that time, it was expensive specialty systems that did video conferencing and Apple does use Open Standards to do it.

• Reply 58 of 63

Nothing in the video mentioning that Apple was to develop the clients, I think its more of Apple making it an Open Standard so that OTHERS could develop the clients for which platforms they want to support.  So, maybe it's NOT Apple's fault, but of no one taking some time to develop the other clients

No the video didn't say anything, but you said "Maybe Apple needs to develop the Windows clients and then Skype will not needed", and since there is multiple platforms that can use Skype you would need to develop it for more than just Windows.
  • Reply 59 of 63

Quote:

Originally Posted by jfanning View Post

No the video didn't say anything, but you said "Maybe Apple needs to develop the Windows clients and then Skype will not needed", and since there is multiple platforms that can use Skype you would need to develop it for more than just Windows.

Well, the other clients would also be added,would be the logical assumption.

• Reply 60 of 63

Apple Ipad 3rd

Apple iphone 4s

Apple iphone 5  just $300usd

Apple ipod touch 4th Generation

Apple macbook

Dell Alienware

Nokia Mobile Phone

Samsung galaxy s4 on sale

YOU MUST NOT MISS IT!!!