Apple restores all Developer Center services after 3-week downtime

Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2014
Apple sent out emails to developers early Saturday saying all Developer Center services are back online, and that the company is extending a month membership to all teams to make up for the prolonged downtime.

Developer Center Online

The short update to developers, which apologizes for the service outage that lasted just over three weeks, comes five days after Apple announced plans to have the portal at full capacity by the end of this week.

A quick check of the system status webpage dedicated to the Dev Center confirms all functions are online.

Apple's Dev Center was taken offline on Jul. 18, though Apple waited one day before acknowledging the issue. It was later learned that "an intruder" compromised the website. All sensitive data was said to be encrypted.

Eight days later, Apple brought portions of the system back online and continued to roll out services until all functionality was restored on Saturday.

Apple has yet to reveal the identity of those responsible for the self-imposed downtime, but one researcher claimed responsibility shortly after the outage began in July.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 16
    Actually, despite the email, not all service are in fact up. It is currently not possible to transfer apps between developers.
  • Reply 2 of 16

Well they haven't quite restored everything. I renewed my membership on July 17th and the site still claims I'm about to expire (despite a link to the online store confirming otherwise).

Since I can't imagine that they had to "hand enter" my renewal once the confirmation was generated, I'm assuming this means they incurred a data loss on the membership database. :/

• Reply 3 of 16
    MacProMacPro Posts: 19,727member
    tikiman wrote: »
    Well they haven't quite restored everything. I renewed my membership on July 17th and the site still claims I'm about to expire (despite a link to the online store confirming otherwise).

Since I can't imagine that they had to "hand enter" my renewal once the confirmation was generated, I'm assuming this means they incurred a data loss on the membership database. :/

I am pretty confident it will be all sorted out just fine, no worries.
  • Reply 4 of 16

Yeah, except the data person in me asks "Why is the data missing? Did someone compromise the data? Did someone corrupt the data? Was the data not backed up? Do they even know there's a data loss? What else might be missing?" And then I start to think about allllll the possibilities. :D

• Reply 5 of 16
    pmzpmz Posts: 3,433member
    I still can't log in to my account and developer support has done nothing for me except give me the run around.

This is the worst Apple experience I've ever had. My account is utterly locked and they've just put me off telling my case is escalated. Meanwhile, all Dev service are back, and I still can't log in at all.
  • Reply 6 of 16
    asciiascii Posts: 5,936member

Hopefully they have learned their lesson now and will keep their patches up to date, not just in the Developer Centre, but in all their services. And not have SQL queries embedded in URLs that are executed without being sanitized first.

• Reply 7 of 16
    arlorarlor Posts: 532member

Some people were speculating that Apple might use the extended downtime to substantially upgrade the service. Have they?

• Reply 8 of 16

Quote:

Originally Posted by Arlor View Post

Some people were speculating that Apple might use the extended downtime to substantially upgrade the service. Have they?

Nothing jumps out at me.

• Reply 9 of 16
    rcfarcfa Posts: 1,124member
    Can't download doc sets within Xcode because I'm not "authorized" despite having both active iOS and OS X developer assets.
    Removing and re-adding the account in Xcode prefs doesn't help, so some things clearly are still bonked.
  • Reply 10 of 16
    fracfrac Posts: 480member
    pmz wrote: »
    I still can't log in to my account...
    Same here. Support asked me to try from another machine...and it logged in :rolleyes:
    Go figure.
  • Reply 11 of 16
    lkrupplkrupp Posts: 10,557member

Quote:

Originally Posted by Frac View Post

Same here. Support asked me to try from another machine...and it logged in image

Go figure.

Sounds like a cookie or cache problem to me.

• Reply 12 of 16

Very cheap price to  

buy Cheap Apple Imac

Ipad mini

Apple ipad 2

Apple Ipad 3rd

Apple iphone 4s

Apple iphone 5  just $300usd

BLUESHOPTRADING . COM

• Reply 13 of 16

Very cheap price to  

buy Cheap Apple Imac

Ipad mini

Apple ipad 2

Apple Ipad 3rd

Apple iphone 4s

Apple iphone 5  just $300usd

BLUESHOPTRADING . COM

• Reply 14 of 16
    fracfrac Posts: 480member
    lkrupp wrote: »
    Sounds like a cookie or cache problem to me.

Doh:..why didn't I....
    No, really. My development machine is cleaner than a virgin's conscience.:D
  • Reply 15 of 16
    philboogiephilboogie Posts: 7,675member
    Scheduled maintenance today; they sent out an email.
  • Reply 16 of 16
    jrg_ukjrg_uk Posts: 64member
    Still not entirely back to normal.

Seems their company checks (where they look up a new company-account in Dun & Bradstreet's database) are still not functional, here in the UK anyway: so new developer accounts are not actually being set up, yet.