Apple's 'iPhone 5S' to boast fingerprint sensor embedded in convex sapphire home button

15678911»

Comments

• Reply 201 of 211
    kdarling wrote: »
    <span style="line-height:1.231;">From what I've read the new AuthenTec technology is radically different. It was shopped around (for development) -- then Apple bought the company, gaining exclusivity.</span>
    <span style="line-height:1.231;">It's not the feature. itself -- it's what the feature enables (with the proper infrastructure). Simply stated it allows you to:</span>
    • have secure access to all your stuff (wherever it exists).
    • have entry into secured areas (home, office, school, etc.)
    • to securely buy/pay for things
    • to avail yourself of services (tollroads, trains, etc.)

Of course, that's all available without a fingerprint sensor.

Not as conveniently, reliably or as enabling!

<span style="line-height:1.231;">Fingerprint sensors have been around for a long time, and never got popular even when they worked well.</span>

Think of it as a master key to "you". The access to your world is through your iPhone -- and the iPhone can identify you to the world -- to whatever level you desire.

<span style="line-height:1.231;">So maybe Apple isn't exactly using it for authentication alone.  It feels like something else is up.  Something unexpected.</span>

It's both authentication an enablement! "Hey world [credit card terminal, ATM, toll gate, turnstile, cash register, etc.] this is Dick Applebaum -- and you can trust any information he chooses to give you!"

<span style="line-height:1.231;">Like maybe having a capacitive Home button that recognizes when you mash your finger down on it, distorting the whorls. </span>
  • Reply 202 of 211
    jason98 wrote: »
    I bet that Oprah will be first in line for this service :D

I thought Oprah is all but sold to Microsoft and its RT Tablet, she even tweeted about it to the world from her iPad. :)

http://fox8.com/2013/08/09/oprah-shop-assistant-refused-to-show-her-expensive-handbag/
  • Reply 203 of 211
    kdarlingkdarling Posts: 1,640member

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dick Applebaum View Post

It's both authentication an enablement! "Hey world [credit card terminal, ATM, toll gate, turnstile, cash register, etc.] this is Dick Applebaum -- and you can trust any information he chooses to give you!"

If so, then a next question is:  will they allow more than one user per device?

Not only would that be useful for profiles, but it'd avoid situations like:

Kids:  Mom, can you go back to the counter and order us another burger?

Mom:  Get it yourself.  Here's my phone and ... oh darn.  I forgot that it only works for me.   Sure wish that I could add one of your fingerprints, with a spending limit.

Ditto for hubby scenarios, etc.

• Reply 204 of 211

Quote:

Originally Posted by Suddenly Newton View Post

Cue the finger-amputating thieves posts...

A sensor could also read oxygen sats and pulse.

• Reply 205 of 211

Mom:  Get it yourself.  Here's my phone and ... oh darn.  I forgot that it only works for me.   Sure wish that I could add one of your fingerprints, with a spending limit.

That's a good question/idea.

There are several ways of handling that. You could have multiple fingerprint hashes and enablement profiles on the iPhone -- so Mom could just give a kid the device (with a pre-authorized limit) -- or set a limit on-the-spot.

I do not think that this should be used to share the device -- I believe that each person should have his own device.

This is for incidental ad hoc use -- like giving the kid some cash to buy something from the ice cream truck... or the keys to open the car.
  • Reply 206 of 211

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bloodshotrollin'red View Post

A sensor could also read oxygen sats and pulse.

Good idea, and in fact some do have software that looks for a pulse, to help foil using fake fingers.

• Reply 207 of 211
    jragostajragosta Posts: 10,473member

Do you ever get tired of coming up with stupid scenarios and then using some scenario that will occur once in a century to bash Apple?
  • Reply 208 of 211

Quote:

Originally Posted by jragosta View Post

Do you ever get tired of coming up with stupid scenarios and then using some scenario that will occur once in a century to bash Apple?

Why do you think everything applies only to Apple?

The multi-user scenario is a consideration for any device that uses a fingerprint sensor for authentication.

Especially in the far flung situations that Dick and I were talking about, where in theory you get used to paying for everything via fingerprint.

As for "once in a century", you must not have kids.

• Reply 209 of 211
    jragostajragosta Posts: 10,473member
    Why do you think everything applies only to Apple?

The multi-user scenario is a consideration for any device that uses a fingerprint sensor for authentication.

Especially in the far flung situations that Dick and I were talking about, where in theory you get used to paying for everything via fingerprint.

As for "once in a century", you must not have kids.

Yes, I have kids. And I still think it's a ridiculous reason to bash Apple. But, then, you don't have any good reasons so you always use stupid reasons.

For your complaint to be valid, all of the following must happen:

1. Apple must release an iPhone with fingerprint sensor (which hasn't happened yet).
    2. They must have a way to use it to pay for items like fast food (that's already possible, so I'll give you that one).
    3. A significant number of fast food restaurants must use it (which hasn't happened).
    4. There must be no alternative way to use it. That is just bloody unlikely. Of course there will be other ways to use it.
    5. The imaginary family must get their food - and not get enough. If you've seen the serving sizes in most fast food restaurants, if they're still hungry, they need to seriously go on a diet. I don't think I've EVER gone back for seconds in a fast food restaurant, nor have my kids.
    6. They must not carry any cash.
    7. The parents are unable to get up out of their seats - probably because of eating all that fast food and going back for seconds.
    8. Apple never considered any scenario where a person would let someone else use their phone to buy something.

The scenario you've outlined is just so implausible that it's irrelevant for planning purposes.
  • Reply 210 of 211

Quote:

Originally Posted by jragosta View Post

Yes, I have kids. And I still think it's a ridiculous reason to bash Apple. But, then, you don't have any good reasons so you always use stupid reasons.

Sorry to disappoint, but nobody was bashing on Apple.  How could anyone, since they don't even have such a device.

As for the prior scenario, it's not unusual for a single parent or babysitter to be willing to let an older kid go back up to the counter, but they themselves want to stay with the baby.   And sure, it's easy to get caught without cash.

It's not just fast food joints. There are other situations, such as being in an idling car and needing to send someone back in to get a forgotten item at a store.  

The whole point of the discussion was to figure out what problems might arise if we were to depend on fingerprints instead of cash or cards, and what the solutions might be. 

• Reply 211 of 211
    robmrobm Posts: 1,068member
    deleted