Skype for iPad adds HD video calling, CBS Sports gains live video

Posted:
in iPad edited August 2014
Skype users that own the newest iPad can now take advantage of its HD front camera, as the app saw an update today, and meanwhile the CBS Sports app has added the ability for viewers to stream live video of events.

Skype goes HD

Version 4.10 of the Skype for iPad app allows owners of the fourth-generation iPad to make HD quality video calls from their devices. The app update also contains general improvements to call quality and stability on that device.

In addition to those two features, the update has general fixes and improvements to app functionality. It also features a redesigned country code picker on the dial pad.

Skype for iPad is available as a free download in the App Store. The 31.1MB download is compatible with iPads running iOS 5.0 or later.

CBS Sports gets full iPad support, live video

CBS Interactive's CBS Sports app saw an update on Monday, bringing it to version 6.0. Thanks to the update, the app is now fully compatible with the iPad, and users can watch live video from their devices now.

Previous updates to the app brought MLB GameTrackers, key players in games, and NBA on-court stats. The app provides live video access to NCAA Basketball from January through April, the PGA Tour from May through August, and SEC football games from September through December. Users can also get on-demand access to highlights, analysis, and original video content.

The CBS Sports app update is a free download on the App Store. The 15.1MB download is compatible with iPhones, iPods, and iPads running iOS 6.0 or later.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 34
    icoco3icoco3 Posts: 1,474member

There goes your mobile bandwidth...

• Reply 2 of 34
    Who cares, use FaceTime.
  • Reply 3 of 34
    gwmacgwmac Posts: 1,807member

Quote:

Originally Posted by icoco3 View Post

There goes your mobile bandwidth...

Most people that will use Skype on an iPad will do so at home or at least on a wifi connection somewhere. LTE will also handle this very easily and I have unlimited LTE data on Sprint so I wouldn't need to worry about how much data a Skype video call would use. 

• Reply 4 of 34

Quote:

Originally Posted by alphafox View Post

Who cares, use FaceTime.

I care. Facetime only works on iOS devices and in case you haven't noticed the majority of devices in use are not running iOS. SInce I can't control what device my friends and family choose to buy I need Skype to communicate with people on Android or even on  Windows computers. Skype offers true interoperability and is platform agnostic whereas FaceTime is far more limited audience. Apple should open FaceTime to other platforms if they seriously want to compete with Skype. 

• Reply 5 of 34
    If Time Warner is your provider you can kiss off CBS Sports via Wi-Fi at home. Hell, I tried watching Big Brother using AT&T LTE and the CBS app last night and it was blocked. Last week it worked. Don't know how CBS can block AT&T over a Time Warner issue, but they are.
  • Reply 6 of 34
    mstonemstone Posts: 11,510member

Quote:

Originally Posted by Robin Huber View Post

If Time Warner is your provider you can kiss off CBS Sports via Wi-Fi at home. Hell, I tried watching Big Brother using AT&T LTE and the CBS app last night and it was blocked. Last week it worked. Don't know how CBS can block AT&T over a Time Warner issue, but they are.

I really don't understand why CBS is blocking Time Warner customers anyway. To me it only shows that CBS needs TW worse than TW needs CBS. I could understand TW blocking web streaming of CBS content but not the other way around. Seems to me that CBS should like to get as many web streamers as possible to put the hurt on TW by sucking their bandwidth and their ad revenues. But I guess their strategy is to piss off TW customers in to switching to Verizon or AT&T as their carrier, where available, or perhaps just encouraging customers to send in complaints and threaten to bail although many of them are probably under contract with TW bundles.

I watch CBS OTA anyway.

• Reply 7 of 34
    MacProMacPro Posts: 19,718member
    Is this just for those with HD TV traditional accounts with a provider or can events be streamed by those of us with just high speed internet?
  • Reply 8 of 34
    alphafoxalphafox Posts: 132member
    Get all your friends and family to use apple products and use FaceTime.
  • Reply 9 of 34

Quote:

Originally Posted by alphafox View Post

Get all your friends and family to use apple products and use FaceTime.

Yeah that is SO much easier than just using Skype which already works on all devices. Why didn't I think of that. image

• Reply 10 of 34

Skype feels like an MS/Google product and feels clunky.

FaceTime feels like an Apple product and is way superior.

• Reply 11 of 34

Quote:

Originally Posted by mstone View Post

I really don't understand why CBS is blocking Time Warner customers anyway. To me it only shows that CBS needs TW worse than TW needs CBS. I could understand TW blocking web streaming of CBS content but not the other way around. Seems to me that CBS should like to get as many web streamers as possible to put the hurt on TW by sucking their bandwidth and their ad revenues. But I guess their strategy is to piss off TW customers in to switching to Verizon or AT&T as their carrier, where available, or perhaps just encouraging customers to send in complaints and threaten to bail although many of them are probably under contract with TW bundles.

I watch CBS OTA anyway.

This little fight is going to backfire on both of these stupid companies. I'm not smart enough to know what the next step will be, but I do know these guys are dinosaurs and it's the beginning of the end! 

• Reply 12 of 34

Quote:

Originally Posted by christopher126 View Post

Skype feels like an MS/Google product and feels clunky.

FaceTime feels like an Apple product and is way superior.

FaceTime is a one trick pony. Skype is a full featured suite of communication protocols including file sharing, txt, voice, telephony, video and cross platform compatibility.

• Reply 13 of 34
    tallest skiltallest skil Posts: 43,388member

Originally Posted by gwmac View Post

Yeah that is SO much easier than just using Skype which already works on all devices. Why didn't I think of that. image

Taking the lazy way out seems so apropos for you.

• Reply 14 of 34
    freerangefreerange Posts: 1,597member
    gwmac wrote: »
    I care. Facetime only works on iOS devices and in case you haven't noticed the majority of devices in use are not running iOS. SInce I can't control what device my friends and family choose to buy I need Skype to communicate with people on Android or even on  Windows computers. Skype offers true interoperability and is platform agnostic whereas FaceTime is far more limited audience. Apple should open FaceTime to other platforms if they seriously want to compete with Skype. 

Except that Skype sucks! I have frequent problems with simple voice calls, and now they want to add HD video? Laughable! It's just like everything else Microsoft touches...
  • Reply 15 of 34

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

Taking the lazy way out seems so apropos for you.

And taking the snarky combative approach is so apropos for you. I know I would love my friends of family to try and tell me what phone, tablet, or computer to buy. /s 

Skype is here, it is free, and it works now on all platforms. And like the other poster said I can transfer files and do so much more than FaceTime. Best of all I don't have to piss off my contacts by trying to tell them what they should buy or use since it is none of my business unless they ask for my advice or opinion. 

• Reply 16 of 34
    gwmac wrote: »
    Yeah that is SO much easier than just using Skype which already works on all devices. Why didn't I think of that. :no:

Because it doesn't work very well on all those devices!! It SUCKS!!!
  • Reply 17 of 34
    mstone wrote: »
    FaceTime is a one trick pony. Skype is a full featured suite of communication protocols including file sharing, txt, voice, telephony, video and cross platform compatibility.

And it doesn't work very well even for simple voice calls!
  • Reply 18 of 34

Quote:

Originally Posted by FreeRange View Post

Except that Skype sucks! I have frequent problems with simple voice calls, and now they want to add HD video? Laughable! It's just like everything else Microsoft touches...

I use it all the time and it works fine for me. It could be an issue on your end with your ISP, router, computer, firewall, or any number of issues. Just because you are having problems with Skype you can't make a blanket statement that it is bad. Although I will admit I prefer the old interface of Skype over the newer version which is more confusing. 

• Reply 19 of 34

Quote:

The first couple of versions for iOS were indeed flaky but the desktop versions have been rock solid all along. Since version 3 on iOS there have been substantial improvements in stability and much fewer dropped calls. They also added a feature that automatically reconnects the call if it is dropped. One should always take into consideration that VOIP is packet based and does require high bandwidth, as does FaceTime. You really can't compare VOIP reliability to traditional cellular voice. Cellular voice has a much higher priority than regular data. I use Skype almost daily and it is pretty good on iOS now, so perhaps you should give it another try with the new version.

• Reply 20 of 34

Quote:

And it doesn't work very well even for simple voice calls!

There is nothing simple about VOIP. It is subject to the unpredictability of the network especially over the cellular network. When a web page stalls momentarily you may not even notice or just chalk it up to network traffic and when the page eventually loads you continue reading. With a VOIP call you are using the same data packets and when they stall it interrupts your conversation which is annoying but it is not the fault of Skype if the packet data is not being sent quickly enough by the network provider.