Android gets Find My iPhone-like feature 3 years after Apple

13»

Comments

• Reply 41 of 58
    bondm16bondm16 Posts: 141member

I do not wish to pick sides here but yes iOS existed before Android but when Android came out it did have some features which iOS got some time later. I will pick 2 for example. 1) The Original iPhone couldnt send MMS for a while but the first touch screen Android phones could. (I know, i had the first iPhone) and 2) The Galaxy S had built in navigation with turn by turn directions. Apple adds new features to iOS but seems to execute them in a more polished form.

• Reply 42 of 58

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

Nope, but since you seem more interested in personal attacks than proving your points. image

Proof? Okay - let's go through the features I mentioned.

NFC

Android: December 2010 (2.3, Nexus S)

iOS: still awaited

Keyboard with word prediction (here I mean a keyboard which intelligently predicts the next word and allows the user to choose from a list)

Android: October 2009 (2.0)

Pattern unlock

Android: April 2009 (1.5), possibly earlier

Full widget support

Android: April 2009 (1.5)

One-tap settings access

Android: in notification area - November 2012 (4.2); as widget - April 2009 (1.5)

iOS: autumn 2013 (7.0)

Turn-by-turn navigation

iOS: September 2012 (6.0)

You don't have to take my word for it. All of this information is out there on the internet. Now how about you apologise for repeatedly accusing me of being a liar?

• Reply 43 of 58
    drblankdrblank Posts: 3,385member

Quote:

Originally Posted by Euphonious View Post

Proof? Okay - let's go through the features I mentioned.

NFC

Keyboard with word prediction (here I mean a keyboard which intelligently predicts the next word and allows the user to choose from a list)

Pattern unlock

Full widget support

One-tap settings access

Android: in notification area - November 2012 (4.2); as widget - April 2009 (1.5)

Turn-by-turn navigation

You don't have to take my word for it. All of this information is out there on the internet. Now how about you apologise for repeatedly accusing me of being a liar?

Apple was relying on Google for Maps because Apple was just letting Google do that, but Google (AS USUAL) was not getting the iOS version up to speed because they are trying to use it as a ploy to sucker people into buying Android phones instead, so Apple decided to create their own and instead of waiting until it was more accurate, they brought it out when they did.

GOOGLE WAS NEVER THE FIRST MAPS company. Others were doing it, Ever hear of MapQuest?

why spend money to put an NFC chip inside, have some security problems until they figure out that it's actually needed and make it secure?  There were NFC hacks on NFC, so that wasn't such a bright idea to bring it out and have a security problem when most users that have a NFC hardly actually use it.  Apple decided to wait until it was more widely accepted, if they don't need it, then why have it?

How about Find your Phone? Does Google have that? I don't think Google has that. Samsung has it, but you have to pay $30 a year for it.  OUCH.

Widget support?  I don't know about you, but I have Android users that have told me that they hate widgets, they don't find it useful, they find it annoying. And this was told to me by a hardcore Android users COMPLETELY unsolicited response from him.

Poor updating practices by the OEM vendors. PISS POOR SECURITY dating back to 1.6 that each major version STILL has not addressed.

How about crappy AMOLED screens that burn out?  Sudden Death Syndrome on S3's?  The TOP platform with the most malware.

• Reply 44 of 58

Quote:

Because it's a lie.

And it is.

But most is.

Android didn't even exist before iPhone OS did. You are lying.

Take your lies and shove them. I refuse to accept lies about Apple, is all.

Nope, but since you seem more interested in personal attacks than proving your points. image

They had Android phones before the IPhone, but they all had a physical keyboard and it wasn't owned by Google until after Eric Schmidt found out what Apple was working on about 2 1/2 years before the iPhone was actually introduced, but because Apple spends a lot of time and money on developing the hardware and other apps like Garage Band, iWork, etc.  they had a lot more on the plate since Google doesn't design hardware. Plus a lot of Google apps have been taken away due to lack of interest.  Apple has podcasts which Google tried, but failed.

• Reply 45 of 58

Quote:

Originally Posted by drblank View Post

Google (AS USUAL) was not getting the iOS version up to speed because they are trying to use it as a ploy to sucker people into buying Android phones instead

So now you're demonising Google for doing sensible business. What was it supposed to do - eliminate a competitive advantage by releasing features on iOS first?

Quote:

GOOGLE WAS NEVER THE FIRST MAPS company. Others were doing it, Ever hear of MapQuest?

I never said it was the first maps company. I said that Android had turn-by-turn before iOS. Stop reading things into my posts which aren't there.

Quote:

How about Find your Phone? Does Google have that?

I don't think so. I didn't say that Android got every feature first...

Quote:

Widget support?  I don't know about you, but I have Android users that have told me that they hate widgets, they don't find it useful, they find it annoying. 

What is that anecdotal evidence supposed to mean? It doesn't change the fact that the feature is there, it's quite high-profile, and many people use it.

Quote:

How about crappy AMOLED screens that burn out?  Sudden Death Syndrome on S3's?  

Again, what is your point? All phones have hardware issues sometimes. How about the iPhone 4 antenna? How about breaking home buttons?

Besides, I was comparing Android and iOS, not any specific phone.

• Reply 46 of 58
    tallest skiltallest skil Posts: 43,388member
    euphonious wrote: »

Thanks for the lies. My point's proven.
    Now how about you apologize for repeatedly accusing me of being a liar?

Stop being one first.
  • Reply 47 of 58

Quote:

Thanks for the lies. My point's proven.

Stop being one first.

I don't want to pick sides so I hope what I say next is what others are thinking.

ENOUGH...Pack it in the pair of you. Android had some features before iOS did. iOS has features Android doesn't have...So what. You choose the OS that suits your needs and that you are most comfortable with. Can we end this bickering now?

• Reply 48 of 58
    bondm16 wrote: »
    Can we end this bickering now?

Not until the theft is legally atoned.
  • Reply 49 of 58
    MarvinMarvin Posts: 15,326moderator
    NFC

NFC isn't popular:

http://techcrunch.com/2013/06/12/nfc/

Of course Google fans in the comments think it's great:

"I think people think it's pretty cool. Every time I use Google wallet people pretty much drop their jaws at how cool it is."

He thinks other people are impressed by it (common among Android users) but usage is dropping:

http://www.computerweekly.com/news/2240185434/Worldwide-mobile-payment-value-to-jump-44-but-NFC-plunges

"the value of near-field communications (NFC) transactions is expected to drop by 40% due to disappointing adoption. Gartner expects NFC will account for only about 2% of total transaction value in 2013 and 5% of the total transaction value in 2017. Gartner said the fall in NFC payments is due to “disappointing adoption of NFC technology in all markets in 2012 and the fact that some high-profile services, such as Google Wallet and Isis, are struggling to gain traction"

Again, where's the need? It doesn't have a Swype keyboard either but people are sending messages just fine without them. I really don't think iOS users are waiting for Android features the way that Android users think they are.
    Pattern unlock

Full widget support

Not essential items. If they get fingerprint unlock, that's better than pattern unlock. I don't think Apple will move away from the icon grid and rightly so. iOS 7 is the big redesign and if they were going to do widgets, they'd have done it in iOS 7. Some people think widgets are better than the icon grid, I personally don't. Widget home screens just don't display that much meaningful information. They allow more visual customization, which is nice but it also allows users to make very ugly home screens.

People would jump at the chance to suggest Apple is copying Android too if they ever made widget home screens.
    One-tap settings access

The notification panel itself was also first on Android.
    Turn-by-turn navigation

iOS had Tom Tom in 2009:

http://www.engadget.com/2009/06/08/apple-partners-with-tomtom-to-bring-real-navigation-to-iphone/

Google's navigation didn't launch worldwide in 2009 and it wasn't offline so if your signal got cut off, maps that weren't cached just didn't load. Android didn't get the Tom Tom app until 2012 so Apple had it 3 years ahead of Android, although there were alternative apps that launched earlier:

• Reply 50 of 58

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bondm16 View Post

I don't want to pick sides so I hope what I say next is what others are thinking.

ENOUGH...Pack it in the pair of you. Android had some features before iOS did. iOS has features Android doesn't have...So what. You choose the OS that suits your needs and that you are most comfortable with. Can we end this bickering now?

The Android users are just bent out of shape because Apple makes more profit on their products because Apple's not trying to BUY market share.  well,  I would end it when the Android users do one of two things.  1.  LEAVE.  2. Admit that their platform HAS a TON of malware, it's NOT very secure, is NOT that easy to use, is NOT consistent from version to version, brand/model to brand/model smartphone, has a PISS POOR updating practice where there is literally only tiny number of model phones that actually ship with the latest OS and will always have the latest OS, and that the selection of apps for Andriod isn't as big or a good as iOS and they the level of support sucks.  

I think that would do it for now. I know I could come up with valid reasons why Android sucks.  But I've got other things to do.

So, which one is it?  1 or 2?

• Reply 51 of 58

Quote:

Not until the theft is legally atoned.

Theft? Can you explain why that has anything to do with you calling each other liars?

• Reply 52 of 58

Quote:

The Android users are just bent out of shape because Apple makes more profit on their products because Apple's not trying to BUY market share.  well,  I would end it when the Android users do one of two things.  1.  LEAVE.  2. Admit that their platform HAS a TON of malware, it's NOT very secure, is NOT that easy to use, is NOT consistent from version to version, brand/model to brand/model smartphone, has a PISS POOR updating practice where there is literally only tiny number of model phones that actually ship with the latest OS and will always have the latest OS, and that the selection of apps for Andriod isn't as big or a good as iOS and they the level of support sucks.  

I think that would do it for now. I know I could come up with valid reasons why Android sucks.  But I've got other things to do.

So, which one is it?  1 or 2?

Why are you asking me to choose?

• Reply 53 of 58

Theft? Can you explain why that has anything to do with you calling each other liars?

Sure: read the posts. image

• Reply 54 of 58

Quote:

Sure: read the posts. image

OK. One thing i dont get is this:

Android did get all of those features before iOS did.

Android didn't even exist before iPhone OS did. You are lying.

Android existed before iOS but it was very Blackberry like till it was bought by Google and changed to what we see now.(See quote below from Wikipeadia)  But what he was getting at, Android got a number of features before they were added to iOS.  Video calling, MMS, Built in Navigation, Quick settings access, drop down notifications, NFC.

Android (/?æn.dr??d/an-droyd) is a Linux-based operating system designed primarily for touchscreen mobile devices such as smartphones and tablet computers. Initially developed by Android, Inc., which Google backed financially and later bought in 2005, Android was unveiled in 2007 along with the founding of the Open Handset Alliance: a consortium of hardware, software, and telecommunication companies devoted to advancing open standards for mobile devices. The first Android-powered phone was sold in October 2008.

• Reply 55 of 58
    The ability to find a phone has been available to Android users as early as 2009 without rooting the device. Flexilis first released this feature for Windows Mobile and then shortly for Android. You could always locate your phone, cause it to scream or wipe your phone.
  • Reply 56 of 58

Quote:

Why are you asking me to choose?

Because you are bothering people if you stay and try to promote Android here.  This is an Apple-centric stie.

I don't go on Android sites making comments, not that I can't, it's just that I don't bother them.

• Reply 57 of 58

Quote:

Because you are bothering people if you stay and try to promote Android here.  This is an Apple-centric stie.

I don't go on Android sites making comments, not that I can't, it's just that I don't bother them.

What you do is of course your own business but I cant see how I am promoting Android if I merely correct someone who claims, for example, iOS got a feature before Android when history and information in the public domain clearly states otherwise. As much we love Apple and its products, we cant go around saying things that are a) not true and  that b) anyone can find out and make use look bad.  I apologise if I have bothered anyone. I shall say no more on this issue.

• Reply 58 of 58