Apple's 'iPhone 5S' to boast fingerprint sensor embedded in convex sapphire home button

Comments

• Reply 61 of 211
    jennajenna Posts: 1member
    What? The American Apple have to use the Korean's technology to be better than their competitions. Here we all thought Apple sets the trends.
  • Reply 62 of 211

• Reply 63 of 211
    dasanman69dasanman69 Posts: 13,002member
    Not if the fingerprint is needed to activate.

But I'm sure that there will be some type of override if the fingerprint gets damaged. A cut, burned or bruised finger could render it unreadable.
  • Reply 64 of 211

Quote:

Originally Posted by Constable Odo View Post

Samsung will probably offer a smartphone with similar technology shortly after the new iPhone is introduced and by early next year, all Android smartphones will have fingerprint sensors. Anything Apple does that becomes successful will be quickly copied by rivals and there's nothing Apple can do about it. I doubt any patent is airtight and as far as I can tell from past experience, Samsung can reverse engineer any component with the greatest of ease. That's one huge advantage Samsung has over Apple. They never have any qualms about copying rival's technology and in fact they're rather proud of that ability. Why reinvent the wheel if someone else already has one?

Constable Odo can be found huddled against the tiles walls of the Times Square - 42nd Street subway station receiving technical  information embedded in the screeching train wheel  to track noise. 

• Reply 65 of 211

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jenna View Post

What? The American Apple have to use the Korean's technology to be better than their competitions. Here we all thought Apple sets the trends.

Don't be silly. The only foreign technology Apple has bought since 1988 are Anobit (Israel), eMagic and Astarte (Gernamy), SchemaSoft, Poly9 and Locationary (Canada), Polar Rose (Sweden), and Redmatica (Italy).

No Korean companies there, buddy.

• Reply 66 of 211
    jragostajragosta Posts: 10,473member
    I don't know why people keep thinking your fingerprint will be stored somewhere as a simple image or that someone could copy it. Do you think passwords are stored as plain text? There will be a mathematical formula that converts your fingerprint into some type of data that can't be converted back to a fingerprint.

That's true on iOS. Apparently, however, Android uses plain text:
    http://slashdot.org/story/11/07/24/1715232/Android-Password-Data-Stored-In-Plain-Text
    http://www.intomobile.com/2010/09/20/rooted-android-passwords-plain-text/
  • Reply 67 of 211

Quote:

Originally Posted by Andysol View Post

Uhh... Then what? You press the solo cup on my iPhone?

Dust it like in CSI and read it.  You'd get the same info (probably more) as if you hacked the scanner on an iPhone 5S.  Do with the info as you see fit, but it is no more secure than that.

• Reply 68 of 211

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gazoobee View Post

No, they will still need the mechanical home button.  Replacing it with a capacitive button is a fail for various reasons that have been gone over many times before.  

Please enlighten us.... I don't see the fail.

• Reply 69 of 211
    lkrupplkrupp Posts: 10,557member

Whatever this is it had better work perfectly out of the box. Apple has boxed itself into a corner by not releasing any new products in something like 9 months. It looks like Apple will be releasing a broadside in the Fall and this had better be good. The critics and haters have been sharpening their knives and cleaning their handguns all Spring and Summer and are ready for Apple's offensive.

This fingerprint technology sounds complicated. I can just see the Apple discussion forums filling up with dimwits claiming it doesn't work for them because they have oily skin, or callouses, or disfigured fingertips, or some other weird reason they come up with. The "I can't log into my phone" chorus will be deafening and the tech blogs will be frenetic in nitpicking Apple to death. 

I have to say I have become more and more pessimistic about the future of mobile technology in general. Loading up hardware with feature after feature and loading up software with the same just to outdo the other guy is not innovation in my book.

• Reply 70 of 211
    Hopefully it is opt in to use fingerprint scanning instead of a passcode, it would be difficult for waterproof case manufacturers to make cases for it, and i need those cases sometimes
  • Reply 71 of 211
    philboogiephilboogie Posts: 7,675member
    vulcan747 wrote: »

Excellent point ¡
  • Reply 72 of 211

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jenna View Post

How about a warm welcome for Jena - Seoul Korea - who just signed up today.  Jenna, divest yourself of Samsung stock today for Apple is about to crush your

thieving,  no talent, dog of a company. 

• Reply 73 of 211
    gatorguygatorguy Posts: 24,213member
    lkrupp wrote: »

I have to say I have become more and more pessimistic about the future of mobile technology in general. Loading up hardware with feature after feature and loading up software with the same just to outdo the other guy is not innovation in my book.

I'm coming to the realization that since I started carrying a tablet I don't really use a smartphone for running apps or searching the web all that much, and certainly not if there's much reading involved. I'll just wait till I can get to a larger-screen device if I don't have one handy barring an "emergency". A 4" screen for me just doesn't cut it for a media consumption, or research device. Maybe if I mostly played games (apparently the biggest use of it for a lot of people) I might see it differently.

Now for those that can't afford or want both a tablet and smartphone then it's probably worth dealing with the limitations of a comparatively smallish display. Ya work with what ya got. For me the "magic" of a smartphone has been diminished by the recognition that even if I can run a spreadsheet on my phone do I really want to? Not really. I'll be better served by a smartphone that's first and foremost a phone with the best call quality, calling convenience and looonnng call-time battery life and not a tablet/laptop wannabe. As always YMMV.
  • Reply 74 of 211
    philboogiephilboogie Posts: 7,675member
    vulcan747 wrote: »
    jenna wrote: »
    How about a warm welcome for Jena - Seoul Korea - who just signed up today.  Jenna, divest yourself of Samsung stock today for Apple is about to crush your
    thieving,  no talent, dog of a company. 

Now now, bash on companies, not people.
  • Reply 75 of 211
    apple ][apple ][ Posts: 9,233member
    It's all coming together now, maybe.

iPhone 5C - Color
    iPhone 5S - Sapphire
  • Reply 76 of 211
    philboogie wrote: »
    Now now, bash on companies, not people.

Corporations are people too.
  • Reply 77 of 211
    mac_128mac_128 Posts: 3,454member
    dasanman69 wrote: »
    But I'm sure that there will be some type of override if the fingerprint gets damaged. A cut, burned or bruised finger could render it unreadable.
    Yes, and that's why requiring a fingerprint to activate it won't work. If I can't get to my phone and need some information from it, no one else would be able to access it -- which won't happen.

Besides, whether or not the home button is deactivated wont affect whether the physical mechanism can be depressed -- and that's the primary fail of my iPhone 4; the home button is "sticky" not reliably functioning the way it's supposed to (after a year), and that I have read is directly attributable to an underspeced part unable to withstand the constant use.

Also, if there's some sensor that requires the presence of a finger to activate, why have a physical button at all? Just a flat fixed plate where the home button was.

In fact that makes more sense than anything. Lose the physical button. Use the fingerprint to differentiate the space from the rest of the touch screen to avoid accidental activation.

Then again, how do people without hands or fingers use it? The current iPhone can be used with pointing devices. A fingerprint required to activate button would prevent this.
  • Reply 78 of 211
    gatorguygatorguy Posts: 24,213member
    apple ][ wrote: »
    Corporations are people too.

Love it when you show your softer side. :lol:
  • Reply 79 of 211
    mac_128 wrote: »
    Then again, how do people without hands or fingers use it? The current iPhone can be used with pointing devices. A fingerprint required to activate button would prevent this.

They probably have bigger problems than worrying about any phone.

Remember what Steve Jobs said under the keynote for the presentation for the iPhone, it uses the best input device in the world, and we all have them, we are born with them, 10 of them, our fingers. Apple makes devices for the masses, not for people with no hands.
  • Reply 80 of 211
    s.metcalf wrote: »
    In the light of the whole NSA Prism saga, does anyone now have concerns about a device that captures literally everything we say and everywhere we go and now with a fingerprint sensor to personally identify you?

Just saying...

Couldn't agree with you more. Might as well just submit to subdermal tagging now and get it over with.