Bloomberg: Apple to debut iPad mini with Retina display, thinner iPad in 2013

Posted:
in iPad edited January 2014
Coming amidst a volley of iPhone and iPad rumors, Bloomberg is now reporting that Apple will launch a Retina iPad mini and a slimmed down full-size iPad by the end of 2013.

iPad mini

The publication cites people familiar with Apple's plans as saying the company will not only debut a redesigned 9.7-inch iPad in the fourth quarter, but is also looking to release a hotly anticipated iPad mini with Retina display before the year is out. It is unclear if the models will launch simultaneously.

One Bloomberg source said the next-generation iPad will take its design cues from the current iPad mini, including a thinner side bezel and rounded corners. There have been a number of supposed parts leaks, as well as analyst predictions, regarding Apple's next iPad, most of which point to a redesigned exterior and enhanced innards.

Last week, a photo of what is claimed to be an "iPad 5" digitizer was published by Australian repair company Macfixit. The alleged front panel was also seen in a video earlier this month, which had the part attached to a rear shell resembling the iPad mini's flat design.

As for the next-gen iPad mini, Monday's report was light on specifics, only mentioning that the tablet would include a high-resolution Retina display. Bloomberg may be hearing the same rumblings as The Wall Street Journal, which said much the same in late June. The WSJ, however, added that Apple may be using LCD panels sourced from Samsung in order to meet expectedly high demand for the 7.9-inch tablet.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 29
    Let how that this is true and that Apple will make the components in the next generation iPad Mini with Retina with current technology like the A7, 2GB of RAM, IZGO display.
  • Reply 2 of 29

Of course they're going to make a Retina Mini. Apple was the first to use high-res displays on the iPhone and iPad so it would be ridiculous to think that a year later they'll still be selling the Mini with a lower res screen.

That previous report about an A6 equipped Mini with the existing display was probably a test unit and not what we're going to actually see.

I predict the iPhone in Sept, the iPad in Oct and the Mini in Nov. All in time for the holiday quarter, but by putting the iPad first it will have some extra time to sell before the Mini drops reducing "cannibalization".

Apple looks set for a monster holiday quarter this year.

• Reply 3 of 29
    irelandireland Posts: 17,798member
    Visionary! ;-)

I would like to know when though. Please tell me it's going to be in October?
  • Reply 4 of 29
    g-noteg-note Posts: 39member
    Early Christmas present to myself.
  • Reply 5 of 29

If this is true (and it makes sense), then will there be another long dry spell again between Oct this year and summer 2014? Or has this year been anomalous?

• Reply 6 of 29
    adonissmuadonissmu Posts: 1,776member
    Please tell me itll be in september.
  • Reply 7 of 29
    g-noteg-note Posts: 39member
    If you mean iOS device dry spell then probably but not for the Mac product line. Last year we saw a bunch of refreshes for the Air, MBP etc
  • Reply 8 of 29

Quote:

Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

Coming amidst a volley of iPhone and iPad rumors, Bloomberg is now reporting that Apple will launch a Retina iPad mini and a slimmed down full-size iPad by the end of 2013.

The battery life on the new Nexus 7 stinks.  I can't see Apple doing an iPad Mini with Retina until it gets 10 hours.  I'll believe it when I see it.  

• Reply 9 of 29
    robin huberrobin huber Posts: 3,958member
    Damn, never any surprises anymore. By the time Chritmas morning gets here someone will have peeked into all of the packages.
  • Reply 10 of 29
    Yep, the battery life on the new Nexus 7 is something a stinking like 10 hours of web browsing in full HD.

Easily beaten. The new screens use low power LEDS with a very high output.
  • Reply 11 of 29
    blackbookblackbook Posts: 1,361member
    If this is true (and it makes sense), then will there be another long dry spell again between Oct this year and summer 2014? Or has this year been anomalous?

iWatch?

Tim said 2014 was going to be a busy year...
  • Reply 12 of 29
    rcfarcfa Posts: 1,124member
    Hardly a retina display on the mini, eats too much power, drives down margins, dpi is already close to retina levels due to the smaller screen, and they are not going to give up all new stuff at once and end up with supply constraints.

Last year was the year of the mini, this is going to be a big year for the regular iPad.

The speculators are only making ridiculous predictions to set up Apple's announcements as "disappointing" so the can push down the stock price after the announcements and cash in on their option strategies.

Basically a bunch of criminals manipulating the market to steal money from the stupid; and with so many clueless investors having bought aapl stock, they have an easy game.
  • Reply 13 of 29

Quote:

Originally Posted by aBeliefSystem View Post

Yep, the battery life on the new Nexus 7 is something a stinking like 10 hours of web browsing in full HD. Easily beaten. The new screens use low power LEDS with a very high output.

Here's the review from Business Insider, tripping over themselves to justify the headline, "Google Made A Tablet That's Better Than The iPad Mini," under the subheading "A Few Caveats":

Quote:

Next, there's the battery life. Google claims the Nexus 7 can get about 10 hours of battery life, but it sort of fudged the way it tested the battery by switching off the WiFi and keeping the screen's brightness very low. Under normal conditions, with the screen brightness at a higher level and the WiFi turned on, I found that the Nexus 7 only lasted about six or seven hours. I imagine most of the drain comes from the tablet's high-res screen.

• Reply 14 of 29

Quote:

Originally Posted by StruckPaper View Post

I honestly can't believe that this sentiment really exists.  Do you think Apple should be releasing some earth shattering new product every year?  Should there be a new product refresh every quarter?  Should they have a fancy press release every month sent straight to your inbox?  No.  That's ridiculous.

All we see is people complaining about buying something and how it immediately becomes obsolete.  So then Apple says, "Look: People buy for the holidays, so we're going to release stuff for the holidays."  They teach people when to buy and now you should know when you're buying an old product at risk.

Or maybe that just doesn't make sense to some people.  Maybe these are the people who invented Christmas in July.

::sigh::

Seriously... a year to wait for something nice is not that long.

• Reply 15 of 29
    Of course they're going to make a Retina Mini. Apple was the first to use high-res displays on the iPhone and iPad so it would be ridiculous to think that a year later they'll still be selling the Mini with a lower res screen.

That previous report about an A6 equipped Mini with the existing display was probably a test unit and not what we're going to actually see.

I predict the iPhone in Sept, the iPad in Oct and the Mini in Nov. All in time for the holiday quarter, but by putting the iPad first it will have some extra time to sell before the Mini drops reducing "cannibalization".

Apple looks set for a monster holiday quarter this year.
    IPad 5 before the mini, to get the big iPad sales back up, mini with retina & A7 will put a squeeze on all other tablet sales incl 5th generation iPad
  • Reply 16 of 29
    andysolandysol Posts: 2,506member
    brutus009 wrote: »
    I honestly can't believe that this sentiment really exists.  Do you think Apple should be releasing some earth shattering new product every year?  Should there be a new product refresh every quarter?  Should they have a fancy press release every month sent straight to your inbox?  No.  That's ridiculous.

Well- he has a point. Up until this year, we had an iPad in March-April and twice last year. Up until last year, we had an iPhone every summer. And up until two years ago, we had iPods every fall. So... Ipad in spring, iPhone in summer, iPods in fall with a sprinkling of Macs, airports, and Apple TV to fill the holes.

What have we had this year, airports and MacBook airs. That's it. Now we will likely get the MacBook pros, iMacs, Mac minis, iPad, ipad mini, iPhone, and potentially iPods all within 2.5 months time.

While I'm not saying this new release strategy is a bad one, it is a big departure from the past few years.
  • Reply 17 of 29
    I like the idea of a low cost iPad Mini to go along with the low cost iPhone. An iPad Mini with the current screen and an A6 processor would do very well at about $249. That would leave room for the new premium models with retina and the A7 processor starting at the current $329. It also matches the iPod Touch which starts with a lower ended model at $229 and 16 GB and then goes to the premium model starting at $299.
  • Reply 18 of 29
    Apple's articles are always with Samsung.
  • Reply 19 of 29

Quote:

Originally Posted by Harry Wild View Post

Let how that this is true and that Apple will make the components in the next generation iPad Mini with Retina with current technology like the A7, 2GB of RAM, IZGO display.

IGZO isn't today's tech.

The A7 isn't todays tech.

2gb ram are only being used on phones that are running Android because the thing is far from optimazed like iOS.

• Reply 20 of 29

I am still using my version 1.0 iPad .... or at least I am Trying to use it.

One by one my APPs have updates that only work with IOS 6 -- which will not work on the original iPad.   There is usually no way to download the older version of the APP - and so I can no longer use it. My iPad is still great for email and for reading books - but I would love it to be lighter ,,,,

Now I am ready to place my order for the latest full-sized iPad - and I hoped that it would be released along with the new iPhone in September .... sooner si better for me.