Rumor: New iPhones to debut as 'iPhone 5S' and 'iPhone 5C'

Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2014
Adding to a mounting pile of rumors about Apple's upcoming iPhone offerings, a report on Sunday claims a new plastic model will be called the "iPhone 5C," while the iPhone 5 follow-up is to be dubbed "iPhone 5S" and will come in a gold color option.

Lite
Rendering of "iPhone 5C" based on reportedly leaked schematics.

Citing an industry source, Japanese Apple blog Mac Otakara seemingly confirmed suspicions that 2013 will be an "S" model year for the flagship iPhone, a naming scheme Apple uses for phones with upgraded components, but no external design changes.

In addition, the person noted a much-rumored less expensive iPhone model will be called the "iPhone 5C." Speculation regarding the "iPhone 5C" name first appeared in late July, when an image surfaced showing a basket of plastic consumer packaging, each emblazoned with an "iPhone 5C" logo.

Aside from the supposed iPhone names, the publication's source concurred with KGI analyst Ming-Chi Kuo's predictions regarding the two handsets' specifications. In a report earlier this year, Kuo said he believes the iPhone 5S will carry a custom-designed Apple A7 processor and an upgraded rear-camera, which will feature lens enhancements, but no resolution change. As for the "iPhone 5C," the analyst said that unit will be wrapped in a composite plastic and fiberglass shell.

The publication goes on to say that a new gold color option will be introduced for the iPhone 5S this year, a rumor in line with supposed parts leaks from June.

Finally, the source claimed Apple will remove the familiar rectangular icon on the iPhone's home button, but did not explain the reasoning behind the change. Kuo, in a research note released on Saturday, said Apple had to tweak the design of the iPhone's home button to support a fingerprint sensor. The new part is said to be slightly convex and will be made of sapphire instead of plastic.

Apple has yet to announce either an iPhone 5S or iPhone 5C, but a report from AllThingsD on Saturday said the company will likely announce its new smartphone products at an event on Sept. 10.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 51
    If the iPhone 5S has a convex home button, I'll wait & get the iPhone 6.
  • Reply 2 of 51
    palegolaspalegolas Posts: 1,361member
    The rectangular icon I guess is an app symbol. But if indeed the new home button will be a finger print scanner I guess another icon would make sense. Either that or perhaps an image can't cover the fingerprint sensor because of interference with the sensor?
  • Reply 3 of 51
    palegolaspalegolas Posts: 1,361member
    The 6 will be rad ;)
    I wonder if that on-screen fingerprint sensor tech will be ready by then.
  • Reply 4 of 51

And if the 6 has a convex button?
  • Reply 5 of 51
    asciiascii Posts: 5,936member
    iPhone Cheap and iPhone 'Spensive. ;)

I'm guessing they will discontinue all other/older models at the same time.
  • Reply 6 of 51
    applguyapplguy Posts: 235member
    A few 5C replacement parts have been listed here for a few weeks. www.tvc-mall.com/product/wholesale-iphone-5C-replacement-parts/
    There's also a few 5s parts most notably a SIM card holder that is beige.

My thinking is they will discontinue the 4 and 4S replaced with the 5S and 5C. This will streamline the supply chain for various reasons - screen size, connector.
  • Reply 7 of 51
    relicrelic Posts: 4,735member

Quote:

Originally Posted by palegolas View Post

The 6 will be rad image

Yep and I'm sure you fill it up with your extensive 80's music collection.image

• Reply 8 of 51
    adonissmuadonissmu Posts: 1,776member

Goldman Sachs bought up all of the aluminum. So I guess gold was the next best thing... 

• Reply 9 of 51
  • Reply 10 of 51
    I guess I'll play it by ear. If its going to be something Apple will continue with, then I'll get it. I just don't think a convex button is a great idea. But then, I'm not a designer or engineer.
  • Reply 11 of 51
    ksecksec Posts: 1,569member
    Am i the only thinking those are some fugly colours?
  • Reply 12 of 51
    gtrgtr Posts: 3,231member
    The next iPhone can be twice as slow, have a screen half the size of the last one, and a build quality that has it falling apart in my hands for all I care.

Just sell a f*cking dock with it and I'll buy one.

• Reply 13 of 51

Quote:

Originally Posted by ksec View Post

Yup. You are the only. ;)

• Reply 14 of 51
    jason98jason98 Posts: 768member
    With a convex home button Apple won't be able to claim true 7.6mm thickness, otherwise they gonna put themselves in line with the rest of the manufacturerers who discount camera bump from overall thickness of their devices.
  • Reply 15 of 51
    murmanmurman Posts: 159member

Quote:

Originally Posted by kiraniumbra View Post

What if on the iPhone 6 makes you spit your phone instead? Kkkrrrrgggh-pptuh ....

• Reply 17 of 51
    ksec wrote: »

I like the baby blue, are they just painted or does the colour run through like with the Nokia Lumia.
  • Reply 18 of 51
    They can add an alcohol and drug sensor to tell parents if their kids are under the influence.
  • Reply 19 of 51
    jb510jb510 Posts: 129member
    The schedule for the iPhone 5 was:
    Sept. 4th announced event,
    Sept. 12th announced phone at event,
    Sept. 14th started pre-orders,
    Sept. 19th started delivery

Based on that, we can roughly we can expect the 5s will go something like this:
    Week of Sept. 2nd announce event for Sept. 10/11th.
    Pre-Orders Sept 13th
    Deliveries Sept 18th.

Awful timing for me since I'm headed overseas that week. Probably couldn't get it unlocked in time to take with me anyway.
  • Reply 20 of 51
    So now the "S" will stand for "Sapphire"?