Sony preps Bluetooth lens attachments for iPhones, Android phones

Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2014
A set of images leaked on Monday claim to show off a new device from Sony aimed at turning smartphones like the iPhone into something approaching a full-fledged camera.

The photos supposedly reveal Sony's "lens-camera" device, which the company is preparing to release in the near future, according to Sony Alpha Rumors. The devices will essentially pack the power of a high-end point-and-shoot camera into a lens that attaches to a smartphone and pairs with an Android or iOS app over Bluetooth.

Of the two variations planned, one will feature the same sensor-lens pairing from the Sony RX100, one of Sony's more celebrated point-and-shoot cameras of late. That will mean a 1-inch, 20.2-megapixel Exmor R sensor with a 2/1.8 Carl Zeiss lens. The other device is said to have an 18-megapixel CMOS sensor with a 10x zoom lens, similar to the $400 Sony WX150.

The DSC-QX10 and the DSC-QX100 will have built-in camera sensors, Bionz processor, Wi-Fi, near-field communications connectivity, and an SD card slot. Those wireless connectivity options, paired with the requisite mobile apps, will allow users to control the lens-cameras with their smartphones.

Judging from the leaked press shots for the devices, users will not be required to center the lenses over the built-in lens of a smartphone. A number of manufacturers have attempted to push lens attachments for devices like the iPhone, but both the success and the quality of those products have been questionable.

The new lens-cameras do not yet have a specific release date, as they have not even been announced. Some speculate, though, that Sony could well reveal them on September 4.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 32
    Interesting concept, if they could get it to work seamlessly with the phone.
  • Reply 2 of 32
    nagrommenagromme Posts: 2,834member
    Interesting approach.

But I'd probably just as soon see them keep making good cameras (Bluetooth-enabled) smaller and smaller, and leave the phone in my pocket. And that's certainly happening.

If it weren't for telephoto (and maybe light field tech), I'd have no interest in any camera beyond my iPhone.
  • Reply 3 of 32

Apple should make a camera smartphone that's more camera than phone.  Call it the iPhone Photo, or whatever.  Give it a real optical telescopic lens.  Sure, it would be "fatter," but something the size of a Canon Powershot SX260 or so would be manageable for me and probably lots of others.

• Reply 4 of 32
    tallest skiltallest skil Posts: 43,388member

Originally Posted by coffeetime View Post

Apple should make a camera smartphone that's more camera than phone.

Except it's a phone. If you want a camera, buy a camera. They won't ever do this, nor "should" they.

The best camera is the one you have on you.

• Reply 5 of 32

That's why I used a Canon PowerShot as an example.  It's not that much bigger than a phone, and I'd carry it on me in exactly the same way as I do my current iPhone 4S.  Don't get me wrong, what Apple can do with the current iPhone camera is superb, but in so many instances I find it lacking (such as a lack of zoom for videos).  Everything's a tradeoff in life.  I'd gladly tradeoff a little more width and heft for a smartphone with a much better camera.  Sure, it's not what everyone would want, but it should at least warrant a study to see if such a market existed (if they haven't done one already, that is).

• Reply 6 of 32
    ronboronbo Posts: 669member
    I wish Sony great luck with this idea. Very novel.
  • Reply 7 of 32
    shogunshogun Posts: 362member
    I question how this would work in practice. Those lenses are gigantic compared to the thickness of an iPhone. There's no way you'll put it on and leave it there forever. Therefore you'll be left dragging around a thick lens and assembly for the moments you decide to attach it... So why not actually carry around a sleek point and shoot in those cases instead? Sounds kind of ridiculous as a product, I think.
  • Reply 8 of 32
    paxmanpaxman Posts: 4,729member
    Except it's a phone.
    Except it's not. I agree with the rest of your post but to reduce the iPhone to a 'phone' is wrong, in spite of its name.
  • Reply 9 of 32
    mstonemstone Posts: 11,510member

Quote:

Originally Posted by Shogun View Post

I question how this would work in practice. Those lenses are gigantic compared to the thickness of an iPhone. There's no way you'll put it on and leave it there forever. Therefore you'll be left dragging around a thick lens and assembly for the moments you decide to attach it... So why not actually carry around a sleek point and shoot in those cases instead? Sounds kind of ridiculous as a product, I think.

I wonder if it even needs to be attached to an iPhone. If it is interacting with an app by BT and has its own sensor and SD card, theoretically one could mount it to a tall monopod and be able to see through the viewfinder through the app. I do this all the time when I want a shot from a vantage point I cannot reach. I just mount my dSLR on an expandable monopod and hold it as high as I can using the shutter timer. But you can't see what you are shooting so it is trial and error. With the Sony perhaps you could actually see your shot. Just a thought.

• Reply 10 of 32
  • Reply 11 of 32
    robin huberrobin huber Posts: 3,958member
    Much of what is in a quality point-and-shoot is already in an iPhone, or can be added via app or future evolution. What's missing is the great lens and/or sensor. It makes perfect sense to avoid duplication by letting the phone (which is really a small computer) do what it does best and let the optics people do what they do best by providing the front end. Maybe some day an optical array will replace traditional lenses, but for now I see this working.
  • Reply 12 of 32
    dreyfus2dreyfus2 Posts: 1,072member

It is an interesting idea, but with smartphone battery capacity being as limited as it is, I do not really see the point. Pumping tons of "live view" data to the phone, then transferring 20 MP files wirelessly, just to then delete 90% of them anyhow... You will have an empty phone battery in no time, while lugging around an accessory that is more bulky, and likely more expensive, than a dedicated point-and-shoot.

• Reply 13 of 32
    Coffetime, Samsung has already made a smartphone that is as much camera as it is smartphone. Its called the Galaxy S4 Zoom. Its got a full size zoom lense on its backside and other than being somewhat thicker than its regular Galaxy S4 brethern it does everything the S4 can do and everything a point and shoot digital camera can do and with the same quality as a point and shoot. Of course I am sure once apple steals the idea and releases a Iphone of similar nature all the Isheep will be raving about how amazing an innovation it is.

http://www.samsung.com/global/microsite/galaxycamera/s4zoom/
  • Reply 14 of 32
    mstonemstone Posts: 11,510member

Quote:

Originally Posted by miken72 View Post

Of course I am sure once apple steals the idea and releases a Iphone of similar nature all the Isheep will be raving about how amazing an innovation it is.

Please learn to be proper troll. It's iSheep with a small "i" and a capital "S".

• Reply 15 of 32
    robin huberrobin huber Posts: 3,958member
    [quote name="miken72" url="/t/159006/sony-preps-bluetooth-lens-attachments-for-iphones-android-phones#post_2378886"]Of course I am sure once apple steals the idea and releases a Iphone of similar nature all the Isheep will be raving about how amazing an innovation it is.

My response: Since that's never gonna happen I think my raving will be spent on something else. Apple doesn't do these freakish "if a phone mated with a ______ " contraptions that desparate competitors come up as a substitute for genuine innovation. See also gymnastic/origami tablet/laptop aboninations offered by laptop makers panicked by loss of their market.
  • Reply 16 of 32
    macslutmacslut Posts: 514member

While at first this seems interesting, there are a lot of problems.

1) Awkward size issue: The iPhone fits in your pocket and you take it everywhere, but the lens doesn't fit so easily in your pocket.  Once you put it in a protective cover, you're not saving that much space from a normal compact P&S camera.  Realistically, if I had one of these lenses, I wouldn't have it any more with me than I do now with my compact P&S.

2) Won't likely work with many cases... specifically battery cases. 

3) WiFi lag: I have apps and such that I use with my DSLR and other P&S.  They work, but aren't ideal.  You use them when you need to control the camera with your iPhone or iPad via WiFi, not because these devices create a better user experience than using the physical controls that came with the camera.  Imagine taking pictures measured in FPS versus several seconds per frame.

4) Battery: I can't imagine that the lens holds enough of a battery to match the life of an equivalent camera.  Even if it does, you're still also draining your iPhone battery when taking pictures. 

At best, assuming the device itself is flawless, and the required app is flawless, you're still looking at something that is only better than a full camera in that it has slightly less weight/size and is potentially less expensive, but there are far too many negatives to offset that little benefit.

I'll stick with a dedicated camera and Eye-Fi or any number of cameras that have built-in wifi.

• Reply 17 of 32
    macslutmacslut Posts: 514member

Quote:

Originally Posted by mstone View Post

I wonder if it even needs to be attached to an iPhone. If it is interacting with an app by BT and has its own sensor and SD card, theoretically one could mount it to a tall monopod and be able to see through the viewfinder through the app. I do this all the time when I want a shot from a vantage point I cannot reach. I just mount my dSLR on an expandable monopod and hold it as high as I can using the shutter timer. But you can't see what you are shooting so it is trial and error. With the Sony perhaps you could actually see your shot. Just a thought.

It's WiFi-Direct, and doesn't need to be attached.  Many cameras are coming out now with WiFi-Direct, and you can even get WiFi-Direct attachments.  I have one for my Canon 5D and 7D, and it works pretty well.  See http://www.cameramator.com

• Reply 18 of 32
    Having attachable cameras is great but problem will be is keeping it enough ahead of the on board camera.
  • Reply 19 of 32
    Being Bluetooth, I would think that the lens need not be attached to the phone body at all, rather it can be placed up to 10 meters away, especially as the OS simply controls the camera and displays the image that the camera sees. I can see potentially great artistry in having a lens that can be placed in a different location from the body (such as news crews putting a lens on a pole to take pictures and video from above) but also the potential for abuse. I would like to know how the lens is powered and whether that power can be augmented.
  • Reply 20 of 32
    coffeetime wrote: »
    Apple should make a camera smartphone that's more camera than phone.  Call it the iPhone Photo, or whatever.  Give it a real optical telescopic lens.  Sure, it would be "fatter," but something the size of a Canon Powershot SX260 or so would be manageable for me and probably lots of others.

QuickTake 200.