T-Mobile to remove iPhone 5 and 4S from '$0 Down' sale as AT&T cuts 'Next' plan prices

Posted:
in iPhone edited January 2014
T-Mobile announced on Friday that it will be pulling Apple's iPhone 4S and iPhone 5 from its "zero-down" promotion, while AT&T revealed a price cut to iPhones purchased through its "Next" subscription plan.

iphone

According to an internal document, T-Mobile is selectively removing Apple's iPhone 4S and iPhone 5 from its "$0 Down" summer sale on Saturday, leaving only the iPhone 4 available for free on signing, reports TmoNews.

The document notes a coming change in iPhone 4S and iPhone 5 pricing makes the smartphones ineligible for the ongoing "$0 Down" sale. Under the revised structure, customers will pay $145.99 upfront for a 16GB iPhone 5, followed by payments of $21 per month for 24 months.

?As is the nature of promotions, pricing moves are temporary,? a T-Mobile representative told AllThingsD. "?However, combined with our Simple Choice plan, it?s easily one of the most affordable ways to purchase the latest iPhone."

No explanation was given as to why T-Mobile is no longer including the two iPhone models in its summer sale.

After announcing strong quarterly results on Thursday, CEO John Legere said T-Mobile's performance was thanks to the company's message and service, not the recent addition of the iPhone to the telecom's smartphone lineup. Apple's handset accounted for 21 percent of T-Mobile's smartphone sales for the quarter.

Countering T-Mobile's news on Friday, U.S. No. 2 carrier AT&T announced it is cutting the price of iPhones offered through its Next plan, including the latest iPhone 5. With Next, customers pay no upfront fees in exchange for a loss of carrier subsidies.

AT&T Next now offers a 16GB iPhone 5 for $0 down and 20 monthly payments of $27 per month.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 33
    tribalogicaltribalogical Posts: 1,182member
    Perhaps the impending iPhone "next gen" announcements are just around the corner?
  • Reply 2 of 33
    jpellinojpellino Posts: 697member
    And the Ballmer Memorial 20/200 Hindsight Prize goes to.. John Legere!

"After announcing strong quarterly results on Thursday, CEO John Legere said T-Mobile's performance was thanks to the company's message and service, not the recent addition of the iPhone to the telecom's smartphone lineup."
  • Reply 3 of 33
    davendaven Posts: 696member

I don't think that would be a reason but I do hope to see a new iPhone soon. I can't wait to dump Verizon as their signal is weak to non-existant where I'm now living.

• Reply 4 of 33
    dasanman69dasanman69 Posts: 13,002member
    [VIDEO]
  • Reply 5 of 33
    customtbcustomtb Posts: 346member
    We did things different last quarter and it worked so... We thought we would try something new
  • Reply 6 of 33
    vadaniavadania Posts: 425member

Quote:

Originally Posted by jpellino View Post

And the Ballmer Memorial 20/200 Hindsight Prize goes to.. John Legere!

Awesome!  :)

• Reply 7 of 33
    Hmm. T-Mobile had good sense and goodwill that lasted all of one quarter.

AT&T has competed them away on handset price, and Apple's probably not too thrilled at Legere.

I wouldn't be surprised if they're on the chopping block again soon.
  • Reply 8 of 33

Quote:

Originally Posted by anantksundaram View Post

Hmm. T-Mobile had good sense and goodwill that lasted all of one quarter.

AT&T has competed them away on handset price, and Apple's probably not too thrilled at Legere.

I wouldn't be surprised if they're on the chopping block again soon.

No, probably not.  If you take the fanaticism out of it then it's really not the best handset out there at the moment, so why advertise that you have a subpar product?  Ecosystem wise the iPhone is great, but how many people even know what that means?   The iPad is helping people understand the whole concept of an ecosystem, but the iPhone is falling behind... not perhaps in a realistic way, but a perceived way.

I'm seeing more and more iPads out in public and less and less iPhones (unfortunately in replace of a Galaxy) in public.  My guess is that screen size does matter to most.

One thing I used to chuckle with here was the quote "epic fail"  My prediction is that if AAPL doesn't release something at least competitive it will be epic.  This is the fourth time AAPL has hit $460 and dropped.  I love Apple just for that!

You really have to live outside of society to not understand the larger screen form factor at this point....

At this point I will say that AAPL does not understand New England.  It has lost the "race" or what ever you want to call it here.

• Reply 9 of 33

Quote:

Originally Posted by Vadania View Post

No, probably not.  If you take the fanaticism out of it then it's really not the best handset out there at the moment, so why advertise that you have a subpar product?  Ecosystem wise the iPhone is great, but how many people even know what that means?   The iPad is helping people understand the whole concept of an ecosystem, but the iPhone is falling behind... not perhaps in a realistic way, but a perceived way.

I'm seeing more and more iPads out in public and less and less iPhones (unfortunately in replace of a Galaxy) in public.  My guess is that screen size does matter to most.

One thing I used to chuckle with here was the quote "epic fail"  My prediction is that if AAPL doesn't release something at least competitive it will be epic.  This is the fourth time AAPL has hit $460 and dropped.  I love Apple just for that!

You really have to live outside of society to not understand the larger screen form factor at this point....

At this point I will say that AAPL does not understand New England.  It has lost the "race" or what ever you want to call it here.

Not that you want to hear it but Apple has turned into "the other" brand.  Which actually does mean something.  ..and yes we are teaching the older folks.  

• Reply 10 of 33
    vadania wrote: »
    you take the fanaticism out of it then it's really not the best handset out there at the moment, so why advertise that you have a subpar product?  Ecosystem wise the iPhone is great, but how many people even know what that means?   The iPad is helping people understand the whole concept of an ecosystem, but the iPhone is falling behind... not perhaps in a realistic way, but a perceived way.

Lost you at 'fanaticism.'

Ramble on.
  • Reply 11 of 33

Quote:

Ramble on.

On second read, yes.  That's usually where reasonable discussion ends.  Thanks for adding a (1) towards my research.  No, I do not always trust a web site, however in this case it has been proved to be scientifically factual.

• Reply 12 of 33

Quote:

Ramble on.

From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

"Fanatic" and "Fanatical" redirect here. For other uses, see Fanaticism (disambiguation).

The Fanactics of Tangier by Eugène DelacroixMinneapolis Institute of Arts

Fanaticism is a belief or behavior involving uncritical zeal, particularly for a religious or political cause or in some cases sports, or with an obsessive enthusiasm for a pastime or hobby. Philosopher George Santayana defines fanaticism as "redoubling your effort when you have forgotten your aim";[1] according to Winston Churchill, "A fanatic is one who can't change his mind and won't change the subject". By either description the fanatic displays very strict standards and little tolerance for contrary ideas or opinions.

In his book Crazy Talk, Stupid TalkNeil Postman states that "the key to all fanatical beliefs is that they are self-confirming....(some beliefs are) fanatical not because they are 'false', but because they are expressed in such a way that they can never be shown to be false."[2]

The behavior of a fan with overwhelming enthusiasm for a given subject is differentiated from the behavior of a fanatic by the fanatic's violation of prevailing social norms. Though the fan's behavior may be judged as odd or eccentric, it does not violate such norms.[3] A fanatic differs from acrank, in that a crank is defined as a person who holds a position or opinion which is so far from the norm as to appear ludicrous and/or probably wrong, such as a belief in a Flat Earth. In contrast, the subject of the fanatic's obsession may be "normal", such as an interest in religion or politics, except that the scale of the person's involvement, devotion, or obsession with the activity or cause is abnormal or disproportionate.

So you "guys" like to look up relative terms on such a rehearsed website.  Here is your popular definition of "Fanatic".  Please take a small (at least a moment here nor there towards thoughts of "Crank", which is literally almost every post on this site.

If I ever missed Sol, here it is.

• Reply 13 of 33

Quote:

Ramble on.

While I do like reading your thoughts, I have never seen you post anything that has been scientifically plausible in any aspect.  I'm amazed that you would use that towards me in a rather useless, almost personal, and completely unfounded post.

If you would like to discuss the merits of fanaticism, please let me know.  I may have a few years of knowledge that I could share properly.

• Reply 14 of 33

Quote:

Ramble on.

Read below, all though I may actually be the "fanatic" until you apparently have to deal with a person who has a different phone.  What do you do then?...

• Reply 15 of 33

Quote:

Originally Posted by CustomTB View Post

We did things different last quarter and it worked so... We thought we would try something new

Yes, and that was forgotten as soon as last quarter....

• Reply 16 of 33
    vadania wrote: »

If I ever missed Sol, here it is.

Sorry, if I misconstrued your post it's because I stopped reading.

I wish SolipsismX would return.
  • Reply 17 of 33
    dasanman69dasanman69 Posts: 13,002member
    Sorry, if I misconstrued your post it's because I stopped reading.

I wish SolipsismX would return.

I wish for his return as well. I learned quite a bit from him. I believe he's out of the country and expect his return once he's stateside again.
  • Reply 18 of 33
    dasanman69 wrote: »

I wish for his return as well. I learned quite a bit from him. I believe he's out of the country and expect his return once he's stateside again.

I have it on good authority that he's not returning.
  • Reply 19 of 33
    Somebody likes to listen to himself talk.
  • Reply 20 of 33
    My T-mobile dumb phone gets zero reception in my house anyway, will go with Verizon but will wait for Apple to make a bigger iPhone