Apple's 'iPhone 5S' to boast fingerprint sensor embedded in convex sapphire home button

Comments

• Reply 121 of 211
    gazoobeegazoobee Posts: 3,754member

Quote:

Originally Posted by noirdesir View Post

The US has been requiring biometric features in passports for every foreigner entering the US (in addition they also take the finger prints of every foreigner entering the US, at every entry, every time and they store those fingerprints). ...

Sorry, but this isn't true at all.  I know lots of folks that go to the states all the time and they don't get fingerprinted at the border.  

Also, very few other countries (including most "western" countries) have biometric passports of any kind.  

You are saying that those people don't get in at all?  The implication from your statement is that the US is closed except to the "foreigners" of two or three nations, worldwide. 

• Reply 122 of 211
    tallest skiltallest skil Posts: 43,388member

Originally Posted by Waikobloa View Post

How much is the sapphire going to be worth?

It's not an actual sapphire…

Originally Posted by cwoloszynski View Post

Please enlighten us.... I don't see the fail.

You will when an app locks up and you can't get out of it. Ever.

• Reply 123 of 211
    The sensor from Authentech does not provide a traditional fingerprint read; it provides a unique biometric that the system can use to confirm is yours.  In fact, it likely only stores a hash of the measurement to compare with.  I doubt the fingerprint details ever get out of the sensor for a hacker to even read.

Besides, anyone who wants  your fingerprint can get it off just about anything you touch.  Red Solo cups (and some beer) and I have your fingerprint.  
    Correct. And the hash is mathematically one-way. You cannot derive the fingerprint from it.
  • Reply 124 of 211
    eriamjheriamjh Posts: 1,645member

What if the raised button isn't a button?

• Reply 125 of 211
    dasanman69dasanman69 Posts: 13,002member
    It's not an actual sapphire…

It indeed is, it's just manfacturered instead of natural occurring.
  • Reply 126 of 211
    tallest skiltallest skil Posts: 43,388member

Originally Posted by dasanman69 View Post

It indeed is, it's just manfacturered instead of natural occurring.

Yeah, not in the sense that he means.

• Reply 127 of 211
    noirdesirnoirdesir Posts: 1,027member

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gazoobee View Post

Sorry, but this isn't true at all.  I know lots of folks that go to the states all the time and they don't get fingerprinted at the border.  

Also, very few other countries (including most "western" countries) have biometric passports of any kind.  

You are saying that those people don't get in at all?  The implication from your statement is that the US is closed except to the "foreigners" of two or three nations, worldwide. 

Everybody I had seen in the non-resident lines at immigration at US airports had to put their fingers on a fingerprint scanner. I've also heard it from a lot of other people. But my sample is necessarily small. It could be that this was only for people without a biometric passport. While the US is requiring biometric passports for visa-free entry, they gave a fairly long grace period such that I can still go there without one but when my current passport expires (which it does next year), the new one will have biometric features.

EDIT: From Wikipedia (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/US-VISIT):

Initially, only visitors who required a visa inserted in their passport were included in the US-VISIT program. However, since September 30, 2004, visitors eligible for the Visa Waiver Program have also been required to use the US-VISIT program. Beginning January 18, 2009, most non-U.S. citizens (including lawful permanent residents) are subject to US-VISIT requirements.

EDIT 2: If you don't believe Wikipedia, here is .gov website (http://www.dhs.gov/xlibrary/assets/usvisit/usvisit_edu_10-fingerprint_consumer_friendly_content_1400_words.pdf):

For more than five years, Department of State consular officers and U.S. Customs and Border Protection (CBP) officers have been collecting biometrics—two digital fingerprints and a photograph—from all non-U.S. citizens between the ages of 14 and 79, with some exceptions, when they apply for visas or arrive at U.S. ports of entry

(One of the exceptions is for Canadians.)

And have a look at this map from Wikipedia, your statement that "very few other countries (including most Western countries) have biometric passports of any kind" could not be further from the truth:

• Reply 128 of 211

Interesting. Perhaps most interesting of all to me is where are the part leaks for such a button? I hope this means that Apple can still keep a supply chain secret - even if this specific rumors turns out to be untrue!

• Reply 129 of 211
    mdriftmeyermdriftmeyer Posts: 7,503member

The button will work as always. The seemless sensor tech built into the button for finger print verification would work as a secondary piece of functionality required to unlock the system if put in a locked state.

• Reply 130 of 211

I guess he doesn't know that timepieces have been using sapphire crystals for decades.
  • Reply 131 of 211
    jragostajragosta Posts: 10,473member

So? He was incorrect and someone corrected him. Maybe he'll take the opportunity to learn something.
  • Reply 132 of 211

A convex button within a concave space may be the way to go when it comes to accidental clicking. 

• Reply 133 of 211
    ppietrappietra Posts: 288member

Quote:

Originally Posted by Slurpy View Post

KDarling, you should definitely send Apple an email with your concerns, which took you a few seconds of think of. No doubt over the years and months of developing implementing, and testing this technology, that they certainly did not think of or test any of these fundamental concepts on a device that will sell in the hundreds of millions. Almost every single major decision that Apple has ever taken was defined as a "terrible idea" by armchair CEOs everywhere- after which these decisions and concepts became massive successes with none of the issue that people concerned-trolled about. One would think you would have a bit more humility than having absolute confidence that all these things are "terrible ideas", without having a second of hands-on knowledge about any of them, and knowing that Apple has spent thousands of hours of testing.  

you are assuming that Apple is actually doing all this, disregarding that this is just a rumor from someone who hasn‘t seen the device! Most arguments are about whether the rumor as presented is logical. 

It doesn‘t seem logical. It would not be easy to shape a convex sapphire slice, and a convex (or concave) shape hinders scan reproducibility because it deforms the finger unevenly. I also doubt that the actual sensor could take a convex or concave shape

• Reply 134 of 211
    philboogiephilboogie Posts: 7,675member
    The amount of people with in depth knowledge on fingerprint tech is staggering. Maybe Apple should hire all AI forum members ¡
  • Reply 135 of 211
    wisdomseed wrote: »
    A convex button within a concave space may be the way to go when it comes to accidental clicking. 

Not quite sure what you mean, but a recessed convex button whose peak is flush with the flat surface would most certainly prevent accidental clicking but would also welcome in lots of dirt and debris.
  • Reply 136 of 211
    gwmacgwmac Posts: 1,807member

It is a nice feature to add but not really a wow! feature. Do't get me wrong in that I think it will be useful and a nice differentiator from other phones but I just can't see many people citing that as a reason to buy an iPhone 5S. I see more benefit from increasing the storage from 16GB to 32GB on the base model and improving the camera for most people than adding a fingerprint scanner. 

I wouldn't mind an additional option of voice authentication with Siri. Maybe a short phrase. But right now I don't think Siri has that ability to do voice authentication but it could happen down the road as they improve the speech engine. Voice-recognition biometrics is much more reliable and secure and is already being used in the military, banking, and other sectors so no reason why it couldn't be added to Siri in the future. 

• Reply 137 of 211
    bushman4bushman4 Posts: 858member
    Glad to see the rumor mill is alive and well and building on itself. By next week .........
  • Reply 138 of 211

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bondm16 View Post

Will the phone store your own fingerprint so it knows its you when you unlock the phone? If so, do we have assurances that no one will collect said fingerprints in a database?

It doesn't read a fingerprint, so it doesn't store a fingerprint.

• Reply 139 of 211
    kdarlingkdarling Posts: 1,640member

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lord Amhran View Post

KDarling, noted anti-Apple troll, at it again.....

Originally Posted by Slurpy View Post

KDarling, you should definitely send Apple an email with your concerns...

Apparently you and a few other rude people, cannot tell the difference between debating an ANALYST RUMOR and an actual Apple design.

Quote:

Originally Posted by jragosta View Post

Not a problem at all. For example:

http://www.ultra-thin.com/sapphire.htm

Thank you very much for the link.  Let me check if 25 microns would be thin enough.  The capacitive/RF fingerprint sensor patents I've read mention one or two microns.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Macky the Macky View Post

Hello!!?? They ain't gonna be scanning no fingers, especially a whole finger!! The devices reads the biometrics in a wholly different way than looking at the ridges ON the finger's surface.

Assuming they're using an RF type of sensor, all it's doing is reading the tiniest bit deeper than, and not relying on air gaps like, DC capacitive scanners.

The problem is, a convex surface would deform the finger ridges and dermis underneath, in different ways each time.  That's why scanners are flat.   So a flat button sensor would make a lot more sense all around.

The original rumor article said:

Quote:

"By using a convex home button instead of the familiar concave design, Apple will be able to make room for the much rumored fingerprint sensor without losing precious internal space, according to well-informed KGI analyst Ming-Chi Kuo."

The button is already thick enough inside for a sensor (especially with a remote chip, as Authentec has patented).   Going slightly convex is unnecessary, and ... as I pointed out before... would cause unnecessary extra problems with reading prints, creating a "sapphire layer" over it, and for users who opt out of the recognition.

Convex just doesn't make technical or practical sense for any currently known fingerprint sensor technology.

• Reply 140 of 211
    charlitunacharlituna Posts: 7,217member

Quote:

Originally Posted by KDarling View Post

Also, the home button isn't big enough for a whole-finger scanner, so you'd need to swipe, and a raised button sounds like it would easily get clicked.

That was the thought that I had. Unless it isn't going to require a whole finger scan but just the main whorl, but how effective is that 

I really do wonder if folks are taking this acquisitions implications way too far, at least at this point. Perhaps, for the moment, it has nothing to do with security is is for a more simplistic use like improving general screen response including palm rest type systems