T-Mobile CEO: Our message, not the iPhone, caused surge in customers

2»

Comments

  • Reply 21 of 30
    tbelltbell Posts: 3,146member

    Quote:

    Originally Posted by macxpress View Post


     


    Thats just the issue with T-Mobile. They're coverage sucks. They're still 2G here where I live. Everyone else is 4G LTE. Unless you live in a city you're screwed. I used to be on T-Mobile with an few Android phones and their coverage was never stellar. 



     


     


    Nationwide T-Mobile's data network in terms of speed came in second place just right behind AT&T. Verizon as third place. Sprint a distant fourth place. In Ann Arbor Michigan, T-Mobile has great coverage. 

  • Reply 22 of 30
    hmmhmm Posts: 3,405member

    Quote:

    Originally Posted by TBell View Post


    LOL. That is funny. 


     


    I tell you what as a T-Mobile customer I was pissed after it changed its original pricing around after a month. I was going to get an iPhone 5 on my birthday approximately a month after it was first offered. Without warning, however, it upped the price. 



    You used T-Mobile prior to that or they changed right before you wanted to sign up? I know they used to offer more 4G/HSPA data at $50/month, 1GB as opposed 512MB.


    Quote:

    Originally Posted by TBell View Post


     


     


    Nationwide T-Mobile's data network in terms of speed came in second place just right behind AT&T. Verizon as third place. Sprint a distant fourth place. In Ann Arbor Michigan, T-Mobile has great coverage. 





    You can't get stable service in some suburbs, especially inside buildings where Verizon is fine. It's not bad compared to AT&T though.

  • Reply 23 of 30
    jragostajragosta Posts: 10,473member
    ipilya wrote: »
    I held off on making my iPhone purchase for the T-Mobile Un-Carrier plan... I was willing to take the hit in network availability for the sake of having a somewhat low cost (By American Standards) unlimited plan. So it one way, I can see where he is right. But on the flip side, I would not have gone this route if they did not have the iPhone.

    Fortunately, there are alternatives where you don't have to sacrifice network availability. Straight Talk and Net 10 come to mind. $45 per month, unlimited everything and they use the networks of the major providers.
  • Reply 24 of 30
    adybadyb Posts: 201member

    Quote:

    Originally Posted by jragosta View Post





    Straight Talk and Net 10 come to mind. $45 per month, unlimited everything.......


    $45 per month - is that for SIM only? 


     


    If it is, how would unlimited data, 2000 minutes to any network, 5000 texts & 5000 minutes to your own network for the equivalent of $22 per month (£15) sound?

  • Reply 25 of 30
    macxpressmacxpress Posts: 5,256member

    Quote:

    Originally Posted by TBell View Post


     


     


    Nationwide T-Mobile's data network in terms of speed came in second place just right behind AT&T. Verizon as third place. Sprint a distant fourth place. In Ann Arbor Michigan, T-Mobile has great coverage. 



     


    I could care less how fast their coverage is. The fact of the matter is that getting a signal in a lot of places sucks and when you do its not anywhere near the quality of coverage of the others. Of course, Ann Arbor Michigan has great coverage, its a city. Try going it a rural area outside a city and see how great T-Mobile is. 

  • Reply 26 of 30

    Quote:

    Originally Posted by AdyB View Post


    $45 per month - is that for SIM only? 


     


    If it is, how would unlimited data, 2000 minutes to any network, 5000 texts & 5000 minutes to your own network for the equivalent of $22 per month (£15) sound?



    Yep... BYOP... SIM only, or buy one of their phones at retail price. No subsidy. 


     


    Straight Talk no longer sells AT&T-compatible SIM cards, so good luck if T-Mobile isn't good in your area. I switched to Net10 for two reasons. 1: Net10 is $5 per month cheaper for 2 phones; 2: Net10 doesn't cut you off for occasional streaming of data when using AT&T-compatible SIM cards, and they clearly state a data limit of 1.5GB per month, which I'm fine with. I'm not a data hog. 


     


    As with everything, read the fine print. Straight Talk just has a little more of it. 


     


    I'm still patiently waiting for T-Mobile to upgrade my area, the largest city between Pittsburgh and Harrisburg, to anything better than EDGE. As soon as they do, I'm jumping ship. I'd much rather have a phone that runs natively on a carrier, instead of using patches or hacks for iPhone data and MMS as with Net10 and Straight Talk. And, no, I won't pay full-price for a Verizon-spec iPhone that's almost useless outside of Straight Talk. If I'm paying that kind of money, I'm buying one unlocked direct from Apple and using the SIM of my choice. 

  • Reply 27 of 30

    Quote:

    Originally Posted by macxpress View Post


     


    I could care less how fast their coverage is. The fact of the matter is that getting a signal in a lot of places sucks and when you do its not anywhere near the quality of coverage of the others. Of course, Ann Arbor Michigan has great coverage, its a city. Try going it a rural area outside a city and see how great T-Mobile is. 



    People like that are like many tech journalists... they think the whole country lives in major cities, which also seems to be T-Mobile's thinking as well. Outside of their bubble of a big city, they have no idea that there are many smaller cities throughout the country that have a combined population in the millions. T-Mobile just plain sucks if you live in a city that's small enough that you have to say the name of the state it's in when brought up in conversation. Everyone knows where Pittsburgh, Phoenix, Los Angeles, Houston etc. are, without mention of their respective states. Those are the only places T-Mobile seems to want customers, even though we see TONS of T-Mobile commercials in my area...

  • Reply 28 of 30
    ipilyaipilya Posts: 195member

    Quote:

    Originally Posted by jragosta View Post





    Fortunately, there are alternatives where you don't have to sacrifice network availability. Straight Talk and Net 10 come to mind. $45 per month, unlimited everything and they use the networks of the major providers.


     


    @jragosta : Thanks for the info. I only have a few more months left here so no longer much of a help to me. 

  • Reply 29 of 30

    buy Cheap Apple Imac


    Ipad mini


    Apple ipad 2


    Apple Ipad 3rd


    Apple iphone 4s


    Apple iphone 5  just $300usd


     


    Apple ipod touch 4th Generation


    Apple macbook


    Dell Alienware


    Nokia Mobile Phone


    Samsung galaxy s4 on sale


    YOU MUST NOT MISS IT!!! 

  • Reply 30 of 30
    os2babaos2baba Posts: 262member

    Quote:

    Originally Posted by RedGeminiPA View Post


    People like that are like many tech journalists... they think the whole country lives in major cities, which also seems to be T-Mobile's thinking as well. Outside of their bubble of a big city, they have no idea that there are many smaller cities throughout the country that have a combined population in the millions. T-Mobile just plain sucks if you live in a city that's small enough that you have to say the name of the state it's in when brought up in conversation. Everyone knows where Pittsburgh, Phoenix, Los Angeles, Houston etc. are, without mention of their respective states. Those are the only places T-Mobile seems to want customers, even though we see TONS of T-Mobile commercials in my area...



     


    Less than 20% of US population is rural (http://www.census.gov/geo/reference/ua/urban-rural-2010.html).  At least 2500 people must live in an urban area.  I'm sure there are "urban" areas where T-Mobile does not work.  Obviously T-Mobile is going to go where they get the most bang for the buck.  I live in the suburbs of Atlanta and have never had any issue with T-Mobile.  Back when I was with AT&T, I had trouble all over Atlanta (and Cingular was based in Atlanta!).  I'm with Sprint now and their coverage sucks the most.  T-Mobile's first and second line are still too expensive if you have paid for a phone outright.  But you can't beat $25 per month unlimited talk+text+data (5GB HSPA+) per line.  For many, many people in the US, that's easily the best plan.  On top of that, their customer service and attitude is much better than either AT&T or Verizon.  As soon as the new Nexus comes along (or the Note 3), I'm off Sprint and on to T-Mobile.  I have always bought my phones outright and have not signed a contract for years now.  I keep changing providers and use Google Voice.  No one knows my mobile number so I can do this whenever I want.

Sign In or Register to comment.