Google now popping up new banner ads in iPhone Google Maps searches

1235»

Comments

• Reply 81 of 100

Quote:

Originally Posted by snova View Post

you are interesting.  You say you have SW problems in Mac OS X and you take the time to tell me your issues.. I respond and sincerely try to help you by taking my time telling you which one's I've seen before and offer possible solutions. Most all of the problems you state I have seen before are third party driver or HW related and not Apple software platform in my opinion.    However, you obviously don't really seem interested in fixing any of them, but instead seem to be bent on placing blame it on Apple SW and debating without actually getting to bottom of problems for which I offered solutions.  Thanks for wasting both of our time.

Stop attempting to use third party NAS with Time Machine. Use a Time Capsule or an external USB hard drive. Apple does not support ANY 3rd party NAS. Call the NAS vendor to get your problems to go away if you want to keep it.

Uninstall outdated Virtual Machine drivers and other third party drivers incompatible with Snow Leopard. 

Look at "pmset" link I sent you and make sure its set NOT to do hibernation for your Desktop iMac which is configured by some VM installers. 

Check for bad USB hardware like keyboard/mice and other accessories from preventing smooth wake from sleep. Unplug it all and start with a different keyboard/mouse if available. See if problems persist after cleaning out incompatible 3rd party drivers and VM drivers.

Don't login multiple users at the same time using multi-users sessions if you dont realistically have enough RAM to support it. 

I've been using Macs for a very long time and pretty much have used the majority of the Macs that Apple has sold which support OS X. I'm not trying to pull a fast one over on you. I'm being honest and sincere here about typical SW problems and solutions on the Mac OS X platform and want to help you.   Please dont waste our time spent thus far documenting your problems and possible solutions.  Please actually look at what I told you. If it works for you that would be great... you don't need to admit anything to me; you can keep it to yourself. 

However, If you are not willing to do at least try some of this fixes caused by 3rd party SW or HW, then please stop blaming the Apple SW team for problems they can not control. Its been my experience that the blame will likely misdirected based on your problem description thus far.  I mean you no offense or disrespect, just being straight with you and hope the same in return for the time spent on your issues.

You crack me up. What happened to "It Just works"

I've spent way too much time on these problems already with no result, so I'm not going to waste any more my time on any of your what if's and try this. Go to the mac support group there's 13 long pages regarding the sluggishness after wake issue with no resolution) Though I do appreciate you taking the time to make suggestions, I've been there done that and given up. I've resigned myself to the fact that this shitty behavior is just there (not on just one of macs but all 3) and maybe someday down the road a software update will fix them.

My systems are pretty vanilla, no real 3rd party software installed (other than firefox, skype, chrome, VLC). No Virtual machines and no multi users.

• Reply 82 of 100
    tribalogicaltribalogical Posts: 1,182member

Quote:

Originally Posted by patpatpat View Post

Wait, so... you're not looking for solutions. You just want to trot out the problems you're not going to fix, and use them as examples of how Mac doesn't 'just work'…?

When it "just works' 99.8% of the time", we get to say, "It just works". The relatively few instances of problems that do exist (typically related to third party software and hardware, although no-one will say that Apple's OS or software is 100% bug-free, so it's sometimes those too) are ALWAYS manageable, and if not, are typically solved by Apple with updates. 

That is the historical pattern. There are no cases where serious problems remain unresolved, and even minor cases are few and far between. 

You think that a) because it's common to you, and b) there are some other users experiencing similar issues, that it's a common problem.

Did it occur to you that perhaps you and they are in the extreme minority? THat perhaps you share some behavior in common? Perhaps using Time Capsule with unsupported systems? A setting somewhere? Incompatible software? I've had third party plugins for Logic Pro (Audio Units) crash my software in weird ways. Turns out they were competing for the same hard-wired memory space (contradicting the rules of good behavior in the process). Apple's bad? Nope. Difficult to isolate? Yes. Extremely. Worth doing anyway? Yes. Extremely.

Ignoring friendly advice form power users here tells me you not only don't care, but it calls your "tales" into question. I believe you, but any relevant insight could change everything for you. And yet, it's only about your point of "Apple is imperfect", and not about getting those problems solved?

Huh. So, are you done now? I sure am...

• Reply 83 of 100
    gatorguygatorguy Posts: 24,213member
    hill60 wrote: »
    Not much Blur in the Moto X, looks as vanilla as my Galaxy Nexus and my Nexus 4.

It's not stock Android. Kinda surprised you didn't know that. Certainly less "Blurry" than some past releases but absolutely not stock Android. Rumor has it there may be a stock "Google Play" version in the next few weeks.
  • Reply 84 of 100
    patpatpatpatpatpat Posts: 628member

Quote:

Originally Posted by tribalogical View Post

Wait, so... you're not looking for solutions. You just want to trot out the problems you're not going to fix, and use them as examples of how Mac doesn't 'just work'…?

Exactly, thank you for finally understanding. I was responding explicitly to a poster who claimed that software quality on Android was crap compared to Apple. I just gave a few instances of crappy software quality on apple to counter. I didn't come here asking for solutions, if you read my post fully you'll realize I have already spent enough fruitless time working on these issue and that they are issues still open in apples support discussion forum. Why should I fix apples problems. I've contributed to the apple forums with details and am hoping they will fix them some day. Make sense now?

• Reply 85 of 100
    snovasnova Posts: 1,281member

Quote:

The very first item  on your list was Time Machine support for a third party NAS does not work. The fact that this item would be the top item on your list says a lot about the fairness and opened minded image that you are trying to portray.   And yes,  I am sure there are plenty of people on Apple forums bitching about issues like this.  Does this make it Apple's SW quality issue that some NAS is doing a poor job of reverse engineering a Time Capsule?  Does the fact that Apple has a support forum and that it can show that people are using third party HW, SW and are having issues?  Yes, sure.. why not.  Does it prove that the majority of problems discussed on the forum  are result of Apple SW quality issue.  Good luck with that one. 

no sir.  It is you who crack me up.  What happened to "I am a reasonable and open-minded person.. look I have both Android and Apple products!!."  You are only here to debate to win a point, even if it means not solving your own problem by failing to get to the bottom of your issues.  Now that is funny!    You want to prove you are a reasonable and open-minded person??  tell me that your third party NAS problem is NOT Apple's problem. You have not, thus far. You continue to keep try to gloss over this fact.   Admit it.. show me you actually have a soul and some decency.  Otherwise , you can go pound sand along with your other "open minded" debates. That would have been the right thing to do.  You are welcome to call me out for never saying I was wrong or stand corrected on this forum. You would be wrong however. This is how you get respect, not sticking to a point and keeping your blinders on when you are obviously wrong about the 3rd party NAS problem being Apple's Time Machine problem.

Did you even try the pmset command on your iMac to make sure it was not set for hybernation mode? (i.e. save RAM to Disk/restore from DISK to RAM at sleep/wake).  This would easily explain your 5 sec wake delay. LIkely not,  because that would open you up to being wrong and hurting your ego;  that would be worse than fixing your problem (if it actually even still exists). How sad. 

• Reply 86 of 100
    patpatpatpatpatpat Posts: 628member

Quote:

The very first item  on your list was Time Machine support for a third party NAS does not work. 

No it wasn't.. it was..

* constant time machine failures while backing up to external  NAS

It works "often"  but often fails. It's constant in it fails at least once a week. I also did not order my list 1,2,3, nor did I say the list was ordered.

I also never made any mention of a 5 second wake delay, your imagination is running wild. I mentioned 2 separate issues, 

* macbook Pro unresponsive on wake from sleep

* takes about 5 seconds from when I hit the volume button on iMac for the UI to respond

one happens on my imac the other on my macbook pro. Somehow in your desire to fix all my osx woes you have imagined a non-existing issue that you are somehow able to fix for me.

Stop reading between the lines just to make your silly point, it's getting just a bit sad. 

• Reply 87 of 100
    hill60hill60 Posts: 6,992member

Quote:

Before google could only collect data if you used their servers.. Now they are on client side. They can get data from your gps and chrome browser. Would not be hard to exam where your phone is most days during a period of a month time after sun goes down and during the work day. Also not hard to figure out what web sites you browse to without using google search. Give it some thought. You will see how being on the client side gives them more visibility then simple waiting until you used their servers before with a PC or Mac. Dashboard won't show you the client side data they are gathering on you, just the server side. It would be very hard to cross reference this client data to the server data already collected about you to figure out who you are.

I don't use Chrome, apart from on my Android devices which I rarely use for browsing.

I have created a schism.

• Reply 88 of 100

Quote:

Originally Posted by Wiggin View Post

I'm not sure if you are asking a serious question of just being deliberately argumentative. In case you are seriously thinking it's a valid question, I'll give you a clue...how much of that money that Samsung and HTC collects do you think Google gets?

Well, if someone wants to bring up the "Apple/overpriced" argument as the reason for Apple not requiring advertising in their maps, then they can expect the flaw in their argument to be pointed out.

If Android was truly "open", owned and controlled by the "Open Handset Alliance", then what Google gets is irrelevant.

• Reply 89 of 100
    snovasnova Posts: 1,281member

Quote:

Originally Posted by hill60 View Post

I don't use Chrome, apart from on my Android devices which I rarely use for browsing.

I have created a schism.

sorry.. I thought we were talking about your Android devices. Were you not saying that it was your Android devices who are telling you when you are at work or home, even though you did not tell them where you work or live?

• Reply 90 of 100

Quote:

Exactly, thank you for finally understanding. I was responding explicitly to a poster who claimed that software quality on Android was crap compared to Apple. I just gave a few instances of crappy software quality on apple to counter. I didn't come here asking for solutions, if you read my post fully you'll realize I have already spent enough fruitless time working on these issue and that they are issues still open in apples support discussion forum. Why should I fix apples problems. I've contributed to the apple forums with details and am hoping they will fix them some day. Make sense now?

And you conveniently skipped the part of my contribution that suggested (probably rightly, in my experience) that it isn't likely Apple's problems that need fixing, but rather likely something introduced by 3rd party software, incompatibilities between certain software and settings, a general "cleaning" needed (caches, DRAM resets perhaps), basic maintenance and a few checks of installed software, drivers, etc. More than once I've had system "irregularities" cleared up by removing a driver I downloaded and installed from some manufacturer or another, and the like… but, you just don't want to hear that.

Bottom line is this: I've also had enough time on Android devices to know that the software is generally far less "robust" than iOS, that the apps I've encountered on that platform are indeed "crap" by comparison, and I wouldn't put as much dependence on that system as I would my Apple-created mobile devices..

Meanwhile, you're comparing a full-featured desktop Operating System (nearly server-class "software") to a mobile device OS. Right. 

You've belabored the point of how much "fruitless time" you've spent chasing some non-specified "solutions" to no avail, and leave the issue squarely in Apple's Responsibility Pile. Even though multiple 'power users' here have instantly piped up saying "we might be able to help." and "it probably isn't an "apple" issue".

Based on all your responses though, I imagine that would be an exercise in real futility, because you're apparently hellbent to KEEP your problems alive, so you can moan about them in forums like these… I formally withdraw any implied willingness to help.

Yes. It definitely makes sense now. Thank you.

• Reply 91 of 100

Quote:

No it wasn't.. it was..

* constant time machine failures while backing up to external  NAS

Stop reading between the lines just to make your silly point, it's getting just a bit sad. 

Um you DO know the difference between "paraphrasing" and "reading between the lines", right?

Paraphrasing your words doesn't alter the validity of his response regarding third party NAS devices (which you so conveniently ignored). What about that, hm?

I'm starting to think that maybe you and "dasanman69" are one and the same person… might as well be. Seriously...

• Reply 92 of 100

Um you DO know the difference between "paraphrasing" and "reading between the lines", right?

Paraphrasing your words doesn't alter the validity of his response regarding third party NAS devices (which you so conveniently ignored). What about that, hm?

I'm starting to think that maybe you and "dasanman69" are one and the same person… might as well be. Seriously...

Paranoid, much!
  • Reply 93 of 100
    dasanman69dasanman69 Posts: 13,002member

Nope. I have no idea what a NAS is nor would I ever pretend that I did.
  • Reply 94 of 100
    tallest skiltallest skil Posts: 43,388member

Originally Posted by dasanman69 View Post

I have no idea what a NAS is

*low whistle*

• Reply 95 of 100
    philboogiephilboogie Posts: 7,675member
    Not Applicable 2 Some
  • Reply 96 of 100

Quote:

sorry.. I thought we were talking about your Android devices. Were you not saying that it was your Android devices who are telling you when you are at work or home, even though you did not tell them where you work or live?

Yes under a different account.

It seems all the promotors of Android don't want to be told that the emperor has no clothes.

• Reply 97 of 100
  • Reply 98 of 100
    os2babaos2baba Posts: 262member

Quote:

Originally Posted by drblank View Post

And maybe because Google's OS is too open where malware is EASILY written, whereas Apple takes a more serious stance on protecting their users from an onslaught of malware.  And do you think that getting exposed to malware and security problems is good for the users?  I don't, that's why I prefer Apple's OS, far less likely to get malware, Google's OS has too many.....

Oh well, you have to admit that Android OS is malware infested and if you don't, then you are either stupid, ignorant or just plain living in denial.  Too many security firms tracking malware types for all platforms, and it has little to do with market share since even Symbian, which has less market share than Windows phones has malware attacks.  Apple is definitely successful enough for the anti-apple folks to want to write malware, only some forms of malware can't be written in the first place and Apple gives it's users a safe place to obtain malware free apps.

Most of the press coverage went to the charger that installed "malware" on the iPhone.  For me, the real problem with iOS is the malware they introduced in an app in iTunes. 

http://www.gatech.edu/newsroom/release.html?nid=225501

This is not the first time it has happened. Charlie Miller did the same last year.  Both are researchers and it came to light only after they revealed it themselves.  there have been other apps (like the Camera+ app) that was approved and then removed because it was doing something useful with the volume keys, but violated Apple's terms.  The problem with iOS is that there is no way for you to know how many malware apps are really on the phone and have successfully gone through the approval process.  You can bet, those apps are not going to advertize the fact.  With Android, you see the permissions used (and with the new permission manager built into 4.3, you can even line item veto them).  I have never had a single malware on any of my Android devices in the 5 years I have been using them.  I download these security apps and check every now and then and they have never found a thing.  I of course immediately uninstall them.  I have no doubt that there are apps on Warez sites that have malware in them.  And as far as I'm concerned, for the people who pirate apps, serves them right!

If you are not savvy enough to avoid phishing or pay attention to permissions, then at least if you are using the Play Store and haven't enabled unknown sources (the default), then you are reasonably safe.  That of course doesn't prevent spyware on the phone.  But then, nor does the iPhone.

• Reply 99 of 100
    drblankdrblank Posts: 3,385member

Quote:

Originally Posted by os2baba View Post

Most of the press coverage went to the charger that installed "malware" on the iPhone.  For me, the real problem with iOS is the malware they introduced in an app in iTunes. 

This is not the first time it has happened. Charlie Miller did the same last year.  Both are researchers and it came to light only after they revealed it themselves.  there have been other apps (like the Camera+ app) that was approved and then removed because it was doing something useful with the volume keys, but violated Apple's terms.  The problem with iOS is that there is no way for you to know how many malware apps are really on the phone and have successfully gone through the approval process.  You can bet, those apps are not going to advertize the fact.  With Android, you see the permissions used (and with the new permission manager built into 4.3, you can even line item veto them).  I have never had a single malware on any of my Android devices in the 5 years I have been using them.  I download these security apps and check every now and then and they have never found a thing.  I of course immediately uninstall them.  I have no doubt that there are apps on Warez sites that have malware in them.  And as far as I'm concerned, for the people who pirate apps, serves them right!

If you are not savvy enough to avoid phishing or pay attention to permissions, then at least if you are using the Play Store and haven't enabled unknown sources (the default), then you are reasonably safe.  That of course doesn't prevent spyware on the phone.  But then, nor does the iPhone.

Well, the charger method seems to be when you use a third party charger.   Well, I hate to say this, but I don't buy third party chargers from some cheap asian company just to save a couple of bucks, so I won't ever run into that.

As far as the other method, why does Apple have to release something?  If they found a way to detect apps through the app store to prevent those apps from being posted, or have done something to the OS, then do they have to say anything?  I'm not really worried about that because any time a malicious app is found out, it gets published and then I can deal with it.  But it is so rare when malware is detected on a Apple OS, it's NOT a daily occurrence. 

Well, I check many different security firms to see what malware is detected and every time I read a report, there seems to be mostly Android based and iOS malware doesn't seem to be popping up, that's where I look to find malware on various platforms.

• Reply 100 of 100
    drblankdrblank Posts: 3,385member

Quote:

Originally Posted by os2baba View Post

Maybe the charger issue is resolved with the Lightning enabled chargers since they can detect illegal versions due to the embedded chip.  Could that be possible? While some people think it's a way for Apple to make more money, Apple might have done it to prevent rip off products that might contain malware?  Hmmm.